Menu

American history books

9 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Chapter books, picture books, or textbooks/spines? Or all of the above?

Well…we just finished up going through a full history cycle. I thought we would do a year of geography next, BUT life is busy right now, so I thought I’d hold off until the start of the school year. My boys really enjoyed American history so I thought I’d get a stack of books for them to read through for the rest of the year. Heavy on something enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I pulled up my kid's list from last year to see what he liked then (at age 11). He loved all the History Smashers graphic novel style books. A Lion to Guard Us, Guns for General Washington, Noah Webster: Master of Words, and I think I recall him liking Hattie Big Sky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, desertflower said:

The War that Saved My Life and it's sequel, The War That I won by Kimberly Bradley

We loved those too, but I think they take place in England.

Matchlock Gun, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Sign of the Beaver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Favorite fiction here:
Blood on the River, Jamestown 1607

Ransom of Mercy Carter (Deerfield, MA massacre and kidnapping)

Streams to the River, River to the Sea (along with Lewis and Clark and Me)

Some of the Dear America books

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple- Gold rush from the point of view of those who didn't strike it rich.

Turn Homeward Hannalee / Be Ever Faithful, Hannalee - two books: one during the civil war about how mill hands were kidnapped to shut down productivity and the other about the aftermath and dealing with split families, reconstruction, and big feelings

Lions of Little Rock (the year after school integration)

There are some fabulous picture books out there, too:

An Inconvenient Alphabet - how Ben Franklin wanted to change the English language

The Remarkable Ride of Israel Bissel (As Told By Molly The Crow) - a great companion to Paul Revere's Midnight Ride

The Taxing Case of the Cows - suffrage, court case of sisters taxed unfairly

The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation on Trial - Boston, 1855.  You'll recognize her lawyer's name in regards to Lincoln.

Separate is Never Equal - forced segregation in CA between Latinos and whites in the school system

And some compilations:

Vicki Leon has two sets: Outrageous Women of ______ Times and a shorter story version.  We liked the Outrageous Women better.

Usborne's Tales of WWI and WWII: Many of the stories are told from the POV of Americans

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LauraClark said:

It’s ok too. I just chose American history because it has been their favorite overall, BUT they just enjoy history in general. We already read Matchlock Gun and Witch of Blackbird Pond,  but not sign of the Beaver. I will get that one for sure.

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I wanted to add , I asked them their more specific favorite parts and my 12 year old said westward expand and my 10 year old said he liked learning about inventors such as Edison and the Wright Brothers

It's underrated, but Skitterbrain is an interesting story taking place during the Westward Expansion and early cowboy days.  A 12yo girl ends up going in search of her family's cow and ends up enlisting the aid of a similar aged boy to help her get it back from the mega herds being driven across the prairie.

Your youngest might like a book on Benjamin Banneker.  We used a simpler book called What Are You Figuring Now for this after the picture book Molly Banneky, but it sparked an interest in ds in engineering and surveying.  When we went to DC he was thrilled to see how Banneker's work still lived.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LauraClark said:

Oh sorry OP!  Good to know. I didn’t read them, my son did. 😃

Thanks for pointing that out Laura. 

We're doing This Country of Ours and The Story of Canada. They pair well together.  For TCO, I use a guide from Mater Amabilis, which helps us discuss the way our history is told in a more modern way.  It points out bias and offenses that may be present in the writing. It's a great way to discuss how things were perceived then and how we view them now.

• Like 1

Not a book, but you might check out the units from icivics. They have some really good units that are really very easy to implement, just print out a couple of things and otherwise click the link and follow the slideshow. They get kids looking at what you can learn from primary sources. My 10 and 12 year old boys really enjoyed several of them earlier this school year. We did one that looked at what you could learn from the contents of someone's pockets, and some others about various parts of the bill of rights and how they applied to certain court cases. 

Another year, I printed out some of their general US-based infographics, and we talked about things like peaceful transfer of power when a new president takes office. 

My kids also enjoyed a book about Lewis and Clark, told from the dog's perspective. I think it was Seaman's Journal. 

Edited by happypamama
  • Thanks 2

We enjoyed  The Complete Book of U.S. History.
There are 10 units, with each unit covering a variety of topics occurring in the time frame of that unit. A number of the topics were really interesting -- little-covered/more unusual topics. The book covers from pre-history through about 1990.

Also the Holling C. Holling books + the geography map pack from Beautiful Feet publishers. The Holling titles that overlap with American History:
- Paddle to the Sea
- The Tree in the Trail
- Minn of the Mississippi

A few U.S. historical fiction books we enjoyed in the upper elementary years:
- 1769 = Sign of the Beaver (George) -- colonial and Native American boys
- 1800 = Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasma) -- true teen Native girl who was friend of Sacajawea and escaped her Native captors and traveled on foot 1000 miles back to her tribe
- 1849 = By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- Gold Rush / clipper ships
- 1860 = The Great Turkey Walk -- based on a true person/event; teen boy who bought and herded a giant flock of turkeys 1000 miles west
- Civil War = Rebel Spy (Reit) -- Civil War; true teen girl who dressed as a boy and spied for the Union
- Civil War = The Battle of Bull Run (Fleischman) -- the Civil War battle told in short bites from 16 different perspectives/characters

Biographies we enjoyed:
- Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt (Fritz)
- Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling)
- George Washington Carver (Collins)

And a few other titles that might be enjoyable:
- 1831 = Longwalker's Journey -- based on the author's real great-great-grandfather who blazed a trail for his Choctaw people into Indian Territory
- Civil War = The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg (Philbrick) 
- The Oregon Trail: An Interactive  (You Choose History series)
- Presenting Buffalo Bill: The Man Who Invented the Wild West (Fleming)

Some of Steve Sheinkin's nonfiction:
- Wild West: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
- Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon
- Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team
- Two Miserable Presidents (Lincoln & Jefferson / Civil War)
- The Notorious Benedict Arnold (Colonial / Revolutionary War)

Or Albert Marrin's nonfiction:
- Cowboys, Indians, and Gunfighters: Story of the Cattle Kingdom
- A Time of Fear: America in the Era of Red Scares and Cold Wars
- The Great Adventure: Theodore Roosevelt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I wanted to add , I asked them their more specific favorite parts and my 12 year old said westward expand and my 10 year old said he liked learning about inventors such as Edison and the Wright Brothers

Have you read any Holling C Holling books? Those are packed with history. Tree in the Trail is about westward expansion.

Eta: Oh, nevermind, I see Lori included it in her list 😉

Edited by LauraClark
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lori D. said:

We enjoyed  The Complete Book of U.S. History.
There are 10 units, with each unit covering a variety of topics occurring in the time frame of that unit. A number of the topics were really interesting -- little-covered/more unusual topics. The book covers from pre-history through about 1990.

Also the Holling C. Holling books + the geography map pack from Beautiful Feet publishers. The Holling titles that overlap with American History:
- Paddle to the Sea
- The Tree in the Trail
- Minn of the Mississippi

A few U.S. historical fiction books we enjoyed in the upper elementary years:
- 1769 = Sign of the Beaver (George) -- colonial and Native American boys
- 1800 = Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasma) -- true teen Native girl who was friend of Sacajawea and escaped her Native captors and traveled on foot 1000 miles back to her tribe
- 1849 = By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- Gold Rush / clipper ships
- 1860 = The Great Turkey Walk -- based on a true person/event; teen boy who bought and herded a giant flock of turkeys 1000 miles west
- Civil War = Rebel Spy (Reit) -- Civil War; true teen girl who dressed as a boy and spied for the Union
- Civil War = The Battle of Bull Run (Fleischman) -- the Civil War battle told in short bites from 16 different perspectives/characters

Biographies we enjoyed:
- Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt (Fritz)
- Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling)
- George Washington Carver (Collins)

And a few other titles that might be enjoyable:
- 1831 = Longwalker's Journey -- based on the author's real great-great-grandfather who blazed a trail for his Choctaw people into Indian Territory
- Civil War = The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg (Philbrick) 
- The Oregon Trail: An Interactive  (You Choose History series)
- Presenting Buffalo Bill: The Man Who Invented the Wild West (Fleming)

Some of Steve Sheinkin's nonfiction:
- Wild West: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
- Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon
- Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team
- Two Miserable Presidents (Lincoln & Jefferson / Civil War)
- The Notorious Benedict Arnold (Colonial / Revolutionary War)

Or Albert Marrin's nonfiction:
- Cowboys, Indians, and Gunfighters: Story of the Cattle Kingdom
- A Time of Fear: America in the Era of Red Scares and Cold Wars
- The Great Adventure: Theodore Roosevelt

What a list! Thanks!

My youngest read these in fifth grade. 

Sees Behind Trees

The Kidnapped Prince

Game of Silence

Dreams from Many Rivers (poetry)

Never Caught: The Story of Ona Judge

I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly

How I Became a Ghost

Coolies

Sugar

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Esperanza Rising

Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom

Ninth Ward

Towers Falling

Finish the Fight

They Called Us Enemy

An Indigenous People's History of the United States for Young People would cover westward expansion. We read this one along with the young reader versions of Different Mirror and A People's History of the United States, and the kids Stamped. 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1