Menu

So many letters to different people coming to our house

DawnM

I am so confused.

The previous owners lived here for 5 years and the ones before them were here almost 10.

But we have gotten mail for the following last names (all with different first names)

Hartman

Colton

Pollack

Buchanan 

Marshall

Lee

Wilson

Why are all of these people using this mailing address?  I know that isn't a question anyone can answer, but yes, they are all addressed to our address, no incorrect address delivery.   

It is all junk mail or Christmas cards, or bills.   Nothing overly important that we can see.

Weird.

That is weird. Although, my dh’s sister and her dh lived with my in-laws for a time while they were building a house, and mail with their name continued to go there for the rest of the time my in-laws owned the house ~ 20 years. So, if either previous owner let someone live with them or receive mail there, that could be why.

Alternatively, your sellers were committing identity theft. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, scholastica said:

That is weird. Although, my dh’s sister and her dh lived with my in-laws for a time while they were building a house, and mail with their name continued to go there for the rest of the time my in-laws owned the house ~ 20 years. So, if either previous owner let someone live with them or receive mail there, that could be why.

Alternatively, your sellers were committing identity theft. 

I dont' think so, he was a pastor.   But, well, ya never know.....

• Haha 1

I had my parent mail forwarded to my house when mom entered a nursing home. They have both passed away and they get more mail at my house than we do, and they have never lived here. I’m am sure that long after we move, they will still get mail here.

• Like 1

It's possible that the pastor (or the previous homeowners) allowed people to stay in their home or rent a room. Or the previous homeowners could have been renters.  There are a lot of situations that are possible that wouldn't concern me.

• Like 3

I started getting multiple text messages from a lawfirm about a class action suit (and other things) for someone.  I did answer the phone once and said "you got the wrong number" - but I still get them on occasion.  I've had this phone number for 20+ years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I dont' think so, he was a pastor.   But, well, ya never know.....

I could imagine a pastor perhaps having various guests that might have stayed long enough to receive mail - like missionaries on furlough.  Or maybe renting a room out to make ends meet on a pastor's small salary. 

• Like 3

Would a pastor let parishioners with housing insecurity use their address for mail?  I really have no idea if this is a thing or not, but it came to mind as a potential explanation.

Or renting a room.  Or a family where spouse and kids all have different last names -- definitely not rare in blended families.

• Like 1

When we moved into a brand new home 2 years ago, we got all kinds of mail for people who clearly never lived here. Eventually our mail person stopped putting it in our box.(we have USPS informed delivery. I could see mail that was then never delivered. )

• Like 1

We get mail for the past 3 families who lived in our house.  Some of it is college, one is retirement junk mail.  I just tried to "not at this address" some of it, but noticed in my informed delivery today that it is all coming back.  sigh.  I have no solutions, but now I understand why it's still coming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kirstenhill said:

I could imagine a pastor perhaps having various guests that might have stayed long enough to receive mail - like missionaries on furlough.  Or maybe renting a room out to make ends meet on a pastor's small salary. 

They did not.   They had 5 kids and homeschooled.   He is a pastor of a large church and makes a decent amount I think.

3 hours ago, wathe said:

Would a pastor let parishioners with housing insecurity use their address for mail?  I really have no idea if this is a thing or not, but it came to mind as a potential explanation.

Or renting a room.  Or a family where spouse and kids all have different last names -- definitely not rare in blended families.

They were married for the duration of all of their children being born, no blending.   No idea about letting others use his address but they did not rent out a room.  

7 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I get junk mail for a woman at my address. The weird thing is we built this house and the address literally didn’t exist before that. 

We are the first owners of our house, too. Somehow, Enid "ourlastname" began receiving mail here. We have no idea how/what/who she is. 

We have lived at this address for five years; we get mail at this address for multiple previous owners and for some people who we have no idea who they are.  On average we receive more mail addressed to people who do not reside here than mail for people who do reside here.  

Twice In the past month we have also had the mail carrier leave mail in our box that was picked up at houses a block away to be mailed--addressed and stamped (not mail that was misdelivered but OUTGOING mail from neighbors about 10 and 15 houses away mixed in with our INCOMING mail).  

Probably just people who were visiting or married names of different people who lived there. When dd got married, some of her mail still came her for a bit under both her married/maiden name. I do data entry for a pharmacy. People often travel and have medications mailed to addresses in other areas.

I have a few patient's who live overseas and have items mailed to a single address, then they either pick them up when they come state-side or have them mailed. I knew a pastor who did this for a few missionaries, so that is very likely the source.  

DD was home for Christmas and had packages mailed under her name to my boyfriends house. That way she didn't have to fly with Christmas gifts. 

So, many ideas come to mind! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, freesia said:

We get mail for the past 3 families who lived in our house.  Some of it is college, one is retirement junk mail.  I just tried to "not at this address" some of it, but noticed in my informed delivery today that it is all coming back.  sigh.  I have no solutions, but now I understand why it's still coming.

Have you tried blacking out the bar code at the bottom of the envelope? We stopped getting mail back when we did that. The bar code reader will cause it to be sent back, but without the bar code I think a person has to deal with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Have you tried blacking out the bar code at the bottom of the envelope? We stopped getting mail back when we did that. The bar code reader will cause it to be sent back, but without the bar code I think a person has to deal with it. 

I wondered about that. I’ll try it. 

• Like 1