Menu

Well-trained bodies - December

Laura Corin

@Laura Corin Thanks for starting the new thread! It's kind of exciting to be in December now. We got a couple inches of snow this morning, which made for lovely scenery. The walking in the woods was a little more of a work-out. 

I'm so happy for Novemeber to be done! Work has been crazy busy the entire month, and it's finally slowing down now. 

I'm looking forward to playing indoor tennis this week! 

• Like 4

Sunday - I was finishing my last essay of the semester and it was snowing. I did a half hour boosted walk video while supper was cooking.

Tomorrow I hope to swim first thing before work if the roads are reasonably clear. Eta: 850 metres, pretty fast.  Felt good.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

Hey ladies, I'm not keeping up at all but I'm here.

Dh and I are continuing our weekend hiking although I missed a couple for not feeling well. Last week when we went hiking we saw a sign for a hiking challenge this coming May. I think we will be doing it! It is 17 miles total but uphill the entire time as it is climibing up a hill, being shuttled down and doing it all over again 9 times. We don't have much elevation gain in our state so training will not be straight forward but we will be training distance and getting what hills we can. Up until now, our longest hike has been 11 miles. I think we could do the distance now but that being all elevation gain will take some training. We're considering joining a gym for the stairstepper for mid-week training. Dh is also considering just buying a little one. I know I need all 6 months to prepare as hills are still difficult for me. I can do them and it doesn't hurt but I am slow at it.

For strength training, I'm still doing weights for the upper body and bw for the lower body. I'm going to consider the hill training to be enough for that as I don't want to risk a setback on my injury. As you all know I've tried a few times to add back weights for my lower body and it doesn't go well.

I'm aiming for 3 days of short strength training a a couple of days of mobility work during the week and hiking on the weekends. Pickleball is when I can but that has been rare these days as my work has conflicted with the schedule.

Yesterday was just a 5.5 mile hike as we had limited time. That was some rough terrain and I fell on a slick bridge. I've got a lump on the front of my foot where it hit the board but I think I'll recover fine. Today strength of some sort. 

Dh has just 1.5 weeks left of class and then 5 weeks off, woot! That will open up some time for us to do some longer hikes and his next semester shouldn't be so brutal so longer hikes on the weekend ought to be easier most of the time.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

Hello all,  can't believe its the last few weeks of the year.  I am following the bfit app for weight training, adding in an extra stretch day or 2 and try to walk 10-12000 steps/day for the remainder of the year.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Thanks for continuing to take time to post and share your workouts.  It encourages.me to keep going.   Happy Holidays to all however you celebrate.  Will check in again soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Does raking leaves count?  Multiple trees dropping leaves at various times mean raking daily.

Absolutely!  I have round five or six of picking up and disposing of unwanted apples this weekend and that's certainly exercise. 

Today: it rained a lot overnight, so the snow has gone.  The temperature has come up too, so I'm hoping for a not-too-icy walk at lunchtime.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

How are you doing, @knitgrl? Feel free to ignore if you'd rather not chat.

Thanks for asking. With all the things going on at our house, financial uncertainty, all the kid concerts, birthdays for two nieces, and Christmas preparations, well, it's a lot. I love Advent; I did most of the preparations for that a month or two ago. So Advent looks the same to the kids. Christmas itself will be toned down a bit, but I did some shopping ahead of time, so there's that.

I am really glad that I have learned how important exercise is for my well-being. I sleep better and feel better when I exercise regularly, plus my oncologist told me it's the best thing I can do to fight cancer. I am really grateful for this dojo, because they are definitely not out to make money. It's about $150/mo for our whole family to take classes twice a week, and we could go to more if we wanted to. TKD gives me accountability and something to focus on, because I have a hard time restarting after hitting a hurdle, such as being sick for two weeks.

• Like 5

I've survived 2 of my 3 tennis matches so far this week! It's been a lot of fun getting back on the courts and hitting balls again. My body is sore, and I'm not moving as smoothly as I was a couple months ago. Hopefully my body will quickly grow stronger.

We've had quite a lot of snow recently, too, so the dog walks in the woods are beautiful. The pups love running around in the snow.

• Like 5

TKD class last night. It is interesting -- they have a policy whereby siblings are not allowed to spar with each other. Dh and I both went to class last night, and the teacher had no issues with us sparring each other. Also sparred with a black belt (yikes!), but despite the fact he is 20-something, he teaches a lot and very much acted like a teacher in sparring, ie. only doing stuff that I could handle, plus a few things just slightly above my level. A good class overall.

• Like 6

Around 900m of swimming today. It was at a different pool and part of it was roped off for lessons, so the distance was hard to calculate. 

Yesterday I just ran some errands on foot and managed not to over-eat at a not very appetising Christmas meal, so that was a success. I feel less pressured than I used in professional settings to eat bad food.

• Like 5

I went to the gym yesterday but kept it light and focused on my arms. Good times. 

I also went in to get my knee looked at. They said it’s garden-variety arthritis based on the Xray. There’s no way at all to get an MRI to see if anything is torn until I have done PT first. And with a special needs teen in the house there’s almost no way I can carve out six weeks of PT. I’m going to try ice and rest through the holidays and think about PT later. 

• Like 6

No intentional exercise here for a few days. I have been really tired for some reason. We are hosting a board game day tomorrow, so I have been doing some intense cleaning seasons. Today, I will be making a large pot of soup for everyone, and finishing up the dining room, where most gaming will take place.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

No intentional exercise here for a few days. I have been really tired for some reason. We are hosting a board game day tomorrow, so I have been doing some intense cleaning seasons. Today, I will be making a large pot of soup for everyone, and finishing up the dining room, where most gaming will take place.

Stress is exhausting. It's  not surprising. 

• Like 5

15 min on the treadmill yesterday, 20 min yoga this morning. I could have done the new 30 min Yoga with Adriene, but it's like I have a 15-20 min attention span for exercise right now.

This was a very high-stress week. The biggest was that my formal observation was yesterday. I over-prepare and prepare way in advance for such things, and then there were things I wasn't preparing for that happened also and I ended up twice this week having physical symptoms of the stress. The observation went well--I'm just very glad this week is over. Just a normal stress level for the week ahead, and then we're on a much-needed winter break for two weeks.

• Like 4

I got in more tennis today, as well as a nice long walk in the woods. I also went to my first Christmas party in years - since the lockdowns in 2020. It was nice, but I had almost no clothes to wear that still fit. Yikes, I only wear a small number of clothes these days, and they fit fine, but it may be time to do some shopping for some dressier clothes. 

• Like 5

I took a hilly 6 mile walk this morning.  It was pretty slow because the amount of rain we have had recently has made the paths really muddy. The rain held off though and it was good to be out. 

For the next three days I'll be travelling to Hobbes' graduation,  so there will not be much exercise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I took a hilly 6 mile walk this morning.  It was pretty slow because the amount of rain we have had recently has made the paths really muddy. The rain held off though and it was good to be out. 

For the next three days I'll be travelling to Hobbes' graduation,  so there will not be much exercise.

Congratulations to Hobbes 🎉 I'm sure you all are very proud. Walking in the mud is such a slog, good on you making it through.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:44 AM, Harriet Vane said:

I went to the gym yesterday but kept it light and focused on my arms. Good times. 

I also went in to get my knee looked at. They said it’s garden-variety arthritis based on the Xray. There’s no way at all to get an MRI to see if anything is torn until I have done PT first. And with a special needs teen in the house there’s almost no way I can carve out six weeks of PT. I’m going to try ice and rest through the holidays and think about PT later. 

I'm sorry you have limited time. Best wishes that rest and ice do the job.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:42 AM, knitgrl said:

TKD class last night. It is interesting -- they have a policy whereby siblings are not allowed to spar with each other. Dh and I both went to class last night, and the teacher had no issues with us sparring each other. Also sparred with a black belt (yikes!), but despite the fact he is 20-something, he teaches a lot and very much acted like a teacher in sparring, ie. only doing stuff that I could handle, plus a few things just slightly above my level. A good class overall.

That is wonderful. YOu are making such progress.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:39 AM, Ali in OR said:

15 min on the treadmill yesterday, 20 min yoga this morning. I could have done the new 30 min Yoga with Adriene, but it's like I have a 15-20 min attention span for exercise right now.

This was a very high-stress week. The biggest was that my formal observation was yesterday. I over-prepare and prepare way in advance for such things, and then there were things I wasn't preparing for that happened also and I ended up twice this week having physical symptoms of the stress. The observation went well--I'm just very glad this week is over. Just a normal stress level for the week ahead, and then we're on a much-needed winter break for two weeks.

(hugs) Thank goodness this week is over. Christmas break is almost here.

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I got in more tennis today, as well as a nice long walk in the woods. I also went to my first Christmas party in years - since the lockdowns in 2020. It was nice, but I had almost no clothes to wear that still fit. Yikes, I only wear a small number of clothes these days, and they fit fine, but it may be time to do some shopping for some dressier clothes. 

I guess there is a lag between indoor and outdoor tennis time?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Last week- 2 short bw strength and 2 mobility and hit my step goals.

We did not get our long hike in today as dh is working on college (last weekend of this until spring semester hallelujah!)

I'm feeling very uninspired and struggling with my morning routine. I don't want to get out of the cozy bed in the morning. It is not like me to linger in bed but a few days this last week I just didn't want to get up and it put me behind. 

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the basics done for now while I figure out what else to do. The next 2 weeks are likely to be pretty busy as I have a full case load and we're hammering away at hs. I'm looking at changing things up when the holidays get here.

I'm going to try and post weekly. I've not been able to accomplish daily posting in ages, although if I was doing better with my morning routine maybe I could pull that off. 

• Like 5

I have a meeting this evening I have to leave a bit early for, so I did not get a full exercise session in. Instead, I worked on learning my new pattern with dd13 and practiced my old pattern a few times. I got my heart rate up for a little bit, so that's better than nothing.

Edited by knitgrl
typo
  • Like 5

On 12/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, Soror said:

Last week- 2 short bw strength and 2 mobility and hit my step goals.

We did not get our long hike in today as dh is working on college (last weekend of this until spring semester hallelujah!)

I'm feeling very uninspired and struggling with my morning routine. I don't want to get out of the cozy bed in the morning. It is not like me to linger in bed but a few days this last week I just didn't want to get up and it put me behind. 

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the basics done for now while I figure out what else to do. The next 2 weeks are likely to be pretty busy as I have a full case load and we're hammering away at hs. I'm looking at changing things up when the holidays get here.

I'm going to try and post weekly. I've not been able to accomplish daily posting in ages, although if I was doing better with my morning routine maybe I could pull that off. 

We love your check ins! Pop in whenever you have time.  It sounds like life is super busy with work, homeschooling and family life. Sometimes staying in bed is a must for mental and physical health. 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Especially this time of year, right? Seems like we're meant to hibernate a bit. My form of it will be reading on the couch next week!

For sure! This cold, dark time of the year is made for staying in bed. Sadly, my puppy doesn't seem to be affected by this, and I have to drag myself out of bed to let him out. Next year, though... 😉 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

We love your check ins! Pop in whenever you have time.  It sounds like life is super busy with work, homeschooling and family life. Sometimes staying in bed is a must for mental and physical health. 😊

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Especially this time of year, right? Seems like we're meant to hibernate a bit. My form of it will be reading on the couch next week!

It is the season in more than one way.

Yesterday I did around 20 min strength work - some bodyweight and some dumbbell. I also had a short walk outside.

Today I did about 30 minutes of mobility work.

• Like 5

It's been a while since I posted here. I had several weeks off around Thanksgiving and my quick trip to Israel. 

I really slowly restarted my exercise routine. 20-30 minutes of cardio (running usually) and 15-30 minutes of a kettlebell routine from Caroline Girvan.

I'm ok with the exercise but I am having a very hard time staying with healthy choices for food. Hanukkah isn't helping. Good thing it's over soon!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, knitgrl said:

TKD class this evening. Dd14 is a black belt. She led the warm-ups. She has a reputation for making the class work. Today I learned that reputation is well earned, lol. No more classes for me until after the new year, as they are taking a two week break.

What a coincidence! My 14 year old dd is also a blackbelt that helps teach TKD.

I------------------

Yesterday I did jumproping and deadbugs as a warm-up and then a workout with shoulder press, deadlift/good mornings, and cossack squats. I did some deadlifts and cossacks with weights but switched to bw good mornings and bw squats at the end of the workout.

I stopped the gabapentin again. I'm not having pain but I've noticed a bit of twinginess on my lower back that I'm keeping an eye on. Now, to see if I can adjust back to sleeping without it. I've been in PMS mode so that's already the worst part of my cycle for sleep. I'm hoping no that my cycle has started I'll be ok. 

Today's plan is mobility.

• Like 5

Pattern practice with dd8. Then went to the basement and lifted some weights. I even did three sets. Next time, I think I will probably bump up the weight on several exercises because I wasn't really slowing down at the third set, though I definitely do not need to make squats any harder.

• Like 5