Menu

Well-trained bodies - December

Laura Corin

16 min on treadmill yesterday. Yoga for Joy this morning--20 min I think. And I'm now on break--17 days with no students. Yay! I will spend some time on school though--try to get caught up and all planned out for January. And I'll probably go in and clean my classroom one day this week (don't want to go in Christmas week when the girls are both home). Maybe I'll get 30 min of exercise for a bit. And try not to overindulge most days.

• Like 5

I can't remember when I checked in last.

Mon/Wed/Fri I did strength and Tues/Thurs more mobility. I did some mobility on Mon/Wed/Fri but shorter sessions. Saturday was rest (helping ds move out).

Sunday- 3 mile hike with dh- some hills and rough terrain in spots. We both had planned to go further but we were both recovering from a busy week and took naps which delayed our start time.

Mon- strength w/ mobility warm-up

• Like 5

I've been playing tennis 3-4 times a week and walking in the woods daily with the dogs. I'm adding in more stetching and some weights exercises to help prevent repetitive-use injuries.

I feel like I've had a rejuvination of my energy by getting back to playing tennis. It feels good to be able to run around and do some intensive exercise!

• Like 5

On 12/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, Laura Corin said:

Fourth day of Covid. Not doing too badly except for aching hips and back from sitting and lying around too much. I'll try to do some extremely gentle stretches.

7th day of Covid and feeling a bit better. My husband noticed that I had rediscovered my sense of humour. I'm planning to be off work for the whole week - Wednesday/ Thursday should be quiet anyway, so no harm done.

I'm forcing myself to do very little - yesterday I made yoghurt and today kombucha. Just keeping the cultures going. Otherwise reading a bit and watching a lot of telly.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

@Laura Corin Glad you are feeling better and that your sense of humour is restored! Enjoy your time off work.

I had some very fun tennis this morning, with lots of running and long rallies. I also walked the dogs this morning. I did miss my morning coffee, though, and I've developed a head-ache and want to nap. I don't really want to drink coffee this late in the day and mess up my night sleep. I wonder if chocolate has enough caffine to give me my needed fix? 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

7th day of Covid and feeling a bit better. My husband noticed that I had rediscovered my sense of humour. I'm planning to be off work for the whole week - Wednesday/ Thursday should be quiet anyway, so no harm done.

I'm forcing myself to do very little - yesterday I made yoghurt and today kombucha. Just keeping the cultures going. Otherwise reading a bit and watching a lot of telly.

I'm glad you're on the upswing, Laura. Keep resting and hibernating and hydrating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been keeping up with 1 or 2 dog walks in the woods, depending on if I need extra sleep. The puppy ate too much wood from sticks and also has worms, so his sleep routine is out the window and lot's of late-night potty breaks. He's bouncing back really quickly and will be fine, but I need more time to recover from sleep loss. 😉 

I got to play some bonus tennis with dh and his men's group, as someone from the group suddenly became sick. It was very challenging, as these guys hit the ball hard, but I survived. It was fun, and they were happy as I "saved" their doubles tennis. I'm going to need a little more time to recover from that level of tennis compared to ladies doubles, though. 

• Like 5

On 12/19/2023 at 10:54 AM, Laura Corin said:

I'm happy to hear you are recovering Laura. It's a good thing your daughter was there to keep you from overdoing it. It is hard to hold back.

--------------------

Last week was pretty busy with work- monthly meeting+ Christmas party, 2 case closings and 1 opening (extra paperwork for openings and closings), and then trying to finish up school for break.  

Strength- Mon/ Fri; Mobility - Tues/Thurs; Got my steps in every day. 

Saturday- 8.8 mile hike

Dh and I did a practice hike for the challenge in May. This kicked our butt. For the challenge, we will have to do 9 times up - 1.9 miles- 900+ ft elevation- and shuttle back down in 12 hours. Yesterday we did it twice, up and down, plus the half-ish mile to and from our car.

Well, dh and I neither one were feeling great. I didn't sleep well the night before- I got about 5.5 hours of broken sleep and dh was just feeling a bit off. However, we did it anyway because chances are the day of the race we might not feel great either. This was my first time hiking with trekking poles. I started off going way too fast and it took a while to get into the groove. So, about .25 miles in we were both panting and had our first break. I thought we'd never make it up, but I slowed down and kinda figured out how to use the poles. We took a nice long break at the top and had some food and by the time we made it to the bottom, we felt up to trying it again. The second time went much better. I was able to use the poles to help and had a more sustainable pace. I think I could have made it without breaks but dh needed a few so we stopped here and there.

So, we have some training to do! We have to build our endurance and strength for the uphills. The total hike is 17 miles and we've yet to hike that far in a day. The most we've done is 11 miles. Now, on vaca we've done 15 miles in a day but not hiking at one go. I think we can do 17 but we'd have some fatigue. Next hike we're hoping to do 12-13 miles. We're thinking of training hikes once a month working up to do the uphill and down 5 times since we can't practice the shuttle down and hike up(19 miles total), before the event. Once a month we're looking to do longer hikes to build endurance and then in between do various difficulty levels and lengths. 

• Like 5

I've been walking the dogs in the woods daily over the last few days. I also went for a lovely walk with my friend yesterday. Today I'm playing ladies doubles tennis! It'll be great to get back out on the court. I haven't played in 4 days.

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas! It was quiet and relaxing here. Just what everyone seemed to need.

• Like 4

We have very mild weather here, and the snow is all melted with only some ice left on the trails in the woods. I don't want to complain, as the driving is great and it's really comfortable outdoors, but a little bit of white ground cover would be nice. 😉 

I'm getting in my double daily dog walks in the woods this week. I'm also adding in some injury preventative exercises for tennis to get my wrists a little stronger.

Heading out to dinner with dh as it's our 27th anniverary today! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sorry about all the rain and flooding. That's no fun at this time of year! Hope your place stays dry indoors.

We are doing okay, thank you.

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Happy anniversary! 

Today - managed my normal lunchtime walk including a little hill. 2.4 slow miles. Then 20 minutes of easy yoga.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

We have very mild weather here, and the snow is all melted with only some ice left on the trails in the woods. I don't want to complain, as the driving is great and it's really comfortable outdoors, but a little bit of white ground cover would be nice. 😉 

I'm getting in my double daily dog walks in the woods this week. I'm also adding in some injury preventative exercises for tennis to get my wrists a little stronger.

Happy Anniversary!

On 12/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, Laura Corin said:

Very rainy  - there are houses flooded in the next town over. 

20 minutes of yoga.

I'm sorry to hear that 😞

On 12/26/2023 at 7:45 PM, Harriet Vane said:

Traveling and then sick. Not covid (3 negative tests so far). I suspect I won’t be doing much this week.

EEk best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I didn't do much on Christmas Eve and Christmas. On Tuesday I kept busy with errands and cleaning. Tuesday afternoon my hip started hurting and by the middle of the night I was awake with terrible pain and it kept on all day Wednesday. It's better today but still not great. This is my good hip and it doesn't feel like my sciatica- it feels like my hip flexor. I don't know if this is from the hard hike on Saturday combined with too much sitting around Sunday and Monday or ??? I'd planned to start back with exercise on Wednesday but I've held off due to the issues with my hip. I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow is even better and I can get back to it.

• Sad 5

25 min yoga this morning. My weight is up 3 lbs in 2 weeks--time to get eating back to normal. I may use My Fitness Pal for a few days to remember what normal is. I got some black beans soaking last night--will make black bean soup in the crockpot today. And it's time to start cleaning up Christmas. I think the tree itself will wait until Monday--I like to take ornaments off while watching bowl games. But I'll slowly get other decorations down today and tomorrow. Outdoor lights will stay up a couple more weeks--it's just kind of cheery during these deepest darkest days to have the outdoor lights up (and ours aren't excessive--two trees and a reindeer.)

• Like 4

Sunday - lovely gentle walk with Husband along the beach at low tide in sunshine. 

Then another session of picking up apples and putting them out for the local council to compost.  Finished now!  I left a few apples on the ground for the blackbirds, and there's still a larder in the trees for the thrushes of apples that didn't fall.

• Like 4

Friday I practiced my new pattern, and was able to get through it without any coaching, which makes me feel accomplished. I might even be ready for belt testing in February.

Today I went for a 20 minute walk.

• Like 5

I did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. Tomorrow I have to set the alarm for a lot earlier than I've been getting up. After 17 days off, we're back at it. I'm all prepped and ready to go. Tuesday exercise should be bodyweight circuit and some yoga. I might check out Adriene's new 30 days of yoga, but I don't plan to keep up with it daily.

• Like 5