Menu

Hikers… advice for gifts?

Innisfree

I’d like to get some items for a young woman who is very interested in hiking, but hasn’t got much experience beyond family hikes of a few miles. She will soon have easy access to the Appalachian Trail and various other trails nearby. Terrain varies significantly. She’ll be hiking with a large dog, but without always having other people with her. At this stage she’s just thinking about day hikes, not camping.

What should she have beyond water for herself and her dog, maybe snacks, her phone and decent walking shoes? Are there items she should always bring?

Are there books you can recommend on safety? Any other references she should have?

I would like to give her a compass and a book on orienteering, but I’m not sure how easy that is to learn on one’s own.

Edited by Innisfree

Start with the 10 essentials! Adapt for specific region, and maybe add a cute backpack? (Beginner hiker doesn't need a fancy backpack; a sturdy Jansport style will work perfectly.)

(Example of adaptation: I don't always carry a full change of clothes, but I do have a clean pair of wool socks in a ziplock bag; they can double as mittens if need be.)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lucy the Valiant said:

Start with the 10 essentials! Adapt for specific region, and maybe add a cute backpack? (Beginner hiker doesn't need a fancy backpack; a sturdy Jansport style will work perfectly.)

Thank you! Assume I’m completely ignorant. What are the ten essentials?

I wouldn't give her a compass/orienteering guide right off the bat.  Wait til you know she likes it and then I would only give those things with a class or one-day lesson in how to use them they can be very frustrating.  Echoing the ten essentials.  I also love this water filter because the filter is in the cap so you can just wad it up and stuff it in your pocket or bra and go without carrying water with you (only works if you know there's water where you're going of course!) https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-10-l-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz?

Edited by Eos
  • Thanks 1

She should get in the habit of carrying a map. That is useful even without knowing how to use a compass.
A good rain jacket.
Lightweight first-aid kit.
Water purification system.

Good gifts would be hiking guidebooks, lightweight headlamp, hiking socks.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gifts? Darn Tough socks and leukotape https://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-BEI076168-Leukotape-Sports/dp/B07KB5KSB2 (put onto hot spots before they become blisters)

The flash18 daypack from REI, if she doesnt have a daypack yet and doesnt have a budget for a nicer one—this one has fit everyone in the family well (some of us have since upgraded)

This is an inexpensive bivvy bag. https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Frog-Emergency-Carabiner-ParaTinder/dp/B07C45T3Z8

• Thanks 1

I did a week or 2 volunteer vacation many decades (how can that be?!) ago. I worked on a segment of the Appalachian trail and absolutely loved it.  I stayed at Bascom Lodge, Mt. Greylock. I know thru hikers stayed there and other guests. I just found links if she is ever in that area.  Also, found links for  you to glimpse over. about the Appalachian trail and others.   You might get an idea of what else may be needed under 'resources.' If she is in that area, I know the sunsets were gorgeous and that was the highlight of the evening.

Perhaps a small pair of lightweight binoculars?  Although we never had a threat of bears or even thought of them, bear bells and a small can of bear spray would be good anywhere.  Moleskin for blistered toes and a light shammy towel is nice and lightweight. Would she use a hiking stick?  Depends also if she is just doing quick day hikes. Maybe one of those packs that hold water and you have the tubes coming out of it?  Extra water for the dog and a foldable bowl.  All the suggestions above are good ones too!

Bascom Lodge - Restaurant in Adams, MA

The Trek - Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and All Things Thru-Hiking

The Trek | Facebook

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d go to a local REI or outdoor store, YMCA, or similar local places and ask about hiking classes. Sometimes a local Y or outfitter will teach a class and supply the gear and teach the safety lessons. Gifting a class like that might be a great option. I took a YMCA whitewater canoeing class once that was really fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Cell phone service is not universal in the area, fwiw.

Understood. But even off grid, a phone is a camera, downloaded maps, downloaded first aid instructions, even a "panic list" saved in photo albums (what to do if lost, music to listen to if needing to unexpectedly spend the night somewhere, etc). It's not going to get her out of every tricky situation, but it can be an extremely useful tool, even off grid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is she close to a metro with a REI? Ours has lots of practical skills classes at reasonable prices and also sponsors outings to the nearby mountains, lakes, and rivers. As a baby hiker she might do well to find a group of buddies to hike with. Most people here hike in groups for safety reasons, even on the PCT or on day hikes. We rarely see people alone on the trails. A big dog isn’t going to protect you from the most likely risks—a severely sprained ankle that you can’t hobble on, a bad turn at the fork in the trail that gets you lost as the sun is going down and you have no cell signal, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Innisfree said:

What scale would you recommend? The one given out by the park service in the area is so small as to be of minimal use.

If it's an area where they exist: the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps. Should be available for all segments if the AT.

The USGS quadrangle are great and an even better scale. The USGs no longer makes paper maps but provide them electronically; you can order them from 3rd party companies who print those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you know what section of the Appalachian Trail she'll be close to for hiking, you can get her maps of that area.  There are great maps of PA, MD, and VA from the PTAC https://www.patc.net/PATC/Our_Store/PATC_Maps.aspx The National Geographic ones aren't the best, imo.

Hiking socks are always great - I prefer SmartWool to DarnTough, but it's a personal choice

Battery charger (Anker is a great one)

Headlamp

Small knife

Trekking poles

You can check if there are any orienteering classes/events in her area, either through REI or a local chapter.  

• Thanks 1

Have not read all the responses, but if she’s interested in hiking year round, a pair of spikes that go over her boots would be nice. We use them all the time, on flat and steep hikes, in the winter. Also, a foldable silicone water bowl for her pup if she doesn’t have one. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1