Menu

Bread flour options

KatieJ

We’ve been doing sourdough here for a couple years.  You might google around or even ask local bakeries how they source their flour.  During Covid I stumbled on a local mill and baker that takes custom bulk flour orders.  I order 25 lbs bread 10-15 lbs whole wheat every so many months.  Their bread flour is higher protein than King Arthur and I love it.  It’s also cheaper.    

otherwise check ordering/shipping.  Early Covid I bulk ordered some really nice flour to be delivered.  Shipping can be ridiculous and I don’t want more than 25 lbs at a time.  

Edited by catz

Thanks all! 
I rarely bake bread anymore as I eat low carb and I buy sprouted wheat bread, or authentic sour dough from a local bakery. 
I do have wheat berries and mill my own flour when I bake a regular loaf of bread, which I used to do when my kiddoes were all at home. 

I am hosting a small part of our family and want to make a very old recipe for crescents rolls for Thanksgiving as I used to do every year. 

The bread flour I bought was in 25 # bags and I bought it at GFS, restaurant supply store. I don’t even know the name, it was just what they had all the time. I don’t bake often enough to get a 25# bag anymore.

I know of King Arthur and was going to buy that but then I saw the Dakota Maid and it gets great reviews..so my dilemma. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1

Dakota Maid is unbleached and unbromated. 12.6% protein.

KAF has a wide variety of flour products. Their all-purpose flour has 11.7% protein.

ETA: I am generally team King Arthur when buying flour. For flaky croissants, you want unbleached flour at a lower protein. Most french bakeries use T45 flour, which is roughly equivalent to 00 flour (which I can find here from King Arthur) or American cake flour.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dakota Maid is unbleached and unbromated. 12.6% protein.

ETA: I am generally team King Arthur when buying flour. For flaky croissants, you want unbleached flour at a lower protein. Most french bakeries use T45 flour, which is roughly equivalent to 00 flour (which I can find here from King Arthur) or American cake flour.

What I bake is a crescent  shaped dinner roll, not croissants. I’ve been baking them for 48 years . (Betty Crocker recipe ina cookbook I got for a wedding gift. ) I started with just regular flour but the last couple decades with bread flour. I had a bad experience with a grocery store bread flour. Branching out out again and trying something new. I have  never used KAF . I’m leaning towards the Dakota Maid at this point due to your posts. Thank You. 

IMG_3696.jpeg

• 4 months later...