Menu

Chores in a large family

alysee

Our new house is bigger which means there are more rooms to clean. In typical kid fashion the kids are revolting. Honestly, I am having anxiety already about the pushback today that I know will happen. Is this too many Chores? I'll add ages just for reference. 

Rotate: Entryway, family room, tv room, toy room, kitchen 

13 year old: 
Meal: Sweeps after meals
Puts clothing in hamper daily
Own laundry
Sunday: girls room(change sheets)
               bathroom
               Rotate Room 

12 year old
Meal: Loads dishwasher
Puts clothing in hamper
Own laundry
Sunday: girls room(change sheets)
               bathroom rotate
               Rotate Room

10yo
Wipes table off
Puts clothing in hamper
Own laundry
Sunday: boys room(change sheet)
               bathroom rotate
               Rotate Room

10yo
Clears table
Puts clothing in hamper
Own laundry
Sunday: boys room
               bathroom rotate
               Rotation Room
5yo
Sets table
Puts clothing in hamper
Sunday: little girls room - with help
               Rotation room - with help

Overall I think it's a little lighter than what I ask my kids to do so I don't think you are unreasonable at all.  But I know my kids protest too any time I ask them to do more than they had been so I'm not surprised at their reactions either.  I think they best you can do is keep the line firm on your expectations and for me at least they usually adjust in a month or so to the new expectations.

• Like 3

So they each have one chore at meals, and it looks like you have a set cleaning day. That doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. I don’t count putting their own dirty clothes in hamper as a “chore” or doing own laundry. That’s just part of taking care of themselves such as brushing teeth.

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 1

It looks reasonable to me. However, rather than having one set chore, say for each mealtime, I would rotate the age-appropriate ones weekly. Sometimes one feels they have the harder job, so rotating means everybody does it eventually, with the advantage that they gain skills in all areas. For ex: the first week A sweeps the kitchen and B loads the dishwasher. The second week, A loads the dishwasher and B sweeps. I had a chore chore with the various rotations on my computer that I would print out with the updated dates on it and post on the fridge. (I would usually print out 6-8 at a time so that I wouldn't forget.) As they got older, I added that one always helped me with dinner (but that one didn't have to do clean-up afterward). Not only did it give me the advantage of help in the kitchen, it taught them cooking skills and gave us some one-on-one time. I tried to make sure they got to do some of the "fun" cooking, and not just the same low-skill boring stuff, because my mom always had me make the salad, but not the actual cooking, and I didn't like that.

• Like 1

As a mom of adults, I would also add the value of teaching them to look around and ask "what else needs to be done"? It's something I did better with my younger two as I grew as a parent.

This trait in adulthood is valuable beyond measure. As I work with student workers in a university department, I can tell who will get the promotions, the performance-based departmental scholarships, the leadership roles that are key in building a resume for a young graduate. It is those who come to their student worker positions looking to work, looking to learn, looking to invest.  That's a teachable skill and attitude.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 5

On 11/5/2023 at 6:22 AM, Momto6inIN said:

It looks about right to me. Kids may push back but I always remind them that the more they complain they longer it takes and if they do it with a good attitude it goes faster.

Same. Mine do more but anytime there is an increase or change there will be pushback.

• Like 1

We did rotating chore at meal times as well. 

One thing I also did with my bio children was extra bonus chores linked to computer time. They had to earn computer time. I made a list of jobs with  time they were worth. It is supprisingly how willing they all were to do extra jobs without being asked when it was to get something they wanted. 

• Like 1

Another unique idea re. chores: 

For the OP, I'm happiest in the kitchen when I have company. For me, cooking is a Team Sport.  When my kids were 9 or 10ish, they would start doing actual main meal cooking with me, so that by the time they were adults, they knew how to cook everything in our family's repertoire.

Everyone had kitchen chores, but my husband came up with the idea of scheduling the kitchen chores so each kid (3) had two days each week that they did not work in the kitchen at all. They really liked not having kitchen chores, AT ALL, those two days. I told them that freedom was one of the perks of family; when they were on their own, they would miss those days of being called to dinner without having to lift a finger or pay a dime.  😄

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 3