Menu

JAWM

Indigo Blue

People that shove graphic images in your face without giving you a chance to say you’d rather not see it are annoying. It’s done for shock effect and attention. It’s inconsiderate. 

Exsmple: Cousin Sally had a skin cancer removed in the derm office and someone snapped a photo of the open, gaping three inch cut. They sent it out to several people, and one of them said to me, “Poor Sally! She had skin cancer removed this week! Look!” *Immediately holds phone with gross photo right in front of my eyes*

It feels like they care more about the excitement of showing a shocking photo than they are actually concerned about cousin Sally’s skin cancer. 

I don’t know why people feel compelled to photograph and share this stuff. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

29 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I don’t know why people feel compelled to photograph and share this stuff

I completely agree! My son was in a terrible accident last year and for the life of me I will never understand why people took pictures of the scene and shared them with everyone in our small home town. It was so upsetting. 

Quite a different thing from your example but I thought of it when I read your post. 

• Sad 12

There was a fatal car accident here recently and literally there were people taking photos and videos then posting them on social media before first responders even arrived.  My husband spent the first few minutes after he got there chasing off bystanders before he could even get to the patients.

it’s truly disgusting. 

• Sad 12

25 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

There was a fatal car accident here recently and literally there were people taking photos and videos then posting them on social media before first responders even arrived.  My husband spent the first few minutes after he got there chasing off bystanders before he could even get to the patients.

it’s truly disgusting. 

My heart goes out to the families of the deceased.  That has to be so horrible for them! Can you imagine finding out your loved one was in a terrible accident that way?!!!! People can be so incredibly unfeeling. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Melanie32 said:

My heart goes out to the families of the deceased.  That has to be so horrible for them! Can you imagine finding out your loved one was in a terrible accident that way?!!!! People can be so incredibly unfeeling. 

I knew a couple where the husband was an AF pilot. His wife found out on Facebook (!!!) that he had crashed because some idiot wife whose husband was in the same squadron decided to blast it.  All protocol went out the window: the proper channels for notification were disregarded because someone wanted attention.  It was a small base, and the general consensus was not in favor of the idiot, nor were her social relationships the same after that.  To be so heartless, so thoughtless........it is truly baffling.   I honestly people don't think through their actions at all anymore.

• Sad 11

Early this year we were coming home late at night and a car in front of us hit a pedestrian. We had to swerve to keep from hitting the poor guy. We pulled over to call 911 and try to help until police arrived. I was relating how awful it was to a friend and he asked if I took any pictures. No, you idiot! A guy died! Another is traumatized because he hit the guy.   
People can be awful. And I agree- don’t show me awful stuff just to enjoy my reaction. 

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

People that shove graphic images in your face without giving you a chance to say you’d rather not see it are annoying. It’s done for shock effect and attention. It’s inconsiderate. 

Exsmple: Cousin Sally had a skin cancer removed in the derm office and someone snapped a photo of the open, gaping three inch cut. They sent it out to several people, and one of them said to me, “Poor Sally! She had skin cancer removed this week! Look!” *Immediately holds phone with gross photo right in front of my eyes*

It feels like they care more about the excitement of showing a shocking photo than they are actually concerned about cousin Sally’s skin cancer. 

I don’t know why people feel compelled to photograph and share this stuff. 

I admit, I need to remember this about others and I try to.   

As a background, I grew up watching surgery and even holding the flashlight for surgeries in Africa when the electricity was not working, which was often.

Growing up in that kind of medical family, we discussed all sorts of horrible maladies.   Most of the locals did not venture to the hospital unless they were very, very hurt or sick.   So, the injuries were severe.

But most people don't have this background and I need to remember that, I try to.   I am sure I have failed.

I am sorry that happened to you.   Tell them, "Only Dawn wants to see Sally's gaping wound!"   🤪

• Like 5

I agree. I do not want to see any gross photos. I do not want to see your xrays, scars, wounds, whatever. I will happily look at baby ultrasounds though! 

Several months ago in a neighboring town, there was a dead man in the middle of the road for over an hour and half before anyone called the cops. Reportedly folks were driving by and taking pictures and videos. I just can't imagine. Fortunately, some of those folks were charged with failure to report human remains. 
 https://www.ketk.com/news/local-news/5-arrested-in-connection-to-teens-shooting-death-some-allegedly-took-photos-of-body-in-road/

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

it’s truly disgusting. 

I find that really disturbing. I feel like social media has just ruined our culture. People care more about being followed, liked, commented on by strangers than about how they behave and treat members of their immediate community.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ll add, photos of your deceased husband…in his coffin. Two different women showed me photos, at different times. The women were sisters. One husband I had never met, the other man I knew.

I can’t even imagine taking that photo, never mind carrying it around to show people! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

I admit, I need to remember this about others and I try to.   

As a background, I grew up watching surgery and even holding the flashlight for surgeries in Africa when the electricity was not working, which was often.

Growing up in that kind of medical family, we discussed all sorts of horrible maladies.   Most of the locals did not venture to the hospital unless they were very, very hurt or sick.   So, the injuries were severe.

But most people don't have this background and I need to remember that, I try to.   I am sure I have failed.

I am sorry that happened to you.   Tell them, "Only Dawn wants to see Sally's gaping wound!"   🤪

We frequently have to remind our children that our usual dinner time conversation topics are inappropriate for outside of the family. But their aunts on both sides are EMS, both my kids grandfathers have been volunteer firefighters for decades and seen it all, my mom was a nurse.   We tell my kids that our family is weird and talk about TV or something with friends lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KatieJ said:

I’ll add, photos of your deceased husband…in his coffin. Two different women showed me photos, at different times. The women were sisters. One husband I had never met, the other man I knew.

I can’t even imagine taking that photo, never mind carrying it around to show people! 

Well I took pictures of my baby in her casket. They are sweet and tender with my other kids looking on etc.  But I don't go around randomly showing them.  Very few people have seen them and they know what they are viewing when they do. 

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Well I took pictures of my baby in her casket. They are sweet and tender with my other kids looking on etc.  But I don't go around randomly showing them.  Very few people have seen them and they know what they are viewing when they do. 

I am so sorry you lost your daughter. I have seen photos as you describe , and felt all the empathy the family deserved. 
It was not wierd, just very tragic. 

I sincerely apologize  if I offended you. 

11 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

I am so sorry you lost your daughter. I have seen photos as you describe , and felt all the empathy the family deserved. 
It was not wierd, just very tragic. 

I sincerely apologize  if I offended you. 

Oh not at all. Just offering a different perspective.  I do absolutely think it's not something to show with no warning.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

WTF is wrong with people?!! The first instinct is to take pictures rather than help?!?!?!

That said, I'm more like Dawn in that I'm not easily grossed out and find stuff fascinating, but certainly not at the expense of respect for the dignity of another person!!

Same here.  When I had a radical hysterectomy, I asked the surgeon beforehand if I could see what they took out of me.  She looked at me for a few seconds and said she would take a photo of it and email it to me.  And she did.  But the only people who saw it were my dh and any of my kids that wanted to see it.  I always asked them first.  

Also, our kids grew up mostly in the woods with chickens and other pets.  So they're used to seeing kinda gory things.  One dd was excited when she had to watch an autopsy for work.  Her only comment was that the organs were a lot smaller than she thought they would be.  lol

I remember when my dh's father died back in the late 90's, pre-cell phone photos.  Dh took a zillion photos of the funeral, coffin with his father, etc.   I thought it was a little weird, but if that's what made him happy, oh well.  I didn't really want the pics.  (I didn't go to the funeral.)  

Edited by kathyl