Menu

Which robot floor cleaner do I want?

math teacher

I have a scooba https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Scooba-Floor-Scrubbing-Robot/dp/B00IO9U06I. It's fine for maintenance. It doesn't clean as well as a good human cleaner though. Mine always vacuums and mops I wish I could choose. 

Yes, it's a bit melodramatic. Always stuck on a cliff when really it got confused on the vent grates. My cat says it is not to be trusted and needs to be micromanaged. She always needs to pace the boundary of its workspace hollering at it. 

• Haha 2

If you have a pet who has in the past, or who might for any reason sometime in the future, poop in the house, you may want to rethink getting a robot vacuum. I have seen soooo many incredibly gross photos of what can happen when this goes wrong, and people are stuck either throwing away a very expensive vacuum or dismantling and scrubbing the completely poop-smeared undercarriage — not to mention the mess left all over the floor(s) and rug(s) — that it's just not worth the risk to me. It happened to a close friend recently and looking at those photos (gag) I was like "yup, that's why I don't have one..."

• Like 2

I have a Shark, but it's only a vacuum and not a mop. She works extremely well on both hardwood and carpet. I could set her on a timer and have her run when we're not home, but mostly we just let her loose when we're around. Mine has the base that it attaches to and empties when needed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-AV2501S-Self-Empty-Navigation-UltraClean/dp/B09H8CWFNK/ref=sr_1_4?content-id=amzn1.sym.c9738cef-0b5a-4096-ab1b-6af7c45832cd%3Aamzn1.sym.c9738cef-0b5a-4096-ab1b-6af7c45832cd&keywords=shark%2Bvacuum%2Brobot%2Bvacuums&pd_rd_r=84e19b6c-4728-4fd0-976b-673daef36056&pd_rd_w=IruSx&pd_rd_wg=zyxvR&pf_rd_p=c9738cef-0b5a-4096-ab1b-6af7c45832cd&pf_rd_r=559XG5M4S24A88BN50RV&qid=1696212315&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf&th=1

That's the one I have. I've had it for a year and it works just as well as when I first got it.  I'm always surprised how well it maneuvers around the dining room table and its legs.  We had to run the mapping twice because the first time it rolled onto the bottom shelf of a bookshelf and got stuck instead of going along and around the shelf. 

Oh, and the app wanted me to give it a name, so of course I went with Rosie.  🙂

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If you have a pet who has in the past, or who might for any reason sometime in the future, poop in the house, you may want to rethink getting a robot vacuum. I have seen soooo many incredibly gross photos of what can happen when this goes wrong, and people are stuck either throwing away a very expensive vacuum or dismantling and scrubbing the completely poop-smeared undercarriage — not to mention the mess left all over the floor(s) and rug(s) — that it's just not worth the risk to me. It happened to a close friend recently and looking at those photos (gag) I was like "yup, that's why I don't have one..."

Yes, I've heard of that happening-no pets here though.

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Yep. It has happened here more than once. One of my dds has a chihuahua who leaves little "gifts" in my dining room. We always do a quick check when he is here before running the vacs, but it has still happened a few times. Since we are always home when the vacs are running, we have been able to catch it before it reaches epic nightmare status. It is still a gross pain in the rear to clean up. That being said...

I have one of the newer robo vacs with the mop combo. I LOVE IT. Mine is a Eufy x8. I just tried to look mine up on Amazon--which is where I bought it--but that particular one doesn't exist anymore. So I did a search and some are crazy expensive. Mine was only $315 plus tax, and it works great. (eta: I looked back at my order, and it was "used--like new" from Amazon Warehouse) I don't know what is so special about the ones costing $600. We only run it on the main level of our house which is about 1700sq ft. It has plenty of battery to do that much and more. The only thing I don't like is the resuable cloths didn't hold up when I tried to strip them briefly in boiling water. Live and learn. I don't love microfiber for that reason--needing to strip it. I prefer the disposable white cloths, but it adds to the cost.

eta: I don't know how it would work if you have rugs. The only carpet we have in the entire house is on one staircase. So my Eufy mop has free rein! 😉

Edited by popmom
typo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've heard of that happening to people who schedule it to clean then aren't home when the cleaning time arrives. If you're home and simply tell it to go clean a specific room or the whole house then it's not a problem. I pick up the cats' water dishes and toys but other than that there's nothing you need to do. I always know if one of my cats barfed and clean it right up, so there's no chance my Roomba is going to run over it. I don't schedule it to run at a time when I won't be home.

OP I have the Roomba (iRobot) i7+ and absolutely love it but it doesn't mop. I have wood floors that use a specific cleaner and can't be mopped the normal way. I think there's a comparable model to mine that also mops. This is my 4th robot vacuum and the only one I truly love. I started with a Neato the upgraded to a low model Roomba. I then wanted a smart one that self empties and maps the house so I bought a Shark and hated it. It never got the map right and wouldn't go where I tried to send it. Also, the map would periodically disappear and I'd have to have it map the house all over again. I bought this Roomba last July (2022) during Amazon Prime Days and have been very happy with it. It mapped the house quickly. I can create "no go zones" so it won't get stuck somewhere that it thinks it should fit but doesn't. I can create groupings (favorites) and name them what I want - for example I have one called primary suite which means it will vacuum our bedroom, bathroom, and walk in closet. If you can find this style with a mop it won't be cheap but it will be worth it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Thanks 1