Menu

Co-ed dorm rooms??? Really????

I find it unlikely. There has to be more to the story. It won't be happening any time soon at the university where I work.

At Oberlin the bathrooms are not specified for men or women, because they have a number of transgendered students, and they cannot really pick. I wonder if it has to do with that?

I know someone who works in admissions at U of Chicago and you bet I'm whipping off "what the heck" email.

I replied before I googled. It's by request only and not for freshman.

Here's the thing that I find at the small university where I work -- students are "taken care of." That is, it's all about making the students happy. The university is expensive, and there is a high degree of entitlement among students. U of Chicago's decision was totally based on a student led initiative, so it makes sense to me, knowing that.

According to the article, students will not be assigned co-ed rooms, but can request them. And freshmen won't be allowed to participate in the program. Non-freshmen don't need parental permission to request a co-ed room.

As a parent, I wouldn't want my child sharing a dorm room with a romantic partner or potential partner . . . but I also don't believe that one's gender automatically determines the gender of one's potential romantic partners.

I just had a funny thought about this, imagining my own boys in this situation. I don't have daughters, so my sons have grown up in a world where girls are quite alien. I lived in a co-ed house in college, and the boys were continually flabbergasted at the female drama, even the ones who grew up with sisters. I can't imagine subjecting my own boys to the emotional turmoil of living with a female. I think they'd get over the thrill pretty quick.

I guess my kids will be going to the U of Chicago. My son announced to me the other day that he will only go to college if he can share a room with his sister, like he does now. Glad to know there's a school that can accommodate them! ;)

Tara

According to the article, there are 30 schools that allow co-ed dorm rooms, so your son will have several choices.;)

We had co-ed dorms when I went to college 1984 - 1988. Co-ed rooms? Hm.

I don't know. Legally these people are *adults*. How much say could/should we have? If I were paying, there are conditions on grades, contributions, part time work, etc, I'd have.

By 18 and living (mostly) outside of my home, I plan on allowing them to be adults and realizing that I raised average children; I'd like for them to learn by other's mistakes but I'm not going to expect it. If they are anything like their parents, they'll learn the hard way.

I don't have a problem with it. They are adults and if they lived off campus, they could live where ever and with whom ever they wanted. Living on campus really isn't any different to me. It is just an apartment with shared facilities.

Same sex dorms don't require gay students to live with the opposite sex, so I see this as the same.

I don't have a problem with it.

Same sex dorms don't require gay students to live with the opposite sex, so I see this as the same.

ITA. In college I lived with a gay guy. He was the best roommate I ever had. No girl drama, no romantic drama. Just shared the same space and it was wonderful. Might even recommend it to my DDs (if DH doesn't faint at the idea. LOL). I would NOT suggest a romantic partner being dorm roommates. That is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

:svengo:

Over my dead body. If my son wants to live with a girl then he can pay for it himself. If he is an "adult" and can "make his own decisions" he can "pay for his own college" too.

:iagree: "Adult" is subject to paying your own bills, not living off the parents. I have a friend, who's not a Christian by the way, that when her dd said she wanted to get an apt. w/then b'friend (now dh) that they were old enough to make that decision, but it would also mean that she no longer needed their financial support for college. She decided that she could wait to live with him. :blush:

:svengo:

Over my dead body. If my son wants to live with a girl then he can pay for it himself. If he is an "adult" and can "make his own decisions" he can "pay for his own college" too.

:iagree: And we got tested. Dd is now living on her own, paying her own way through school. It's not been easy for her. She can't carry a full load right now because of the hours she has to work to support herself. Since it's Christmas, I won't make any comments about the deadbeat boyfriend...

Oh, and it wasn't as easy as all that - standing behind our values and rules - but we did. Being an adult, making your own decisions is a heavy load to carry.

Janet

Sure. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

We had co-ed dorms by floor at one of my colleges but my grandparents, with whom I lived at that time, insisted I stay in the all-girls dorm a.k.a "the nunnery". Wow. Was that a misnomer. I shudder to think of what it would have been like if the boys had been more readily available.