Menu

Bruxism- Teeth Grinding

BusyMom5

Do you have a suggestion for a mouth guard?  I have known I had issues the last few years.  Chipped a molar in the spring,  and now I'm having issues with my gums being sore. My dentist suggests a mouth guard to help with the mouth issues.  Do you have any that you recommend?  Or any other treatment options? 

From what I can tell, the real root of my problem is back pain.  When it's flaring, my teeth grind more.  My back has been worse the last few weeks.  I never realized the two were related, but it makes sense.  I do anti-inflammatories and stretches for that, but it's a chronic problem that will never go completely away.  

Are you talking about nighttime mouth guards?

I use Plackers Grind No More disposable dental guards. I buy from Amazon in boxes of 16 per box, and that usually lasts me for a month or two. They’re disposable so you throw them away after 3 or 4 nights. It took about a week to get used to them, but now I like them and they work for me. You can put them on upper or lower teeth, whichever is most comfortable for you. My dentist said to try these before investing in an expensive custom mouth guard.

good luck finding something that works for you😁

I do it when I'm very stressed. My dentist recommended first trying a glass of wine before bed. He said that relaxed some people enough to stop the grinding and clenching, but it didn't seem to help me a lot (plus I don't really enjoy wine). So I bought an OTC guard from Dentek, and it worked fine. I haven't had to use it in a long while, thank goodness, so I'll probably need to buy something new if I start doing it again. I know the Plackers disposables get good reviews, so I may try them the next time mine flares.

27 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

My dentist was able to take a mold of my teeth and order me a sturdy mouth guard for about $450. I was grinding through the ones from the grocery store. 

This is what I have, too. they last for several years. I am on my second one, though, because I ground through my first one. I’ve had this one for about 7 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

My dentist was able to take a mold of my teeth and order me a sturdy mouth guard for about $450. I was grinding through the ones from the grocery store. 

Same but mine was maybe $50.  It lasted at least 2 years.  Then we just do it again.  I think they said if they went through them faster then it would be a higher priced one.  

I did ones from the grocery store, but my dentist said they are not good to use.   I 100% feel a difference with the one that the dentist made me vs the store.  With the store one my mouth would end up sore, like you could feel the tension from the griding at night. Not so with the one from the dentist.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Same but mine was maybe $50.  It lasted at least 2 years.  Then we just do it again.  I think they said if they went through them faster then it would be a higher priced one.  

I did ones from the grocery store, but my dentist said they are not good to use.   I 100% feel a difference with the one that the dentist made me vs the store.  With the store one my mouth would end up sore, like you could feel the tension from the griding at night. Not so with the one from the dentist.  

I suggest you get two or three made at once. It saves on the cost because you don't have to go back for a new impression every time one wears out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PronghornD said:

I suggest you get two or three made at once. It saves on the cost because you don't have to go back for a new impression every time one wears out.

I don't have to pay for a new impression if I bring back my impression.  However I think my teeth are shifting so getting the new impression probably helps.  And the price I think is low enough that I would rather have something formed to fit.

17 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I have a custom bite guard that I wear every night - hated it at first but now almost can’t sleep without it. 

Anyway, OP I was going to suggest this especially if you have dental insurance. My ~$500 custom molded bite guard only cost me a copay of $35. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PronghornD said:

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't have to pay for a new impression if I bring back my impression.  However I think my teeth are shifting so getting the new impression probably helps.  And the price I think is low enough that I would rather have something formed to fit.

I have a tooth that I know will need a crown on it in the coming months. Due to things like that plus age related shifting, I’ll get another guard from fresh impressions after the work is done. My current one is at least 5 years old now so it’s time. 

• Like 1

One advantage I've had in going through my dentist-if the nightguard needs to be remade fairly quickly, they do so without additional charges. It took 3 tries to find a material and design that worked well for me this last time. A good prescription one usually lasts 2-3 years for me. I've had a nightguard of some form since I was 17 and they realized that correcting my bite had, if anything, made the bruxism worse. At this point, it's like my glasses prescription-something that I just have to get checked out twice a year and remade if needed. 

• Like 3