Menu

Tackling WEDNESDAY 9/6

WildflowerMom

Good morning!   No sleep last night!  I shouldn’t have drank a cup of coffee so close to bedtime.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Coffee

Bible

Read

Exercise

Trim bushes

Fix elliptical --- not today

Vacuum

Brush out dog

Get collar on Crazy Dog

List something on marketplace --- not today

Supper: Nachos

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Good morning!  I have a feeling Wednesdays are going to be kind of slow here this year.  Ds finished practice last night at 9:30, so by the time I got him home, fed, showered, etc. nobody slept until closer to 11 - and alarms went off at 5:30am for school.

• coffee
  • make ds "lunch" (he tells me it's now mid-morning snack and he gets school lunch)
  • anatomy/physiology lab
  • pick up textbook
  • grocery shop
  • fold laundry
  • work on notes for history
  • 10,000 steps
  • French
  • violin
  • dinner: frozen pizza, I think.
  • Like 5

@WildflowerMom, sorry for not sleeping! Maybe you can catch a nap?

@HomeAgain, tell him to call it second breakfast or elevenses like the hobbits!

Made dh breakfast and he is off to school. He said he had a good first day, and I'm praying this year goes well! Last year he said it was his best year in education ever. 

• medicine
  • coffee
  • finish getting ready for the day
  • bible/quiet time
  • 4 Zoom classes
  • pack cooler with some stuff for ds
  • pack the car and go up to see him at school
  • take him to dinner and out grocery shopping
  • church
  • prep for tomorrow
  • watch something and relax
Edited by mom31257
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

@HomeAgain, tell him to call it second breakfast or elevenses like the hobbits!

😆Definitely more like second breakfast!  Yesterday's meal plan went like this:

6am: large bowl of oatmeal, bacon and mini taco on the side, glass of oj

8:30am: container of mini-tacos, chips and guac, orange, and snack cake

11am: pizza meal at school

2:30pm: more mini tacos, a plain whole milk greek yogurt, popcorn, cheese

6:30pm: chicken breast, cup of green beans, served on a hefty base of risotto - twice, bowl of ice cream

10pm: peanut butter sandwich, banana

His study hall teacher is fine with him eating in class, and so are some of his other teachers.  But good grief, I know how this is going and I'm not looking forward to replacing an entire wardrobe again in a month and a half.

• Like 6

School today

This afternoon we are meeting my mom's birth brother and his wife and daughter (my cousin) for the first time in person.  We connected with them maybe four or five years ago via Ancestry. All I know is that they are going over to mom and dad's in the afternoon and we are going out to dinner. I messed up the date in my calendar and thought they were coming tomorrow. It's fine except the boys have youth group so they will likely leave dinner earlier.  Prayers appreciated. It's a bit awkward but also good. 

• Like 5

Good morning! 

Already done:
Grouchy boy to school.
Trash out
Kitchen tidied

Moved Dd’s new quilt and sham off her bed bc Dh decided to scrape the popcorn ceiling off in her room. He did about 1/4 of it last night. 

Washed a pair of curtains.
Emailed a teacher 

To Do:
Grind coffee ✔️ 
Prep for tutoring ✔️ 
Lunch meeting at church ✔️ 
Prep for tonight’s class ✔️ 
Meeting with Ds’ Chem teacher ✔️ 
Dinner and teaching at church ✔️ 

Read and unwind

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Good morning!  I have a feeling Wednesdays are going to be kind of slow here this year.  Ds finished practice last night at 9:30, so by the time I got him home, fed, showered, etc. nobody slept until closer to 11 - and alarms went off at 5:30am for school.

• coffee
  • make ds "lunch" (he tells me it's now mid-morning snack and he gets school lunch)
  • anatomy/physiology lab
  • pick up textbook
  • grocery shop
  • fold laundry
  • work on notes for history
  • 10,000 steps
  • French
  • violin
  • dinner: frozen pizza, I think.

Oh man that is a late night and an early morning.  How far away do you live from his practice?  Is there anyway he can eat on the ride home and then just shower and go to bed?  These late night activities are so hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

😆Definitely more like second breakfast!  Yesterday's meal plan went like this:

6am: large bowl of oatmeal, bacon and mini taco on the side, glass of oj

8:30am: container of mini-tacos, chips and guac, orange, and snack cake

11am: pizza meal at school

2:30pm: more mini tacos, a plain whole milk greek yogurt, popcorn, cheese

6:30pm: chicken breast, cup of green beans, served on a hefty base of risotto - twice, bowl of ice cream

10pm: peanut butter sandwich, banana

His study hall teacher is fine with him eating in class, and so are some of his other teachers.  But good grief, I know how this is going and I'm not looking forward to replacing an entire wardrobe again in a month and a half.

Holy cow.  Your grocery bill must be crazy.  All my kids eat a lot, but not as much as that.  We would be broke if they did.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Good morning!   No sleep last night!  I shouldn’t have drank a cup of coffee so close to bedtime.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Coffee

Bible

Read

Exercise

Trim bushes

Fix elliptical 

Vacuum

Brush out dog

Get collar on Crazy Dog

List something on marketplace

Supper: Nachos

No sleep??? Oh man.  I don't have much trouble getting to sleep if I have caffeine close to bed these days, but I do notice that my sleep isn't good.   Can you get a nap?  Is there anything that works for you if you have coffee late in the day to get sleep?  I drink a lot of water and if I am really wired take something to go to sleep.  For me that is Magnesium.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

No sleep??? Oh man.  I don't have much trouble getting to sleep if I have caffeine close to bed these days, but I do notice that my sleep isn't good.   Can you get a nap?  Is there anything that works for you if you have coffee late in the day to get sleep?  I drink a lot of water and if I am really wired take something to go to sleep.  For me that is Magnesium.

I thought about getting a nap, but I'm scared I won't get to sleep tonight.  My insomnia is crazy.   I took trazadone last night and still couldn't get to sleep.   I have gotten a lot done today though, so there's that, lol.  

• Sad 3

Good Morning

If feeling up to it spend time outside the heat and humidity has left, yay

laundry

mail packages that sold

list more items

ds wants us to watch the new  Spiderman movie before he has to attend a Q and A on it on Thursday

List event on hx group website

fill out registration papers for puppy

• Like 3

Howdie, happy Wednesday!

It's such a weird week, I don't know what day it is.  I woke up pretty late and suddenly remembered Wednesday - garbage day!  But then, it's a holiday week so ... garbage day is tomorrow.

My kids have another "heat day" to delay the start of school & give them more time to do their summer homework.  I'm happy for all of us!  I'd be OK with a couple more "heat days"!

I don't have a lot of specific "deadline work" to do, but I have a lot of mundane stuff that should be done before it becomes an emergency.

I should also spend some time on the kids' school stuff ... reading all the messages from teachers and admins, going through the ritual of packing the backpacks for the first day (though they don't need me for that), updating calendars and preparing certain paperwork.

Kid2 has a dentist appointment to fill some cavities.

And I need to catch up on personal reading, filing, bill paying ....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man that is a late night and an early morning.  How far away do you live from his practice?  Is there anyway he can eat on the ride home and then just shower and go to bed?  These late night activities are so hard.

We're only 15 minutes away on the drive home (and twice that on the way there), but there's the dressing and undressing part that adds in time.  And for all he gets dirty, he doesn't like to eat until he washes his hands. Usually I'll have something like a power bowl or burrito ready for him in the fridge, but yesterday was both of our first days of school, and it was after a holiday weekend, so I was running short.  That was the first time he's eaten a peanut butter sandwich in 4 years.  We have a policy of "don't kill our friends", and he's not particularly careful, so he mostly avoids nuts.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Holy cow.  Your grocery bill must be crazy.  All my kids eat a lot, but not as much as that.  We would be broke if they did.

😆Yeah, he's my only to eat like this. Even oldest ds didn't eat constantly during his growth spurts. Most of the time we do a menu for ds2 that is mostly protein, fat, whole grains, and fibrous veggies.  On the upside, that means a lot of home cooking and whole foods, which is cheaper than premade. On the downside it means I'm grocery shopping every other day as my fridge empties and haunting the clearance sections at the store for dented boxed items.  And the more we stray from our ideal menu, the more he eats.  Now it means figuring out Wednesdays and how to prep for them better as a recovery day.  Tonight is just going to have to be frozen pizza, though.  I'm tired.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We're only 15 minutes away on the drive home (and twice that on the way there), but there's the dressing and undressing part that adds in time.  And for all he gets dirty, he doesn't like to eat until he washes his hands. Usually I'll have something like a power bowl or burrito ready for him in the fridge, but yesterday was both of our first days of school, and it was after a holiday weekend, so I was running short.  That was the first time he's eaten a peanut butter sandwich in 4 years.  We have a policy of "don't kill our friends", and he's not particularly careful, so he mostly avoids nuts.

😆Yeah, he's my only to eat like this. Even oldest ds didn't eat constantly during his growth spurts. Most of the time we do a menu for ds2 that is mostly protein, fat, whole grains, and fibrous veggies.  On the upside, that means a lot of home cooking and whole foods, which is cheaper than premade. On the downside it means I'm grocery shopping every other day as my fridge empties and haunting the clearance sections at the store for dented boxed items.  And the more we stray from our ideal menu, the more he eats.  Now it means figuring out Wednesdays and how to prep for them better as a recovery day.  Tonight is just going to have to be frozen pizza, though.  I'm tired.

Yeah the first day of school and getting back into the routine is so hard.  I dread it every year.  I think about 3 weeks in I am good and just go with our new routine.  But trying to figure it all out and get it to work in the start is hard.  Hopefully it gets better for you both and you can figure it out so you both get more rest.

• Like 3

@HomeAgain, that's a lot of food! 

@cintinative, praying for a very good visit!

@ScoutTN, I think it was a combination of things. The school had a good administration change, and he had a lot of kids he just connected with. He had a few gifted/honors classes, and this area is a small town. I think I said last week that I've come in contact with several students from last year who just lit up when they saw him or I told them who my husband is. He's probably the oldest teacher in the school, and he plays on that. He calls himself a boomer and brags about being bad at technology. He let kids call him a nickname, and he usually doesn't do that. 

• Like 4

HI, all! 

Catching up/checking in -- today is 2nd Grade at the co-op, so I've done that, came home, uploaded the homework to the website, and sent the summary email to the parents. I reminded them about tuition and next week's evacuation drill -- please send your kids in shoes that fit! Won't come untied! Won't get walked out of on the way *quickly* out the building!  (Shall we take bets on how many will still lose their shoes during the drill??? :sigh:)

So, still to do:

...load in next week's 2nd Grade stuff into the main binder
...catch up on grading stuff for those that send me stuff to grade 

...figure out the grade book on our new website and then upload all of that
...make sure DS & Middle do their work for school - geology lab, at least skim the history chapter(s)
...dinner???? DH says he's in charge -whew

...figure out what, if anything, we want to do about the cats -- 1 has gone out and not come back (not entirely unusual), 1 is drinking water, but not eating good ???? :sigh: She's about 10...I don't know if that's old for a cat, though? She had a very upset tummy yesterday (she was already not eating before that), so not sure what's going on (she otherwise is behaving totally normally)
...take DS to church, grocery run, hang out, pick him up, come home
...maybe Ahsoka after?? if there's time

I think that's it. Heading up to remind the kiddos to do their lab stuff/school stuff, and then will work on my list.

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 6

graded all the papers - debating about the gradebook; I have grades as optional (I figure at K-2nd, parents don't *need* my set of eyes on the stuff unless they want), so not sure how to set it up where it doesn't list zeros for kids who  opt out, &/or list a class average of (something really low) since only 2-3 kids turn stuff in....Hmmm. Will ponder on that tomorrow when I have time to play with it. 

Packed the next week stuff for 2nd grade into the bag and got that set up. 

Got the kids to do their school stuff - the lab teacher listed a lab that says "your instructor will give you....." so we skipped that one, but they did the rest

Chatting w/DH while he cooks dinner

• Like 4

First day with all students. Day went pretty well overall. Getting the kiddos engaged will be more on the challenging side, but that's to be expected at an alternative high school. Tomorrow, they will have a challenge to make "bad art" and then I will have some staff judge it, but that will become the springboard for Fridays discussion for what is art, what is good art vs bad art, etc. 

Going to drop off the water heater at the recycling center then maybe stop at Menards for outlets.

• Like 5