Menu

Please help me jazz up this chicken soup

Grace Hopper

I have developed a routine of having soup for breakfast/first meal, it’s an easy way to feel satisfied, avoid empty carbs, and start my day with lots of veggies that are easy to digest (being cooked).

I’m stuck in a rut with the same tomato based veggie soup. I usually throw in tomatoes, celery, carrot, a little potato, zucchini, yellow squash, sometimes cauliflower - just depends on what’s in the fridge on soup making day. I use chicken, occasionally beef, bone broth for the base for a little protein and gut health. Sometimes vege broth and sometimes with chicken. Then various spices, sometimes toward an Italian profile, sometimes toward Indian. 

I have gi issues so currently using some things in moderation, no gluten, limited beans, garlic and onion (so sad 😢). 

Today is soup day. In the fridge I have a chicken I roasted and deboned, stock made from the bones, a bunch of parsley, a bunch of celery, carrots, celery and a zucchini. I have a can of black beans and could add some.

How would y’all Iron Chef this?

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

How about roasting the veggies first? Roasted carrot and zukes are so much tastier in my opinion. 

Oh that’s a good idea, I will try that! I’ll sure miss the onions. 😭  Roasting might make up some of the rich flavor I will lose by not adding tomatoes to this batch.

Forgot to say that I also usually add a little something like balsamic vinegar for depth of flavor. I used to add wine or sherry, but that is currently on the no-no list. Dang, now I’m craving a good turtle soup.

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What’s your technique? Do you bloom your spices in a bit of fat and carmelize your veg down before you toss them into soup?

Ginger? Bay? Pepper? 

Sage?

Lemongrass?

My technique usually depends on how much time I have. I do it in the instant pot  for convenience.  Usually I wilt  starter veggies with some olive oil, then add any dry herbs and spices, stir and cook for a minute or so, then pour in  crushed tomatoes, then the liquid stock, and anything else that I felt didn’t need to be first sautéed.   Then I toss in bay leaves or other fresh herbs if I didn’t use dried.  I cook 30 to 35 minutes on high and let it naturally release pressure.  If I’m adding a raw meat I may first sear that and remove to sauté the veggies, then add it back with the liquids. If using cooked meat,  I may cook 25 to 30 minutes, release and open the pressure cooker to add the cooked meat, then close the back for another 10 minutes  of cook time with a natural release. My goal is to really do this off pretty quickly so there have been times when I just plop it all in the pot at once and press cook.

As for grains, I have used cauliflower as a rice substitute, but I can’t do cauliflower every day, my gut doesn’t like it that often. If I want grain, I will just cook it separately and add some to my bowl when reheating a portion at meal time. 

1 minute ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Garlic and rosemary! Maybe a little squeeze of lemon.

Ah, lemon. I need to add that to my grocery list because that’s something I forgot to pick up. I bet that would be good with some Greek seasoning.

If using chicken, I am a big fan of generous amounts of rosemary and thyme.

Red pepper or even a bit of heat from a jalapeno is nice for a change.

Maybe try alternating between a savory/sweet and spicy/heat if the spicy versa n does not bother your digestive track.

I have been known to make egg drop soup for breakfast. You can leave the scallions out, and add more celery and some peas. 

11 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If using chicken, I am a big fan of generous amounts of rosemary and thyme.

Red pepper or even a bit of heat from a jalapeno is nice for a change.

Maybe try alternating between a savory/sweet and spicy/heat if the spicy versa n does not bother your digestive track.

I have been known to make egg drop soup for breakfast. You can leave the scallions out, and add more celery and some peas. 

Oh I love egg drop! And it’s soooo easy. Thanks for the reminder. It doesn’t get in all the veggies (which is my primary goal), but good protein and yummy. I could use a bit of chopped leek instead of green onions, I find them milder. 

39 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Oh I love egg drop! And it’s soooo easy. Thanks for the reminder. It doesn’t get in all the veggies (which is my primary goal), but good protein and yummy. I could use a bit of chopped leek instead of green onions, I find them milder. 

I love leeks in mine!

Also, when I want to get more veggies in at breakfast, I will make quiche. Some frozen spinach with all the water squeezed out of it, red pepper, finely diced leeks or green onion, and eggs, top with a sprinkle of diced cherry tomatoes. Very filling and healthy.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BandH said:

I am in love with avgolemono soup.  I do orzo instead of the traditional rice, and I add veggies.  Carrots, spinach, and zucchini are particularly good because they don't take away from the silkiness of the soup. 

Ok I had to google avgolemono soup and this looks delicious! Than you!

I’ve linked a recipe below - is this similar to the way you make it. Does it keep/reheat very well? I love orzo but will have to use rice to avoid the gluten. 

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/avgolemono-soup-recipe/#tasty-recipes-10557-jump-target

For a daily routine like that, where soup is just how you are doing breakfast, and you want that to be for the long term... aside from 'jazzing things up' another important principle would be to strategically leave things out. Lots of things make good soup, and all of them together really make awesome soup... but it only makes one soup (awesome-everything soup) and doesn't allow for your palate to be surprised. Putting in all the veggies all the time might be counter-productive.

It's good that you have a few base ideas (not just one) but I suggest (on top of what you already see here) that you intentionally make up little rules to follow, so that your favorites don't become boring. 3 or 4 soups won't keep you happy forever. I think you will need more like 6 to 10 soups, plus 'innovation firdays' or something. That will keep you going in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Ok I had to google avgolemono soup and this looks delicious! Than you!

I’ve linked a recipe below - is this similar to the way you make it. Does it keep/reheat very well? I love orzo but will have to use rice to avoid the gluten. 

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/avgolemono-soup-recipe/#tasty-recipes-10557-jump-target

The part where they make the tempering with the egg and the lemon and the chicken broth is how I do it.  I vary the vegetables and use more, and never celery.  I have also done just chicken and veggies, and vegetarian broth and chickpeas instead of chicken.  

• Thanks 1

You could use sweet potato instead of white potatoes to change the flavor some (if you aren’t already)

I also always put a couple of bay leaves and the rind of a good chunk of Parmesan cheese to simmer in the soup (remove when done).

Like pp, I also love cilantro and lime with any chicken-veggie soup, especially one with a few black beans. You could do Mexican/taco seasonings for this variation (cumin, paprika, chili powder, etc)

4 hours ago, bolt. said:

For a daily routine like that, where soup is just how you are doing breakfast, and you want that to be for the long term... aside from 'jazzing things up' another important principle would be to strategically leave things out. Lots of things make good soup, and all of them together really make awesome soup... but it only makes one soup (awesome-everything soup) and doesn't allow for your palate to be surprised. Putting in all the veggies all the time might be counter-productive.

It's good that you have a few base ideas (not just one) but I suggest (on top of what you already see here) that you intentionally make up little rules to follow, so that your favorites don't become boring. 3 or 4 soups won't keep you happy forever. I think you will need more like 6 to 10 soups, plus 'innovation firdays' or something. That will keep you going in the long term.

When I’m operating efficiently, I make 2-3 batches of different types, then portion them into individual servings and freeze. Then each evening I move one to the fridge to thaw a bit for easy reheating. Like tomorrow (because I fell into a novel and didn’t get it done today) I’ll make some version of the chicken-carrot-celery, plus a butternut squash soup (that is super yummy with a little crystallized ginger bits on top).

But you are definitely right - it’s easy to get into a rut of making the same thing, and that gets boring. Plus my gi tract od’s on too much tomato, which is just fine in at times but not three weeks in a row!

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Can you eat dairy? I like to stir in/melt a little cream cheese into my soups sometimes. Works especially well with southwest/Mexican flavors. Also Italian.

No, and that’s limiting. I can do hard cheeses, and goat cheese, but mostly just sprinkled or crumbled atop a dish (goat cheese over sautéed balsamic portobello mushrooms… chef’s kiss!). But not as a substantial ingredient other than once in a blue moon. I can have dairy in in moderation, but save it for splurging on a cafe au lait once a week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

No, and that’s limiting. I can do hard cheeses, and goat cheese, but mostly just sprinkled or crumbled atop a dish (goat cheese over sautéed balsamic portobello mushrooms… chef’s kiss!). But not as a substantial ingredient other than once in a blue moon. I can have dairy in in moderation, but save it for splurging on a cafe au lait once a week. 

Maybe coconut cream then. 🙂 You’ve probably already tried it though. 

Edited by popmom