Menu

College Class of 2027 - Rising Sophomores - Check in Here

mlktwins

Time to wake up this thread! What is up with your rising sophomore?! 

My Dd got home from her summer camp job today. Hooray for two weeks with my girl! 

She will be moving into an apartment that comes mostly furnished. She and the other three girls are working on who’s bringing what for the kitchen. 

Her scholarships are all good to go. She will need to buy a parking pass and a very small meal plan. 

• Like 7

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rising sophomore has had a good summer: lots of hard work, swimming, social time. Our lives are getting a bit of a make-over when my elderly mother moves in this fall! I though she might have to arrive before dd leaves for college but now it seems she won't arrive until late September, which is better for all of us.

Dd cut her work hours way back, which I think is smart. She wants more downtime before heading back to college. Her old car died its final death in July, so she won't be driving out there and I feel happier about that - she doesn't need a car on campus and the allure of shopping or lending it to friends for road trips would not have been good for that old car. Problem solved.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 7

Youngest dd is leaving today to spend a year studying abroad. My sophmores are both working for another week or so and then a little downtime. Mid-August I'll spend a week driving around the country dropping them at their respective campuses. Then I'll return to a silent house for about 12 straight hours a day. Sigh. I'm planning some travel to stay sane.

Both of my second-years have on campus jobs lined up, which is a nice surprise. One will start a co-op in the spring and the other hopes to study abroad. I love this kind of time period where things are planned and everything looks a-ok! in contrast to other times when things start careening out of control. 😄

• Like 10

This rising sophomore finished the first of 6 modules and is currently studying the Ethics module. The tutor does not become available for another 2 weeks (it's technically summer holiday at college, but all the course materials are up!). By then, I hope to have the Ethics module completed as well. Some new project work (same hours and organisation as previous role, more pay) will help put a new angle on the studies.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Youngest dd is leaving today to spend a year studying abroad. My sophmores are both working for another week or so and then a little downtime. Mid-August I'll spend a week driving around the country dropping them at their respective campuses. Then I'll return to a silent house for about 12 straight hours a day. Sigh. I'm planning some travel to stay sane.

Both of my second-years have on campus jobs lined up, which is a nice surprise. One will start a co-op in the spring and the other hopes to study abroad. I love this kind of time period where things are planned and everything looks a-ok! in contrast to other times when things start careening out of control. 😄

Where will your dd go for study abroad? Somewhere you can visit?!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Where will your dd go for study abroad? Somewhere you can visit?!

Germany. Visits aren't encouraged - in an effort to help the students fully integrate. I've mostly come to peace with that. It helps that I know she is definitely doing the right thing for her.

It was a lengthy, competitive application process for the scholarship. She has been interested in the program for years after learning about it during WTMAcademy German class. I'm really proud of her perseverance and determination.

I'm this age of connectivity I will at least know regularly what she's up to!

• Like 6

My dd will be driving ds back to college in about 11 days. They’ll stay with a high school friend on the way. They haven’t seen him in a couple of years, so that will be fun. 

The money worked out again this year. Ds didn’t end up making as much as he wanted, but got a surprise grant that made it enough. 

However, his girlfriend broke up with him this weekend and he is crushed. I am nursing him through his first broken heart. I liked her, too. It’s hard. I’m just thankful he isn’t in the midst of finals. 

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Germany. Visits aren't encouraged - in an effort to help the students fully integrate. I've mostly come to peace with that. It helps that I know she is definitely doing the right thing for her.

It was a lengthy, competitive application process for the scholarship. She has been interested in the program for years after learning about it during WTMAcademy German class. I'm really proud of her perseverance and determination.

I'm this age of connectivity I will at least know regularly what she's up to!

We have a family friend who just completed that program! He has a wonderful experience.

• Like 5

On 8/4/2024 at 2:33 PM, freesia said:

However, his girlfriend broke up with him this weekend and he is crushed. I am nursing him through his first broken heart. I liked her, too. It’s hard. I’m just thankful he isn’t in the midst of finals. 

So sorry :-(. My son broke up with his first girlfriend this summer (after 1.5 years). They went to colleges 5 hours apart though and that didn't help. He had good reasons to do it, but it was still hard. I'm glad it was while he was home and we could be there for him. I liked his girlfriend too. He is now kind of looking forward to having a girlfriend on campus this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi all!  I love seeing all the updates!

What a year we had here. Some good, some bad. The bad was my DH had his first afib event the week after we dropped DS2 off at school :-(. He had another one in May.

Also, as many of you already know, I've been caring for my father (with dementia) for 5+ years. He passed away on June 22nd. A lot of my time this school year (really the entire 5+ years) went to his care and he was on hospice the last 2 months. We will have his apartment cleaned out by August 31st. This school year will hopefully be much less eventful 🤞, which is good because I am totally drained!!!

DS1 heads back to school next Sunday. He loved his first year (except for all the sickness) and his roommate. They made friends with the 2 guys across the hall. They are going to be on campus again this year (different dorm and across the hall again) and then going off-campus the remainder of their time in a 4 bed/bath apartment or townhouse. Will be nice when they have their own rooms and bathrooms (and we don't have to move everything twice during the summer -- LOL). He is technically a 2nd semester sophomore and will be applying early to the College of Business this fall for a spring start. Super proud as he made the Dean's List first semester and President's List with a 4.0 second semester. He said to enjoy it because there may not be another 4.0 😁. He took 2 pre-requisite econ classes this summer and took his last final today. He is very glad those are off his plate. He has 2 gen eds left - a lab science that he is taking this fall and a lit class. He is planning to take lit at CC next summer.

DS2 heads back on the 24th. He is also a 2nd semester sophomore and was already accepted to the College of Business this summer. He was on President's list both semesters with a 4.0 and made the Esports team last semester. He has to stay on campus to keep his merit money so this year he is living in an on-campus apartment with 3 random roommates. He has to share a bedroom, but they will have their own bathroom, a full kitchen (nice with granite and stainless steel appliances), and living area. The apartments are only a few years old so that is nice. I am hoping they all get along and decide to room together again next year. Would make it so much easier on mama -- LOL! He is not my social kid, which is why I like him being involved in Esports.

Both boys finished their last summer with our summer swim team and worked as lifeguards. They are starting early this fall looking for internships for next summer.

I feel relieved to see that our homeschooling efforts are serving them well. A lot of college seems to be test taking, which they are both good at. They did NOT get that from me. I don't have a single regret homeschooling them, but I don't miss it. I will be taking time to rest and regroup this year, catching up on a lot of home projects that have been neglected, and then see where I'm at after that.

I look forward to seeing how everyone does during their 2nd year of college! I know they will do great!!!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I will be taking time to rest and regroup this year, catching up on a lot of home projects that have been neglected, and then see where I'm at after that.

Whew, so glad this can be your upcoming reset. You've been through a lot. Glad to see your boys are thriving. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We got DS1 moved in Sunday. Went really well. He is in a different (much newer) dorm and likes it so much better. I'm currently packing for DS2 to move in Saturday. I'm a little stressed because they are all random roommates and I have no clue what anyone is bringing (it is an on-campus apartment). So I am just bringing stuff for my guy and we can hopefully figure out what every needs to get for the kitchen and bathroom, etc. while we are there Saturday. I don't even know when anyone else is moving in. We are going early on the first day for upper-classman 🤷‍♀️. Wish me luck -- LOL!

I hope everyone is doing well with either moving your kiddo in, already adjusting to them being gone, or packing to move them in! I've still got next week to finish my dad's apartment. Then I can breathe a little :-)!!

• Like 9

Ds is settled in and loves rooming with his friend and across from another friend—last year he and his roommate didn’t talk and his dorm was faaaar from his friends. He and his ex are still hanging out in their friend group together so they are past the awkwardness. The most baffling news is that, even though classes don’t start until tomorrow, he knows he has a quiz in differential equations on Friday. If you knew how allergic this kid is to syllabi, you would know how shockingly wonderful it is that he knows this! 😂 

I am sooo glad he has a successful year under his belt!

Edited by freesia
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Dd and Dh just drove away, heading off to sophomore year. She had a good summer of work, relaxing, socializing, and time in nature. Here's to a great year for all of our rising sophomores!

• Like 8

Dd has the dog with her now, living in an apartment. I miss his click-clacking nails, his sweet brown eyes, and his snuggles, but he is really Dd’s dog and I am glad she can have a pet there. I think life with 4 college girls is pretty nice for him. IMG_6939.thumb.jpeg.3b58d405561296a564e6694c185659fc.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Both my boys’ fall quarter starts on Sep 25th, 26th and DS19 has summer finals this week. 
Now trying to figure out what to do for thanksgiving break as DS18 is 3 hrs north and DS19 is 7 hrs south. Hotels and airfares are expensive for thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 6

DS is back at school, having left Thursday. This year he has a roommate who he became friends with last year, which is a much better situation than the difficult one he had last year.

The difference between showing up and not knowing anyone last year vs meeting up with friends to hang out before classes start is vast.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Meanwhile he is asking to take an iron to college. Any recommendations? I have seen some tiny travel ones.

Take a full size one if he is thinking of ironing shirts and pants. The travel size ones are nice for people like me who finds the regular one too heavy and don’t mind ironing the same area a million times. 
Did he check if the resident service office might have irons and ironing boards to load to residents? 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Take a full size one if he is thinking of ironing shirts and pants. The travel size ones are nice for people like me who finds the regular one too heavy and don’t mind ironing the same area a million times. 
Did he check if the resident service office might have irons and ironing boards to load to residents? 

I am very skeptical this boy will iron. Also the dorm rooms are so tiny, I am not sure where he will store it, but he insists on owning one. 🤷‍♀️

20 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am very skeptical this boy will iron. Also the dorm rooms are so tiny, I am not sure where he will store it, but he insists on owning one. 🤷‍♀️

Under the bed. A normal size iron don’t take up significantly more footprint than a travel iron. If he wants a travel size one, the ones with the fold down handle can usually be stored in a drawer.

• Like 1

My son has ended up starting a 2-year IT program, and he just applied for an online IT program to get a 4-year degree.  His teacher thinks it’s a good option locally.  He is living with my parents and has no plans to change that.  

He was friends with several students a year younger than him in high school, so he’s at the same technical school with 2 good friends, though they are in a different program.  That is working out extremely well.  

He does a surprising amount of adulting tasks for my parents, but probably different ones than college students.  I usually see him once a week, which is nice 🙂

• Like 6

We drove over to see Dd today. Took her some stuff for the apartment and visited with her roommates. I am glad to have seen where she lives. 
We went to lunch at a Thai place, walked around campus, and got ice cream. A nice day.

She is doing well, except that she hasn’t gotten a part time job yet. 

• Like 3

Now that it was down to the deadline, DS started waffling about putting down the deposit for study abroad next semester. He's not accepted yet and it's competitive so he might not be, in which case the deposit is refunded. I suspect it's a step to make the students really think about whether they want to do it or not; it certainly had that effect on him.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS started waffling about putting down the deposit for study abroad next semester.

My dd is also planning next semester abroad, but last I heard the application process was hung up on the short answer section. I don't know if it is a competitive program or not, but I'm sitting on my hands too not ask if the application has been completed. 🤐 She needs to do her own adulting on this and if she's secretly waffling my inquiry will be unappreciated. If she has finished already a question from me would be no big deal. So until she mentions it, mums the word!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

My dd is also planning next semester abroad, but last I heard the application process was hung up on the short answer section. I don't know if it is a competitive program or not, but I'm sitting on my hands too not ask if the application has been completed. 🤐 She needs to do her own adulting on this and if she's secretly waffling my inquiry will be unappreciated. If she has finished already a question from me would be no big deal. So until she mentions it, mums the word!

Yes! We were also sitting on our hands but got a status update from DS since money was now involved. Before that we only knew there was a checklist and he was working his way through it, and that he had a zoom meeting with the study abroad advisor this summer.

• Like 3