Menu

Those cooling neck towel things??

teachermom2834

I bought a couple for my biologist dd and her co-worker who were going on a trip to survey/collect. They said they helped (just the cheap cooling towels I found on Amazon (these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0887VBSGM). They said the towels helped but mostly they ended up using them as head/neck/mouth covers. They had to regularly re-wet them (think dry Arizona heat). 

I had a Frogg Togg - seemed to help but that thing dries into this monster stiff thing that is just hard to handle. 

I have a neck fan that I wear sometimes. It helps some, but it still feel weird to me. I've seen other ladies wear them (mostly older ladies who work in JoAnns - I guess it gets warm in there after a while?) and I've asked them and they like theirs. They get used to it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSZ2TM8 

• Thanks 1

Will it be humid or dry where they are? In Florida I found them useless - the water never evaporates so no cooling effect, and soon your body warms them so now you have a soggy warm towel on your neck. What helps here is to have some babywipes in a cooler, and wipe off the sweat with a nice cold wipe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Will it be humid or dry where they are? In Florida I found them useless - the water never evaporates so no cooling effect, and soon your body warms them so now you have a soggy warm towel on your neck. What helps here is to have some babywipes in a cooler, and wipe off the sweat with a nice cold wipe. 

Humid but not FL. But I do see people using them so maybe they help? Or maybe it would just be a psychological help. Lol. She’s fine, actually. I just really hate the heat and I would be miserable so I am dreading it for her. 

We use Frog Toggs and similar.  In fact, there's a mini one (about 3in wide, 18in long) in our outdoors first aid kit.  We always keep a new one in there after a particularly brutal hike where we met up with another party that had a member suffering from the heat. It was ds's idea and really came in handy.  They do dry stiff, but we deal with that by draping it over a hanger to fold in half, and then when it is mostly dry we fold in half again.

• Thanks 1

Will she have a cooler? If so, cold squeze apple sauce, cold rehydration drink, cold water, and cold baby wipes are truly the best. Or even a wet washcloth in a zip lock of ice - as the ice melts you get an icy cold wash cloth to wipe your face/neck/arms/wrists with, and that really feels good. 

OH, and mini fan, or one of those mist bottles that you can put cold water in. 

And a hat with a brim - they are a must even though I hate them, lol. And a reminder to stay in the shade. at least here, the difference between the radiant heat (I think that is the right term) in the sun, versus in the shade, is HUGE HUGE HUGE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Will it be humid or dry where they are? In Florida I found them useless - the water never evaporates so no cooling effect, and soon your body warms them so now you have a soggy warm towel on your neck. 

Yep. We had some years ago and they were useless. I eventually got rid of them.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

OH, and mini fan

And a hat with a brim - they are a must even though I hate them, lol.

I have a neck fan. It can be annoying and get in the way but it does help. Mine is rechargeable using a usb cord. 

Hats - I hate them and prefer "air in my hair" but I do wear one when I'm out in the sun. A hat with a brim is necessary no matter how much I hate it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yep. We had some years ago and they were useless. I eventually got rid of them.

I have a neck fan. It can be annoying and get in the way but it does help. Mine is rechargeable using a usb cord. 

Hats - I hate them and prefer "air in my hair" but I do wear one when I'm out in the sun. A hat with a brim is necessary no matter how much I hate it.

Same. I feel like hats make me hotter, but it is probably mental. And I KNOW what skin cancer does to you, so I put up with it if I am going to be out a long time, and remember. 

23 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Sun visor hat? https://sundayafternoons.com/collections/sun-visor-hats/products/garden-visor?variant=37929213198526

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Same. I feel like hats make me hotter, but it is probably mental.

For summer hats, I usually wear those wide brim hats with ventilation mesh/holes. My baseball caps would make my hair feel sticky.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Unfortunately where I live you really need to cover your whole head. I've had a scalp sunburn before, especially where my part is. A wide brim hat also helps cover the back of your neck.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Unfortunately where I live you really need to cover your whole head. I've had a scalp sunburn before, especially where my part is. A wide brim hat also helps cover the back of your neck.

Yup. And my mom had squamous cell cancer taken off the back of her neck recently, so I'm being more careful now!

• Like 1