Menu

Receipt Apps....pros/ cons etc

ProudGrandma

I have been thinking about exploring these receipt apps that supposedly gives you money back... but at what cost? I mean,  are they just data collecting agents? Are there other hidden costs or cons to doing this?   Are there ones that are better than others?  I am always a bit leery about things like this,  but I am curious too.

Thanks!

I use a popular rebate app. I find that I have to really plan out my purchases to make the most of the app, and just like old paper rebates, the name brand product with the rebate is often still more expensive than store brand products. I choose to get my cash back in the form of gift cards for place I use frequently such as Starbucks or Subway. 
I don’t worry about the apps collecting data about my purchases because that already happens when I use my frequent shopper grocery store card or pay with a card at other stores.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

and just like old paper rebates, the name brand product with the rebate is often still more expensive than store brand products.

This is why I don't use them. I've tried several times and I just never buy the products that give you rebates. Even when they're on sale they're either not things we eat or store brand is still cheaper. I'm sure if I played the game right I'd get back enough to make up the difference but I don't want to take the time to figure it out. My 34yo niece otoh is an expert at using them. Perhaps because she has twin teenagers and a 6yo she uses more of the products that give you rebates.

I used some for a while when things were really tight. It was not worth the work to keep with it long term. I usually shop at Aldi's and buy generics. For what we bought the payoff was very small and a lot of chasing deals that I'd rather not do. I also got really burned on a similar site and it jaded me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Soror said:

I used some for a while when things were really tight. It was not worth the work to keep with it long term. I usually shop at Aldi's and buy generics. For what we bought the payoff was very small and a lot of chasing deals that I'd rather not do. I also got really burned on a similar site and it jaded me.

What other site did you have issues with?

I have sort of given up on not being tracked. I use Rakuten, Honey (PayPal), and Ibotta. 

Honey isn’t worth it since PayPal took it over. 

Rakuten is good. It takes zero effort. Good for those of us who do a lot of our shopping online for pick up or shipping. 

Ibotta… I go through spells where I use it consistently, and the cash back is excellent. At Publix I can even use paper coupons and still get cash back on the items. (Stacking) Walmart doesn’t let you do that. Ibotta requires some discipline in that you have to take pics and upload your receipts. I have to do it the second I get home or it’ll never happen. 

A few things  currently on my Ibotta list:

organic milk

Jimmy Dean bacon 

Duke’s Mayo

Nature Valley Protein bars (for better or worse my youngest lives off these)

Pacific Foods soups

Tetley Tea

Cremo beard products (my dh’s preference)

Finish Jet Dry rinse aid and all other finish products.

Most of these are at least $1.00 back per purchase/item. It adds up quickly!

Some of these are my go to brands on things that I regularly buy. Publix puts the Nature Valley protein bars BOGO regularly, and I can redeem the offers up to 5 times per receipt. I will buy generic bars if there are no deals. 

I have made over $90 on Ibotta since December 2022. And I haven’t even used as much as I normally would due to wedding planning. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I only use the one that you just scan your receipt and go--Fetch. You automatically get some points just for scanning; different products earn different amounts of points for periods of time.  Most of what I buy doesn't earn big points, but over time I've earned over $100 worth of Amazon giftcards by being consistent.  (I, too, have a code should anyone want to try it! 😉)

• Like 2

I used to do them a lot, but we changed how we ate (minimally processed), and the whole thing became not-worth-it. 

I've been earning giftcards via Bing instead. I only spend about 5 minutes a day on it, (if that), and usually earn 400-500 points each day. When you get to 6500 points, I cash out for either an Amazon or Starbucks gift card. There are other cards, but those are the ones most relevant for my life. 

• Like 1

DH uses Ibotta and Fetch.  He does get quite a bit of money back with Ibotta but it also seems like he puts a lot of time into it.  I don't know if it's worth it.  We do eat a lot of processed foods though.  I think yesterday he got money back on Edy's ice cream and Town House crackers.  But sometimes you'll get money back just for scanning your receipt or buying produce or something like that.  But those are usually tiny amounts.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, kfeusse said:

are they just data collecting agents?

DH (computer engineer, worked in encryption and security) says yes. He doesn't go overboard on privacy, but it was a hard no from him on those apps.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:27 PM, popmom said:

I have sort of given up on not being tracked. I use Rakuten, Honey (PayPal), and Ibotta. 

Honey isn’t worth it since PayPal took it over. 

Rakuten is good. It takes zero effort. Good for those of us who do a lot of our shopping online for pick up or shipping. 

Ibotta… I go through spells where I use it consistently, and the cash back is excellent. At Publix I can even use paper coupons and still get cash back on the items. (Stacking) Walmart doesn’t let you do that. Ibotta requires some discipline in that you have to take pics and upload your receipts. I have to do it the second I get home or it’ll never happen. 

I have made over $90 on Ibotta since December 2022. And I haven’t even used as much as I normally would due to wedding planning. 

I didn't know Honey was paypal.  I have been disappointed in them.  usually when it wants to "show me something cheaper", it's not the same thing.  

how exactly does rakuten work?  I do lots of online shopping, mostly, but not all, through amazon.   I've started ordering stuff from HD online (vs just picking up in store) as I can get Alaska miles.  Or pay via paypal with the credit card app (don't remember what it's called) that gives "points" that I can use like money on paypal purchases.

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I've been earning giftcards via Bing instead. I only spend about 5 minutes a day on it, (if that), and usually earn 400-500 points each day. When you get to 6500 points, I cash out for either an Amazon or Starbucks gift card. There are other cards, but those are the ones most relevant for my life. 

I prefer Google as a search engine and use Chrome as my default browser. I open Edge daily to earn my Bing points. I've earned quite a bit in Amazon gift cards over the years.

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I forgot about Rakuten.  We've used that for many years and have gotten a lot of money back there.  DH uses some others too - Top Cash Back?  I don't remember.  But Rakuten is good and easy to use.

I just looked up Rakuten and learned it used to be ebates. I tried ebates years ago but just didn't earn enough to work at it.

46 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

how exactly does rakuten work?  I do lots of online shopping, mostly, but not all, through amazon.   

The way I use Rakuten is that I go to the site before I shop at the store online and then use their link to get to the store's website and then just continue shopping.  They send out a check every three months if your rebate is over $5.  I'm sure there are more efficient ways to shop with them but that's the way I've always done it.  Sometimes the rebates are really good - 10% or more.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I used to do them a lot, but we changed how we ate (minimally processed), and the whole thing became not-worth-it. 

I've been doing bing for years (I buy $5 amazon gift cards for 5250 points. and a year of ad free MS jigsaw for ? points).  I also earn points on my phone.
Different gift cards are different amounts. (I've seen as low as 1800.  not counting the "200" point raffle tickets   . )

What gift card is 6500 points?  Just curious.