Menu

There’s a peacock in my yard

Ann.without.an.e

32 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Here, too.  God forbid you happen to walk by their nest (which, of course will be by the entrance to a building, in a median in a parking lot, next to a common walking path, etc.  I've been attacked many times as I unwittingly passed by an ill-placed nest.  One tried to attack our car at the ATM the other day.  

I hate the Canada Geese.  They are vicious and poop everywhere.  The babies are cute though

• Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 9:55 PM, katilac said:

The idea of feral peacocks is really amusing me, and for some reason I'm now imagining them in a gang, strutting threateningly down the street, West Side Story style. 

Makes me think of the parrot colonies in NYC.  I was watching a documentary.   A doberman wouldn't go down that street

On 4/24/2023 at 7:04 AM, Dmmetler said:

Here, the roving gangs are Canada Geese...

There must be truth to the "Canadians have secret ceremonies at midnight,  and give all their aggressive feelings to the geese.".  

I turned my back on a swan once.  It was across a large garden pond.  A black swan and I was wearing a dark taffeta skirt...it flew across the pond and attacked me.  Fortunately dh was with me and started kicking at it to leave me alone. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 11:52 AM, gardenmom5 said:

There must be truth to the "Canadians have secret ceremonies at midnight,  and give all their aggressive feelings to the geese.".  

I'm pretty sure this is completely true. The aggression is partially due to living way up north in the cold, and those damn Canada geese can fly south for the winter. Bastards. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm pretty sure this is completely true. The aggression is partially due to living way up north in the cold, and those damn Canada geese can fly south for the winter. Bastards. 

The ones here stay all year round. They didn't just migrate, they immigrated!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@Ann.without.an.e How is your peacock doing?

I think he moved on 😕. He is on the search for a mate and he gave up on our chickens. He hasn’t been here for two nights now. I can tell DS was a little sad. Unfortunately for him we don’t live in India so he’s not likely to find a peahen around here. Poor fella.

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Sad 8

12 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I think he moved on 😕. He is on the search for a mate and he gave up on our chickens. He hasn’t been here for two nights now. I can tell DS was a little sad. Unfortunately for him we don’t live in India so he’s not likely to find a peahen around here. Poor fella.

So, clearly the thing to do is to get a peahen....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Our neighbors had a peacock for a while, but they ended up rehoming it, much to my relief. They are pretty, but this guy was a jerk!  The thing used to come by my house and scream at its reflection in the door every morning at 7 am. I chased it off with DS14's rc truck, much to the horror of my neighbor's grandkids who were visiting that day. 

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Our neighbors had a peacock for a while, but they ended up rehoming it, much to my relief. They are pretty, but this guy was a jerk!  The thing used to come by my house and scream at its reflection in the door every morning at 7 am. I chased it off with DS14's rc truck, much to the horror of my neighbor's grandkids who were visiting that day. 

my neighbor works for an insurance agency and she said she just had a filed claimed. The guy is building a house and the neighbors peacocks broke out a few of his large windows. They’re pretty obsessed with reflections but goodness that’s crazy right?

• Like 4

My  daughter was chased by a peacock at the Cincinnati Zoo. She ran into the bathroom and it followed her. She hid in the stall until it left. 

There were a flock of peacocks in the  woods near our old house. When they developed the land, they named the neighborhood - Peacock Park.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I LOVE your description of the peacock! At least Canada geese don't ofetn get called jerks (though they certainly can fit the personality type). 🤣

• Like 1

I think they have a very short memory? He’ll go about anywhere for tomatoes. I was tossing him tomatoes and we rounded the corner and he saw the chicken coop and it was like “oh chickens” and he headed there fast. He was just down there this morning 😂 but it was like a surprise to him, you could tell. I think this is why they wander so much. They get a little bit away and they don’t remember a thing? I need to research this to back my theory. 
or wait …. Maybe it’s just that his ultimate goal is a mate and for the male brain s&x always trumps tomatoes 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Well he is very beautiful.
None of your chickens are tempted to try something new?

🤣🤣

They haven't been out of the coop/run with him at all. Our rooster is mean and I'm a tad afraid they would fight? I need to do some reading up on this. We occasionally let them free range but only when we're out there, we have a lot of hawks and other predators. 

37 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Is neutering birds a thing like it is for dogs and cats?  

I know it is for chickens. Neutered roosters are called capons. It’s a pretty tricky surgery because  the male parts are located inside the bird somewhere near the rib cage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tenaj said:

You are making me want a peacock 🙂. My uncle had some on his farm when I was a kid.  We would get the long feathers that fell out and balance them on our palms or noses.  

I almost want to find a peahen for sale but I think that’s when they can get weird and territorial? When they are protecting a peahen and clutch. Plus I read somewhere that he won’t be happy unless he has several peahens to mate with? I don’t know if that’s true. 

• Like 1