Menu

S/O... can we get a list of what other countries are desperate for as far as workers go? Minimum requirements?

WildflowerMom

I'm interested in forwarding this info to ds but don't have a clue where to start.   someone just shared a link for NZ.   Any other counties y'all can link to?   I think a lot of us are probably contemplating this and have been for a while.   

requirements:  better gun laws, safety, and for me specifically, universal healthcare and good mental healthcare.     

thanks 

• Like 2

For my country of origin, nurses are what they are desperate for. However they don’t pay nurses well because the doctors and nurses from neighboring countries are willing to come over for higher wages than their countries.  No guns allowed though and stabbings while rare do occur and some are fatal. No universal healthcare and quality of mental healthcare is very random. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For my country of origin, nurses are what they are desperate for. However they don’t pay nurses well because the doctors and nurses from neighboring countries are willing to come over for higher wages than their countries.  No guns allowed though and stabbings while rare do occur and some are fatal. No universal healthcare and quality of mental healthcare is very random. 

Thanks Arcadia! 

Canada is a possibility. Add in increased public transportation options - certainly for major urban centres (this is compared to the US. I'm aware that Europe tends to have amazing public transport.)

I guess it depends what you mean by "desperate," too. Our population is aging, and we welcome immigrants. Education wise, our system is fairly similar to the US, too. Certain sectors are in high demand, such as health care, and skilled trades. We have a reasonably robust high tech sector, so there are employment opportunities.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned this in the other thread, but my family has been looking into Italian passports based on Jure Sanguinis (the right to claim Italian citizenship based on Italian family bloodline). If any of you know you have a family tree with Italian relatives, it may be worth exploring.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If memory serves, Barbados is being very welcoming to workers who can work their current jobs remote. This probably means it is easy for IT workers and their dependents to go there. Mark and I have talked about doing a 3-6 month stint there just to escape it all. However, his mom is so unstable at the moment, it isn't a possibilty.

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just found the website. The visa lasts 12 months. I am not sure if it is easy to renew for another year. But it would represent a definite mental break from the U.S. for those that qualify.

https://www.visitbarbados.org/barbados-welcome-stamp

Adding healthcare information

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_Barbados

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Just found the website. The visa lasts 12 months. I am not sure if it is easy to renew for another year. But it would represent a definite mental break from the U.S. for those that qualify.

https://www.visitbarbados.org/barbados-welcome-stamp

Adding healthcare information

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_Barbados

Yep, I’m showing this to dh, too.   We couldn’t do it right now because of our elderly dog, but it might be something to consider when her time has come.    

Learning a lot here, thanks y’all for responding.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but my family has been looking into Italian passports based on Jure Sanguinis (the right to claim Italian citizenship based on Italian family bloodline). If any of you know you have a family tree with Italian relatives, it may be worth exploring.

I have a friend who did this.  It took them years and a ton of work to do it, but they are all Italian citizens now and happily living and working in the EU with their kids attending local high schools.  It really is not a simple process though.  

• Like 3

I remember a few years ago it was a big thing is some parents of autism groups that pursuing a diagnosis could end your child’s chances of moving to another country if they chose to as an adult, so it was a consideration for some families. Googling around today I find that it was only in 2018 that Canada removed an autism diagnosis as a barrier to immigration.

It appears New Zealand has a policy that they’ll only accept you if you won’t cost more than $48,000 in healthcare, which eliminates a lot of people from having any chance of immigrating there.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When we immigrated to Canada, the process took nearly two years (the process is understandably onerous—we needed references from every single job we’d had since 18 and proof of every address, plus health tests like TB etc) and required a job offer. They have a points system which includes education,  job title/position, language (English and French), age, etc.—that’s the place to start to see if it’s even a possibility. While we easily had plenty of points then, our age now would probably be a disqualifier. We didn’t have preexisting health conditions at the time but IIRC that might have been part of the application. Job offers without Canadian experience can be very difficult to come by as the employer must prove there are no qualified Canadian applicants.

Just like the states, it’s a huge diverse country. Health care varies widely (we had to wait nearly 2 years before we were assigned a doctor because there weren’t any available, and even then DH’s boss had to pull strings). Mental health in our province wasn’t going to be a possibility. We spent as much on health insurance (to include vision and dental) as we did at DH ‘s job in the US. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not sure how pre-existing conditions will work for a type one diab kid.   Sigh.    Maybe I need to push him to move somewhere in the states with better safety, requirements, access to healthcare, etc.    idk.   It's just depressing to even think about this stuff, ykwim? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how pre-existing conditions will work for a type one diab kid.   Sigh.    Maybe I need to push him to move somewhere in the states with better safety, requirements, access to healthcare, etc.    idk.   It's just depressing to even think about this stuff, ykwim? 

This only mentions TB. I don't know if other conditions are an issue 

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/documents-you-must-provide

This describes accessing healthcare as an immigrant worker.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/publications/healthcare-for-people-coming-to-scotland-to-work-factsheet

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Right.  My Dh is 50 years old and a type 1 diabetic.  That’s not a very welcoming demographic in most countries.

• Like 1