Menu

Admit it. This is the sexiest thing you've ever seen.

Drama Llama

He makes a lot of simple but very flavorful noodle dishes with tofu and vegetables. I don't always have all the ingredients, but the dishes are very flexible and there are so many flavors that even if you have to leave something out it still works great. He uses a lot of oyster mushrooms, which I rarely have, so I usually sub shiitake, I'll use ginger instead of galangal, etc. And I don't always make the tofu the way he does, because I prefer it crispy and sometimes he just sautées thin slices.

He turned me on to the idea of frying extra firm tofu crumbled really finely, which has worked great with my kids who claim to not like tofu, because you can't even tell it's tofu, it just seems like part of the sauce, like in these Garlic Chili Noodles. My won't-eat-tofu daughter loves it, and Trader Joe's now carries that type of knife-cut noodles. I usually add extra veggies. Chow Fun is another quick and easy noodle dish. I really want to make this Jajangmyeon, but I need to order the blackbean paste.

I also just like watching his videos, they're beautifully photographed and super relaxing, and I often get inspired to make something similar but simpler for dinner that night, using whatever I have on hand.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

He makes a lot of simple but very flavorful noodle dishes with tofu and vegetables. I don't always have all the ingredients, but the dishes are very flexible and there are so many flavors that even if you have to leave something out it still works great. He uses a lot of oyster mushrooms, which I rarely have, so I usually sub shiitake, I'll use ginger instead of galangal, etc. And I don't always make the tofu the way he does, because I prefer it crispy and sometimes he just sautées thin slices.

He turned me on to the idea of frying extra firm tofu crumbled really finely, which has worked great with my kids who claim to not like tofu, because you can't even tell it's tofu, it just seems like part of the sauce, like in these Garlic Chili Noodles. My won't-eat-tofu daughter loves it, and Trader Joe's now carries that type of knife-cut noodles. I usually add extra veggies. Chow Fun is another quick and easy noodle dish. I really want to make this Jajangmyeon, but I need to order the blackbean paste.

I also just like watching his videos, they're beautifully photographed and super relaxing, and I often get inspired to make something similar but simpler for dinner that night, using whatever I have on hand.

Thanks! I had not heard of him but we have been on a Korean foods kick for some time now. Excited to try some of his recipes. 

47 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

. He uses a lot of oyster mushrooms, which I rarely have, so I usually sub shiitake, I'll use ginger instead of galangal, etc.

I really want to make this Jajangmyeon, but I need to order the blackbean paste.

31 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Thanks! I had not heard of him but we have been on a Korean foods kick for some time now. Excited to try some of his recipes. 

Korean supermarkets are usually cheaper than chinese supermarkets for oyster mushrooms. Korean supermarkets also have more variety of mushrooms in general than the chinese ones.

Jajangmyeon is available at korean supermarkets since its a Korean sauce/seasoning. Many brands to pick from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Korean supermarkets are usually cheaper than chinese supermarkets for oyster mushrooms. Korean supermarkets also have more variety of mushrooms in general than the chinese ones.

Jajangmyeon is available at korean supermarkets since its a Korean sauce/seasoning. Many brands to pick from.

We do a lot of shopping at the Asian markets in our town though here they aren’t usually ethnicity specific. There’s only 2-3 in my city to choose from.

But people! It’s spring! Oyster mushrooms are very common. But you can sub in others.  And it’s spring!! Perfect mushroom season. Go out the morning after it rains and see what you see! My foraging variety from yesterday!

D79B8C6E-8249-4A15-813A-8D355132F272.jpeg

97CD5E9E-1D14-43C5-87CE-63F52CFF09F5.jpeg

ED138A37-D7F5-407C-B81A-141DDE0AA493.jpeg

9FAEA5FB-7B44-42C8-9DD2-EC9B03B9836B.jpeg

5F47ECAA-5737-4D43-935A-D1C11738C7E9.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

We do a lot of shopping at the Asian markets in our town though here they aren’t usually ethnicity specific. There’s only 2-3 in my city to choose from.

But people! It’s spring! Oyster mushrooms are very common. But you can sub in others.  And it’s spring!! Perfect mushroom season. Go out the morning after it rains and see what you see! My foraging variety from yesterday!

D79B8C6E-8249-4A15-813A-8D355132F272.jpeg

97CD5E9E-1D14-43C5-87CE-63F52CFF09F5.jpeg

ED138A37-D7F5-407C-B81A-141DDE0AA493.jpeg

9FAEA5FB-7B44-42C8-9DD2-EC9B03B9836B.jpeg

5F47ECAA-5737-4D43-935A-D1C11738C7E9.jpeg

NICE!

7 hours ago, BandH said:

I don't think we ever see him below the waist, so feel free to imagine a kilt!

lol  Well, his soup looks absolutely delicious, and yes, he is kinda cute---but I am a married woman, lol.  We don't have too many specialty markets in my area; maybe if I watch more closely, I can figure out a way to improvise.  

16 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

lol  Well, his soup looks absolutely delicious, and yes, he is kinda cute---but I am a married woman, lol.  We don't have too many specialty markets in my area; maybe if I watch more closely, I can figure out a way to improvise.  

Or order online. It’s nuts the stuff you can order online these days. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, Corraleno said:

I really want to make this Jajangmyeon, but I need to order the blackbean paste.

Just coming back to say that I've now made this a couple of times for DD, who's had this dish several times in Korean restaurants, and she said this was really good and "tastes just like the real thing." She is usually a very light/picky eater and she ate a huge bowl of this and went back for seconds, so I take that as a thumbs up. I added more veg, as well as a little vegan oyster sauce and some Thai sweet chili sauce. Really quick, easy, and tasty (although very high in sodium!).

I'll paste the recipe below with the things I changed, but if you want to make this be sure to watch the video in the link.

Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
small piece ginger
2-3 sticks green onion
1/4 zucchini (I used about a 1/2)
1 king oyster mushroom (I used half a pack of shiitake mushrooms)
100g extra firm tofu (I used about half that because DD doesn't really like tofu)
60g nappa cabbage (I used bok choi)
(I also added a diced red pepper and about a cup of broccoli slaw)
1/4 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
2+1 tbsp chili oil (I used 1/2 & 1/2 avocado and chili oil to tone down the spice)
2-3 tbsp black bean paste (I used 2, it's very salty)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce (Note: TEAspoons! I almost added 2 tbsp by mistake)
(I also added a little vegan oyster sauce and some Thai sweet chili sauce)
1/4 cup pasta water
250g udon noodles (I used 2 packs of TJ's "knife-cut style" noodles)
1 tsp white sesame seeds

Directions:
1. Finely chop the garlic, onion, ginger, and green onion
2. Dice the zucchini, king oyster mushroom, and extra firm tofu into small cubes. Finely chop the nappa cabbage and thinly slice the cucumber into matchsticks
3. Bring a pot of water to boil for the noodles
4. Heat up a nonstick pan to medium heat. Add 2 tbsp chili oil followed by the garlic, onions, and ginger. Sauté for a few minutes
5. Add the tofu and sauté for another few minutes. Then, create a well in the middle of the pan. Add another tbsp of chili oil (I used avocado oil), followed by the black bean paste. Sauté the paste for 2-3 min (this is important to cook the bitterness out of the paste.)
6. Add the zucchini and mushrooms, sauté for a few minutes, then add the nappa cabbage (I just stir-fried the zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and broccoli slaw with the garlic and onions, and just added the bok choi at this point). Add the soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
7. Boil the noodles for a little less than the time recommended on the package. 
8. Transfer 1/4 cup of cooking water into the pan, then drain the noodles and add to the pan. Stir for a few minutes until the black bean sauce becomes thick and glossy. 
9. Add the green onions, turn off the heat, and give it a stir. Plate and garnish with sesame seeds and cucumbers.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, BandH said:

Just to be clear in case someone is worried it’s NSFW this is a video of a fully clothed gentleman making soup.  I am admiring his knife skills not his body parts.

I am sure that is a euphemism.  😂

• Haha 4