Menu

Help me think of a fancy cookie or bar

Drama Llama

My oldest is going on another golf trip, with the same family as last year. 

Last year, I finally settled on sending a box of homemade macarons, and it was very well received.

So, youngest and I want to make something for him to take this year.  They have a long drive, so I'm thinking of this as "car snacks", which rules out most of the things we like to bake.   Macarons were perfect because they seem fancy but they are relatively easy and neat to eat in a moving car.

What should I make this year that's in the same vein?

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The coconut in the alfajores tends to be a mess, fwiw. The flakes fall everywhere.

I have only made them without.  I know it's not traditional, but I don't really like the texture of coconut. 

But if the point is "around the world" maybe that would be bad. 

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh lived in Argentina for a while. They aren’t alfajores to him if they don’t have coconut. 😂🤷‍♀️(I have a coconut allergy so I always have to send him to a bakery when he craves them.)

Make whatever you like. I am sure they will be happy to eat yummy things.

Cookies aren't really either of our thing to make.  I haven't baked in a long time, because I have Baby Chef.  And Baby Chef has been on a cake kick for a while.  But I think cake and teenage boys, and the backseat of a clean car is a bad idea.  

• Haha 1

I just pulled pumpkin cake doughnuts out of the oven. If he’s into cakes, are doughnuts close enough? 

A posher version of doughnut would be a brioche dough for the doughnut with a blueberry, basil, and bourbon glaze. https://www.food.com/amp/recipe/blueberry-bourbon-basil-glaze-532272 When I make the glaze, it’s thick enough it’s not messy beyond a simple napkin for a finger wipe when I am done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just pulled pumpkin cake doughnuts out of the oven. If he’s into cakes, are doughnuts close enough? 

A posher version of doughnut would be a brioche dough for the doughnut with a blueberry, basil, and bourbon glaze. https://www.food.com/amp/recipe/blueberry-bourbon-basil-glaze-532272 When I make the glaze, it’s thick enough it’s not messy beyond a simple napkin for a finger wipe when I am done.

He'll happily make cookies too.  I was just explaining why I didn't have a go to recipe.  

Those donuts do look good, I will think about those as an option.

2 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I would do a sweet and salty mix. Cheese straws and some sort of cookies? Or really great chocolate-dipped pretzel sticks? Chocolate could get messy, though. But car snacks make me think of more than just sweet cookies.

Oooh that could be good.  I do like cheese straws.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Lemon shortbread? You can cut them out with a ruffle edge cookie cutter and dip half of each shortbread into an icing/glaze to make them posher. 

I’d send those along with some dried cherry & chocolate chip scones. 

Do you have a recipe?  It might be nice to do something not so sweet, because adults like that, and something more sweet. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BandH said:

Do you have a recipe?  It might be nice to do something not so sweet, because adults like that, and something more sweet. 

Yup. The KAF version is also pretty good, but I like my simpler version better. It tastes richer and has a finer crumb.

2 c. all purpose flour

1 T. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. chocolate chips (or mini chocolate chips--whatever you have on hand)

1/2 c. dried cherries (we get them from Trader Joe's)

1 1/4 c. whipping cream + a bit extra

Demerara sugar for a garnish

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in cream until a soft sticky dough is formed. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough 8-10 times. Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2" thick, then cut it into 8 wedges. Place the wedges 1" apart onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Brush with an additional bit of cream, and sprinkle generously with the demerara sugar (or any coarse sugar).

Bake 425F about 15 minutes--golden but still springy to the touch.

Fwiw, this freezes well as a raw dough, and can be baked from frozen if already shaped into wedges.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well if you were feeling really fancy and wanted something Europen and breakfasty, Danish kringles require full or rough puff pastry and could be cut into bite size bars.  

This thing is amazing!  

https://www.plattertalk.com/kringle-recipe/

I have done it with very light icing (which will set) cut into wedges to take away.  There are all sorts of options, fruit fillings, etc.

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

So, I talked to chef and he will sort it tomorrow.  He says he is happy to try scones and toffee but reserves the right to make other things if they are not up to his standards.

I am predicting that whatever he tries first will not be up to his standards so he has an excuse to buy more stuff and make more stuff.  

But hey, then I get to taste it so it's not too bad!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6