Menu

No history curriculum

I'm kind of burned out on history curriculums. My kids are spread a bit too far apart to find any that works and I can't do 2 programs my older kids are doing some individual programs for highschool, but for my younger 2, (6 and 9) I'm kind of just wanting to read books. I used to do that with my older kids and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. Have you always used a history curriculum? How did it go if you didn't?

Edited by seemesew

I've mostly not used a history curriculum.  Sometimes I've done a "spine" that I read along with reading other history non-fiction and historical fiction.  But that's a lot different than using a curriculum with a schedule and lots of bits and pieces.  But I've been just as happy when I've picked out a series of non-fiction books that covered the topics/time period I want to study, and using historical fiction as well.  I think it has been just fine! Without ever taking any tests, and with writing only a couple history-related essays or papers in middle school, my two older kids that went to public school felt very well prepared for their high school history classes, and thought their freshman world history class was a cinch because they were already familiar with a majority of the material.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I have never used a history curriculum, all the way through K-12. I have always selected the books we read. 

Same. Two loved it, two did not, but all learned plenty.  Fiction, non-fiction, movies, articles, websites, historic sites, oral history, museums, traveling, songs and art, poetry - there's so much!

Editing to add: I taught US History to a group of homeschoolers with my youngest across three years.  I didn't use a curriculum, and I think it was the only "class" that any of the others had experienced without one. It was an interesting experiment for me, because what I chose to present and how I presented it was probably quite different from how their mothers might have done it.  

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1

We read through Story of the World oodles of times between grade 2 and 6.  We did BYL history for grade 1, but I gave up on following the schedule and let kiddo read at his own pace.  We also read Joy Hakim's history of science books and just finished her US History books, (DS14 read through the entire set in 5 months). I will probably have him read Howard Zinn next. 

He also read all the Horrible Histories books and the David Macaulay books (Pyramid, Cathedral, Roman City).  Probably a bunch of other things that I'm forgetting, too!

Haven't done much in the way of formal curriculum for history.  

ETA: We started Guest Hollow US History year 1 because DS14 was wanting something more independent/workbook/get 'er done. 

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 2

I've made my own.  We were burned by too many that had "blue jello" projects, what we call activities that use specific supplies and do not aid learning in any way because the project is just tangentially connected to the subject.

Our last year at home (6th) I created a reading schedule built around 3 spines, a literature book each week that I thought my kid would enjoy, and critical thinking questions/science/math pulled into it.  It fit my kid perfectly, where something premade would not have.

• Like 3

I made my own for the middle grade world history, and am starting my second pass through it (my kids are exactly 4 years apart 😅). I use a big Smithsonian world history as a spine, and get tons from the library.

We use every level of book from picture books to Bob Woodward's bestseller on Nixon (dd got a lot out of that one at 13-14, and is a big fan of Woodward now). Picture books can be extremely well done, and can sometimes crack the doors open on a big idea better than a chunky text. I try to find a few picture books, a middle grade non-fiction summary text, and a documentary or biography pertaining to each subject. Sometimes I throw in a movie (Thirteen Days for the Cuban Missile Crisis, for example). The kids mature a lot from 10 to 13, and can handle more mature content as we move toward the modern era.

Our library has been quite good to us, and I only buy a quarter of what we use (and almost all used, cheap).

We do projects that appeal to me, based on what we're reading. We just finished our mummified Cornish game hen (SO COOL), but I'm not doing blue jello anything.

And, we're very lucky to live where we can take amazing history field trips. We studied ancient humans and then went to the Smithsonian natural history to look at the fossilized hominid skeletons, for example. 

If I bought a plan it might take less time, but I'd still have to adapt it when I couldn't find the recommended book or something.  I'm having a lot of fun doing middle grades history this way!

• Like 1

We just did reading for history, with the occasional writing assignment based on what was important and/or interesting.  Those writing assignments were considered to be English though.

My kids both got an excellent history education.  In the process we had fun, and they both continue to be interested in history as adults.  That's a win in my book!

I think the WTM focus on memorization and output for history, especially in K-8, is ridiculous.  

• Like 2

We used SOTW as a spine when the kids were younger, but didn’t necessarily try to follow it as a “curriculum.” I did appreciate the map work in the Activity book - my kids learned lots of geography in a painless way through those maps.  We used the SOTW topics as a jumping off point to do further reading. 

Once each kid completed one pass through SOTW, I moved to more topically based history. I choose books related to a time period or topic of interest. 

We also read through Hakim’s History of US. It was very casual - read and give a brief oral narration. We didn’t like the writing style, but it gave the kids a great overview of American History, and piqued their interest so that they sought out independent reading on lots of stuff they had read about in Hakim.

For your younger two, I would definitely just read books! That period of cuddling on the couch reading together passes so quickly!

• Like 2

I like some curriculum because otherwise I would try to do too much history, and I like it more balanced.  I don’t like to grab 100 books on a topic anymore, that was super stressful.  I’m enjoying the more Charlotte Mason method of fewer books read slowly.  History doesn’t need to consume the school day.  My husband never understood why we studied so much history instead of reading plain old literature.  Also reading so much (both aloud and independently) cuts away from other activities I find worthwhile. 

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:50 PM, 8filltheheart said:

I have never used a history curriculum, all the way through K-12. I have always selected the books we read. 

I've always loved that about you! I never used one myself as a homeschooler and have felt I knew more than my peers on surface history! but somewhere I started one with my kids and just have gone with it all these years , now I'm tired of it.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, kirstenhill said:

I've mostly not used a history curriculum.  Sometimes I've done a "spine" that I read along with reading other history non-fiction and historical fiction.  But that's a lot different than using a curriculum with a schedule and lots of bits and pieces.  But I've been just as happy when I've picked out a series of non-fiction books that covered the topics/time period I want to study, and using historical fiction as well.  I think it has been just fine! Without ever taking any tests, and with writing only a couple history-related essays or papers in middle school, my two older kids that went to public school felt very well prepared for their high school history classes, and thought their freshman world history class was a cinch because they were already familiar with a majority of the material.

this is definitely what I'm leaning towards. I'm just not seeing the value in doing a curriculum when they have so many interests they'd rather learn about that week! But I do like the idea of a spine so I can find ideas of topics they may like that we haven't learned yet. 

Edited by seemesew

On 2/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, seemesew said:

I'm kind of burned out on history curriculums. My kids are spread a bit too far apart to find any that works and I can't do 2 programs my older kids are doing some individual programs for highschool, but for my younger 2, (6 and 9) I'm kind of just wanting to read books. I used to do that with my older kids and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. Have you always used a history curriculum? How did it go if you didn't?

We don't use a published program, instead we do a lot of "read-draw-write" from regular bookss.

Before we make an effort for the kids to learn history though, we teach Geography systematically first. We take the time to put a strong visual map in their minds.

Start with the continents, oceans, mountains, deserts, rivers, etc. The physical geography and geographic regions. Then they learn the countries of the world geographically and once they've done the whole world, we go back and do each continent by region again. We mention "there used to be a country called, such and such here" and things like that.

After a strong geography base, we do world history from this book and fold in lots of other library books.

It seems' to be working very well.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 6:00 AM, HomeAgain said:

I've made my own.  We were burned by too many that had "blue jello" projects, what we call activities that use specific supplies and do not aid learning in any way because the project is just tangentially connected to the subject.

Our last year at home (6th) I created a reading schedule built around 3 spines, a literature book each week that I thought my kid would enjoy, and critical thinking questions/science/math pulled into it.  It fit my kid perfectly, where something premade would not have.

Which spines did you use, and where did you find the titles you added to them?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Malam said:

The spines were:

• Human Odyssey (K12)
  • Story of Science (Hakim)
  • Outrageous Women of ....(Leon)

I pulled everything else from my shelf.  I had acquired a good bit of literature from oldest ds.  At the same age, we used Creek Edge Press's task cards which do similar.  Each card gives a topic and suggested activities.  You pick the books you want to use. For him, I picked out a chapter book for each card and I think we ended up with about 20-25 of them that he loved (and I kept).  Youngest ds moved slightly differently, so rather than do the card activities I matched things to the spines. I wrote out a list of chapters in HO, organized some of books with them, and bounced around Outrageous Women because it's organized by region, not strictly time period. We used Hakim's book to springboard into scientific activities that would add depth to the history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malam said:

I don't use a spine, but finding excellent books on specific topics is fairly easy research.   Last yr we spent the yr reading through books like Nothing to Envy and Eat the Buddha.  It was a great yr and we learned in a way that was memorable.  We used those books as springing off pts for greater research.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, seemesew said:

Well, actually, "curriculum" is not that stack of books there that you use to teach; it's the content of what you would like to teach. So, your curriculum would be history (American history? world history? specific time period? etc.) and you would be using *trade books* to teach. 🙂

We most did trade books until my dc were older, and then we did KONOS for two years. We just sort of followed our noses.

• Like 1

I take it on a year by year basis. My 6th and 9th graders are both doing mama-made history this year. We've read piles of books and watched plenty of documentaries. I wouldn't have minded purchasing a curriculum for them but we were disappointed with the available options. 🤷‍♀️

Last year they both followed purchased curricula, one for a geography year and one for US history. We'll narrow down next year when it's time. At this point I think the younger one will likely have a hybrid of BYL and mom's diy. The older one will get a purchased US history (Oh Freedom volume 2), which is piles of books. 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ellie said:

Well, actually, "curriculum" is not that stack of books there that you use to teach; it's the content of what you would like to teach. So, your curriculum would be history (American history? world history? specific time period? etc.) and you would be using *trade books* to teach. 🙂

We most did trade books until my dc were older, and then we did KONOS for two years. We just sort of followed our noses.

What are trade books?

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 10:45 PM, Lovinglife123 said:

I’m feeling burned out by history and science curriculum.  Kind of want to let go and see what happens lol maybe they’ll play piano more.  

I'm feeling burned out on everything. I feel like the world is changing so rapidly and I have no idea how to prepare my teen for what's out there.  I just want to bake, garden, and sew. Basically, just stick my head in the sand for awhile. 😟

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I'm feeling burned out on everything. I feel like the world is changing so rapidly and I have no idea how to prepare my teen for what's out there.  I just want to bake, garden, and sew. Basically, just stick my head in the sand for awhile. 😟

I think you’ve just perfectly described the reason for the sudden rise in “homemaking” and “homesteading” influencers. It’s a beautiful comfort in a crazy world. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GoodnightMoogle said:

I think you’ve just perfectly described the reason for the sudden rise in “homemaking” and “homesteading” influencers. It’s a beautiful comfort in a crazy world. 

I feel like "homemaking" and "homesteading" are concrete things I can understand. I know so, so many people who have jobs where I am like, I'm sorry?   You do what exactly? 

Their titles are always something like "Senior Cyber Analyst of Esoteric Configuration and Nano Block Chain AI Security".  And I can't get my head around it. It feels very much like the emperor has no clothes to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2