Menu

What is this?

saraha

2 hours ago, GailV said:

Probably a bookshelf.   adjustable bookshelf

The carving looks so much like things we got in India in the 70s

Edited to add: Wowza, I just noticed that person was trying to sell for $98. Probably originally purchased for $5 or less

And that's "on sale" — it was originally priced at $190! I love that she listed the style as "Mid-Century Modern," lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

How can you tell? I know absolutely nothing about old things, wood things, things in general

Color, grain and smell. My aunts love rosewood coffee tables and chairs but they prefer a darker and redder shade of rosewood. 
I would be guilty of flipping the bookshelf and using it as an ornamental stand to display my trinkets. 

• Like 1

My other goodwill find. It has a burned stamp on the bottom that says hand made by Jack Heeter . I live as far south in Ohio as you can get, but am originally from Michigan, so it had to come home too. 

81044511-7F17-48F1-AE78-3FF877504F25.jpeg

6AD69C21-2F41-42F2-A812-48CA489134F1.jpeg

Edited by saraha
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, saraha said:

@GailVHow did you find that?!?

I thought it was a bookshelf, so I googled something like "hinged bookshelf" and looked through images. I've probably seen one before have some unconscious memory of it.

We have some really odd carved stuff from India, so it absolutely doesn't strike me as unusual that it's hinged and that the design can't be seen if it has books on it. We also have various hand-embroidered items that are just as neat, tidy, and lovely on the reverse side that no one sees as they are on the front. Sometimes it's fun to have beautiful things that are hidden from public view.

• Like 1