Menu

Welp. DH and I are living separately again.

Not_a_Number

I think it’s fair enough that he came home once, but I think going forward you need to be strong with thinking what you need and want.  It’s just a lot better to minimize moving in and out.  

I think it’s different if you think it is a realistic thing and it doesn’t work out.

But for a time when it seems like the prior problems weren’t addressed and he moved back in, it seems like it’s not something to do again.

I hope your husband is thinking that way, too.  

I also think if he chooses to go to therapy or try medication etc then I think you should just be supportive of him doing that.  If neither of you are interested I think that is fair, too.  

Have you read The Body Keeps the Score?  I got a lot out of it.  It would not have been on my radar as something applicable — it was recommended to my husband, though.  I re-read it recently a year or so later and got totally different things from it the second time around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I think it’s fair enough that he came home once, but I think going forward you need to be strong with thinking what you need and want.  It’s just a lot better to minimize moving in and out.

Don't I know it. I really, really didn't want to do this a second time. In fact, I thought I wouldn't be able to, that it'd be too hard on the kids. But here we are, and this still seems like the best of all the possible cruddy options. 

He was in a very different place last time, though -- he had been stonewalling and not admitting we had any problems at all our whole marriage. Last time was a wake-up call, but he couldn't keep it up. He just wasn't in the right place mentally -- he was appalled at himself and how he behaved and full of shame and this just wasn't compatible with living our normal life... he just couldn't hack it. 

I could have just divorced him then, of course. I thought about it. But at the end of the day, it didn't feel right, given what a bad place he was in, and given that he'd only been able to look at our issues honestly for 3 months. I thought this all deserved more of a chance than that. 

I think it’s different if you think it is a realistic thing and it doesn’t work out.

But for a time when it seems like the prior problems weren’t addressed and he moved back in, it seems like it’s not something to do again.

I hope your husband is thinking that way, too.  

He is. He's just in a different place than a year ago. 

I also think if he chooses to go to therapy or try medication etc then I think you should just be supportive of him doing that.  If neither of you are interested I think that is fair, too.

This is a hard one. He has historically been most interested in therapy/medication when he's least willing to do the work. It's what he suggests when he doesn't want to make a real effort and wants to be "doing things" for show. (This is a pattern that has been present in our marriage in many, many areas.) I have not been supportive of that. 

I will absolutely be supportive if that's what he decides now that he's in a better state. 

Have you read The Body Keeps the Score?  I got a lot out of it.  It would not have been on my radar as something applicable — it was recommended to my husband, though.  I re-read it recently a year or so later and got totally different things from it the second time around. 

No, but I probably should. From what I've heard, it's applicable. Thank you for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

I am very in favor of giving marriages a chance. 

Edit:  I don’t think there’s any reason not to try.  

But I think it would be better to live apart longer than to move back too soon now that he has had one time in and out.  

I don’t think it something where you haven’t handled things well so far, just some things once you try them once and it doesn’t work, it’s better not to do again, but that can be hard when it’s also something that was a choice that made sense once before.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

Yes; a family member. Married ~ 4 or 5 years, did not think she could continue on that road, may have moved out for a period of time. Counseling helped but probably what helped most was the guy said he would not continue indefinitely in limbo; he deserved someone who would return the love he felt he gave. 

They have now been married more than twenty years. 

• Like 2

OP, I can't think of any stories of the type you are asking for. However, I am hoping to be one. We are struggling here, too, although we haven't separated. 

I will say that for me, I do hope to improve things and end up with healthy, happy marriage with DH. It's going to take a lot of reflection, change, time, and effort for both of us. 

Anyway, just wanted to commiserate with you.  I wish the best for you as you navigate this difficult path.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, barnwife said:

OP, I can't think of any stories of the type you are asking for. However, I am hoping to be one. We are struggling here, too, although we haven't separated. 

I will say that for me, I do hope to improve things and end up with healthy, happy marriage with DH. It's going to take a lot of reflection, change, time, and effort for both of us. 

Anyway, just wanted to commiserate with you.  I wish the best for you as you navigate this difficult path.

Same to you. It's not a place anyone wants to be 😕 . 

I do have an aunt and uncle who got a divorce and then after a year or two remarried and have stayed remarried for more than ten years now. I don’t know all of the story. I suspect that there were issues caused by PTSD he had/has from his job. 

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m so sorry your family is going through this. I know of two couples who spent time apart - both came back together. One couple needed space to process trauma individually. I wish you each peace as you walk through this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pastor of our church went through this many years ago.  Their marriage had become so broken over the years, that when they finally went to counseling, even the Christian counselor advised them to divorce!  It wasn't what they wanted to hear, so they stubbornly went to five more.  Finally the sixth one agreed to work with them.  Our pastor had suffered physical and mental abuse as a child and has ADHD.  He is a brilliant person and I think that was also an obstacle, in a way.  Through sheer determination they worked through layers of issues.  (Our pastor admits that most of the issues were his.)  That was 20 years ago, and they are a really lovely couple and so happy together.   He can barely talk about her without tearing up because he is so grateful and loves her so much.  

I think key here was their determination to make it work and their willingness to actually do the work and change.   

I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish the very best for you!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, J-rap said:

The pastor of our church went through this many years ago.  Their marriage had become so broken over the years, that when they finally went to counseling, even the Christian counselor advised them to divorce!  It wasn't what they wanted to hear, so they stubbornly went to five more.  Finally the sixth one agreed to work with them.  Our pastor had suffered physical and mental abuse as a child and has ADHD.  He is a brilliant person and I think that was also an obstacle, in a way.  Through sheer determination they worked through layers of issues.  (Our pastor admits that most of the issues were his.)  That was 20 years ago, and they are a really lovely couple and so happy together.   He can barely talk about her without tearing up because he is so grateful and loves her so much.  

I think key here was their determination to make it work and their willingness to actually do the work and change.   

I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish the very best for you!

That's really inspiring. Yeah, DH is also brilliant, and it also kind of gets in the way. Do you know how it made things harder for your pastor? 

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

That's really inspiring. Yeah, DH is also brilliant, and it also kind of gets in the way. Do you know how it made things harder for your pastor? 

I think he just saw the world very differently as a result.  And it was harder for him to get out of his own head and see different perspectives because he was so focused on his intellectual pursuits.  

ETA:  I believe he's on the spectrum too, which adds another layer.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think he just saw the world very differently as a result.  And it was harder for him to get out of his own head and see different perspectives because he was so focused on his intellectual pursuits.  

ETA:  I believe he's on the spectrum too, which adds another layer.

Ah, yeah, spectrum issues are their own thing. DH is not on the spectrum at all despite being a math professor... he has his own issues. 

• Like 1