Menu

Snow snow go away

Acorn

2 minutes ago, Acorn said:

It’s not a good week for a Great Lakes holiday tour.  I don’t know how to decide where we should go, but I guess we are leaving sooner than later if we go anywhere at all.

I wish I had been born somewhere warm.

Me too.  Every year I want to move.  Florida is my dream place right now.

Stinks that it is happening right around all the big travel days.  My kids are super excited so there is that.  A very White Christmas this year.  Stay safe and warm everyone.

Michigander here, and in general, I absolutely love four seasons and the drop dead gorgeous beauty of this state. But dang it! 8-9" snow preceded by rain and then a temperature drop of 30° with 30-60mph winds causing white outs of zero visibility right before Christmas is a drinking' bridge too far! -13 wind chill Thursday night and Friday in our grown sons area, and we will see -5. I worry because both regions have a HIGH percentage of low income families and poverty. Many folks cannot afford the kind of winter gear that makes those temps not dangerous. This year the coats and boots at the thrift stores were wretched pieces of junk that weren't water proof, and only had thin poly fiberfil. Mittens were nothing more than dollar store knit gloves. I really hope people stay home. Just don't go out. We have LLBean, Columbia, and Carhart here, and it can still be uncomfortable being out when the wind chill gets below zero plus those wind speeds. My coat lane rated as low as Mark's and I can get dangerously cold in less than 45 minutes. My old coat for winter rocketry which kept me warm no matter the snowmaggedon gave up the ghost a couple years ago. I should probably replace it.

• Like 2

@Faith-manor I am on the west coast of Michigan and we are facing 2 feet of snow and blizzard conditions Friday to Saturday.   Rethinking a lot of our plans.

Yes, affording proper warm and dry winter gear is a huge challenge for many families. My friends church buys all of the head start preschoolers in her rural northern Michigan area warm coats, boots and snow pants each year.

Update:   Some models are now showing up to 48” of snow by Sunday morning for my area.   Makes 24” seem like a dusting.   Maybe the high winds will blow it all to the east side of the state……or maybe they are wrong.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You all who live in winter wonderlands are so lucky.

It is going to be 80 here in Los Angeles on Christmas.

What a rook.

Bill

Here's some winter wonderland for you. I took the photo from inside my house since the current "feels like" temperature is -42c or -43.6f. 

ETA: The cold does make pretty designs on the glass. 

4EB0CF18-8ECC-46AD-BC13-3B1F55D54103.jpeg

68497A45-9180-445C-9E47-C107C8405357.jpeg

388B9A89-6BB0-4C53-A724-370CAE4E7734.jpeg

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So you know precisely how boring that can be. *Sigh*

How are you able to resist making snow-angels off your back porch? So tempting.

I do know. It was depressingly boring, IMO.

Re: snow angels... do you see that higher part of the snow in the center if the deck? That is the sledding mound - DH has built a sled track from the center of the deck, down the stairs and it ends back by those trees. 😂 We call it the luge track. 😂

It's hard to tell from the photo, so I'll try to find a photo from the other side that shows the stairs so you can get a better idea of the track.

Found a video and took a screenshot of the beginning stages. It has been built up and extended out since then. It's bitterly cold right now, so it hasn't been groomed since the last snowfall, yet.

6E5064EA-A5CE-4647-8E9A-F6F612FA249D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I do know. It was depressingly boring, IMO.

Re: snow angels... do you see that higher part of the snow in the center if the deck? That is the sledding mound - DH has built a sled track from the center of the deck, down the stairs and it ends back by those trees. 😂 We call it the luge track. 😂

It's hard to tell from the photo, so I'll try to find a photo from the other side that shows the stairs so you can get a better idea of the track.

Found a video and took a screenshot of the beginning stages. It has been built up and extended out since then. It's bitterly cold right now, so it hasn't been groomed since the last snowfall, yet.

6E5064EA-A5CE-4647-8E9A-F6F612FA249D.jpeg

Nice!

My son would be cold, but he'd be so happy.

A backyard luge track would be epic!

Bill

• Like 2

We are expecting about 10" so when it stops and Mark can snowblow his mom's driveway (after the road is plowed), we are going to play with the sled on her little hill in the back yard. 54 and 58 years old, and sledding. Empty nesting might be causing us to regress! 😂😂😂

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 5

Our school where I work has cancelled classes for Friday and turned tomorrow into a half day as we are now under a blizzard warning.   1-3 ft of snow expected with 55mph winds is going to make for terrible blowing and drifting.

i have 3 that have to work Friday and Saturday but 2 live across the road from work and I am making my son spend the night there tomorrow night too just so they can get to work

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Our school where I work has cancelled classes for Friday and turned tomorrow into a half day as we are now under a blizzard warning.   1-3 ft of snow expected with 55mph winds is going to make for terrible blowing and drifting.

i have 3 that have to work Friday and Saturday but 2 live across the road from work and I am making my son spend the night there tomorrow night too just so they can get to work

I hope all of you stay safe! 

West Michigan here, too. My school changed to a half day and bumped the last final exam to after break, which is tough on the students but understandable from a safety perspective. Tomorrow's trash pickup already cancelled in advance and my son's caregiver also cancelled due to weather. So far the actual weather has been underwhelming but that could change overnight. The weather reports say that tomorrow will be the worst day here.

• Like 1

Still rain here in middle TN, but it is snow an hour north of us and supposed to turn to snow/ice here within the hour. I think we are gonna be iced in for the weekend. As long as the power stays on and no pipes freeze, that is ok with me. 

eta: Windy and the precip is frozen now. Temperature dropped 16 degrees in less than 30 minutes.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

We have lovely, gentle flurries right now that will be turning into a driving rain apparently overnight with winds over 30 mph and possible gusts over 60 mph. Followed by a flash freeze down to the single digits. It sounds most unpleasant and I am hoping we don't lose power because it's going to be cold!! 

• Sad 5

24” or 48”? I can’t imagine! How long does that impact, like days until roads are clear?
Wicked cold tonight, currently -43 but we didn’t get nearly the snow expected, only about 4”. It will be brief. Next weekend’s forecast is nearly 40! Then it will be sledding weather! 😉

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, Starr said:

We made all our connections , long layovers, packed planes and pray we get to Newfoundland tonight! It will be warmer there than most of the country. Lol I don’t miss paying for oil when the temperatures drop in our former home. 

Well not for trying to get out it’s Toronto for Christmas. I’m exhausted from all the calls, texting, waiting trying to find a flight out. 

• Sad 4