Menu

I want to win a chess game against one of my sons so badly.

Indigo Blue

Yeah. I guess it is. It’s not fair, though. You know that, right? It’s not fair. 😬

We discovered last Christmas he has a hidden talent…..Bananagrams. Good grief. He’s a wizard. My older son was unable to beat him. He just sees the most complex words and…boom…he’s done. It was bought as part of a gag gift last year from him to older son. We couldn’t stop playing. 

I just want Magnus to walk into my living room and help me. (We are playing online). I could pay him in a mountain of saltwater taffy ds brought back from the coast. 

• Like 1

My daughter is in a chess club and she must be improving because earlier in the year she excitedly told me she made Phone Guy put down his phone! This guy usually kicks everybody's butt without even having to look. A few weeks back it was "I BEAT PHONE GUY!!"

Chess is too much work for something that's supposed to be recreational. lol

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My daughter is in a chess club and she must be improving because earlier in the year she excitedly told me she made Phone Guy put down his phone! This guy usually kicks everybody's butt without even having to look. A few weeks back it was "I BEAT PHONE GUY!!"

Chess is too much work for something that's supposed to be recreational. lol

That’s awesome, Rosie! How dare he stare at his phone 🥱 as if to say your daughter is no challenge!  That’ll teach him, lol. Yep. You put that phone down, Phone Guy, because you’re goin’ down! 😵

Good for her. 

Yes, chess exhausts me, and I never have a darn thing to show for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband has taken to watching lots of chess strategy videos on YouTube to keep up with DS11.   They are neck-in-neck in their improvement, but this is with DS11 not studying at all.  He is just naturally improving as he gets older while DH has to really work at it! DH always beat him when DS was younger, then DS11 surged ahead and won most of the time.  It's fun to watch, but I don't really play at all...I just have a basic understanding of the rules.

• Like 1

Just now, kirstenhill said:

My husband has taken to watching lots of chess strategy videos on YouTube to keep up with DS11.   They are neck-in-neck in their improvement, but this is with DS11 not studying at all.  He is just naturally improving as he gets older while DH has to really work at it! DH always beat him when DS was younger, then DS11 surged ahead and won most of the time.  It's fun to watch, but I don't really play at all...I just have a basic understanding of the rules.

Oh, wow. I bet won’t be long before your son greatly improves and then….your poor Dh! 

• Like 1

when sil was dating her husband - they would play chess over the phone (while they were at work).
sil started calling dh and asking him what her next move should be - so, sil's future husband wasn't really playing her, he was playing dh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

when sil was dating her husband - they would play chess over the phone (while they were at work).
sil started calling dh and asking him what her next move should be - so, sil's future husband wasn't really playing her, he was playing dh.

That’s what I want to happen here. I want Magnus to walk in, and unbeknownst to ds, make my moves. And watch him beat ds with the few paltry pieces I have left. 😁

I have learned that ds always goes for those knights. He now has both of them. 

• Like 2

I have never played chess in my life. Don't even know the rules. I wish I had a chess brain. But one of my sisters always beat me at checkers and Chinese checkers, and I figured if I couldn't even win at checkers, there was no way I could have a chance at chess.

• Like 1

I can still occasionally beat one of my girls, but the other 2 left me in the dust a while ago. Middle DD went to All-Girls Nationals a couple of times although she doesn't play too much now due to POTS brain fog. Youngest picked it up from the older two girls, and she used to wipe the boards in the K-2 and then the 3-5 divisions when she was little. 

• Like 2

This is my DD. I don't have a head for chess anyways. My whole family has tried to work with me but it's fruitless. So my DD asks to play me for an easy win. She started to beat my DH a year ago or so. She started a chess club last year at school. When the kids (and our bonus kids) get together chess is always a popular time filler. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, KungFuPanda said:

You haven’t lived until you force someone who knows how to play chess to play No Stress Chess. It makes them insane. Sometimes they lose. It’s hysterical. 

Or take a die hard chess player and force them to play other combinatorial games and watch them go insane. Great fun.

There is a division in the community between those who love chess and those who love all the combinatorial games. Chess players look down at the other side and refuse to play, often citing the claim that chess is superior. The other side laughs as chess players get roasted whenever they are goaded into playing, which isn't often since they almost always end up losing quickly.

For those wondering the difference is that those who play a variety of combinatorial games learn to think and strategize in many more ways which is a huge benefit when playing a new to them combinatorial game. Another difference is devotion. Chess boards and pieces are a dime a dozen. I cannot get boards for some of the games I play, I either have to make them or I would have to go on a trip to parts of the world that are not so easy to reach. Rules are hard to get in English and often there are differences from village to village. Good luck getting a strategy book. You want to know about openings, you either write a computer program, or you work them out on your own and take notes, or you get lucky enough to find someone who already has and is willing to share. Thankfully it is easier to find people to share and play against with the internet. In a non covid world where I was rich I would be staying in remote villages learning from elders and taking notes to publish on a website that almost no one would visit or maybe a book that no one would buy.