Menu

NYC in December? Update I ❤️ NYC

MEmama

We're going back and forth on a potential trip to NYC in early-mid December. We desperately need a getaway, can fly there relatively inexpensively, have a couple free hotel nights that need to be used by the end of the year and just really need some cheer and togetherness after a tough year. We're still Covid conscious, though we recently had cocktails out for a celebration and took a couple maskless liberties on a trip to Ireland and Iceland last month. But every.time I start to feel okay about a long weekend in the city I read about how desperately sick everyone is, and I want to back out. Idk what I’m asking, it feels like either we go and probably get sick with something, or we stay home and I fall into a deeper depression. Ugh. This year *sucks*.

So. If we go…what should we not miss? We probably won’t go to anything on Broadway, but the Christmas markets look like something we would enjoy and of course we want to see sparkly festive lights. Outdoor stuff is good, we're used to cold. We're generally okay with some indoor stuff since we still mask, though drinking and eating will have to be exceptions unless outdoor dining is still happening?

I want to be able to look forward to this for DH. Hit me with festive ideas! 

Update: We went and had a **fantastic** time. Thanks for all the suggestions; idk if we actually did any of them lol, but they helped me plan and helped make the trip happen. It was a much needed getaway and I loved every minute of it. 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

Just now, MEmama said:

We're going back and forth on a potential trip to NYC in early-mid December. We desperately need a getaway, can fly there relatively inexpensively, have a couple free hotel nights that need to be used by the end of the year and just really need some cheer and togetherness after a tough year. We're still Covid conscious, though we recently had cocktails out for a celebration and took a couple maskless liberties on a trip to Ireland and Iceland last month. But every.time I start to feel okay about a long weekend in the city I read about how desperately sick everyone is, and I want to back out. Idk what I’m asking, it feels like either we go and probably get sick with something, or we stay home and I fall into a deeper depression. Ugh. This year *sucks*.

So. If we go…what should we not miss? We probably won’t go to anything on Broadway, but the Christmas markets look like something we would enjoy and of course we want to see sparkly festive lights. Outdoor stuff is good, we're used to cold. We're generally okay with some indoor stuff since we still mask, though drinking and eating will have to be exceptions unless outdoor dining is still happening?

Maybe do the outside stuff like seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center and ice skate, Central Park, etc. or do something indoors where you can socially distance easily and probably has upgraded ventilation like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and stay away from any traveling exhibits that draw the long lines of folks waiting to see.

I am not sure about outside dining, but usually the little grocery stores in Manhatten have great deli food, so you could consider planning your meals around dashing in, picking up food, and going back to your hotel room to eat it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you have good masks, I personally would totally go to a show.  That is one place it is easy to just sit still and keep a mask on.  We returned to shows Oct 2021 and have gone at least monthly since then.  I was at 3 shows last weekend, one traveling broadway, 2 regional productions.   And true confessions, there is NO way I would have returned then had we not bought a full season's worth of shows prior to covid that were rescheduled.  It really forced my comfort level.  We were at shows last January and February in masks.

A couple strategies we use is arriving just before the time the doors open (it's been about 30 minutes prior), use the restroom prior to a crowd and get in our seat before big crowds arrive.  We try to get aisle seats and we often RUN when curtain call comes up to get out before having to stand in a crowd.  Anyway, no pressure of course.  Just thought I'd mention that we've been going non stop with high quality masks and none of have gotten sick.  I often use nasal spray after outings like this too and try to heavily hydrate those days too (not DURING of course).   I would certainly consider it less risky than the flight if you do it well because typically you can be in and out in 3 hours and don't need to remove a mask for that length of time.  

But I will say we went there in January a number of years back, brought our layers and just spent a ton of time walking around outside and looking at the sights too.  January was actually a great time to go, crowds were quite low.  

Edited by catz
  • Thanks 1

Weather should still be OK in December - it's been a rather glorious fall so far.

Central Park after the leaves fall is... suboptimal IMO (except if it's your first time). I would do the High Line and Governor's Island for views. There is a Holiday market/village/ice rink (although I haven't visited it yet). One World Conservatory is also worth it.

Re restaurants, if you are flexible time wise and OK to have early dinner, you should be able to find quiet places. 

• Thanks 1

I'd assume there's lots of outdoor dining with heat lamps! We haven't been back since October (and we caught COVID on our flight back, sigh), but the outdoor dining sheds were VERY numerous last I checked.  

If your mental health demands it, I think you should go! 

I'm still trying to figure out what my level of COVID caution is going to be in the long term, but I know that I made changes at the point that life started feeling unlivable. And you don't have to be all or nothing like me, LOL. NYC is full of stuff... I bet you can find stuff you feel good about doing!! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FreyaO said:

Weather should still be OK in December - it's been a rather glorious fall so far.

Central Park after the leaves fall is... suboptimal IMO (except if it's your first time). I would do the High Line and Governor's Island for views. There is a Holiday market/village/ice rink (although I haven't visited it yet). One World Conservatory is also worth it.

Re restaurants, if you are flexible time wise and OK to have early dinner, you should be able to find quiet places. 

Oh the High Line! Thanks for the reminder—that is something I’d enjoy. Will research the Conservatory, too, and Governors Island.

The only time I've been to NYC was in January, 15 years ago. I like starkness so I found Central Park to be beautiful 🙂 

13 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

December's not usually that cold, it's just seasonably brisk. Sometimes a bit slushy, but with climate change that's been, well, changing. January is when it's cold out!

What sort of stuff do you normally enjoy doing?

That’s a good question. I love big cities yet often gravitate toward green oases within the urban fabric, if that makes sense. I’m really drawn to the unique energy of those spaces, the quiet margins on the edges of bustling humanity. But also I love gritty areas—Hells Kitchen was my favorite neighborhood last time I was there.

We don’t tend to do a lot of touristy things (though we do make exceptions and on this trip we want some of the stereotypical Holidays In NYC vibe); I prefer to wander around interesting neighborhoods and see how people actually live. I’m always interested in classic (historic) architecture, especially when it helps tell the story of place. I’m less impressed with flashiness (Times Square) but drawn to the smaller visual details of place.

That’s probably not helpful, lol.

9 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'd assume there's lots of outdoor dining with heat lamps! We haven't been back since October (and we caught COVID on our flight back, sigh), but the outdoor dining sheds were VERY numerous last I checked.  

If your mental health demands it, I think you should go! 

I'm still trying to figure out what my level of COVID caution is going to be in the long term, but I know that I made changes at the point that life started feeling unlivable. And you don't have to be all or nothing like me, LOL. NYC is full of stuff... I bet you can find stuff you feel good about doing!! 

That’s encouraging. Our “big city” disappointingly has removed most of the extra outdoor seating options; they had created some really lovely new spaces in the historic old port. It might be that they have been taken down just for winter—regular snow removal is a big consideration here, of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

That’s a good question. I love big cities yet often gravitate toward green oases within the urban fabric, if that makes sense. I’m really drawn to the unique energy of those spaces, the quiet margins on the edges of bustling humanity. But also I love gritty areas—Hells Kitchen was my favorite neighborhood last time I was there.

We don’t tend to do a lot of touristy things (though we do make exceptions and on this trip we want some of the stereotypical Holidays In NYC vibe); I prefer to wander around interesting neighborhoods and see how people actually live. I’m always interested in classic (historic) architecture, especially when it helps tell the story of place. I’m less impressed with flashiness (Times Square) but drawn to the smaller visual details of place.

I would then suggest venturing outside of Manhattan for an afternoon. As an example, Gantry View in Long Island City is 1-2 stops from Midtown, beautiful and modern (the southern part was built to survive climate change), LIC is evolving daily with an Asian bustling community and a short ride on the 7 will get you to gritty Jackson Heights which provides the best variety of authentic (and affordable) world food in the city.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FreyaO said:

I would then suggest venturing outside of Manhattan for an afternoon. As an example, Gantry View in Long Island City is 1-2 stops from Midtown, beautiful and modern (the southern part was built to survive climate change), LIC is evolving daily with an Asian bustling community and a short ride on the 7 will get you to gritty Jackson Heights which provides the best variety of authentic (and affordable) world food in the city.

Uptown Manhattan can combines green and neighborhood experience. Fort Washington to Fort Tryon Park, Hudson Heights or across Broadway for more "gritty". 

• Thanks 1

I think I could easily fill a few days with meandering, looking at decorations, finding great food (even if it’s take-out), and maybe locating a Christmas market for a bit of shopping. I’d probably mask up and do one show. That seems more worth it and less risky than a restaurant. It would be fun to roam around and leave time to happen upon something unplanned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MEmama said:

Oooh, I'm impressed you liked Hell's Kitchen: my kids' homeschooling center is located there, so I spend lots of time in the neighborhood, but I don't enjoy it. Too busy, too dirty, too cramped. 

I really like the big parks in NYC: Central Park, of course, but also Riverside Park. And this might be my prejudice as an uptown resident, but I love the architecture of the Upper West Side. If you wanted to combine that with some museums, I do find that the areas around Central Park both have glorious buildings and also lovely museums. 

Oh, and I despise Times Square. I've been spending the last 6 months taking lots and lots of city walks (I've been needing time to think, and walks are great for that for me, especially if I listen to music), and I've found as many routes as I can from uptown to downtown that bypass Times Square and that whole area entirely. It's difficult but can be done...

Let me know if I can help you plan in any way!! I don't know the other boroughs well at all, but, as I said, I've been exploring Manhattan recently and would love to share ideas :-). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oooh, I'm impressed you liked Hell's Kitchen: my kids' homeschooling center is located there, so I spend lots of time in the neighborhood, but I don't enjoy it. Too busy, too dirty, too cramped. 

I really like the big parks in NYC: Central Park, of course, but also Riverside Park. And this might be my prejudice as an uptown resident, but I love the architecture of the Upper West Side. If you wanted to combine that with some museums, I do find that the areas around Central Park both have glorious buildings and also lovely museums. 

Oh, and I despise Times Square. I've been spending the last 6 months taking lots and lots of city walks (I've been needing time to think, and walks are great for that for me, especially if I listen to music), and I've found as many routes as I can from uptown to downtown that bypass Times Square and that whole area entirely. It's difficult but can be done...

Let me know if I can help you plan in any way!! I don't know the other boroughs well at all, but, as I said, I've been exploring Manhattan recently and would love to share ideas :-). 

Thanks! I’d love to hear specifics on streets/neighborhoods to explore and any recommendations for museums.

I'm trying to convince DH to do one of the Big Onion walking tours—those look really fun and informative.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MEmama said:

Thanks! I’d love to hear specifics on streets/neighborhoods to explore and any recommendations for museums.

I'm trying to convince DH to do one of the Big Onion walking tours—those look really fun and informative.

Well, I live on the Upper West Side, so I'm prejudiced 🙂 . But I do think that lots of the classical UWS is beautiful -- gorgeous apartment buildings. In winter, I prefer Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues to Broadway. Broadway has pretty buildings, but all the commerce at the street level is kind of an eyesore. In the summer, the trees block it, and it doesn't bother me, but in winter, I really prefer the other north-south streets. 

And of course, Central Park West right by Central Park is gorgeous. And then you're right next door to Central Park, which is just glorious. I love the "giant park in the middle of the city" thing even in the winter . . . 

In terms of museums, I'm probably not that knowledgeable. We're still pretty kid-centric with museums, which means that we most often go to the American Museum of Natural History. If you're on the west side and near AMNH, I'll recommend the historical society, though -- it's a small museum next door, and it's very cute. 

There are more cool museums on the Upper East Side, I think -- the Met and lots of other stuff. I'm afraid I haven't been to anything since the pandemic began, so I don't know what the experience is like right now. I don't find the East Side nearly as aesthetically pleasing, I have to admit... although of course one can just walk across the park! It's not that far. 

I don't know the neighborhoods further south as well, although let me see if I can share some impressions. I remember feeling like the NYU neighborhood (I think that's Greenwich Village?) was very pretty. Tribeca is very fancy-feeling and precious, but pretty. I almost uniformly loathe midtown -- busy, dirty, ugly. (That includes things like Times Square and Penn Station.) 

Oh, although I do really like the main branch of the public library and the adjacent Bryant Park! Those are cool spaces. The public library building is really grand, and last I checked, they had a very neat exhibit of some new graphic novel with awesome pictures. I've also worked in the main reading room of the public library, which is beautiful. It's just a lovely building. 

Oh, I've spent a bunch of time in the Lower East Side. It's cool but made me feel too old, LOL. Most people there felt like they were in their 20s... 

Is any of this any use?? I'm kind of rambling on here. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, MEmama said:

I've only been to NYC once, but we went Dec 7-12, in 2019, the city's busiest shopping week and corporate party week...just try to rent a large venue during that week! But I digress...

Based on that single experience, I would think Bryant Park would be a lot of fun for browsing and grazing. You could not pay me to go to Rockefeller Square now; then it was shoulder to shoulder people. Total gridlock for blocks due to the lights display in that area. I normally consider outdoors to be much safer for unmasking, but given the volume of people there in the evening, I wouldn't think it was safe at all now. 

As a general principle, over the years, we've learned to go to places at odd times to avoid things we didn't want to be part of. Maybe that general principle would work for you? Or maybe look for indoor things to do that are curated experiences...just you and the host or guide?  One final thought, depending on your propensity, a marvelous view out your hotel window can be amazingly helpful if you aren't able to go and do as much as you'd like.

And that's the complete limit of what I have to offer.  Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Union Square Park has a Christmas Market that's fun. Then there are these options. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/art/new-yorks-quirkiest-museums  You can walk through the East Village, down through China Town and to Lower Manhattan if you're energetic and the weather is cooperating. The ferry is free to Staten Island and back. It's a nice way to enjoy the skyline of the city. You really can't go wrong with any neighborhood. Just some random thoughts of things we like to do. I was an East Village girl back in the day.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well, I live on the Upper West Side, so I'm prejudiced 🙂 . But I do think that lots of the classical UWS is beautiful -- gorgeous apartment buildings. In winter, I prefer Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues to Broadway. Broadway has pretty buildings, but all the commerce at the street level is kind of an eyesore. In the summer, the trees block it, and it doesn't bother me, but in winter, I really prefer the other north-south streets. 

And of course, Central Park West right by Central Park is gorgeous. And then you're right next door to Central Park, which is just glorious. I love the "giant park in the middle of the city" thing even in the winter . . . 

In terms of museums, I'm probably not that knowledgeable. We're still pretty kid-centric with museums, which means that we most often go to the American Museum of Natural History. If you're on the west side and near AMNH, I'll recommend the historical society, though -- it's a small museum next door, and it's very cute. 

There are more cool museums on the Upper East Side, I think -- the Met and lots of other stuff. I'm afraid I haven't been to anything since the pandemic began, so I don't know what the experience is like right now. I don't find the East Side nearly as aesthetically pleasing, I have to admit... although of course one can just walk across the park! It's not that far. 

I don't know the neighborhoods further south as well, although let me see if I can share some impressions. I remember feeling like the NYU neighborhood (I think that's Greenwich Village?) was very pretty. Tribeca is very fancy-feeling and precious, but pretty. I almost uniformly loathe midtown -- busy, dirty, ugly. (That includes things like Times Square and Penn Station.) 

Oh, although I do really like the main branch of the public library and the adjacent Bryant Park! Those are cool spaces. The public library building is really grand, and last I checked, they had a very neat exhibit of some new graphic novel with awesome pictures. I've also worked in the main reading room of the public library, which is beautiful. It's just a lovely building. 

Oh, I've spent a bunch of time in the Lower East Side. It's cool but made me feel too old, LOL. Most people there felt like they were in their 20s... 

Is any of this any use?? I'm kind of rambling on here. 

Yes, very! Thank you!

7 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I've only been to NYC once, but we went Dec 7-12, in 2019, the city's busiest shopping week and corporate party week...just try to rent a large venue during that week! But I digress...

Based on that single experience, I would think Bryant Park would be a lot of fun for browsing and grazing. You could not pay me to go to Rockefeller Square now; then it was shoulder to shoulder people. Total gridlock for blocks due to the lights display in that area. I normally consider outdoors to be much safer for unmasking, but given the volume of people there in the evening, I wouldn't think it was safe at all now. 

As a general principle, over the years, we've learned to go to places at odd times to avoid things we didn't want to be part of. Maybe that general principle would work for you? Or maybe look for indoor things to do that are curated experiences...just you and the host or guide?  One final thought, depending on your propensity, a marvelous view out your hotel window can be amazingly helpful if you aren't able to go and do as much as you'd like.

And that's the complete limit of what I have to offer.  Best wishes.

Good point about crowds; I don’t mind masking outside at all, especially in winter. Rockefeller isn’t our usual kind of thing, but it feels like we shouldn’t miss the experience, if just to snap a few obligatory photos and scurry away to quieter corners, lol. I’m looking forward to the holiday market in Bryant Park.

5 hours ago, Starr said:

Union Square Park has a Christmas Market that's fun. Then there are these options. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/art/new-yorks-quirkiest-museums  You can walk through the East Village, down through China Town and to Lower Manhattan if you're energetic and the weather is cooperating. The ferry is free to Staten Island and back. It's a nice way to enjoy the skyline of the city. You really can't go wrong with any neighborhood. Just some random thoughts of things we like to do. I was an East Village girl back in the day.

Fantastic suggestions—thank you!

The ferry is free to Staten Island and back.

Also, we have the largest Sri Lankan community outside of Sri Lanka, so you can get something you can't get anywhere else - Sri Lankan food! (Well, unless you go to Sri Lanka, I guess.) Come on a weekend, take the train two stops down to Stapleton, get off, and Lakruwana is just about right there for the buffet, and they also run a small museum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to NYC mid-December too! I bought dh tickets to see a show he wanted to see. We'll see a friend, do a Christmas market, hit a museum, eat some food, then retrieve our kid in New England and take him home for the holidays. I've literally not tried to drive to NYC since I was in college, so we'll see how the pre-booked parking works out. We couldn't figure another way to do it this go around and still achieve the "pick up college kid" goal. But if it works, we'll do it again this way. Here's hoping.

We used to go into the city every year before Christmas when dh's family lived in CT, walking distance from the Metro North. So maybe we get to revive that tradition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Also, we have the largest Sri Lankan community outside of Sri Lanka, so you can get something you can't get anywhere else - Sri Lankan food! (Well, unless you go to Sri Lanka, I guess.) Come on a weekend, take the train two stops down to Stapleton, get off, and Lakruwana is just about right there for the buffet, and they also run a small museum.

Ooohh…we’ve taken the ferry but I don’t think I’ve ever had Sri Lankan food. Sounds like a great excuse to head to Staten Island for real (aka, not just turn around at the ferry terminal lol)!

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Ooohh…we’ve taken the ferry but I don’t think I’ve ever had Sri Lankan food. Sounds like a great excuse to head to Staten Island for real (aka, not just turn around at the ferry terminal lol)!

Hah, I was just thinking that. I’ve mostly just turned around at the terminal…

I did get one of my COVID shots in Staten Island, but that time, we drove…

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm going to NYC mid-December too! I bought dh tickets to see a show he wanted to see. We'll see a friend, do a Christmas market, hit a museum, eat some food, then retrieve our kid in New England and take him home for the holidays. I've literally not tried to drive to NYC since I was in college, so we'll see how the pre-booked parking works out. We couldn't figure another way to do it this go around and still achieve the "pick up college kid" goal. But if it works, we'll do it again this way. Here's hoping.

We used to go into the city every year before Christmas when dh's family lived in CT, walking distance from the Metro North. So maybe we get to revive that tradition.

We thought about driving to avoid the crowded airports, but after too many years of living in small town New England we weren’t sure we our nerves would be up for it lol. 

Hope you get good driving weather and have a fun trip!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh no!!

I personally do like coconut, though… hmmm.

Yeah, we miss out on trying a lot of ethnic foods because of the coconut thing, but he has to be really careful (and when English isn’t a first language even more so). It seems like coconut is in *everything* these days, especially “natural foods”. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Yeah, we miss out on trying a lot of ethnic foods because of the coconut thing, but he has to be really careful (and when English isn’t a first language even more so). It seems like coconut is in *everything* these days, especially “natural foods”. 

I’m sorry!! That sounds very irritating :-(.

What kinds of food do you like? We may have suggestions…

It can be quite spicy! Think "similar to Indian food, but less dairy, more fish" - and, yes, coconut. I'd rec the eggplant that every restaurant seems to serve, but I'm pretty sure that coconut milk is a part of that recipe. If you're worried about that, you should definitely call ahead and ask what foods would be safe, but, alas, you might be better off skipping it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • MEmama changed the title to NYC in December? Update I ❤️ NYC
On 11/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, MEmama said:

Update: We went and had a **fantastic** time. Thanks for all the suggestions; idk if we actually did any of them lol, but they helped me plan and helped make the trip happen. It was a much needed getaway and I loved every minute of it. 🙂 

Yay!

• Thanks 1