Menu

Reality check - Cost for build and installation of an interior door

skimomma

I am trying to decide if this estimate is off before I further consider it.....

We got a quote to have a door installed in an interior doorway between our kitchen and the rest of the house.  Our house is 130+ years old and has a lot of really pretty, but a bit beat up, original trim, doors, and hardware.  The doorway is, of course, a non-standard size and is not even sort of true/plumb.  The quote is to custom build and install a door with a glass window in the style of the other doors in our house with period appropriate reproduction hardware.  The install is pricey due to the lopsided nature of 130yo houses.  The total quote is for nearly $1400.  Is that completely bananas or reasonable.  I really have no idea.  

Will they have to stain the trim to match and source the hardware?

I do think that is reasonable, particularly if the above answers are "yes"

I also wonder if they will true the opening? Is it a swinging door? One house I lived in long ago had a two-way swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. I liked that!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Will they have to stain the trim to match and source the hardware?

I do think that is reasonable, particularly if the above answers are "yes"

I also wonder if they will true the opening? Is it a swinging door? One house I lived in long ago had a two-way swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. I liked that!

They will paint to match trim (in our case white) and source the hardware.  If we do either of those, that comes off the top.

They will not true the opening and it is not swinging as the geometry of the space only allows the door to go it one direction....as much as I'd love a swinging door.

• Like 1

We paid $800 for 2 interior French doors in 2020.  Just the doors.  Installation fee was part of a larger project.  

Edit:  they were built locally but we picked from a set of standard options and they are a standard size.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

I am trying to decide if this estimate is off before I further consider it.....

We got a quote to have a door installed in an interior doorway between our kitchen and the rest of the house.  Our house is 130+ years old and has a lot of really pretty, but a bit beat up, original trim, doors, and hardware.  The doorway is, of course, a non-standard size and is not even sort of true/plumb.  The quote is to custom build and install a door with a glass window in the style of the other doors in our house with period appropriate reproduction hardware.  The install is pricey due to the lopsided nature of 130yo houses.  The total quote is for nearly $1400.  Is that completely bananas or reasonable.  I really have no idea.  

After the build up I thought there’d be another zero. That quote sounds VERY reasonable. I’m planning to make a barn door for my sons room because he has two oversized doors and buying premade from a big box store would be ~ $800 EACH. 

Throw your money at that craftsman.  The day rate for that level of skill plus materials PLUS a wonky house had me expecting a much higher quote. 

• Like 4

Another vote that given that it's glass and period style and custom that sounds super reasonable. I had someone install prefab door and fix the frame for it at cost (it was a friend who does some carpentry) plus his most basic rate and it was still $500. What you're talking about is so much more. 

• Like 1

Adding my opinion.  We are having a basic screen door installed on a back door at our business in rural Midwest.  Handyman isn’t marking up the door cost (~$200) and will be re-doing the framework around it (removing old door jam, painting and installing new 1x10s around the frame) and installing the door and will be about $700.  Much less custom work than it sounds you are needing, plus MUCH less fancy of a door.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I think we will go ahead and do it..  It is a bit of sticker shock.  We have really only ever had 100% necessary work done on our house.  Anything optional we have done ourselves which is very limited to tasks that very unhandy people can do.  This door will alleviate a lot of annoying hassles....mostly involving keeping cats out of the food.

• Like 4