Menu

Is this the start of World War 3?

Terabith

30 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Just remember it is the leaders who are responsible, not most of the people. I love Arnold Schwarzeneger's video to the Russians:

yeah.  It can be hard to remember at times.  People are not their gov't.  And generally the more dictatorial a gov't the more people are afraid to speak out in fear of their lives. (re: the crackdown in Iran right now, they just executed 28 women for daring to speak out.)

The best thing I can personally connect it to is my fil was a Japanese POW for 3 1/2 years during WWII.  He did not hate the Japanese people, and he was not the only former POW who didn't hate the Japanese people either.  He said he never saw a more grateful person than an older Japanese lady after the war was over, when he shared some of his food rations with her.  (The army was air dropping food into the POW camps for the POWs before they were able to land and repatriate them.)

• Like 5

I'm seeing news sources starting to be very careful about the need to establish where this missile originated and hearing references to analyzing the debris, etc.

My hunch is that they are becoming aware of the *possibility* that this may have been a Ukrainian defensive missile. Again, nothing conclusive here, but...

Bill

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Right, I am sure they didn’t mean to attack Poland.  But it wasn’t an accident, like they were transporting rockets and a plane crashed.  They meant to attack someone.  

You were sure they didn’t mean to attack Poland? Why? 

OK. 
I disagree. 
I am sure they are testing waters. 

• Like 1

The Russians have been humiliated by the strategic collapse of Kherson, which--among other things--provides the beginning of a path for the Ukrainians to push on towards Crimea and/or to cut the lines between the Donbas and northern Crimea.

Putin is trying to hit infrastructure such as the electrical grid and water supplies to increase misery in Ukraine as winter comes.

Bill

• Like 5

News here is saying that Poland president has released a statement that they are unsure who fired the missiles. And most likely a one off incident. 

I don't know how to copy links on my phone but it is in the Australian ABC live feed from a few minutes ago

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 7

55 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

News here is saying that Poland president has released a statement that they are unsure who fired the missiles. And most likely a one off incident. 

I don't know how to copy links on my phone but it is in the Australian ABC live feed from a few minutes ago

It feels like when the aircraft went down a few years back to be honest.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

You were sure they didn’t mean to attack Poland? Why? 

OK. 
I disagree. 
I am sure they are testing waters. 

You have history of living in Eastern Europe? My feeling is Russia has done that kind of thing before. Done something borderline that could be passed off as an accident to see what response it gets? Is that your take? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

Warsaw said it was Russian made - so I will assume the jury is still out.

The Ukrainians do have a lot of Soviet era Russian made stuff as well I think. But then US and others (understandably) may want the waters to be muddy enough that there’s no need for action 😞 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Ukrainians do have a lot of Soviet era Russian made stuff as well I think. But then US and others (understandably) may want the waters to be muddy enough that there’s no need for action 😞 

Photos were released of the debris. They suggest an S-300 SAM missile.

Bill

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You have history of living in Eastern Europe? My feeling is Russia has done that kind of thing before. Done something borderline that could be passed off as an accident to see what response it gets? Is that your take? 

Yes, sadly. Enough first hand experience with wars with them.

My speculation (purely mine) is they want to force Ukraine to the negotiating table now. If they can terrorize population enough to force politicians to soften their support of Ukraine and hence force Ukraine to the table, why not? They are planning on freezing Western Europeans (anybody want a link to how they are boasting about it in the ad?) by blowing up gas pipeline. They are terrorizing Ukrainians by destroying infrastructure. Now they can create very unpleasant situation on Polish border by “accident.” More things escalate, more they can say, look, we want to negotiate, why don’t you force Ukraine into concessions? 
Russian TV today out loud wondered how Poland is liking “having Belgorod” on their border alluding to the Russian region where war periodically spills over. I also think they want to see how NATO reacts and how much they can get away.

Of course it’s very much possible that it was an accident, but certainly not something anybody should be sure about. 
Anybody who wants to get a glimpse into the thinking of Russian regime should watch Russian Media Monitor on Twitter. Russian journalist outs subtitles to daily rants on Russian TV. 
And of course, for anybody who wants to understand the population, please read Anne Applebaum. Here is her latest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/12/putin-russia-must-lose-ukraine-war-imperial-future/671891/

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes, sadly. Enough first hand experience with wars with them.

My speculation (purely mine) is they want to force Ukraine to the negotiating table now. If they can terrorize population enough to force politicians to soften their support of Ukraine and hence force Ukraine to the table, why not? They are planning on freezing Western Europeans (anybody want a link to how they are boasting about it in the ad?) by blowing up gas pipeline. They are terrorizing Ukrainians by destroying infrastructure. Now they can create very unpleasant situation on Polish border by “accident.” More things escalate, more they can say, look, we want to negotiate, why don’t you force Ukraine into concessions? 
Russian TV today out loud wondered how Poland is liking “having Belgorod” on their border alluding to the Russian region where war periodically spills over. I also think they want to see how NATO reacts and how much they can get away.

Of course it’s very much possible that it was an accident, but certainly not something anybody should be sure about. 
Anybody who wants to get a glimpse into the thinking of Russian regime should watch Russian Media Monitor on Twitter. Russian journalist outs subtitles to daily rants on Russian TV. 
And of course, for anybody who wants to understand the population, please read Anne Applebaum. Here is her latest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/12/putin-russia-must-lose-ukraine-war-imperial-future/671891/

Putin's "plan" to freeze Western Europeans isn't going to work.

In fact, the Europeans have a gut of stockpiled natural gas. So much gas that there are currently ships carrying LNG waiting just offshore while they hope for supplies to go down and storage capacity to rise.

Part of this glut of gas is due to the good luck of a relatively warm autumn in Europe, but we (the USA) and others have done our parts to replace Russian gas. 

Putin is not proving to be a strategic genius.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, MercyA said:

Just remember it is the leaders who are responsible, not most of the people. I love Arnold Schwarzeneger's video to the Russians:

I do not hate all Russians.  I pray for all those in gulags now because they opposed the invasion.  It is not a free country and hasn't been for almost all of my life.  I hate the N. Korean govt too.  And not their populace.  And I can list many others.  

54 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Putin's "plan" to freeze Western Europeans isn't going to work.

In fact, the Europeans have a gut of stockpiled natural gas. So much gas that there are currently ships carrying LNG waiting just offshore while they hope for supplies to go down and storage capacity to rise.

Part of this glut of gas is due to the good luck of a relatively warm autumn in Europe, but we (the USA) and others have done our parts to replace Russian gas. 

Putin is not proving to be a strategic genius.

Bill

Things aren’t as well in Germany though last I read.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/27/1124448463/germany-coal-energy-crisis

31 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Things aren’t as well in Germany though last I read.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/27/1124448463/germany-coal-energy-crisis

It is inarguably bad for the environment to burn coal, but this article that explains Germany's coal burning energy capacity only amplifies the miscalculation by Putin that he can make Europe "freeze" this winter. Europe has made moves to have alternate energy supplies to compensate for the loss of Russian supplies.

As I said, Putin is not proving to be a strategic genius.

Bill

• Like 4