Menu

Allergy friendly holiday candY?

HomeAgain

Specifically: no nuts or dairy.  Prefer no artificial dye, but not a big issue. 

That said, does anyone have any ideas of small, individually wrapped candy that meets this specification?  Usually I fill ornaments with a small selection of Dove chocolates (the ones made in nut-free assemblies) and miniature candy canes.  The candy canes are still a go this year, but chocolates are not.  And I don't want to do ones that aren't in holiday wrapping - the Dove chocolates look like cute little presents so it was a nice touch.

If you have kids with these allergies, what do you give them for the holidays?

Edited by HomeAgain
Changed "candies" to "candy", to keep it from being mixed up with candles. :)

Enjoy Life has holiday candies individually wrapped — I just ordered some. 

And our favorite is No Whey. I just placed a big order there, but I can’t specifically remember if they had individually wrapped small candies — they usually do, but their stock comes and goes. 

Both make good chocolate, though I lean toward No Whey.

I’ll try to come back with links.

ETA: Alas, I don’t see the small individual candies at No Whey this year, but they may add some later: https://nowheychocolate.com/vegan-christmas-chocolate/

Which must be why I ordered the minis from Enjoy Life: https://enjoylifefoods.com/collections/shop-all

There’s also another company we loved. Vermont Nut Free Chocolate? We could order their dark chocolate for DS, because he could handle trace amounts of dairy, but when DD became allergic she couldn’t, so we stopped ordering from them. Their dark chocolate didn’t contain dairy years ago, but they have dairy in the facility so I wouldn’t call it dairy free. It’s delicious though!

Edited by Spryte
  • Thanks 1

If you go to this link https://www.naturalcandystore.com/category/special-diets

you can filter candy by restrictions, including no nuts and no dairy. All of their candy is dye-free. They have a lot of holiday candy this time of year. 

Looks like they have individually wrapped coins, snowflakes, trees, and Santas that meet your specifications! Also individual holiday packaged YumEarth Giggles (like M&M's without the allergens). You can find YumEarth products at Target, too.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!

My own kid will be THRILLED if I put Smarties in there!  It's his favorite candy and I didn't even think about them. 

I was leaning toward the EnjoyLife treats, @Spryte, but they seem to get mixed reviews on whether the individual packaging is holiday themed or just the outside bag is.  And I've only tried the baked goods so I was unsure if the candies were, um, well, as good as non-modified. I may have to make the trek over to Target/Whole Foods this month and inspect packages and try out a few different things, lol. 

1 hour ago, perky said:

I can't speak to holiday wrapping, but here are some dairy free nut free candies:  Smarties, Skittles, Krabby Patties, Sour Patch Kids, Twizzlers...

Basically you go the fruity candy route.

Adding to this list: SweetTarts Ropes are dye-free. 

54 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Thank you!

My own kid will be THRILLED if I put Smarties in there!  It's his favorite candy and I didn't even think about them. 

I was leaning toward the EnjoyLife treats, @Spryte, but they seem to get mixed reviews on whether the individual packaging is holiday themed or just the outside bag is.  And I've only tried the baked goods so I was unsure if the candies were, um, well, as good as non-modified. I may have to make the trek over to Target/Whole Foods this month and inspect packages and try out a few different things, lol. 

A few years ago the candies were just wrapped in their usual packaging, boo, but they changed that and last year we had snowmen or something festive. The Halloween candies this year were appropriately wrapped, too. I can let you know when I get our order! Placed it yesterday.

If you want to taste ahead of time, the candies are just exactly like their candy bars. 

It’s a challenge to find this stuff, so if you have any luck, please let me know?

Natural Candy Store https://www.naturalcandystore.com/category/8-allergens-free-candy has some, too. Little shapes wrapped in foil. We’ve bought from them before as well.

Another brand we like is Free2B but I don’t know if they make small holiday candies, we’ve only had the sunbutter cups (yum).

Overall, my favorite chocolates, in taste order, have been Vermont NF, No Whey, and Enjoy Life. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

In addition to the allergy specific brands Spryte mentioned, I am usually able to find some shaped dark chocolates with no dairy for the holidays. Trader Joe’s sometimes has a dark chocolate version of their chocolate coins. World Market typically has a number of dairy free dark chocolate choices for Christmas as well. 

You guys are making me miss our World Market!  It closed down during the pandemic.

We have a few places here to check for in-store stock, but they're all at least a good drive.  It's best if I plan now to put specific brands on my list and check if they're available. 

Thank you all so much!  I have a much better idea now of what to look for and narrow down the options!

17 minutes ago, Bambam said:

This is so sad. I read this as Allergy Friendly Holiday CANDLES. And I was so excited and hoped I would find something useful. Pretty much all candle scents bother me ... Carry on, Putting on my reading glasses now so I can read thread titles correctly. 

What’s sadder is that I not only read, but also replied to this thread earlier and when I saw the thread title just now, I read it the same way as you and was similarly excited to know there might be some scented candles that were not bothersome 🤦‍♀️

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

This is so sad. I read this as Allergy Friendly Holiday CANDLES. And I was so excited and hoped I would find something useful. Pretty much all candle scents bother me ... Carry on, Putting on my reading glasses now so I can read thread titles correctly. 

Oh, I'm sorry! 😞

I struggle with candle scents, too.  DH and I started filling short jars with cloves and nestling tea lights in them.  The result is a heavenly aroma and so holiday-ish!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Oh, I'm sorry! 😞

I struggle with candle scents, too.  DH and I started filling short jars with cloves and nestling tea lights in them.  The result is a heavenly aroma and so holiday-ish!

What a good idea! I will have to try that. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bambam said:

4 hours ago, KSera said:

What’s sadder is that I not only read, but also replied to this thread earlier and when I saw the thread title just now, I read it the same way as you and was similarly excited to know there might be some scented candles that were not bothersome 🤦‍♀️

Me too! And even thought I know it's "candies" I still read "candles" every time. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, *Jessica* said:

Say what?!  I must check this out.  I used to love SweetTarts but I can’t eat artificial dye.  I assume the ropes are like licorice?  Never mind, I will look it up. 😁

Same!!! I was thrilled to find these rope things. I bought them for my DD, but Iove them, I admit. Dye affects both of us very badly.

They are not exactly like licorice...they are a "rope" with chewy filling inside. It's hard to describe. They come in different flavors. I've had the cherry, strawberry, and rainbow punch. Yum.

I also discovered about six months ago that Popsicle brand popsicles are now dye-free, including fun ones like Firecrackers (red, white, and blue striped) and Jolly Ranchers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our box of No Whey Christmas chocolates arrived today. No tiny individually wrapped candies, but they had candy cane shaped containers of no-nos which are like m n ms. They are vegan, nut free, lots of other stuff free, and dye free. If anyone is interested in more dye free options! Lots of other goodies, too. 

• Thanks 2

Ok, our Enjoy Life package arrived and I opened a bag of minis. They are so disappointing! No holiday wrapping in the individual pieces this year. I would skip them, OP.

Natural Candy Store has some that are nut and dairy free, I may have linked them above. We have had those before, and they would be more festive!

• HomeAgain changed the title to Allergy friendly holiday candY?
12 hours ago, Spryte said:

Ok, our Enjoy Life package arrived and I opened a bag of minis. They are so disappointing! No holiday wrapping in the individual pieces this year. I would skip them, OP.

Natural Candy Store has some that are nut and dairy free, I may have linked them above. We have had those before, and they would be more festive!

Aw, thanks!  I will pass on them, then.

I found miniature wrapped candy canes from Yum Earth at Target yesterday. The Haribo bags of holiday gummies were too big for the tiny containers I have. But I have a month or so to see what Trader Joes or Whole Foods comes out with.

Many of the recipients are tween boys, so I'm definitely looking for easily identifiable sweets. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Lake Champlain makes some of our favorites and a lot of their options are dairy free: https://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/seasonal-chocolates/vegan-christmas-chocolate/

They even have chocolate snowmen which we put in stockings here.

I didn't know they had vegan offerings!  We get their hot cocoa every year. 🙂