Menu

place mat recommendations please

TechWife

Does anyone know of any fabric place mats that are appropriately sized and don't shrink? By appropriately sized I mean that an entire, normal place setting will fit on them: full size dinner plate, fork, knife, glass, bowl or bread plate. That's it - nothing fancy. I have a nice table that I'm trying to protect and with no kids in the house, that shouldn't be a problem. What I don't want to do is get out the table pads and put a tablecloth on - that's both too formal for everyday and takes away from our enjoyment of the aesthetics of the table - the entire reason we chose to get it refinished last year and not replace it. We eat dinner on it every night. I'd just like setting the table to be a little easier.

I've had much more luck buying fabric napkins and the like from etsy rather than something mass manufactured. I found a lot of the mass manufactured stuff to just be a  sheet of fabric with a hem and those get misshapen easily. I can easily find something hand-made where they put two pieces of cotton cloth together; those hold their shape much better.   

• Like 1

Do you sew at all? Because double-sided turned and topstitched rectangles would be pretty simple to make. 

I wish I could recommend the ones I bought on Amazon but it says they’re currently unavailable. They’re nice, thick woven ones. I have two sets and rotate them. I don’t put them in the dryer, but they dry pretty quickly laid out on a clean counter, usually overnight. 

• Like 2

Our outside-the-box solution:  we had a thick piece of glass cut the size of our dining room table.
(35 years of messy kids eating on my grandma's dining room table = fantastic. )

But yes, placemats are easy to sew, fun to DIY creatively, and likely lots of free ideas on The Internet.
I used quilted fabric on one side, & made them reversible. 
We also use vintage souvenir plastic placemats, of favorite locals, and  woven (colonial style?) navy/cream placemats.

I also made sentimental ones using large/pieced cardstock & photos, laminated between 2 large pieces of clear contact paper.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Do you sew at all? Because double-sided turned and topstitched rectangles would be pretty simple to make. 

Yes, they are. I've made a few sets. I put fairly stiff interfacing between the layers of fabric for stability. 

My favorite store placements are from World Market but I haven't cared for any of their recent offerings. 

Edited by marbel

I sew my own, with quality fabric from a quilt store, not from Joann’s.  I bet Etsy would be a good source of quality ones if you don’t sew- or don’t want to make your own.  The pic is one I made for Thanksgiving, but simple ones would be quick to make. 
I prefer placemats so I can see my table and just wash one placemat if it gets dirty instead of an entire tablecloth. 

ABCC6DCE-0B22-438B-B795-FB62375AAB53.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have had to sew mine from high quality quilt fabric because it was the only way to get the larger size. I have no idea why placemats do not come large enough for a full place setting, however I do suspect that maybe in times past - Leave it to Beaver era - the idea was mom and kids at home for breakfast and lunch eating the small meals thus not needing a larger placemat, and then when the "man of the house" came home, out came the tablecloth, china, and candlesticks...very "Mona Lisa Smile, Vassar College" kind of stuff. I could be wrong though. At any rate, if would be nice if manufacturers caught on.

I also hate the poly crap excuses for cloth napkins which absorb exactly nothing, and stain easily, so I have been making a big stack of cloth napkins as well. It is just dh and I now, however, not only do we love cloth napkins, but all of my holiday ones were completely faded/worn out. We will be hosting T Day, Christmas Eve, and Easter this year with all three of our sons and our daughter in law plus honorary two daughters and their respective husband/fiance` so I need placemats for breakfasts and lunches, and napkins for all the meals plus themed ones for the big holiday meal. 

Other than sewing them custom, I have no idea how to get the size you want. Maybe a fine china store would carry them? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I wish I could recommend the ones I bought on Amazon but it says they’re currently unavailable. They’re nice, thick woven ones. I have two sets and rotate them. I don’t put them in the dryer, but they dry pretty quickly laid out on a clean counter, usually overnight. 

I do but I don’t want to do them. I be been thinking about it for two years now & with my schedule it isn’t going to happen. I also don’t want to baby them. Wash. Dry. Use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

I'm thinking of getting the rigid cork backed type but I don't know if they're large enough.

I’ve seen some that aren’t. The best ones I’ve had the past couple of years have been the woven round ones but they eventually come unwound and they aren’t very pretty 

This has been a frustration for me as well. We have some super-thick ones that are large and woven like a rug from Target, but I bought them eons ago and I don't know if they still stock them. For a while I had similar, rug-like ones that were round, and the frustration is that in the washer they would turn into conical hats and never lie flat again.

A different option for thickness might be to get the cork+rubber mats sold at the hardware store to place under potted plants. Put your attractive-but-thin placemat on top.

Other than that I'd say your best option is Etsy.

I have bought really good ones from Homegoods,The one I am currently using is a Tommy Bahamas brand that I picked up just before the pandamic hit.It was on clearance at $10-11.They have held up really well.The others I have bought were from Cost plus,Pier 1 and Marshalls.The latest was from Homegoods a few months ago.I always put them on speed wash and then dry them for 20 minutes,I always wash them with kitchen towels.Hth

• Like 1