Menu

Halloween Graveyards

Teaching3bears

Some people decorate their lawns for Halloween with graveyards.  I went for a walk today and saw one with “RIP” and the names of different politicians on each tombstone.  I saw another with various celebrities and another with various government policies.  Then I saw one with names I did not recognize.  Were those people in his own social circle that he did not care for?  His boss? I hope nobody puts my name on a tombstone!  
What do you think of this?  All in good fun or not?  Have you seen anything interesting on Halloween tombstones?

23 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Our tombstones are all names of famous writers. When he could find the actual epitaph, my husband put that on the "stone." In some cases, he went with a different quote attributed to that person that seemed appropriate. 

Very few people seem to get the references, but we like it.

I love that!

We actually have a cemetary on our property and I'll be buried there. I want, when I die for my kids to build a spooky iron fence around it and make a corn maze from the top of the hill where the house is down to the cemetery. I want in the cemetery to be spooky characters giving out candy in the cemetery and all the good candy needs to be on my tombstone. 

Also, I want a smoke machine down there to make it really creepy

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

I wouldn't be thrilled with modern, recent folks being memorialized in this way just because their deaths are more raw to their families and friends. But historical characters from several generations before would be fine with me. We have only one tombstone for the holiday. It says, "Here lies Ebenezer Scrooge" and is a left over piece of scenery/prop from when I was prop master for a production of "A Christmas Carol".

• Like 3

The ones around here tend to say things like:

"Died for not forwarding that message to 50 people," "Ben Better," or "I told you I was sick." The best I've seen said "Did my own research." 😉 

I think it's tacky to put the names of living people on the stones. Government policies, okay. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Teaching3bears said:

Some people decorate their lawns for Halloween with graveyards.  I went for a walk today and saw one with “RIP” and the names of different politicians on each tombstone.  I saw another with various celebrities and another with various government policies.  Then I saw one with names I did not recognize.  Were those people in his own social circle that he did not care for?  His boss? I hope nobody puts my name on a tombstone!  
What do you think of this?  All in good fun or not?  Have you seen anything interesting on Halloween tombstones?

Inappropriate (I’m assuming these are living politicians).

Considering that politicians have been literally attacked recently, I think it’s dangerous and crosses a line.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Someone last year in my neighborhood did the usual Halloween graveyard, and then had white treat bags in the cemetery for trick or treaters. I really liked that everything was individually packaged, and that people weren't clawing through a bucket of candy and touching everything subsequent people would receive. 

A couple of years ago, we put up a Halloween "tree" in our front yard. We bought one of those laundry racks that opens like an umbrella, decked it out with garlands of faux leaves in seasonal colors and then hung small treat bags on twine (cut to varying lengths so kids or varying sizes and ages could reach) with clothespins. We put out a sign inviting folks to "pick a treat from the tree." 

We wandered out to the front yard periodically throughout the evening to wave at wanderers from a safe distance and, when necessary, to replenish the tree.

It was a big hit. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Our tombstones are all names of famous writers. When he could find the actual epitaph, my husband put that on the "stone." In some cases, he went with a different quote attributed to that person that seemed appropriate. 

Very few people seem to get the references, but we like it.

How did you make them?

7 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

A couple of years ago, we put up a Halloween "tree" in our front yard. We bought one of those laundry racks that opens like an umbrella, decked it out with garlands of faux leaves in seasonal colors and then hung small treat bags on twine (cut to varying lengths so kids or varying sizes and ages could reach) with clothespins. We put out a sign inviting folks to "pick a treat from the tree." 

We wandered out to the front yard periodically throughout the evening to wave at wanderers from a safe distance and, when necessary, to replenish the tree.

It was a big hit. 

What a clever Covid era solution! 

I’ll bet kids are going to have fond memories of it, during a year that was otherwise so difficult. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1