Menu

No words, not enough words, too many words (contains news story of rape and trafficking)

SquirrellyMama

When I read and re-read this story there are times I have no words, times I just can't think of enough words, and times I have a lot of words (most of them bad words). These stories contain rape, sexual trafficking of a teen, and a broken justice system.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/14/1122904939/iowa-teenager-pieper-lewis-killed-accused-rapist-ordered-pay-150000

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pieper-lewis-gofundme-pay-restitution-for-killing-her-alleged-rapist/

Kelly

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

When I read and re-read this story there are times I have no words, times I just can't think of enough words, and times I have a lot of words (most of them bad words). These stories contain rape, sexual trafficking of a teen, and a broken justice system.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/14/1122904939/iowa-teenager-pieper-lewis-killed-accused-rapist-ordered-pay-150000

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pieper-lewis-gofundme-pay-restitution-for-killing-her-alleged-rapist/

Kelly

Oh boo freaking hoo. A rapist’s kids will grow up without their sicko bastard sex trafficking raping father. Good riddance.  They are better off. 

Just. Yeah. I’m right there with you on all the words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I read that yesterday. My response is similar to Murphy. On top of which, possibly the nation should be paying her a handsome bounty for taking a rapist, pedophile, garbage, piece of trash human off the streets. One less pervert we have to defend our children from. I hate thinking like that, but given how the system treats victims and just how many rape apologists and supporters there are on the benches of this country, it seems that none of them have a shred of decency with which to point the finger at the rest of us for applauding her. Again, I don't like thinking that way.  However, the sickos parading around the criminal justice system as judges and prosecutors are practically begging the citizens of this country to adopt the mindset.

• Like 1

It sounds like the mandatory restitution law needs to be changed and the judge was reluctant but had no choice.  

Someone needs to be screaming about changing that law to exclude victims.  I also don’t understand why her lawyer advised her to plead guilty, as that didn’t allow her to fall into the affirmative defense category that Iowa has.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh boo freaking hoo. A rapist’s kids will grow up without their sicko bastard sex trafficking raping father. Good riddance.  They are better off. 

Just. Yeah. I’m right there with you on all the words.

My reaction as well.

what was even worse was the judge repeatedly questioned the girl about how HER choices made this happen. 

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

It sounds like the mandatory restitution law needs to be changed and the judge was reluctant but had no choice.  

Someone needs to be screaming about changing that law to exclude victims.  I also don’t understand why her lawyer advised her to plead guilty, as that didn’t allow her to fall into the affirmative defense category that Iowa has.

I’d give the judge slack if he hadn’t spent time berating her for her “bad decisions “ that led to being trafficked and raped. Victim blaming a teen who was raped by a 37 yr old!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I’d give the judge slack if he hadn’t spent time berating her for her “bad decisions “ that led to being trafficked and raped. Victim blaming a teen who was raped by a 37 yr old!

I didn’t see that part in the first news story I read. I did see she was homeless.

I wish there were more resources for homeless teens.  It’s a big issue in the city I work in and the last homeless shelter just shut down due to losing a grant to cover security(and they truly had a need for security 24/7).  They wouldn’t take teens anyway, but now there is just nothing.  Everyone’s attitude is that homeless teens are homeless by choice, because they could go home or to a foster home if necessary or even a group home—despite the fact that teens leave these options due to abuse for the most part. So nobody cares about alternatives and things like sleeping in a hallway and going with the first guy who seems nice happens.

Its raw for me. I feel like I deal with this once a week(homeless or transient teens and assaults) and I only work two days now.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

She should have been given a medal. 

Oh yes! At this point, someone in power elsewhere needs to put on their big boy and girl panties and throw her a parade. I would contribute to a go fund me to pay this crap restitution.

As for the guilty plea, this was probably the best deal the prosecution would offer and she had a public defender. In my experience, prosecutors go after the least able to defend themselves persons knowing they will have to take a public defender, and the public defenders are given all of $500 for the entire case - can't even pay enough to get an independent psychiatrist or trauma therapist to testify - and so with no funds to really do any investigations or expert testimony, they make the minimum effort required by law which is about as minimum as you can possibly imagine.

43 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh yes! At this point, someone in power elsewhere needs to put on their big boy and girl panties and throw her a parade. I would contribute to a go fund me to pay this crap restitution.

As for the guilty plea, this was probably the best deal the prosecution would offer and she had a public defender. In my experience, prosecutors go after the least able to defend themselves persons knowing they will have to take a public defender, and the public defenders are given all of $500 for the entire case - can't even pay enough to get an independent psychiatrist or trauma therapist to testify - and so with no funds to really do any investigations or expert testimony, they make the minimum effort required by law which is about as minimum as you can possibly imagine.

They’ve raised $270k so far. It will also pay for education. She wants to get into advocacy. 

Story

• Like 2