Menu

Well-trained bodies - September

Laura Corin

I finally did a quick version of my "yoga etc." after many days of skipping it.

I've been taking a lot of short walks with my pup and his visitor friend this week.  Did a bit of carrying and stairs over the weekend.

I have many other ideas for exercise, but it depends on what else is going on.

Been a little better about eating fruits & vegetables & drinking water, but also still succumbing to the temptation to eat quantities of chips!

• Like 7

Some errands at lunchtime,  then a 30-minute boosted walk video after work. I'm still having problems with my knee on hills, and I wanted to get my heart rate up. I'm going to be more dedicated to full doses of ibuprofen for the rest of the week, to try to reduce the inflammation. 

I'll use my weights for twenty minutes later.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Some errands at lunchtime,  then a 30-minute boosted walk video after work. I'm still having problems with my knee on hills, and I wanted to get my heart rate up. I'm going to be more dedicated to full doses of ibuprofen for the rest of the week, to try to reduce the inflammation. 

I'll use my weights for twenty minutes later.

Laura, I have a tough time taking ibuprofen and others in its class due to digestive dysfunction. I have two options that work better than I thought they would but tried out of desperation.

The medical option is dicofenac cream or gel. It works best on bony areas (joints). Where there's a lot of muscle it doesn't get to the problem spots as well. It's noticeably helpful on my neck, hands, elbow. Not so much thighs or glutes. I'm not sure how it would be on knees, but they are bony joints so I suspect it really might help. 

The other is just plain ice. The conventional wisdom is that ice is only effective the first day or two after an injury. However, since ibuprofen is a very limited option for me, I have been forced to explore the wonders of ice. When my feet were particularly problematic, I sat with my feet in a tub of cold water with a cupful of ice cubes four times per day for about ten minutes each time. I re-used the same water throughout the day, making sure my feet were clean each time and just adding the cupful of ice. I did this for months (I think four? not sure exactly). I did not base it on pain--I just kept to the schedule exactly as if it were a medicine that I needed to take. It actually worked wonders, and I have since done that for elbows and hands with similar results.

For knees, you can get an ice wrap that is specifically fitted to the knee--they're really helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Laura, I have a tough time taking ibuprofen and others in its class due to digestive dysfunction. I have two options that work better than I thought they would but tried out of desperation.

The medical option is dicofenac cream or gel. It works best on bony areas (joints). Where there's a lot of muscle it doesn't get to the problem spots as well. It's noticeably helpful on my neck, hands, elbow. Not so much thighs or glutes. I'm not sure how it would be on knees, but they are bony joints so I suspect it really might help. 

The other is just plain ice. The conventional wisdom is that ice is only effective the first day or two after an injury. However, since ibuprofen is a very limited option for me, I have been forced to explore the wonders of ice. When my feet were particularly problematic, I sat with my feet in a tub of cold water with a cupful of ice cubes four times per day for about ten minutes each time. I re-used the same water throughout the day, making sure my feet were clean each time and just adding the cupful of ice. I did this for months (I think four? not sure exactly). I did not base it on pain--I just kept to the schedule exactly as if it were a medicine that I needed to take. It actually worked wonders, and I have since done that for elbows and hands with similar results.

For knees, you can get an ice wrap that is specifically fitted to the knee--they're really helpful.

Thanks! I  dug out some Diclofenac gel and used it. I'll try to alternate between that and ice tomorrow, in addition to the ibuprofen.  I'm tired of not being able to hike.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

The tennis was really fun this afternoon! My body is pretty stiff now, as dh and I drove around for almost an hour right after tennis picking up ds from university and then grabbing food for him. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here yet, but dh and I got a membership to the indoor clay courts this winter. We were on the wait list for a long time, and just heard the good news. That means I'll be able to play regular tennis this fall and winter. I'm really excited! 

• Like 8

@wintermom yay on the indoor courts 

my dad wanted to take me out to dinner at this place I’d never gone. I’d heard they have good steak. I hesitated to order it because of the price (even though he was paying) and I wasn’t interested in anything else on the menu. We ended up splitting the meal and sides and had enough food. I know it was a ton of calories 😩 I drank water with it and my other meals today were fairly light. 

When I got home I did 15 min walking with Rick, 15 min HIIT, 20 min on the bike and some exercises to target my love handles. Ugh that and my muffin top bother me the most right now. I can’t even tell if the love handles exercises are working the right areas as I often don’t feel anything in the target zone. But logically at least some of them must be helping. The claims that you’ll get results in 2 weeks… yeah I dunno about that. 

My step count wasn’t impressive today and I feel like I’ve taken a step or 2 backwards this week. 

my tailbone occasionally still bothers me. It started to hurt in the restaurant booth. I’m so ready for that to fully heal. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I think I should get a round of applause for doing PT stuff and 2 laps on the lane next to my house today. It's a push with how loopy I feel with the meds I am taking. The exercise did help. Onward and upward.

Round of applause for you👏 It is hard to stay positive when you are feeling bad. Continued good thoughts for you and your healing.

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

The tennis was really fun this afternoon! My body is pretty stiff now, as dh and I drove around for almost an hour right after tennis picking up ds from university and then grabbing food for him. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here yet, but dh and I got a membership to the indoor clay courts this winter. We were on the wait list for a long time, and just heard the good news. That means I'll be able to play regular tennis this fall and winter. I'm really excited! 

Congratulations! You must be so excited. 

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

@wintermom yay on the indoor courts 

my dad wanted to take me out to dinner at this place I’d never gone. I’d heard they have good steak. I hesitated to order it because of the price (even though he was paying) and I wasn’t interested in anything else on the menu. We ended up splitting the meal and sides and had enough food. I know it was a ton of calories 😩 I drank water with it and my other meals today were fairly light. 

When I got home I did 15 min walking with Rick, 15 min HIIT, 20 min on the bike and some exercises to target my love handles. Ugh that and my muffin top bother me the most right now. I can’t even tell if the love handles exercises are working the right areas as I often don’t feel anything in the target zone. But logically at least some of them must be helping. The claims that you’ll get results in 2 weeks… yeah I dunno about that. 

My step count wasn’t impressive today and I feel like I’ve taken a step or 2 backwards this week. 

my tailbone occasionally still bothers me. It started to hurt in the restaurant booth. I’m so ready for that to fully heal. 

A big meal now and again isn't terrible, really. And you split it and drank water--- kudos!!! The thing with weight loss is that we cannot target it, despite what any videos say. You can work those muscles but mostly what you are looking for is probably weight loss. We all lose it differently. I lose weight from my top half most easily-- I'm more of a pear. Losing weight in my hips and thighs takes the longest.  (If you aren't already wear higher waisted pants--- those keep in the muffin top and love handles)

19 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did Adriene's Lower Back Love video this morning instead of my usual treadmill. Dd and I waited in a 3-hour line of cars for our Covid boosters Saturday (and no, I would not have done that if I had known how long it would take). So I spent yesterday sleeping on the sofa (I always lose the day after a Covid shot). And my lower back is hurting--not sure why, maybe 3 hours sitting in the car. So yoga today.

Last night was our first as empty nesters. This is a happy change for the most part. Having disabled dd home definitely raises our stress levels. Youngest took the overnight Coast Starlight train down to CA Saturday night. They had to travel through one of Oregon's fire areas, but made it through. Dh said that on Sunday they closed the tracks for some controlled burns. Glad she's safely in CA--dh gets to drive her stuff down on the weekend.

That is a big milestone. Any changes planned for this new era?  

19 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@Soror An hour of squats, lunges and planks? I bow to you.

(actually this one was a lot less brutal than last week-- nice and slow and controlled)

19 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

With the longer walk yesterday morning and some poking around the house, I ended up getting my steps done for the day early in the evening. I still took the dog out for a short walk later, just to clear my head after I finished the school reading and assignments.

Started this morning a little short on steps and exercise, because I had an appointment for a blood draw at 8:15. (Of course, they didn't actually take me into the room until after 9:00.) I really tried to get up early enough to allow for the usual routine before I left, but I just couldn't do it. So, I managed about 3.8K and 20 minutes of strength and stretching. I did park at the wrong entrance for the lab and ended up having to walk up (and then down) some stairs and around the building, which netted me enough steps to catch me up for the morning. 

More walking later, as usual.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 176.3 f 600k
Walking Streak: 133 days

It is such a pain having to work around appointments, good for you for finding a way to make it work.

15 hours ago, TerenceMil said:

I've just started the second week of my September 4-weeks program. Excited about it. Hope to see the result at the end.

Welcome! What program are you doing? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Today is 1 hr-- upper body and upper core/10 min yoga stretching at some point (I just searched 10 min yoga on YouTube and picked one I think I'll keep doing that until I find one I want to stick with or just keep it mixed up)

Maybe some pickleball this afternoon before I pick up dd? Evidently you can play on the middleschool courts without approving it with anyone (as long as it is afterschool). I was thinking it would be a good PE for the girls and I have to go pick up dd after tennis practice. I've never played with the girls so we'll see how it goes.

And planning for a nap. I'm awake in the night, hormones? my rich dinner (homemade enchiladas) who knows

eta: Done! upper body (1 hr- loving this series - 1 hr but the time passed quickly due to the structure-- nice solid strength work w/ core-- 3 sets each of 9 min core/9 min upper body) and yoga (12 min) done-- Today yoga with Cassandra

My upper back and neck has been hurting me and it finally occurred to me it is likely because of the shoulder stand and plow from Sunday's workout. I used to do these with ease but have not done either one in a long while. I probably should have held back and done shorter times on them.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

I got in an upper body strength workout yesterday. 

Today I ran 5 miles with my run training group and will hopefully do a core workout this afternoon. 

I have a half marathon coming up in November and a full marathon in February. I need to plot out my training for both. I want to keep up with my biking and swimming since Tri season starts shortly after February here. 

• Like 7

Hit the treadmill today--30 min. On the topic of pain relief, when I told my doc this summer that 1 ibuprofen didn't help with shoulder pain she first said 1 isn't enough but then said to try Aleve. I took 1 yesterday for my back pain and didn't notice any pain while I was standing and teaching all day long. Or maybe it was the yoga.🙂

• Like 5

The weather turned stormy right around the time I finished work yesterday and was looking forward to a walk to clear my head. I ended up walking/jogging around the house for about 30 minutes, which wasn't as satisfying as getting outside, but helped a bit. Then, after dinner, I was able to get outside and walk off the rest of the day's steps.

Started okay this morning with about 4.25K of walking, but then got distracted trying to find a dog I spotted wandering off-leash without a person. I had to drop mine at home and grab my car keys (figuring I'd try to pick up the wanderer and take him to the vet to be scanned for a chip), by which time he had disappeared. I drove around for about 15 minutes, trying to think like a dog about which direction he might go, but found no sign of him. I'm choosing to believe he went home, his people figured out he was missing and came after him or that someone else beat me to the pick-up-and-take-for-scanning thing. 

In the meantime, though, that little adventure ate up my usual exercise time. Yoga tonight, so it's not like I'll have "nothing" for the day. 

And, of course, more walking at some point.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 184.7 f 600k
Walking Streak: 134 days

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Soror said:

Today is 1 hr-- upper body and upper core/10 min yoga stretching at some point (I just searched 10 min yoga on YouTube and picked one I think I'll keep doing that until I find one I want to stick with or just keep it mixed up)

Maybe some pickleball this afternoon before I pick up dd? Evidently you can play on the middleschool courts without approving it with anyone (as long as it is afterschool). I was thinking it would be a good PE for the girls and I have to go pick up dd after tennis practice. I've never played with the girls so we'll see how it goes.

And planning for a nap. I'm awake in the night, hormones? my rich dinner (homemade enchiladas) who knows

eta: Done! upper body (1 hr- loving this series - 1 hr but the time passed quickly due to the structure-- nice solid strength work w/ core-- 3 sets each of 9 min core/9 min upper body) and yoga (12 min) done-- Today yoga with Cassandra

My upper back and neck has been hurting me and it finally occurred to me it is likely because of the shoulder stand and plow from Sunday's workout. I used to do these with ease but have not done either one in a long while. I probably should have held back and done shorter times on them.

Yikes, sorry for your soreness. A nap will surely help in more ways than one. Perhaps also warm compresses to ease the muscle tension. 

Re pickleball--when we find those hidden free resources, it feels like Disneyworld. So cool! I hope your girls enjoy the new PE.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

The weather turned stormy right around the time I finished work yesterday and was looking forward to a walk to clear my head. I ended up walking/jogging around the house for about 30 minutes, which wasn't as satisfying as getting outside, but helped a bit. Then, after dinner, I was able to get outside and walk off the rest of the day's steps.

Started okay this morning with about 4.25K of walking, but then got distracted trying to find a dog I spotted wandering off-leash without a person. I had to drop mine at home and grab my car keys (figuring I'd try to pick up the wanderer and take him to the vet to be scanned for a chip), by which time he had disappeared. I drove around for about 15 minutes, trying to think like a dog about which direction he might go, but found no sign of him. I'm choosing to believe he went home, his people figured out he was missing and came after him or that someone else beat me to the pick-up-and-take-for-scanning thing. 

In the meantime, though, that little adventure ate up my usual exercise time. Yoga tonight, so it's not like I'll have "nothing" for the day. 

And, of course, more walking at some point.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 184.7 f 600k
Walking Streak: 134 days

Oh gosh I don’t know what is better to do wit a random dog. If you take the dog and the vet sees no chip then what? You release it back where you found it? In case it lives nearby. 

• Like 1

My dad and I are painting. Don’t know if any formal exercise will happen today. 

he brought a head of cauliflower so I made a chicken stir fry for lunch with riced cauliflower in place or rice. 

We are trying to get as much primer done tonight before it gets too dark. We’re working inside but still. My kitchen is chaos lol we moved the oven and that area was covered in grease so we cleaned that and then he sanded. He’s driving home tomorrow and I have to do magazine deliveries so I’m not sure how much we’ll get done. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Primer is done. Later I’ll probably paint around the kitchen windows. We debated on painting above the decorative piece since that goes all over the kitchen. I’m exhausted. My feet ache even though I painted seating a lot. Why are my feet so annoying. 

1C5CFD2C-2BA3-4B86-9E19-89FE6B6F1322.jpeg

Great work! You accomplished a ton!

I vote for painting the decorative piece for cohesiveness. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Great work! You accomplished a ton!

I vote for painting the decorative piece for cohesiveness. 

That was my original plan but my dad was concerned about is having to do more taping and the remainder of the kitchen being brown. I’ll post pics when it’s done and can always go back and do more. But I might need a taller stool to get way up there. 

• Like 3

@heartlikealion - I recently painted the cabinets and countertops in our primary bathroom. It was a project, for sure, but so worth it. (And, given the bending and twisting and the way I had to use my arms to sand and paint and drill for hardware, I totally counted that time as exercise.)

I don't have a good photo of the whole bathroom before, but I did take one pic of the smaller vanity before I started. 

(The bathroom is not quite "done." We still have to replace the fixtures on the tub and put up a towel shelf on a wall that is out of frame on the right side.)

IMG_20220809_120849721.jpg

IMG_20220830_090359943_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

I left for yoga a little early last night and walked for about 30 minutes around that neighborhood instead of my own, which was a nice change. When I got home after yoga, the dog and I went out for another short walk to finish off the day's steps. 

Started this morning with about 4.2K around the neighborhood. (The dog opted out after less than a kilometer. I think her joints may have been uncomfortable, so I didn't push it, just dropped her home and went back out on my own). Since I got out of bed almost on time this morning, I had plenty of time to devote to strength and stretching on the patio. 

I need to pick up the dog's refill at the vet sometime today. If I can squeeze out the time (and the weather cooperates), I will use that as an excuse for a walk. I also need to do some schoolwork this evening, but I will figure out how to walk before or after in order to get to the day's goal.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 193.5 of 600k
Walking Streak: 135 days

• Like 6

Beautiful work @Jenny in Florida and @heartlikealion. I certainly count project time as exercise/movement. The point of this exercise is to be able to do these things. And it can for sure fatigue the muscles when we were doing all our painting I couldn't do upper body work too my arms were spent. I actually have 2 unfinished cabinets I need to do in the basement bathroom but haven't decided what to do with them and have been busy outside.

We got in an hour of pickleball yesterday the girls had a great time and are ready to go again today. It was a lot of chasing balls as they've inherited my athletic prowess but they felt happy in the improvements they did see. WE'll aim for another hour or so today before I have to pick up dd. We also did a 15 min yoga stretch together before bed.

Done this am- 1 hr glutes/hamstrings/lower abs-- most all mat work, all bodyweight-- 1 more day to go with this series

-- will do at least another 10 min easy yoga at some point and the hour or so of pickleball and hopefully a short walk because the detour is finished!!!!! I'm so happy for traffic levels to be back down

• Like 6

Yesterday was rainy and I was lazy, so not much physical activity occurred. Today I took the puppy for a walk in the woods, and I may go for another walk or bike ride.

Tomorrow I'll walk with friends and play mixed doubles tennis. Should be a lot of fun! I'm also playing tennis Sat, Sun and Mon, so a nice little streak to look forward to!

RE: Finding a lost dog: We've both lost and found various dogs over the years. The easiest thing is if there is a phone number on a dog tag, just phone the owner. Once, our dog (without a dog tag and phone#) escaped from our backyard and the finder posted a message on a local Facebook page. My sil saw the post, recognized that it was probably our dog, and texted us. We eventually connected with the finder and picked up our dog. Yay!! That reminds me that I need to get the dog a new dog tag!! 😉 

• Like 4

I did not get in a walk yesterday. Since the girls wanted to play pickleball in the afternoon I ran out of time (by the time I got back home it was time to cook dinner, eat, and then I read to the girls. Maybe a short one today if we hustle? We are going swimming later and need to leave by 12:30 so it will be tight.

today: Isometrics full body - 1 hr/ 10 min yoga; indoor walk during girl's TKD 45m-1 hr

(I'd originally planned the full body for Friday but noticed it was actually scheduled for Thursday and since I'm trying 2 new classes Saturday better to do it early so any soreness can subside before then)

I've really enjoyed the 1 hr series this week but the hour workouts really crunch me for time when I need to be finished by 7-7:15 for school. 

The girl's and I had fun at pickleball, although it will be much more fun when they can more reliable hit the ball and it's not so hot. 

I'm taking the girls to the pool but I don't think I'll swim. Usually this is the kind of thing where Mom's don't swim and honestly with a bunch of kids in the pool it isn't very enjoyable for me and pretty much impossible to do laps even if I wanted to. I'll probably just work on my menu and grocery list.

My body is also enjoying the yoga after much too sporadic of a practice for too long. I kept saying I'd do it on my own and should be able to but I kept skipping it or doing the same thing. I've not taken regular classes in forever and my brain is in a rut. Doing just 10 min I can find the time and following to other's videos is one less thing for me to plan out. I just follow along.

• Like 7

I got my upper body workout in yesterday. 

Ran 5 miles with my run training group this morning. The weather is finally cooling down so it was beautiful out there. Hoping to get a core workout in this afternoon. I’ve got to get back to foam rolling. It’s such a short thing to do but so easy to for go. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

RE: Finding a lost dog: We've both lost and found various dogs over the years. The easiest thing is if there is a phone number on a dog tag, just phone the owner. Once, our dog (without a dog tag and phone#) escaped from our backyard and the finder posted a message on a local Facebook page. My sil saw the post, recognized that it was probably our dog, and texted us. We eventually connected with the finder and picked up our dog. Yay!! That reminds me that I need to get the dog a new dog tag!! 😉 

I was not able to get close enough to this dog to check for a tag/phone number, because I had my (reactive)  dog with me. That normally is my first step. I just like to have a back-up plan in case there is no tag. Unfortunately, by the time I dropped mine at home and went back out to look for this one, he had disappeared. 

Believe it or not, I encountered another wandering dog this morning. My pup had opted out of the morning walk, though, so I was able to follow him. I've discovered that just trailing a dog at a respectful distance will often encourage them to go home, and that's what happened today.

In our last few neighborhoods, I've been that weirdo who knows where all the dogs live, because I end up taking home at least one or two every couple of months. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Walked to and from the vet yesterday afternoon to collect the dog's refill. It's a little over 3K round trip. After work, I finished off the day's steps with one more short walk.

Started this morning with about 4.25K (during which I saw the critter pictured below and thought of you all - I tried to get a pic before he started submerging, but he was too quick for me. I think he was about three or four feet long.). Back home, I did a 20-minute seated upper body Tabata video, followed by 8 minutes of "deskercise."  

I have a hair appointment tonight, so if the weather cooperates, I'll try to park at the far end of the street and incorporate some walking to and from the studio. Then, as usual, another walk in the evening to log any remaining steps. 

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 203.0 of 600k
Walking Streak: 136 days

IMG_20220915_072643798.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Walked to and from the vet yesterday afternoon to collect the dog's refill. It's a little over 3K round trip. After work, I finished off the day's steps with one more short walk.

Started this morning with about 4.25K (during which I saw the critter pictured below and thought of you all - I tried to get a pic before he started submerging, but he was too quick for me. I think he was about three or four feet long.). Back home, I did a 20-minute seated upper body Tabata video, followed by 8 minutes of "deskercise."  

I have a hair appointment tonight, so if the weather cooperates, I'll try to park at the far end of the street and incorporate some walking to and from the studio. Then, as usual, another walk in the evening to log any remaining steps. 

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 203.0 of 600k
Walking Streak: 136 days

IMG_20220915_072643798.jpg

Oh my! That would be a scary sight for me, but y'all down in Florida are really tough! 😉  A black bear sighting in a local town made the news yesterday, and you pass by alligators without batting an eye. 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@Jenny in Florida @wintermom - scary animals. My dog ate a slug and regretted it. That's the limit to the scariness around here.

I took a good walk with a friend at lunchtime.  This evening, my module for this semester starts, so my only exercise will be keeping my eye-lids open.  The sleep retraining is successful so far, but I'm having to move my bedtime earlier very, very slowly.

• Like 6

Feeling great here! I've successfully gone out for a run or walk every weekday this month. I'm trying to follow a C25K progression chart I found and am on week 3. Today I jogged for 2 minutes and walked for 30 seconds. Occasionally I would jog for 3 or 4 minutes instead. I know that I can walk a 5k at a leisurely pace but I want to be able to run for a solid 5k or even 10k without walking. As you can tell, today was the first day I completed that distance. Now, my goal is to keep making that distance but run more and walk less.

image.thumb.png.776b6bfe2f72ca73e86b7c86414156e3.png

• Like 8

PT this morning, which always helps. I was also able to be out yesterday, just to sit outside with two friends. I'm glad the hideous pain of the first week is not as acute.

After I started taking meds, it has been harder to remember to DO the PT on my own each day. So spacey. Thankful for dh to remind me, so it's not a total wash, but I need to be hitting this a lot harder each day.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

PT this morning, which always helps. I was also able to be out yesterday, just to sit outside with two friends. I'm glad the hideous pain of the first week is not as acute.

After I started taking meds, it has been harder to remember to DO the PT on my own each day. So spacey. Thankful for dh to remind me, so it's not a total wash, but I need to be hitting this a lot harder each day.

Dh is struggling with back pain this week--- it is hard to do anything when you are in pain. He's dealing with the spaciness from meds too. Take it easy on yourself, it is hard to do anything when you're in pain, even if it is things that are good for you. I'm glad to hear that you are improving.

13 hours ago, ericathemom said:

Feeling great here! I've successfully gone out for a run or walk every weekday this month. I'm trying to follow a C25K progression chart I found and am on week 3. Today I jogged for 2 minutes and walked for 30 seconds. Occasionally I would jog for 3 or 4 minutes instead. I know that I can walk a 5k at a leisurely pace but I want to be able to run for a solid 5k or even 10k without walking. As you can tell, today was the first day I completed that distance. Now, my goal is to keep making that distance but run more and walk less.

Congrats on completing your training this week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today's plan: Rest Day--- yoga (easy) and walking

Also on the list for today some outdoor jobs. Weeding, detailing the car, and whatever else I see that needs doing and I feel like doing 🙂

Workout related-- I found some tank tops at the thrift store today and a pair of shorts. Shorts with liner and full size pockets! I went into all the big name athletic stores in August looking for shorts with liner and pockets and could not find any whatsoever. I have some old Under Armour ones but they don't make that style anymore. These are from Wal-Mart (although a quick search and I cannot find similar on their website). 

• Like 6

I saw this on my exercise group and thought of you ladies-- this says, "go to the gym" but the same applies to any fitness regime. Keep at it, slow and steady, do what YOU can do, not what you think you should do or others do. Keep on, keeping on ladies! 

f you go to the gym and you workout and you come back, look at the mirror, you will see ‘Nothing’.
If you go to the gym the next day and come back, look at the mirror, you will see…’Nothing’
So clearly there is no results.
Can’t be measured.
It must not be effective so we quit.
OR if you fundamentally believe that this is the right course of action, and stick with it.
You commit yourself to an act of service,
You commit yourself to the regime, the exercise.
You can screw it up.
You can eat chocolate cake one day.
You can skip a day or two.
But if you stick with the consistency, i am not exactly sure what day, but I know you start getting into shape.
Going into the gym for 9 hrs does not get you into shape.
Workingout everyday for 20 min gets you into shape.
It is not about the events, not about intensity.
It is about CONSISTENCY.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Soror said:

Today's plan: Rest Day--- yoga (easy) and walking

Also on the list for today some outdoor jobs. Weeding, detailing the car, and whatever else I see that needs doing and I feel like doing 🙂

Workout related-- I found some tank tops at the thrift store today and a pair of shorts. Shorts with liner and full size pockets! I went into all the big name athletic stores in August looking for shorts with liner and pockets and could not find any whatsoever. I have some old Under Armour ones but they don't make that style anymore. These are from Wal-Mart (although a quick search and I cannot find similar on their website). 

Enjoy your rest day!

Finding ladies shorts with pockets is definitely a challenge I've been facing for years. I need pockets for holding extra tennis balls. Lately, I found Columbia climbing shorts with pockets and Under Armor ladies basketball shorts with pockets. Neither have liners, but they are fairly long in length so liners are needed (at least for my purposes). Good luck on your quest!! 

• Like 4

Mixed doubles tennis was really fun yesterday, as was the walk with friends. I started a separate thread about some weird joint pain I've been experiencing possibly linked to seasonal allergies. It's weird that after two months of high levels of activity, I'm feeling join pain now that my activity is more moderate. Hopefully things will revert back to normal when the temps getting colder.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy your rest day!

Finding ladies shorts with pockets is definitely a challenge I've been facing for years. I need pockets for holding extra tennis balls. Lately, I found Columbia climbing shorts with pockets and Under Armor ladies basketball shorts with pockets. Neither have liners, but they are fairly long in length so liners are needed (at least for my purposes). Good luck on your quest!! 

The tennis team mostly wears skorts with shorts underneath them (most of them wear lululemon). They just pop the balls under the short part I think. It amazes me to watch how fast the put them up and pull them out. On dd's team they have to wear something that will hold balls but I noticed not all the teams make the girls do that which I find odd.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy your rest day!

As a walker, I need pockets large enough to carry my phone and keys and (when I walk alone on trails or anywhere outside the neighborhood) my ID and a credit card. (After a couple of times when I fell and injured myself, my husband started insisting that I carry the ID and a card, just in case.) I will buy only leggings or shorts with usable pockets, but it is tough to find them.

I have a couple of pairs of shorts I bought several years ago at JC Penney's that I'm still wearing, even though they are now a couple of sizes too large, just because I love the length and the pockets.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Soror said:

The tennis team mostly wears skorts with shorts underneath them (most of them wear lululemon). They just pop the balls under the short part I think. It amazes me to watch how fast the put them up and pull them out. On dd's team they have to wear something that will hold balls but I noticed not all the teams make the girls do that which I find odd.

I hate fishing out balls from underneath a short/skirt, especially when I'm all hot and sweaty. I also don't love putting dirty balls up my clothing and directly against my skin. Ick!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't get as much walking as I hoped to and from the hair salon last night, because I ran late leaving home/work and had to park as close as I could to make my appointment. I did walk around a bit after, but then had to scoot home to do my school reading. By the time my husband's gaming friends left and my eyes were bleary and I was ready for an activity break, it was pouring outside. So, I rode the stationary bike for about 50 minutes to knock out the remaining "steps."

Started today with about 4.25K walking, then home for strength and stretching. I apparently did something to my right shoulder at some point yesterday, and it was quite sore last night and this morning. So, I spent the first several minutes on the exercise mat today just gently stretching. Followed that with a hot shower, and the combination seems to have helped.

I have two assignments due for one class by midnight tonight, so my after-work hours are mostly claimed tonight. I'll try to fit in another walk or some stationary biking time at some point before I conk out.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 221.7 of 600k
Walking Streak: 137 days

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I didn't get as much walking as I hoped to and from the hair salon last night, because I ran late leaving home/work and had to park as close as I could to make my appointment. I did walk around a bit after, but then had to scoot home to do my school reading. By the time my husband's gaming friends left and my eyes were bleary and I was ready for an activity break, it was pouring outside. So, I rode the stationary bike for about 50 minutes to knock out the remaining "steps."

Started today with about 4.25K walking, then home for strength and stretching. I apparently did something to my right shoulder at some point yesterday, and it was quite sore last night and this morning. So, I spent the first several minutes on the exercise mat today just gently stretching. Followed that with a hot shower, and the combination seems to have helped.

I have two assignments due for one class by midnight tonight, so my after-work hours are mostly claimed tonight. I'll try to fit in another walk or some stationary biking time at some point before I conk out.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 221.7 of 600k
Walking Streak: 137 days

Way to go, keeping up with the physical activity along with working full-time and in grad studies!! That's so impressive. How are you enjoying the courses this term? Are you happy with the content, etc. of the program? Hope it's satisfying your needs and hopes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Way to go, keeping up with the physical activity along with working full-time and in grad studies!! That's so impressive. How are you enjoying the courses this term? Are you happy with the content, etc. of the program? Hope it's satisfying your needs and hopes.

Thanks for the encouragement! 

I am enjoying one class (the foundations of research one) quite a bit, but Motivation for Learning and Performance is not my favorite academic experience. The content is valuable, but there's a certain tone to the delivery that I'm finding really grating. It's a foundational course for the program, taught by the head of the program and everyone's default advisor, so it's important that I do well, but I'm kind of gritting my teeth through a lot of the assignments. 

• Like 3

@Jenny in Florida do you remember if the paint was oil based or water based? I'm stuck using oil based as that was what was recommended to me for the kitchen and I didn't know the nightmare to deal with it because you have to find a special way to dispose of it. So far we have some used paint thinner poured into a glass jar with lid. I need to find a container of sorts to store used paper towels. Then when I'm done I'll ask my landlord if he has a way to get rid of the stuff. Our area is not recycle friendly (the only place I've heard of around here takes cardboard) and even some of the big cities only have an annual drop off -- and you have to be a resident of their area. I guess they can check car tag or ID. 

My dad went back home and the section he painted is dry but needs a second coat. It feels like the never ending project. My kitchen is in disarray and I've been stepping over a folding table that is blocking the kitchen entrance because my cat will go in there otherwise and run through the open cabinet doors. Technically she could hop over the table, but she hasn't. She can't see where she would land so probably decided not to risk it. Dd was here last night and part of this morning so tonight I will try to resume painting when she's not here to smell it. 

I have just broke even the past few days on weight. One day I finished my afternoon at the office after doing a few of the magazine deliveries so I ate fast food for late lunch. But I didn't eat the full meal and when I got home I poured some of the soda out. I might buy a second thermos as I need more water when I'm out. I took my thermos of water plus a disposable water bottle and cooler bag as a temp solution. 

I do try to wear my pants a little higher on the waist but they slide down under my muffin top/love handles during the day. Some of my pants are made by Nine West from Kohl's and have the built in elastic band that is supposed to help smooth the tummy area (I have these in denim and dress slacks). Last weekend I wore my white shirt with black polka dots and didn't feel like a whale. The last time I had tried it on I looked terrible and didn't wear it. I hope to lose ~25 more pounds this calendar year. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@Jenny in Florida do you remember if the paint was oil based or water based? I'm stuck using oil based as that was what was recommended to me for the kitchen and I didn't know the nightmare to deal with it because you have to find a special way to dispose of it. So far we have some used paint thinner poured into a glass jar with lid. I need to find a container of sorts to store used paper towels.

Oh dear. I used water-based, because that's what I saw recommended in the many YouTube videos I watched before I felt brave enough to try the project. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Oh dear. I used water-based, because that's what I saw recommended in the many YouTube videos I watched before I felt brave enough to try the project. 

I used water based on the baseboards in the bedrooms, but for the kitchen because of oils, spills they suggest oil-based. Yours came out really nice. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I used water based on the baseboards in the bedrooms, but for the kitchen because of oils, spills they suggest oil-based. Yours came out really nice. 

That makes sense. I haven't decided yet whether to paint the cabinets (and countertops) in our kitchen or just replace them. I keep stalling on deciding what to do about the kitchen because it feels like such a big project, and it's such an obvious and visible part of the house. The bathrooms feel so much more manageable as DIYs. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how your kitchen turns out!

• Like 3