Menu

Well-trained bodies - September

Laura Corin

oh my gosh, I feel like an idiot. Please someone clear this up for me. So, my dad kept saying we had to use thinner to clean the brushes because it was oil paint. But when I read the back of the can it says "water and soap cleanup." What does that even mean? For cleaning the brushes? In the directions fine print it says once cabinets are fully dry you may wipe them down with soapy water... so I don't know if the  "soap and water cleanup" is referencing cleaning them off if you spill food in the kitchen or cleaning the paint brushes. I googled and I'm starting to wonder if this formula has the ability to be cleaned without paint thinner.

This is the paint type: Valspar paint

If I can use soap and water that will make things soooo much easier. Tonight I painted a second coat over most of the areas my dad did and I painted a first coat over the areas covered in primer. I realized we forgot to primer this hard to reach area under the cabinets. I'll do that later. But basically everything that I say I'll do "later" will need to be done before I put the doors back on. 

I'm gonna hop on the bike for a bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

I ran 12 miles this morning. The weather was lovely mid 60’s and low humidity. We started at 5:30 and we’re able to catch a beautiful sun rise over the ocean. 

Gorgeous and wonderful weather for running. Seems like you are already ready for your half!

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

30 min on treadmill yesterday, yoga for courage today. Just me and dd this weekend. Weekend time still feeling abundant if not quite infinite (as it often feels on a Friday afternoon.) I have much I want to get done, both for school and home. We'll see how that pans out.

May you get your whole list done 🙂 I usually do the same. I only got 1 of the 3 things I planned done yesterday but as it goes that thing took longer than I expected.

13 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok you don't need thinner to clean it. 
Not sure if anything with paint on it (like a paper towel) needs to go to special waste or just things with thinner.

https://porchdaydreamer.com/valspar-cabinet-furniture-enamel-review/

She does recommend using primer so I guess that wasn't a total waste of time. 

You used oil based for the house and didn't use thinner to clean it. fwiw

• Like 2

Ugh. Yesterday was yet another day when I did not meet my step goal. I had a very busy day with work and didn't really stand up from my chair for longer than it took to grab food, take the dog outside or use the restroom until close to 6:00. With the weight of two school assignments that had to be turned in before midnight hanging over my head -- and stormy, wet weather outside -- I couldn't get out for a walk of any length. So, I just paced/jogged up and down the entryway and living room for about 30 minutes and then went back to my desk.

I hoped/assumed I would manage to squeeze out another 30-40 minutes to get outside for a real walk, but I didn't hit "submit" on the second assignment until 11:30, at which point all I could manage was sitting on the couch and watching a couple of episodes of Monk.

I walked about 2.5K this morning before heading to yoga. Normally, I get another 2K+ walking from my car to the end of the boardwalk and back. However, because the weather was iffy today, the yoga teacher moved us to a more covered location that also happens to be closer the the parking lot. (View from the patio at the nature preserve museum below.) I briefly thought I might do a quick walk along the trail that runs in front of the preserve, but we had a new range being delivered, and I had received a message letting me know they were running early. I wanted to be sure I was home to help wrangle the pets while strangers came into the house. So, I opted to go straight home, which leaves with more steps to do later in the day.

I need to devote a lot more sitting-in-my-chair time today and tomorrow to reading and assignments for my other class. But I am determined to take breaks and get my steps for both days.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 226.9 of 600K
Walking Streak: 138 days

IMG_20220917_091745623_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

I did the 2 classes today--- 30 ish min-- bootcamp-- cardio

It went well my friend and I both enjoyed it and would like to go back. At most I only want to do once a week as I am full up on other exercise I do at home and I don't want that much cardio. I'm thinking maybe every Friday or Saturday or every other one. The lady was very encouraging, sometimes a bit much. I don't need much these days. I do this for me and usually push myself as hard as I need to go BUT I'd rather have nice and encouraging than the mean, encouraging type. I'm used to shorter duration HIIT so this was different as it was 1 min on/break -- 1 min on. Each station for 4 min 2 different exercises per station. So, we started with pushing and pulling each other on the sleigh (the hardest station), then cardio variety-- jumping jacks, mountain climbers, next 1 min jog/ 1 min walk, bear crawl and hop back, next zig zag run and reg run, ended with skaters and sit to squat jump. 

Then-- 1 hr yoga---

This was perfect for me-- lots of nice stretching. Just what I needed but unfortunately she's changing the time to afternoon and I'm not sure if that will work for me. We'll see. It was the right balance of taking the time in the stretch without being too slow I'm bored.

Working outside the rest of the day. Heaven help me with the allergies. I had just gotten over mowing on Sunday and then all my time outside yesterday cleaning the car and my nose is snotty again, not quite as bad as the grass is def worse for it but it still really jacked up my sleep and I can feel the drainage down my throat. And now another weekend outside working. Sigh. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

You used oil based for the house and didn't use thinner to clean it. fwiw

No, that was a huge bucket of water based paint my landlord had me use for the baseboards inside. The primer is also water based. 

I see what my dad meant now. The crown molding goes all the way around. Do I go ahead and paint it above the cabinets where the molding seams are? Just from corner of cabinets to other corner of cabinets? 

Landlord dropped off a ladder but I wanted the step stool. This ladder is very wobbly so I don’t feel comfortable on it.  

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

No, that was a huge bucket of water based paint my landlord had me use for the baseboards inside. The primer is also water based. 

I see what my dad meant now. The crown molding goes all the way around. Do I go ahead and paint it above the cabinets where the molding seams are? Just from corner of cabinets to other corner of cabinets? 

Landlord dropped off a ladder but I wanted the step stool. This ladder is very wobbly so I don’t feel comfortable on it.  

image.png

I would paint it. That sets that area apart as its own room. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We did not end up working outside. Dh has been having trouble with his back and it flared up again. He's tried the chiro, no help. He's going to have to go to the dr. He's never had it bother him so long and no idea what triggered it. He's feeling pretty bad so I don't think we'll end up working on the shop today, but I have a couple of tasks I never finished Friday to do.  

Today's plan: 10 min yoga/ Day 15 -- Epic 3 Badass Burpee Dumbell Cardio -- walk

pickleball? girls are dying to play so maybe I'll take them in for a bit this am (before it gets hot)

I started Epic 3 last fall and did the first 3 weeks except the cardio/hiit day. At that point, I'd switched thyroid meds and still hadn't got the dosing right, plus I was dealing with allergies. So, I dropped it for some easier series. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and try it again this fall, at least until Caroline comes out with a new series (whenever that is).

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Soror said:

We did not end up working outside. Dh has been having trouble with his back and it flared up again. He's tried the chiro, no help. He's going to have to go to the dr. He's never had it bother him so long and no idea what triggered it. He's feeling pretty bad so I don't think we'll end up working on the shop today, but I have a couple of tasks I never finished Friday to do.  

Today's plan: 10 min yoga/ Day 15 -- Epic 3 Badass Burpee Dumbell Cardio -- walk

pickleball? girls are dying to play so maybe I'll take them in for a bit this am (before it gets hot)

I started Epic 3 last fall and did the first 3 weeks except the cardio/hiit day. At that point, I'd switched thyroid meds and still hadn't got the dosing right, plus I was dealing with allergies. So, I dropped it for some easier series. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and try it again this fall, at least until Caroline comes out with a new series (whenever that is).

So sorry about your dh's back pain. I hope he can get some relief soon.

That's awesome you are able to play pickle ball with your dds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

So sorry about your dh's back pain. I hope he can get some relief soon.

That's awesome you are able to play pickle ball with your dds. 

Thanks we had a good time. It was already hot by the time we got out there so we only played about 1.25 hours. I played DD1 some in tennis while we were there. Actually got a few serves in bound :). The racket is so much different than the pickleball paddle but I think some of the skills transfer.

It's going to be blazing hot the next few days, up to 97. I won't be playing pickleball in that heat but poor DD has tennis matches the next 3 days. I'm hoping I get to play pickleball on Thursday as it's supposed to cool down to 85 then. I posted on the group page for the first time. I'm really hoping there are others that want to play. My dd's enjoy playing but my youngest especially can't hardly hit so it's hard to keep it going. They are improving but isn't much practice for my skills except serving.

I had a great session of tennis this morning. Tomorrow I'm playing tennis twice. I really hope my body holds up.  

Good luck! Do you have a foam roller? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Thanks we had a good time. It was already hot by the time we got out there so we only played about 1.25 hours. I played DD1 some in tennis while we were there. Actually got a few serves in bound :). The racket is so much different than the pickleball paddle but I think some of the skills transfer.

It's going to be blazing hot the next few days, up to 97. I won't be playing pickleball in that heat but poor DD has tennis matches the next 3 days. I'm hoping I get to play pickleball on Thursday as it's supposed to cool down to 85 then. I posted on the group page for the first time. I'm really hoping there are others that want to play. My dd's enjoy playing but my youngest especially can't hardly hit so it's hard to keep it going. They are improving but isn't much practice for my skills except serving.

Good luck! Do you have a foam roller? 

Hope you get to play on Thursday! 

A foam roller won't help the body parts that will be sore - my elbow and shoulder. I may have the start of tennis elbow. I'm hoping that rest will help. I'll avoid playing too much until next Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hope you get to play on Thursday! 

A foam roller won't help the body parts that will be sore - my elbow and shoulder. I may have the start of tennis elbow. I'm hoping that rest will help. I'll avoid playing too much until next Saturday.

Ice is your friend. For the elbow I'd go with dipping into a bowl of cool water with a cup of ice added. Water conducts temperature beautifully, so this is really effective. 

For the shoulder, consider getting a for-the-shoulder fitted ice pack with nifty straps. It makes such a difference when you can mold the ice pack on and it stays where you put it.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Ice is your friend. For the elbow I'd go with dipping into a bowl of cool water with a cup of ice added. Water conducts temperature beautifully, so this is really effective. 

For the shoulder, consider getting a for-the-shoulder fitted ice pack with nifty straps. It makes such a difference when you can mold the ice pack on and it stays where you put it.

It actually didn't hurt much at all today. It was a slower paced match. I just rubbed a little Voltaren onto the elbow area. Shoulder is fine. 

• Like 4

I spent most of yesterday glued to my desk chair working on school stuff. (It turned out there was a third assignment due for the first class, plus the quiz and assignment due for the other one.) I did pry myself out of the chair at some point in the evening and go for a solid 5K walk to stretch my legs, rest my brain and knock out the remaining steps for the day. I was rewarded with some views of a really pretty sky (pic below). Then, it was back to the desk until a little after 1:00AM. 

Started this morning with the usual 4K+ around the neighborhood, after which my husband and I did what we intended to be a "quick trip" to WDW to do a little shopping at one of the Epcot shops. We ended up making a full loop of the park and riding the Skyliner over to explore one of the newer resort hotels, all of which meant I had exceeded my steps for the day before we got home shortly after 2:00. 

I've been back at my desk for the last few hours, but have now officially submitted everything due this week. At some point, once it's cooler outside, I'll probably wrangle the dog into another walk, just for the sake of getting outside and maintaining our routine.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 236.4 of 600K
Walking Streak: 139 days

IMG_20220917_192948786.jpg

• Like 7

Sorry that I'm a bit absent at present.  Still nursing my knee and fine-tuning my sleep. Not much exercise to report - no interesting hikes.

On Saturday I had an audiology appointment in a nearby city.  As Husband had the car to take Hobbes back to university, I took the bus over and decided to walk from the bus station to the appointment.  I completely forgot that this was straight up a steep hill, and once I started I didn't have time to find the local bus route and wait for a bus.  I should have twigged that it was going to be steep: Google Maps had me walking up 'Constitution Road', which - as the UK doesn't have a written constitution - usually means a road used for taking 'constitutionals', i.e., exercise.  Not the best for my knee, but I made it in time.   I ended up with 20,000 steps in all.

Sunday was a complete rest day - I can't remember the last time I did so little exercise.

Today is a Bank Holiday.  I've done a good yoga session, will settle down to brush the dog in front of the preamble to the funeral coverage on the telly (Queen-appropriate activity, I've decided) then will probably walk this afternoon.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

@Jenny in Floridabeautiful sunset

@wintermom aha, that kind of pain. Hopefully, some days off will take care of that.

@Laura Corin sorry to hear your knee is still aching and sleep still ironing out. Sounds like a rest day was needed after that unplanned excursion. I find I need lazy days, depending on how I'm doing more or less of them.

---------------------------------------------------

Still didn't get my other outside tasks done. I was fairly busy and I am avoiding them 🙂  But by golly maybe today's the day? (or maybe it will wait until it cools back down)

Today: Epic 3 - Day 16 Shoulders /upper body strength training+ 10 ish min yoga + walk

• Like 4

After so much time parked in my desk chair over the weekend, I just felt stiff and sore last night, so I decided to do a short yoga video before heading out for a slow-ish ramble with the dog. I ended the day with more than enough steps to "make up" for the day earlier this week when I fell short of my goal.

Started this morning with the usual 4K+ walk, followed by a good 30 minutes of strength and stretching on the patio accompanied by all three of my beasties. One of the cats wandered inside after a little while, but the other one seemed to think we should just spend the whole day out there.

No specific exercise plans for the remainder of the day, other than making sure I reach my 15,000 step goal.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 236.4 of 600K
Walking Streak: 139 days

IMG_20220919_083219984_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Dog walk yesterday evening, dog walk this morning. I only logged 21 min this morning, so I'll need a bit more something...maybe a walk with dd after school.

I last did a morning dog walk about a month ago. It is now completely dark--got back a little after 6:00am and still no sign of the sun. Reminded me that we're about at equinox and our days start getting shorter than our nights. I don't like walking in the dark--don't feel completely safe. But I did have a nice starry sky with a great view of Orion's belt and Betelgeuse. Off to work early today--need to make copies and laminate some stuff.

• Like 6

PT stuff today, but no walk. I did more lifting/carrying today than I have done in the last month, and I woke up the left-side pain but not nearly as badly as feared. I think I am good to keep doing PT, keep trying to do more of the regular everyday stuff, along with plenty of ice. Also a guy at church was rhapsodizing to me about how lifechanging a tilt table has been for his back pain. We actually have one originally bought for dh but I've been kind of scared to try it. That's my goal for tomorrow, I guess. 

• Like 6

@wintermom I'm glad your elbow feels better

@Jenny in Florida is that a screened in porch? I sometimes wish I had one or a "catio" for my cat. 

@Laura Corin how much longer til the sleep is at your goal? How many hours are you getting now?

@hshibley you casually say how much you've done and my jaw drops LOL 

@Ali in OR I don't want to walk in the dark, either. I got up early today but it was so dark. 

@Soror it sounds like you've made strides with pickleball. I'm glad you've been able to make time. My dad visited recently and he went to play when I was home working. It just hasn't been practical for me to go play. 

Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

I haven't given exercise much attention due to other things going on. I noticed in church sitting in a hard pew the other day that my tailbone was still not 100% but it usually doesn't bother me anymore. I hurt my left lower leg a little bit I think from hopping off the step ladder (seriously? Now I feel old). Aside from a tiny ledge or two I'll recoat, I'm all done painting!! Later tonight it will have been dry for 24 hours so I can attach the cabinet doors. I may or may not need assistance holding the door and ratchet screwdriver. The little areas I need to paint don't touch where the cabinet doors/drawers go. 

I had to focus on a work deadline and the painting and a homemade costume for dd recently so I just felt overwhelmed. 

This morning I went for a walk outdoors and saw a deer! It ran across a neighbor's yard. I was confused but decided it must be because there are sections of woods between some of the homes. I didn't get a photo of the deer, but on the walk back I heard a noise and saw a horse in another neighbor's yard. I mean I didn't think my neighborhood was this country lol. 

May be an image of horse, nature and grass

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@Jenny in Florida is that a screened in porch? I sometimes wish I had one or a "catio" for my cat. 

Yes, a screened patio was one of my requirements when we went house hunting. We had one at the last house we rented, but the windows/screening were in such bad condition that I never felt safe having the cats outside. A cat who got enthralled with a lizard or squirrel would have gone right through.

When we bought this house, it didn't have a patio at all, let alone a screened one, so we had one added. It's larger than any screened patio I've had before, and we had them put up the extra-strong screening. I still don't leave animals out there unsupervised, but it's lovely to be able to go out there to exercise in the morning and let the dog and cats explore and soak up the sunshine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Between work and school, I did it to myself again yesterday, left more than half my step count for the day until the evening. Fortunately, the dog opted out of accompanying me on my walk, so I was able to keep up a quicker and more consistent pace for the almost 5K I needed. 

My schedule this morning was compressed again by a doctor's appointment for which I had to drive across town and check in by 8:15. I managed only a little over 3K of walking and about 15 minutes of somewhat random strength and stretching. I have yoga tonight, so all is not lost on the exercise front, but I will need to be contentious about getting the steps in before and/or after class.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 250.2 of 600K
Walking Streak: 141 days

• Like 6

@heartlikealion I  am currently managing a sleep window of about 6 1/2 to 7 hours. I'm going to bed at 11 and waking before six. At least I'm not up in the night. I've tried a few times to go to sleep earlier, but it caused my wakeup to be earlier too. My ideal would be 10.30 to 6.30 - I definitely have a sleep deficit right now. I'll keep trying to adjust.

Today- early morning yoga then a walk after work.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Yes, a screened patio was one of my requirements when we went house hunting. We had one at the last house we rented, but the windows/screening were in such bad condition that I never felt safe having the cats outside. A cat who got enthralled with a lizard or squirrel would have gone right through.

When we bought this house, it didn't have a patio at all, let alone a screened one, so we had one added. It's larger than any screened patio I've had before, and we had them put up the extra-strong screening. I still don't leave animals out there unsupervised, but it's lovely to be able to go out there to exercise in the morning and let the dog and cats explore and soak up the sunshine.

We also love our screened porch. It was not a requirement for us when we were househunting, just a happy accident. We now call it our million dollar room because it's the best place in the house. Shady and cool with the beautiful woods in the back. 

One of my dearest friends lives in northern Florida, and we are completely enamored with the Florida screen rooms we see all over her neighborhood. 

If ever we move, a screen room is something we will definitely seek.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

That looks so fresh and pretty!

Thanks. I felt like I needed to do this for my mental health… kitchen feels so much less chaotic now. I’ll eventually finish my kitchen curtains. I keep getting side tracked. The fabric has some yellow which will compliment the yellow shelves touching the peninsula. I need to do a second coat on one piece where I left the painter’s tape. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Thanks. I felt like I needed to do this for my mental health… kitchen feels so much less chaotic now. I’ll eventually finish my kitchen curtains. I keep getting side tracked. The fabric has some yellow which will compliment the yellow shelves touching the peninsula. I need to do a second coat on one piece where I left the painter’s tape. 

It looks fantastic! You did a really nice job! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@heartlikealionNice job! I know that was a lot of work, but it looks so good and makes a very pleasant room.

I'm doing my mocha first, then 30 min of some cardio video yet to be chosen. I got a little walk with dd yesterday too, but today I'm sending dh. The idea of foster care is that I'm NOT there every day but they're so short staffed that I try to get there at their dinner time. I can feed dd and free up the caregiver plus get my dd outside for a bit while we still have nice days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I walked a little bit before my yoga class last night, did yoga, then came home and collected the dog for a longer walk to finish the day's steps. Yoga was a little more intense than usual, and I actually lost my balance and fell over while transitioning from a floor pose to standing. Fortunately, because I had started on the floor, I didn't have too far down to go.

Started this morning with a solid 4.5K walk, followed by 30-ish minutes of strength and stretching on the patio.

More walking later, assuming the weather cooperates.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 259.8 of 600K
Walking Streak: 142 days

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I walked a little bit before my yoga class last night, did yoga, then came home and collected the dog for a longer walk to finish the day's steps. Yoga was a little more intense than usual, and I actually lost my balance and fell over while transitioning from a floor pose to standing. Fortunately, because I had started on the floor, I didn't have too far down to go.

Started this morning with a solid 4.5K walk, followed by 30-ish minutes of strength and stretching on the patio.

More walking later, assuming the weather cooperates.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 259.8 of 600K
Walking Streak: 142 days

aw I hope you are okay.

When I walk I think of you a lot with your big step goals. It definitely helps to start the day with a walk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1