Menu

Hit me with your best soup recipes

Drama Llama

My FIL has covid, and my PTSD is pretty triggered, so I am cooking.  I figure with a sore throat and the importance of hydration it’s time for soup.

So far I sent @Tree Frog‘s Thai curry Brussels sprout soup, and a variation on this aptly named Feel Better Soup .  My SIL sent minestrone and aquadito de pescado.  I figure we did good considering he’s only been sick  24 hours! 

What should I make next?  

Also, any strategies on soup for paxlovid and covid?  Spicy?  Mild? Smooth?  Chunky?  

There is an entire thread on soups here.i love a version of the red lentil one from NY Times cooking (do not omit the fresh cilantro and lemon squeeze at the end) as well as a white bean/sausage/kale soup. 
bone broth always from bones…and ginger and turmeric root thrown on.

lots of garlic. Etc .

My healthiest go-to is vegetable soup. Throw a bunch of vegetables in a pot and cover with water. Make sure you also include an onion and a potato. For illness, I throw in garlic as well. Bring to a boil, then simmer until everything is soft. Puree until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. (The potato starch is what gives it the right texture.) 

My other favorite specifically when I'm ill is Greek Egg-Lemon soup:

Boil and then simmer together--

8 c. chicken broth

1/2 c. lemon juice

salt and pepper

1 shredded carrot

1/2 cup orzo OR rice (I do rice because I am gluten free.)

When carrots and orzo/rice are tender, in a separate bowl whisk together four egg yolks. Then drizzle in a cup of chicken broth slowly while whisking eggs briskly. Once fully incorporated, drizzle egg/broth mixture slowly into soup pot while stirring or whisking vigorously. (Result should be a velvety, emulsified creaminess NOT bits of scrambled egg floating in the broth.)

Add 1 cup chopped chicken. Warm through but do not boil.

(I'll be honest, I pay no attention at all to amounts when I cook this. I just put in what looks and feels right, so I think my soup ends up with more chicken or rice. And sometimes I cook down minced onion in the broth as well.)

• Like 1

I've made this several times and it's always a hit:

https://iowagirleats.com/smoked-sausage-white-bean-and-spinach-soup/

(I usually add TWO cans of great northern beans, a cup and a half of sliced carrots, a whole bag of spinach, and a little white wine for flavor. ;-).  I don't worry about the Parmesan cheese -- if I have it I add it, but it doesn't make or break it.  Add a little more water if necessary.)

P.S.  My 94-year-old dad just got over Covid.  (And then I got it from him! 😜)  He did really well--  He got the antibody infusion which apparently works similarly to Paxlovid.  Anything warm and liquidy tasted good to him. 

Edited by J-rap

In our house, we make Chloe's Virus Killing Chicken Soup. I usually add more garlic with the veggies. I can never have enough garlic!

I hope your FIL recovers quickly! I might make some because we're on our second week of public school and a bunch of students are out already with Covid as are at least 3 teachers, all in my wing.

Cover with water or broth and cook until chicken falls apart. Strain out broth and chicken:

1 chicken

15-30 cloves of garlic, crushed

1 T salt

3-4 sprigs thyme

cayenne pepper, rosemary sprigs, and black pepper to taste

Cook in oil till onion is transparent. Add wine and simmer 3-4 min. Cover with broth from chicken, adding more broth as needed. Simmer veggies til tender.

1 lg onion

1 fennel bulb

1 thinly sliced leek

4-6 stalks of celery

1 large coarsely chopped red pepper

.5-1 lb coarsely chopped carrots

2 T ovile oil

.5 c shite wine, white grape juice, etc.

Add at some point

frozen green beans, parboiled

frozen peas

zucchini

flat leaf parsley, chopped

1-2 cans of chopped tomatoes with juice

any other veggies left in fridge

chicken

Can also add rice or noodles, but it's better to add these the second day since they absorb so much liquid.

Edited by Tree Frog
Cabbage. I forgot to say you can also add cabbage!

I make weekly (hearty) soup here, but use what I've got in the pantry & refrig to start with.

1)   Most casserole, pizza and sandwich recipes can be made into soups (like Philly Cheesesteak).

2)  Basic Soup Ingredients:  Protein (meat/fish/beans), Carb (rice/noodles), Vegetables, Flavoring.
    And then a broth/liquid of your choice.

3)  Add a muffin, bread, or roll  (or a salad).

Have fun getting your FIL interested in the process!