Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW35: September Crime Spree - Police Procedurals

Robin M

Happy Sunday!  September is upon us and our newest crime spree category brought to us by Sandy and Amy is all about Police Procedurals. 

We love to watch Police Procedural which is a genre popular not only in mystery books but also TV (for example… Law and Order has continuously been on since 1990). The genre lends itself well to series, which means fans will have plenty of books to read.

Authors to explore:

·         Val McDermid – multiple great series

·         Ann Cleeves—Vera Stanhope is her classic detective

·         Tana French – Dublin Murder squad

·         Karin Slaughter – Will Trent is her best-known series

·         Ian Rankin – writes the long-running Inspector Rebus series

·         Peter Lovesey – multiple series but Peter Diamond is one of his most famous

·         Faye Kellerman – Sandy particularly recommends the Peter Decker series

Challenge: Read a Police Procedural mystery and consider it “research.”

Our A to Z and Back Again letter and word of the week are R and Resourcefulness

Link to book week 34

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini, and perpetual challenges.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love police procedurals and there are so many to choose from.  

Currently reading Patricia Brigg's Soul Taken and Mercy is being put through the ringer with this one.  I feel like I should go back and reread the series again at some point.  

"The vampire Wulfe is missing. Since he’s deadly, possibly insane, and his current idea of “fun” is stalking me, some may see it as no great loss. But, warned that his disappearance might bring down the carefully constructed alliances that keep our pack safe, my mate and I must find Wulfe—and hope he’s still alive. As alive as a vampire can be, anyway.  

But Wulfe isn’t the only one who has disappeared. And now there are bodies, too. Has the Harvester returned to the Tri-Cities, reaping souls with his cursed sickle? Or is he just a character from a B horror movie and our enemy is someone else?  

The farther I follow Wulfe’s trail, the more twisted—and darker—the path becomes. I need to figure out what’s going on before the next body on the ground is mine."

• Like 5

Thank you, Robin!  I’m looking forward to reading the new Patricia Briggs.  Glad you are enjoying it!

I started the new Laura Griffin last night which is a police procedual.  Shadow Fall is number 10 in her Tracers serspies which I have read completely out of order and always enjoy.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25111058-shadow-fall

• Like 5

Some bookish posts from Reddit ~

Any artists here?

mom painted a bookshelf of the books she read during the pandemic

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.reddit.com/r/bookshelf/comments/wpwwd7/mom_painted_a_bookshelf_of_the_books_she_read/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjb2v6l0tn5AhUtFzQIHdBmDf8QFnoECAcQAg&usg=AOvVaw3T2BilylFzuF-ch9LxgE-y

I highly recommend finding a big old used bookstore and spending a couple hours in the fantasy section.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/w08sy4/i_highly_recommend_finding_a_big_old_used/

Books that romanticize books?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/rq7ypk/books_that_romanticize_books/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! 

I finished a couple books last week: Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1) by Vivian Shaw. Dr. Greta Helsing is a doctor to vampires, werewolves, and other undead beings in modern-day London.  A series of unusual murders within the paranormal community has her investigating the crimes. Interesting premise and I want to listen to the next one (there are 3 in the series so far).

The Cabinets of Barnaby Mayne by Elsa Hart. Barnaby Mayne is a revered collector of scientific objects and curiosities living in 1703 London. Our protagonist, Lady Cecily Kay, is visiting him to consult on her botanical specimens when Sir Barnaby is murdered. I enjoyed the mystery and found it  refreshing to read a story set in that time period.

• Like 4

I finished Soul Taken by Patricia Briggs, and plan to listen to it again while shuffling kids around this week.  It was wonderful! I also finished Paladin's Kiss, Elemental Covenant book 3, by Elizabeth Hunter.  All the characters we love from the Elemental World brought together for a wedding.

It’s the vampire wedding of the century… and maybe the end of an empire.

The upper echelons of immortal society have gathered in New Orleans, all of them curious to witness the joining of Gavin Wallace, the immortal business mogul, to the human woman who captured his heart. But behind the facade of immortal revelry, New Orleans is a city teeming with old rivalries, political maneuvering, and twisted secrets. 

Invited to the marriage ceremony of their two old friends, Carwyn ap Bryn and Brigid Connor venture south, ready to relax in the company of Marie-Hélène Charmont, the vampire queen of the Delta, and four hundred of her esteemed immortal guests.

But when Gavin asks Brigid and Carwyn to look into a mysterious man stalking his human employees, they’re unprepared for the tangled web of deception they uncover. Tug on the wrong string and centuries-old alliances might fall apart.

In a tenuously balanced society full of apex predators, even one slip can prove disastrous.

I added the audiobook Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin to my TBR pile.  

• Like 6

On 8/26/2022 at 5:46 PM, Storygirl said:

I loved Wind in the Willows when I was young, but I haven't reread it in recent decades. I read it many times, as a kid, actually, because we owned it, and I reread all of the books we owned, because I always had to be reading something, and we didn't go to the library often enough.

I feel like this is a big difference between my childhood and my kids -- there are so many books I read just because that was the only thing available.  

I have read Patricia Briggs new book and Ilona Andrews new book -- definitely a good week 😁

• Like 8

I read the Touchstone series this week (recommended here). I wondered if I'd get past the first book -- I often fall out of love with series mid-set -- but I enjoyed all five.

I also read All Wound Up by Stephanie Pearl McPhee -- which had me laughing out loud and waking my husband up. Pretty much pure enjoyment of her humor and knitting and family stories.

I also really enjoyed The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate. Made the Outer Banks come alive a bit, and lovely use of language and foreshadowing. I will read more by this author!

No more gout this week, and I am ready to start walking again after a month off babying my feet. Hurrah!

• Like 6

Hello to everyone here, and thank you to @Robin M for another great baw thread.

A police procedural that has a few of my favourite titles in amongst the series is the D.C. Smith series by Peter Grainger on audiobook.  Warning though, some of the books are very gritty in places, and can be quite violent (well, they are for me 🙂).

Hoping it's okay to random book topic chit-chat first, and then post books read next….

Dh’s birthday and Father’s Day are back to back for our family this weekend – we’re so looking forward to his birthday as it includes a day away from work and our self-build and to go riffling through second-hand and antique shops: while he browses for treasures, I’ll hunt for books.

Two of my more recent finds in a second-hand bookshop, that are really hard to source here in NZ and at a reasonable price, were two Georgette Heyer books I’ve been wanting  to read through:  The Great Roxhythe , and, Helen.  Neither book is wildly popular, she supressed them both during her life time, yet they are would-like-to-reads works for a Heyer fan like myself.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

Updating with my book run since my last check-in, week 30.   I’m hoping to get back here later in the week to go back through the threads and catch up on what you’ve all been reading.

For Crime  Spree

• The Princess Spy ~ Larry Loftis, narrated by Kate Reading (3)  This started out as an interesting read, I thought the content was going to be more 'spy' orientated that it ended up being.  This book, unfortunately for it and the author, is being compared to his earlier book, also about a spy, Code Name: Lise, which I appreciated much more as far as spy biographies go. I think the author did a good job trying to balance what he could find as fact about Aline Griffith, against the conflicting events in her own books.  The Princess Spy reads more as a US WWII operatives worker - as opposed to being a hard core spy, sans Lise - with Aline living and working in Spain until she lands the Count she's in love with: from there on out the book is more about their high society life and acquaintances.   Makes for easy listening, and I'm pleased I went through it as an audiobook.   * our local library had this listed in the True Crime section, and I originally picked it up to read for the True Crime reading challenge, I’ll have to count it as that.

•  Brat Farrar ~ Josephine Tey, narrated by  Carole Boyde (5) Repeat listen: I originally listened through this in 2017 as a possible listen for one of my young teens, i noted that it had Mature themes and though i enjoyed the story noted that one of the characters had a really casual attitude to pre-marital relationships  …. I didn’t notice that portion so much this time  as I was listening for my own enjoyment.  Carole Boyd’s skilled narration made Tey’s wonderful word crafting a solid five star experience.

• The Franchise Affair : Inspector Alan Grant, Bk 3 ~ Josephine Tey, narrated by Carole Boyd  (3)   (Josephine Tey Focus)  I’ve always sidestepped this as I don’t like stories with young women kidnapped and enslaved.  Seeing it as a BBC radio drama on youtube I thought I’d dip my toe in to see if I liked the way this story ran: I did.  Tey gives that theme a twist, not scary, or sickening, and I ended up enjoying this mystery with its nice ending so went on to listen to the unabridged version; Tey writes so well, yet I think I enjoyed the abridged version more.      Extra: a 15 year old girl – street savvy and as wily as a fox - runs away from home and starts travelling about with a married man.   The author includes her opinion on social, moral, and political topics in her era.
  • Like 6

A-Z Challenge

• The Oaken Heart ~ Margery Allingham, narrated by Georgina Sutton (5) non-fiction/ WWII memoir        I flat out enjoyed listening to Georgina Sutton narrate this, and then followed up the audiobook with a speed read through an online version later: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20210714     This book is an unvarnished reflection of the era Allingham was raised in, wrote, and, lived in - definitely not pc – and made me wince in a few places. I think Margery explains her telling of details best,    This book seems to be full of delicate subjects but it is an attempt at a history of a delicate time and I do not see how I can avoid it if I am to tell the truth, which is my object”.    I enjoyed the first person narrative, it almost reads like a long, story-formatted, letter.   Having already read the “thriller” (Traitor's Purse: Albert Campion Mystery Bk11) that Margery mentions writing at the time events in this book are going on about her made both books so much more interesting for me.    My parents, both deceased, were in their teen years during WWII, so reading about the events in this small village is like viewing a portion of their world back then.        Extra: includes a few curse words.

• The Freedom Circus ~ Sue Smethurst, narrated by Harriet Gordon-Anderson, Sam Smith  (4)    The story telling in the first chapter was a little underwhelming – it read a little like a teenaged romance, accentuated by the duel narrators – I’m pleased I kept listen as the story of this family’s harrowing journey as Jews through WWII to finally settle in Australia is interesting and hopeful.
  • Like 5

Apologising for bombing the thread with multiple posts ( one post would have been enormous)

Other books

Death In Soho: Augusta Peel Bk1 ~ Emily Organ, narrated by Sarah Nichols   (3.5 )  The conclusion to the mystery was a little ho-hum, but I like the main character, book binder, ex. WW1 spy(?)/collaborator, Augusta Peel, and, though the narrator is just okay-ish,  the story itself was interesting enough that I might try the next one in the series.   

Q: Has anyone read books five and six in this series?  The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner, narrated by Steve West

• The King of Attolia:  Bk3   (5)    A well told tale!  This is a wonderful story, and my favourite in the series out of books 1-4.  It reminds me of The Goblin Emperor, and the storytelling in this book earnt all five stars for me.    Extra: some cursing in this book (no f.bombs)
  •  A Conspiracy of Kings:  Bk4  (3-4)  I think I enjoy the stories with Eugenides as the central figure more than this one.   A Conspiracy of Kings has Sophos and his story as the central theme with Eugenides included as a supporting character, and Sophos' romance with Eddis written in as a secondary story.  Steve West is such a good narrator for these books.   Extra: Some swearing (no  f.bombs though)  Each next book in the series, so far, seemed to have more swearing in it than the preceding one.

• Revenge ~  Tom Bower, narrated by Andrew Wincott  (3-4)  non-fiction/journalistic    I’ve gifted this audiobook three stars for the writing and a solid four stars for the narration.  The writing style is a bit clunky in places and there is repetition of complete paragraphs throughout the book – I initially thought the audiobook had jumped back on those repeated excerpts.    Andrew Wincott does a good job narrating this.      I am not usually interested in books about the younger royals, yet, since others in one of my online book groups have read it, and all have definite opinions 😉  about the content and Meghan, I wanted to read it for myself to better understand what was driving their conversation.  My personal takeaways from the book:  no member of the royal family comes away unscathed in this book. Sorry Harry, Meghan is definitely not Diana 2.0 – she is her own person marching to the beat of her own drum. I dislike her ongoing disrespect to the Queen, whom I admire greatly.   Extra: f-bombs and cursing.

Current reads  (not including sip-reads)

Kate Hardy ~ D.E. Stevenson.  Undemanding, before sleep read.

My late-night audiobooks have been repeat listens through a few of the less intense stories in the Mrs. Pollifax series.

Just started another Nicholas Rhea book the library has, Constable Among the Heather, while also listening to the beginnings of a few other library loans, Midwinter Murder by Agatha Christie, and I will then have to choose between Lucky Man By Michael J. Fox, or, Adventures Of The Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen and return the other one.

Edited by tuesdayschild
title typo
  • Like 5

@tuesdayschild I hope you both have a marvelous time antique/book shop hopping this weekend!  I need to look for the Oaken Heart as it sounds like something I would enjoy.  I love Peter Grainger too!  I have finally finished all of them which is sad.  Have you tried any of the post retirement ones?  I read one and enjoyed it, hoping my library will purchase the rest on audio as I really love the narrator for that series.  I am part way through the Tom Bower MM book and have to say it has been fun to know something closer to the truth for all the press a certain person has been receiving this week!  

I am finishing up my self assigned monthly spelling challenge (August was Truman Capote) by reading Donna Andrews latest Round Up the Usual Peacocks.  Her Meg Lanslow series is always entertaining.  I recently finished her series featuring a sentinent. AI and really enjoyed listening to those.  Next up is Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (from my kindle stash) unless the library delivers a different N book as that is the last letter I need.

• Like 3

@mumto2 thank-you, we are really hoping to.   

Yes, I have read the Kingslake Investigation series (post D.C Smiths retirement).  I enjoyed books one to three more, than book four - still gave it three out of five stars, though for me there was something lacking in that book and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was -  understandably Smith is being mentioned less and less as this spin off series evolves.   Listening to them on audio is my preferred way to gobble them down (I've read on few on kindle too though).

Nodding in total agreement with your comment on the Tom Bower book and the press on MM this week.  

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Nine Coaches Waiting ( it ended up a favourite listen for me during 2020)

• Like 5

I read Soul Taken, twice because it was so good.  Finished Ilona Andrews Iron and Magic which was a great second read. Thank you to @melmichigan for reminding me. Blood Heir is in the stacks. 

Seanan McGuire’s 16th book in her October Daye series Be the Serpent was just released so will be reading it next.

Good news: Our ac has been replaced just in time for a hellacious over 100 degree hot week.  

• Like 5

20 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Dh’s birthday and Father’s Day are back to back for our family this weekend – we’re so looking forward to his birthday as it includes a day away from work and our self-build and to go riffling through second-hand and antique shops: while he browses for treasures, I’ll hunt for books.

Happy birthday to your hubby.  Have fun! 

19 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Apologising for bombing the thread with multiple posts ( one post would have been enormous)

No need to apologize. Bombs away! 

• Like 2

Over the past month I've read five books...

• The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne - This was a book I selected for book club, and the blurb on the book didn't describe at all what this book was really about. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author's writing was fantastic, and I think I experienced every emotion as I read Cyril's journey. The book starts before his birth and ends just before his death. It is set mostly in Ireland and follows the struggles of Cyril, who is gay, during a time when it was illegal to be gay. There's so many different things going on in the story and the side characters were entertaining too. (5 stars)
  • The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl - I'm not really the biggest Foo Fighters fan, but I watched an episode of Hot Ones on YouTube one day and Dave Grohl was the guest. (FYI...Hot Ones is the show where guests come on and eat spicy chicken wings while they're being interviewed.) He was pretty funny and seemed like an interesting guy, so I thought I'd give the book a try. It was intriguing and the best bits were when he talked about his daughters. I was hoping for more about his days in Nirvana, but I can understand why that stuff might not have been included. Overall, he seems like a cool dude. (4 stars)

The other books I've read have been for school...

• The Celts and All That by Scoular Anderson (4 stars)
  • The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - We read the first book in this series last year, so DDs wanted to finish. It was pretty good, although not the best writing in the world. It was still an interesting perspective of WWII from the people at home not fighting the war. (4 stars)
  • From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty - This was actually a reread for me. I read it two years ago with a world geography curriculum for DD14 and now again with DD12. I really love this book. It gives such an interesting perspective on how other cultures handle death compared to ours. It really makes you think. (4.5 stars)
  • Like 6

On 8/31/2022 at 4:30 AM, tuesdayschild said:

•  Brat Farrar ~ Josephine Tey, narrated by  Carole Boyde (5) Repeat listen: I originally listened through this in 2017 as a possible listen for one of my young teens, i noted that it had Mature themes and though i enjoyed the story noted that one of the characters had a really casual attitude to pre-marital relationships  …. I didn’t notice that portion so much this time  as I was listening for my own enjoyment.  Carole Boyd’s skilled narration made Tey’s wonderful word crafting a solid five star experience.

• The Franchise Affair : Inspector Alan Grant, Bk 3 ~ Josephine Tey, narrated by Carole Boyd  (3)   (Josephine Tey Focus)  I’ve always sidestepped this as I don’t like stories with young women kidnapped and enslaved.  Seeing it as a BBC radio drama on youtube I thought I’d dip my toe in to see if I liked the way this story ran: I did.  Tey gives that theme a twist, not scary, or sickening, and I ended up enjoying this mystery with its nice ending so went on to listen to the unabridged version; Tey writes so well, yet I think I enjoyed the abridged version more.      Extra: a 15 year old girl – street savvy and as wily as a fox - runs away from home and starts travelling about with a married man.   The author includes her opinion on social, moral, and political topics in her era.

I've read both of these Josephine Tey books recently and enjoyed them. I'll have a look on YouTube. 

I'm currently reading a Vera novel by Anne Cleeves - The Darkest Evening.

• Like 4

I thought I would mention that there appear to be several books that look to be good coming out this fall, some in series and others stand alones.  My overdrive has a coming soon section and I just filled my hold’s up and put another ten or so on my wish list.  As I managed to be first on several I think they just got added even though I haven’t looked in a few weeks.

• Like 3

Two books that I started but did not finish:

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear, on audio. Maisie Dobbs #2. I liked the story well enough but decided I do not like this narrator. I may eventually try this one in print and keep reading through that way until I get to #7 or so, when another narrator is available. This will take me a long time, though, because I have many books ahead of it on my TBR list.

The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager, on audio. My first thriller by this author. There is a twist in the first chapter, and when I got there.... Nope, I'm done. Not interested in giving more of my time to this protagonist.

It's VERY rare for me to not finish a book. I think there have only been one or two others so far this year.

• Like 4

I read P D James' Death Comes to Pemberley on recommendation - not really my sort of thing at all, and the 'trying to copy Jane Austen but badly' set my teeth on edge. But, my friend loved it, so?

Read a newer Peter Wollenben book my Dad lent me, he thought it was a bit poorly written, and so do I, haha, but had some interesting moments. It reads like a radio show, rambling, and then he mentioned he does a radio show, so that makes sense.

Really enjoying, hugely, the audiobook we're listening to as a family, by Margaret Lowman, The Abornaut. Highly recommended (so far - it's 14 hrs!)

Read Ilona Andrew's latest urban fantasy and enjoyed it. Nice escapist fair. Read a romance by Ali Hazelwood called The Love Hypothesis, again escapist and fun, but then funnily enough she was all over twitter in some drama and I don't think I'll be able to read her stuff again (she hasn't done anything wrong, just too overanalysed now). 

• Like 4

Books that I DID finish:

For my 100 top books scratch off poster:

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. War books are not my thing. It's okay if a book is set during a war, but actual battle scenes and soldier experiences do not interest me. There is an unusual time-travel element, as well. I like sci fi and fantasy, but this combo did not work well for me.

Purgatorio, by Dante, on audio. The second section of the Divine Comedy. Have to admit that my mind drifted when I was listening to this, so I can't recall a lot of details about it. I would have gotten more out of this if discussed in an English class. BUT this is a reread for me, so I'm still counting it as done.

1984 by George Orwell, on audio. Similar themes as Brave New World, but I liked 1984 much better. The characterizations are more fully developed (except for the lone featured woman); whereas, in BNW, the characters were much more meant to represent types of people. DS17 will be reading this for English and comparing it to BNW, and I told him I would read along. I also get to scratch it off. A reread for me.

• Like 4

Other books I've finished recently:

Once There Were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy, on audio. The protagonist is a scientist who has come with a group to Scotland, in order to reintroduce wolves in the area. Locals are not happy. When a death happens, she is worried that the wolves will be to blame. I was not entirely satisfied with this story. There is both backstory involving her twin sister, who lives with her, and a current romance. I can't say a lot more about what I didn't like without revealing key elements of the plot.

The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn, on audio. My first Kate Quinn book. I like history, and her writing is stellar, but this story about a Russian WWII lady sniper (based on a true story) had so many battle scenes, which is not my thing. I'll have to look for another of her books that does not have a soldier protagonist. Quinn adds a note at the end that explains what is true and what she embellished for the story. Interestingly, the sniper really did strike up an unlikely friendship with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.

The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra Patrick, on audio. Liv Green wanted to be a writer but works as a cleaner to help pay the bills. When her regular client, a famous author, suddenly dies and requests that Liv finish her final book (and keep her death a secret while doing so), Liv's dream seems like it will come true. But keeping the situation a secret from her husband causes her personal strife. I thought the premise was fun, but I have to admit that I was not a fan of some of Liv's bad decisions. They do add drama to the plot, which unfolds in some unexpected directions.

The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave, on audio. DH and listened to this one while driving back and forth to DD20's college campus, and we both enjoyed it. Looks like it will be a show on Apple TV, starring Jennifer Garner! Hannah's husband, Owen, disappears on the day that the tech company that he works for comes under investigation by authorities. He leaves her a note saying to protect his daughter (Hannah's step-daughter), and Hannah has to figure out how to do that while unraveling secrets from Owen's past and deciding who to trust.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I thought I would mention that there appear to be several books that look to be good coming out this fall, some in series and others stand alones.  My overdrive has a coming soon section and I just filled my hold’s up and put another ten or so on my wish list.  As I managed to be first on several I think they just got added even though I haven’t looked in a few weeks.

Good idea! I have 80 books already on my audiobook hold list LOL, but I probably can't resist adding more.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, LaughingCat said:

I feel like this is a big difference between my childhood and my kids -- there are so many books I read just because that was the only thing available.  

I have read Patricia Briggs new book and Ilona Andrews new book -- definitely a good week 😁

I agree with this! My kids have more books available to them than they can read (none are big readers, alas), but I was an avid re-reader, just because I'd already gone through everything in the house.

• Like 3