Menu

Is paddleboarding fun?

Kanin

I've always wanted to try it. I like swimming. I think kayaking is okay, but kind of boring and slow, so it's not always worth the hassle of getting the kayaks onto the car, off the car, back into the car, back into the garage...

Paddleboards are on sale at a place near me right now. Wondering if I should go for it. 

Love it!!!

Go rent to try it out! See if your local parks & rec department or sporting good stores offer classes. If you like it and want to buy one, start with a wide inflatable for stability (unless you are a super tiny person with great balance). The inflatable is easy to transport and easier on the bod should you fall and land on it. 

There are tons of YouTube how-to videos. 

Edited by Grace Hopper

50 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Our family loves it, ds in particular. It requires great balance!! So ds is really, really good at it just like he is really, really good at skateboarding, while dh finds he can only do it from his knees.

With experience and improved core strength from the exercise, one can usually work up to standing. There are dozens of folks of all stripes - lots of seniors! - at my local lake. 

• Like 1

I have an inflatable. I enjoy it but it is hard work and I’m always kind of nervous. If I’m on super flat water it’s fun to try yoga moves 🙂 

That said, I’m not confident in tidal waters or when the wind picks up. We mostly stick to kayaks on the ocean.

I wanted to try stand up paddleboarding for years - and then I gave it a go and loved it. 

We own an inflatable one and an inflatable kayak, so we can each take a kid with us. I prefer paddleboarding because I find it really meditative. 

It can be a bit of a pain having to inflate/deflate the paddleboard all the time but that's the only downside. 

NB I am overweight and uncoordinated and I can stand-up paddleboard, could do it from the beginning.