Menu

High iron, prepackaged snacks. Give me some ideas!

HomeAgain

DS is going off to camp.  He struggles with low iron, but it's usually managed well by a multivitamin and high iron, whole food diet.  Because it's usually managed, it's not a prescription vitamin and that's providing a bit of a struggle here for a weeklong camp.  He can take his allergy meds with him because they are prescribed, but nothing that is OTC. However, he can have all the snacks he likes in his bag. He just can't bring things that look like meds with him.

So far, Lenny & Larry's Cookies are winning as an option with 10% of a daily amount per cookie.  I'm looking for more.  Things he won't eat: unground nuts, seeds, or granola. 

FWIW, it's not life threatening if he doesn't get enough, but by day 4 of camp foods his nosebleeds and bruises might be scaring the bejeebus out of others, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Ideas?  Do they make multivitamin cookies?  And if not, someone really needs to!

Beef or venison jerky. I used to take these because of protein and iron. My protein is low too so it is nice to have both in one product.
e.g. https://epicprovisions.com/products/venison-sea-salt-pepper-steak-strips

9 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Can you go to someplace like Minute Clinic and get a prescription for iron pills? 

My obgyn and my oncologist would prescribe iron supplements but insurance won’t pay. I could get a doctor’s note if anywhere required that. Usually iron supplements are prescribed after a blood count is done though that is a very quick test.

It might be easier for OP to ask her son’s doctor to write a note for the OTC iron supplements.

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I've never known a camp to not allow OTC meds as long as the nurse has the meds and instructions. Wow.

My kid’s k-8 public school doesn’t allow Benadryl unless there is a doctor’s note which DS17’s pediatrician at that time was willing to write. 

• Like 1

Thank you, all.

We've looked at beef jerky.  Usually it's between 6 - 8% of daily value per serving (bag, stick, etc).  I'm aiming for about 60% total from snacks and then whatever he gets from meals.  It sounds backwards, but I can measure this and keep him going even if he doesn't eat well at meal time.  The child is a bottomless pit so I'm not worried about sending too much with him, but I don't want him feeling like he HAS to eat a ton of snacks every day.

I can change the paperwork with his doctor for next year but not for this year.  It hadn't been an issue for us before so I didn't consider that it might be this time (new camp, different regs).

1 minute ago, Tap said:

Rice Crispies cereal is high in iron. How about rice crispy treats? 

Surprisingly very low.  It's like 2% per prepackaged bar.  I like that we're on the same wavelength, though.  I went and checked a bunch of cereal bars as a possibility.

I'd make a phone call to the camp, explain the situation and insist they give him his regular vitamins with his allergy meds.   Trying to get that much iron to a kid in snacks you can pack plus then he needs to be on top of the right snacks sounds harder to me than doing that or if he's old enough, just packing them and letting him take them.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Mini Wheats cereal! 25 Biscuits are 100% of your daily Iron.    I eat it just right out of the box.  My kids will too but also as a normal cereal.  

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I can toss a couple of the mini-boxes in his bag and it looks completely normal.    And he is down with this idea.  One of his favorite snacks when he was little was a blueberry version of this by a different company.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I can toss a couple of the mini-boxes in his bag and it looks completely normal.    And he is down with this idea.  One of his favorite snacks when he was little was a blueberry version of this by a different company.

In what crazy world does Mini Wheat cereal win out over Liver Chips?  :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Yeah they have lots of different flavors and it is a total normal thing for a kid to be eating which I am sure helps the teen/tween crowd.  

I just saw they come in these flavors.

Frosted Mini-Wheats currently come in the following varieties:

Bite Size Frosted Maple Brown Sugar

Bite Size Frosted Blueberry (formerly named Blueberry Muffin)

Bite Size Frosted Original

Bite Size Pumpkin Spice (seasonal)

Bite Size Frosted Strawberry (formerly named Strawberry Delight)

I got a ton of boxes of the Pumpkin spice after fall on discount that the kids loved.  My kids loved the flavored ones when I spring for those.  I also saw that they have filled ones too.  We have never tried those.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@mommyoffive  there are also chocolate bite sized ones.  We love those!  All the flavors are delicious though.  🙂  My kids (adults) especially love the chocolate and blueberry ones.  

If I got the chocolate ones we would go through so much!  I think they would be way to sweet for me though.  I prefer plain shredded wheat to the frosted mini wheats.  But some of my kids will only eat the frosted mini wheats.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

.  I also saw that they have filled ones too.  We have never tried those.  

My kids tried the filled ones when they came out. They didn’t like mini wheats in general because they find the mini wheats too sweet. They would dunk the mini wheats in cold milk. My kids also tried the Kashi ones but also found them too sweet. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I think they would be way to sweet for me though.  

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

They didn’t like mini wheats in general because they find the mini wheats too sweet. They would dunk the mini wheats in cold milk. My kids also tried the Kashi ones but also found them too sweet. 

I wish I didn't have such a terrible sweet tooth.  I've never experienced anything being "too sweet."  

• Like 4