Menu

Calling Dr. Hive over something really minor and probably trivial....... Any ideas what this is?

NorthernBeth

This has been happening for the last two weeks or so.  Everytime I get out of the car to go into the house, I feel like I am about to pass out.  Like I literally go gray, feel dizzy, there is a ringing in my ears, and I end up leaning against something or grabbing my husband's arm so i don't fall over. It passes in a few minutes. My husband is theorizing that something about going from the air-conditioned car to the heat is triggering it. I don't know about that theory, as it doesn't seem that hot outside, (we live up North) .  It is only 61 F outside right now.  And stepping out of the air-conditioned house into the heat  doesn't trigger it.  I feel stupid going to the nursing station if that is all this is. ( But why is it suddenly happening now, when I have never had this any other summer? )    Any ideas on what it is or how to stop it happening?  I really don't want to actually pass out.  I am overweight and any actual fall will almost certainly cause an injury.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernBeth said:

This has been happening for the last two weeks or so.  Everytime I get out of the car to go into the house, I feel like I am about to pass out.  Like I literally go gray, feel dizzy, there is a ringing in my ears, and I end up leaning against something or grabbing my husband's arm so i don't fall over. It passes in a few minutes. My husband is theorizing that something about going from the air-conditioned car to the heat is triggering it. I don't know about that theory, as it doesn't seem that hot outside, (we live up North) .  It is only 61 F outside right now.  And stepping out of the air-conditioned house into the heat  doesn't trigger it.  I feel stupid going to the nursing station if that is all this is. ( But why is it suddenly happening now, when I have never had this any other summer? )    Any ideas on what it is or how to stop it happening?  I really don't want to actually pass out.  I am overweight and any actual fall will almost certainly cause an injury.  

Go see a doctor about this

My mom recently had it start happening to her when taking a hot shower and then getting out into the regular air conditioning. So yes the change in temperature can affect it

• Like 1

How’s your inner ear?  You’re going from having been moving in the car to not moving (especially as fast). The crystals in your ear might not be in their correct position. Try the epley maneuver at home. (Have someone with you just in case.). 

I have had to do it a couple of times before but this was when I was dizzy all the time. If it works, great, if not, it might be something else and I would see the nurse.  

Does this happen when you get out of a chair in the house?  does this happen when getting out of a specific car? or any car?

as well as consulting a dr - I'd have a mechanic check over the car to make sure there isn't a leak of some kind causing this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I would see a doctor.  The husband of a friend of mine had similar symptoms, and it was Meniere's disease.  Nothing at all life-threatening, but still something that was good to know about, and there are treatments.  

ETA:  As @Lucy the Valiantsuggested, I'd drink lots of water for the next couple of days to see if that makes a difference!  My dh went through a day or two of dizziness last summer until our dd asked if he was drinking enough water.  That sounds so simple!  He made sure to drink lots of water after that and his symptoms completely went away.

Edited by J-rap

47 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think I would see a doctor.  The husband of a friend of mine had similar symptoms, and it was Meniere's disease.  Nothing at all life-threatening, but still something that was good to know about, and there are treatments.  

ETA:  As @Lucy the Valiantsuggested, I'd drink lots of water for the next couple of days to see if that makes a difference!  My dh went through a day or two of dizziness last summer until our dd asked if he was drinking enough water.  That sounds so simple!  He made sure to drink lots of water after that and his symptoms completely went away.

Thank-you, I will try this.  We have been moving house so lots of physical exertion every day moving boxes back and forth as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Does this happen when you get out of a chair in the house?  does this happen when getting out of a specific car? or any car?

as well as consulting a dr - I'd have a mechanic check over the car to make sure there isn't a leak of some kind causing this.

Occasionally if I stand up too quick, I might feel a bit dizzy, but it would pass in a couple of seconds.  The car is a good idea too actually, as we are babysitting someone's truck right now and have been using it to drive loads to the dump from the old house.  It is pretty old and might very well have some sort of interior exhaust issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

It could be vertigo. Do you get a dizzy feeling getting out of bed? My parents have vertigo so they can’t stand up from sitting too fast, or going from lying down to sitting up.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patients-and-visitors/patient-information/conditions-treated-a-to-z/vertigo

I don't think it is vertigo. It is less dizzy and more feeling very light-headed.  

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How’s your inner ear?  You’re going from having been moving in the car to not moving (especially as fast). The crystals in your ear might not be in their correct position. Try the epley maneuver at home. (Have someone with you just in case.). 

I have had to do it a couple of times before but this was when I was dizzy all the time. If it works, great, if not, it might be something else and I would see the nurse.  

We have just tried this as well.  Testing suggests the left ear is fine, but some dizziness with the right ear position. We have tried the maneuver.  Not sure if we did it correctly, but we are going to follow the after-care instructions, which I found enlightening.  My bed normally is raised due to GERD issues, but we hadn't raised the bed yet at the new house.  And I have definitely had my head/ ear down a lot,  as I have been bending over to pack, and unpack boxes, and cleaning cupboards and fridge and stuff.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

With the ear ringing it sounds like a vagal response. Also, I sometimes have similar symptoms if I've been having more caffeine than usual.

Ooh, good point, I have been having a lot of diet pop lately.  And my cousin actually has vagal issues, which I hadn't thought of.  Well, we will see if things get better by cutting back on caffeine, and drinking more fluids.  I guess if it keeps happening, I will check in with the nursing station.  

• Like 1

I would speak to a doctor about it and get it checked out. Heart conditions also can cause lightheadedness when getting up "too quickly". Heart conditions aren't always life or death it may just be something you need to keep in mind or it may be something more. 

• Like 1