Menu

Loud noises causing nausea?

ksr5377

My 8 year old has consistently been telling me she feels nauseous when we're somewhere with very loud music.  We're in the process of finding a new pediatrician so i don't have a relationship with a doctor right now.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Trying to determine if a pediatrician is the right first step to begin with.

I've had problems with loud noises causing vertigo, which in turn causes nausea. I was planning on going to an ENT, but then lockdown hit and we weren't going anywhere loud. I have a wedding coming up, so we'll see. I had trouble at the last wedding we were at, pre-pandemic. Has your child mentioned any dizziness or a feeling of wooziness along with it?

Edited to add: Does your child have any sensory issues? Ds was very sensitive to loud noises, or really any noises as a child, and the stress of it would give him an upset stomach. 

Edited by dsmith

Well I do think for some sensory sensitive kids, loud or unexpected noises (or situations) may cause anxiety.  Which in turn can cause stomach upset (and/or headaches, vague physical symptoms, etc) in some people.  We have experience with this at our house.  

So I would follow up of course and work to find a new ped.  When my daughter was about ten, we had several months of on and off stomach stuff and did follow up on it.  And really, it resolved once we purposefully started working on anxiety response with her as well as adding probiotics and trying to cut back on especially sugar and highly processed carbs.  Her peditrician encouraged us to journal foods and responses for a while and that helped.  

• Like 1

I can be this way at times, but it comes and goes. Once the noise is gone, I am fine as long as I haven't been subjected to it for very long.

I also can get nauseated with vibration, such as when riding a bike on a gravel road. That tends to leave a lasting feeling for me.

I also struggle with wind moving past my ears except when the temperature is quite high (like 80 or more), and it eventually leaves me with an aching jaw and basically a migraine. 

I got carsick easily as a kid (but not as bad as a lot of people), and I get migraines. I think this is part of that whole ball of wax for me.

One of my kids had serious sensory issues, and for him, OT helped. He would nearly pass out with some kinds of loud noise! 

Strange story but a few years ago my dd was in a dance recital and another group was doing a dance to some remix of “You’ve got a friend in me” from Toy Story. It was loud and had a strange vibration/beat that made me nauseous. Every rehearsal and show I had to leave when that act came on. I also get migraines that make me sick but I have never been triggered by loud noises. But that song literally made me sick. Super strange but it is totally possible. 

If someone else had told me that I would have been like all *eyeroll* and like “what a drama queen”… but that was me leaving the auditorium because the weird Toy Story remix was going to make me sick. 😟

2 hours ago, ksr5377 said:

My 8 year old has consistently been telling me she feels nauseous when we're somewhere with very loud music.  We're in the process of finding a new pediatrician so i don't have a relationship with a doctor right now.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Trying to determine if a pediatrician is the right first step to begin with.

Does she have an excessive startle? Stiffen or go rigid at all?

Is nausea the only thing she feels or is there anything else?

I remember we only found out the younger kid gets migraines by accident - she mentioned one day that she was happy she didn't get headaches like her sibling, but sometimes her eyes hurt and/or she sees things and I sat there and groaned and said "That's a migraine, kiddo - headache + aura = migraine". "No, it's my eyes, not my head!" "Well, where the heck do you keep your eyes?"

But seriously, if she hadn't said anything we would not have realized.

So, um, my thoughts here jumped straight to migraine with nausea, triggered by noise. It's very possible to have a migraine without the headache part. There could certainly be other explanations, and this probably isn't even the most likely one, but it's worth asking if there's anything else that happens that she might not have mentioned.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Does she have an excessive startle? Stiffen or go rigid at all?

No, I have never noticed anything like this.  I'm going to talk to her more about other things she's feeling at the time.  She has mentioned her stomach but I never though to tie it to anxiety over her dislike of the loud noise or anything like that. 

The last time it happened was the other day when we were picking her brother up from scout camp.  They had a family dinner in the dining hall which was packed and had loud music playing.  She was hungry for dinner, but by the time we sat down to eat she had pretty much curled up into herself.  I asked her what was wrong and she said that the noise hurt her stomach.  We picked up our plates and found a picnic table outside.  Within 5 or so minutes she felt fine and was able to eat.  It comes and goes very quickly.

My son is like this. His dad was so excited to get a boy to take to college football games.  Our son hated it.  He just could not handle the noise of the crowd which was very loud.  I bet if I asked him he would say it made him sick to his stomach