Menu

I need steak knives

Bonus points if they are on sale for Memorial Day weekend.  I would like ones that are durable but not too expensive.  Any suggestions for Cutco will be ignored as I do not have that kind of money to spend on knives.  (Sorry - I just looked at the prices.  That's great if you like them but I just simply can't afford them.) 

I got a set of Zwilling/Henckles in a wooden box for a decent price a couple of years ago. I like them fine and the box is nice for keeping them organized and retaining sharp blades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our local Bed Bath and Beyond has gone out of business. 

I have been seeing this a lot lately about BBB. There are 2 in my area that went out of business during the pandemic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I have been seeing this a lot lately about BBB. There are 2 in my area that went out of business during the pandemic.

Rent is high and store space is too big. There are very little foot traffic there. The BBB at Charleston (with REI and Best Buy) might be due to the landlord wanting to redevelop the area. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Bonus points if they are on sale for Memorial Day weekend.  I would like ones that are durable but not too expensive.  Any suggestions for Cutco will be ignored as I do not have that kind of money to spend on knives.  (Sorry - I just looked at the prices.  That's great if you like them but I just simply can't afford them.) 

If you're willing to look at ebay - Chicago cutlery walnut 62s.  I have some that are 40+ years old. (dh's is obsessed about sharpening them with a chef's choice sharpener.)  They're great utility knives.  Dh went and bought a set of Wusthof's - that included steak knives.   The wusthof's hold an edge better, but I really like those Chicagos.

link is just an example of two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our local Bed Bath and Beyond has gone out of business. 

I think it was covid - I noticed a huge difference in foot traffic from before to after.

It got to the only thing I bought from them was the wamsutta dreamzone sheets.

17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think it was covid - I noticed a huge difference in foot traffic from before to after.

It got to the only thing I bought from them was the wamsutta dreamzone sheets.

Well, when I did go in they had the worst customer service ever. I think that it was a combination of things. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Well, when I did go in they had the worst customer service ever. I think that it was a combination of things. 

Bed Bath and Beyond had significant problems pre-Covid.  The company had a loss of about $140million in 2019.  It's stock price was about $75 per share in 2015; it had fallen to about $12 per share at the beginning of 2020.  

• Like 1