Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

I haven't posted the last couple of days.  I'm having something hidden going on that is causing my blood sugars to spike.  (Doctor hasn't been able to pinpoint what.)  Anyway. . . this has meant a lot of experimenting on different foods in different amounts in different times. 

So my goal for this month is to get my bloodsugars under better control if I can.  (Though since it's not a direct cause and effect with food only, I might not be totally successful.)  I am reading books by Dr. Fuhrman, Khambatta, Myhill and a cookbook by Rachel Manfield.  All have different approaches on trying to solve the same things so I'm mainly trying to find out what works for my stupid body. 

• Like 4

@Jean in Newcastle I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your bg. Best wishes finding the culprit.

------------

We picked some greens from the garden and I've been eating a couple of handfuls before every meal (inspired by @Selkie). I'm just having them plain.

b: pumpkin protein pancakes+ greens

l: greens + leftover cauliflower pizza; greek yogurt ice cream bar; 2 dark sea salt caramels

s: greens+ blueberries+ strawberries/Oikos triple zero yogurt/homemade muesli

(probably another snack- meals are messed up today b/c dh and I went on a longish walk after breakfast) 

s: salad of some sort (bought a handful on markdown and still have some)

d: greens+ small serving steak/ brussel sprouts/sweet potato

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

I've never posted on any of the healthy eating but thought I would to help keep myself accountable. Husband was recently told he is pre-diabetic and I have been doing an obscene amount of reading (most of which I found on this board-so wonderfully helpful). Starting off slow but we have cut out all white anything (except cauliflower) and stopped snacking. It wouldn't hurt me to lose 10-15 pounds so I am doing it with him. Trying to add vegetables to every meal. Here is today's plan (husband didn't follow it as he overslept and is doing yard work all day-he ate a keto bar for lunch)

B-steel cut oatmeal, strawberries and oat creamer (2T)

L - 2 fried eggs on a slice of homemade sourdough with roasted broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and 1 diced tomato

D- taco salad

Still trying to figure out the approach for him. He loves, loves, loves carbs. I told him he had to cut out empty calories-bagels, doughnuts (his office is notorious for keeping doughnuts in break room), chips and crackers and ice cream. I make homemade (mix of whole wheat & all purpose flour) sourdough bread every week so I think that is reasonable thing to keep. Leaning towards following a Mediterranean diet which I thought we kind of already did but it's become apparent we were nowhere close. I told him he can still have a small piece of chocolate every day as I think if I totally deprive him of his go to treats, he won't last long. Neither will I. 

Last night we had a giant salad with falafel. He complained he was starving at bedtime. Trying to figure out how to keep him from going hungry but getting him to eat more vegetables. I'm a former vegetarian and will gladly eat fruit & veggies all day long. But I have found my body needs a little bit of meat 2-3 times a week.

• Like 5

Well, April went well. DD's stomach pain is not completely resolved, but only 2x did it bring her to tears last month. We're trying some dairy this week to see if that is a culprit. Apparently, it makes my nose run - I've had to blow my nose after every meal today. Huh.

Breakfast: eggs with a splash of milk 

Lunch: hamburger (with cheese, garlic aioli, and ketchup), air fryer potatoes, sugar snap peas

Dinner: gluten free mac and cheese, a paleo chicken finger, celery sticks, and a salad with a new no-sugar dressing (not the best, but better than the other 2 I've tried).

• Like 5

I haven't posted in here before, either.  I'm trying to eat at home for the entire month, cooking as much as possible from scratch.

Today..

Breakfast: two eggs, 2 pieces of toast, cup of coffee

Lunch: a small serving of lemon pasta with zucchini, a side of grapes & yoghurt.

Snack: apple coffee cake. 

Dinner: chicken curry with bell peppers over basmati rice

I'm trying to work in more fruits and vegetables this month, too, but we're at that inbetween month where it's not quite summer yet, and we get a lot of chilly days thrown in.  We're tired of eating hardier winter produce but the weather isn't conducive to a lot of the summer dishes we like to make. 

• Like 6

My main goal for May is to continue increasing plant diversity in my diet in order to optimize microbiome health. In April, I added several types of legumes to my rotation, ate at least four different types of mushrooms each week, and had fermented foods most days - in addition to switching up the fruits, veggies, greens, whole grains, nuts, and seeds that I eat on a daily basis.

Another May goal is to try a couple new soup recipes. Dh and I have gotten into the habit of having a light dinner and being finished eating for the night by 6pm or so. We've been having soup at least two nights a week. In May, I want to make some old favorites, but also try something new.

And lastly, I want to get back to making smoothies for breakfast or lunch. I'm out in the cold so much in the winter that smoothies lose their appeal, but I really love them in warmer weather. There are several recipes on Dr. Fuhrman's site that I am looking forward to trying.

Sunday -

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Hummus with zucchini, cauliflower, beets, and olives.

Dinner - Veggie sushi with tofu, avocado, cucumber, carrot, scallions, and brown rice. 

• Like 5

I love reading the goals. I feel like progress made here is a glacial pace with continual setbacks. 

I'm planning to do some smoothies here too. I've not been able to make any for months (I tried a few times in the food processor but it didn't work very well) because my blender was broken but I finally got the replacement parts. I've been having my same breakfast for awhile and am ready to switch it up. 

I didn't cook an actual meal last night we had leftovers to eat. 

Still haven't made the chickpea blondies. I did make some turkey meatballs for lunches. I got in some beets in the IP now and then I'll do some chickpeas. 

b:  Can't Beet Me Smoothie (from Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow modified w/ what I have)- beet, blueberry, strawberry, banana, cocoa powder, pb (w/ chia and flax) almond milk, nf greek yogurt, frozen cauliflower; couple of handfuls of greens

after workout: greens; protein pancakes (pumpkin, oats, lf cottage cheese, egg whites)

lunch: greens; turkey meatballs+ veggies- zucchini and carrots roasted, baked sweet potato or maybe a stir fry

snack: ????

dinner: greens; chicken chili I think-- I have some cooked chicken I need to use and some white beans in the freezer

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, ShepCarlin said:

Hey @Soror, what are the chickpea blondies? Do you mind posting the recipe?

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/

Fwiw I use way less than rec. sugar-- like 1/3 cup and use honey, oats instead of flour

I love this recipe too and have made it many, many times---https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

• Thanks 2

May is off to a rough start as dh and I drove for eleven hours yesterday to get home after a few days on the coast. Driving days always seem to tank my good intentions. Yesterday was a weird mix! My main meals were fine, but my snacks were not as fine.

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with plain cashew milk

Lunch--Chipotle (always dairy free, and loaded with veg)

Dinner--Panera grain bowl with extra greens and tomatoes and cukes.

Snacks--Odd mix of totally healthy options like nuts, apples, and plain popcorn, but also unhealthy fries and a bag of peanut m&ms. Just evaluating my choices--it's easy to just go on autopilot grabbing the same treats I have always associated with road tripping, especially when dh grabs junk at rest stops. I've been driving an inordinate amount for about three weeks due to a confluence of unexpected factors (one planned trip and two unplanned), and I've had to realize it's an area that needs some intentional, focused effort to create new rhythms.

Today:

Breakfast--Tea (NS). Oatmeal with fruit and nuts and a smidge of maple syrup. I'm always amazed that something so healthy tastes so beautiful. I tried using a smaller measure and found I was not only satisfied, but actually felt better eating slightly less than my usual amount.

Lunch--Chicken salad with lots of veg and sesame-rice crackers to serve as gf bread.

Snack--2 squares super-dark chocolate.

Dinner--Probably sweet potatoes and chicken street tacos. Not sure yet, but I am confident it will be a healthy option no matter what we do.

• Like 5

I'm now reading about a Paleo-Keto diet.  I think that this is the type of thing that my body responds to the best.  Except that my body always seems to respond to something for two weeks and then quits responding to it. . . .

Monday -

breakfast - yes, I'm back to eating breakfast.  1/3 cup of Keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk.  Bone broth.

beautiful blood sugars.  Much better than I ever had while doing the intermittent fasting.

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  raw goat cheddar.  I think that a full muffin was too many carbs.

beautiful blood sugars.

snack - lunch meat roll ups with goat cheese and shredded carrots.

beautiful blood sugars again.

dinner - SPAM (yes, SPAM) bowl with veggie/cabbage base.  Egg on top.  Might do some chocolate squares for dessert.  Haven't decided yet.  Probably should tally up the carbs first.  ETA:  did not have any chocolate squares.  Did steal a couple of grapes from dh. 

Great blood sugars. 

evening snack - hard boiled eggs.

again blood sugar progress to come. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 7

Today was a good day.  I got in my 20 minutes of exercise and ate pretty well.

Breakfast: Greek yoghurt and black coffee

Lunch: leftover chicken curry, rather than the frozen pizza dh made.

Dinner: a Tunisian-spiced chickpea dish with apricots, almonds, and zucchini over basmati rice and a cilantro/jalapeno/lemon sauce on top.

We try to work in at least 2 vegetarian dinners each week and this one was a hit.  We'll make some tweaks to it before next time, but not many. 

• Like 6

I don't feel like I ate enough today, but not really hungry.

Breakfast: eggs & a couple of sausage links

Lunch: Italian chicken (no cheese, just breaded with almond flour & Italian seasonings), leftover potatoes, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks & grapes

Dinner: 2 small pieces cauliflower crust pizza (1 with pepperoni, 1 with sausage). This was our dairy trial item today.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli (forgot the beans, oops) with mango, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with spring mix, canary beans, beets, cauliflower, carrots, scallions, olives, avocado, and kimchi. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Made this on the fly and it turned out phenomenal: Had a mason jar of farro in the fridge and I added to it - one big container of mixed greens (chopped), broccoli, lion's mane mushrooms, and loads of garlic (8 or 9 cloves). Sautéed it all and topped it with a drizzle of the butter bean hummus that I made yesterday. Yum. Also had the rest of the leftover veg sushi.

• Like 4

So much yummy food. I read dishes and feel so inspired but end up making the same ol things so often. I actually enjoy cooking but it seems I've been too busy or not planning well enough to pull off new dishes that are more complicated. I must work on the menu today. With the crazyness of last week I hardly cooked but have got to get back in the groove as I need to keep grocery costs down.

I'm keeping mostly to my plan but Sat and Sun had leftover candy from movie outing with kids and then last 2 days some chips. Ate a very, very small supper Sunday night and skipped it last night--- wasn't hungry after late afternoon snack at 4:30.

before workout: smoothie--- beets/banana/strawberry/blueberry/cauliflower/PB- flax+ chia/nf greek yogurt/cocoa/ unsweet plain amond milk

after workout: pumpkin protein pancakes

lunch: turkey meatballs/red and green cabbage/red onion/carrots; chickpea blondies; 2 dark sea salt caramels

snack: ????

dinner: ????

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm now reading about a Paleo-Keto diet.  I think that this is the type of thing that my body responds to the best.  Except that my body always seems to respond to something for two weeks and then quits responding to it. . . .

Monday -

breakfast - yes, I'm back to eating breakfast.  1/3 cup of Keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk.  Bone broth.

beautiful blood sugars.  Much better than I ever had while doing the intermittent fasting.

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  raw goat cheddar.  I think that a full muffin was too many carbs.

beautiful blood sugars.

beautiful blood sugars again.

dinner - SPAM (yes, SPAM) bowl with veggie/cabbage base.  Egg on top.  Might do some chocolate squares for dessert.  Haven't decided yet.  Probably should tally up the carbs first.  ETA:  did not have any chocolate squares.  Did steal a couple of grapes from dh. 

Great blood sugars. 

again blood sugar progress to come. 

Jean, in case you are interested, this is the low-sugar granola my dh and I love:

Michele's Granola (michelesgranola.com)

I find just a small amount is really satisfying for a long time. You'd have to run the numbers/ingredients to see if it fits your needs. Dh often pairs a portion with plain yogurt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Jean, in case you are interested, this is the low-sugar granola my dh and I love:

Michele's Granola (michelesgranola.com)

I find just a small amount is really satisfying for a long time. You'd have to run the numbers/ingredients to see if it fits your needs. Dh often pairs a portion with plain yogurt.

Thanks..  So far I haven't been able to tolerate any oats (even gf ones) due to my stupid body's blood sugars.  Same with yogurt, though I have a line on a non-dairy yogurt that I'm going to try. 

This is what I've been able to tolerate.  https://nutrail.com/products/nutrail-keto-nut-granola-blueberry-cinnamon

• Like 2

Slipped into eating more sweets than I want toward the end of April. Now I think all the temptations are out of the house. Most days I will probably just have a cup of tea with sugar and nothing else sweet.

I need to get back to planning lunches.

Dinner is going well. Tonight was smoky sweet potato boats.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 5

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, apple, pear, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Hummus with zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. A G-BOMBS bar (first time I tried one). G-BOMBS is the acronym Dr. Fuhrman uses for the foods that best promote health and longevity and should make up a significant proportion of the daily diet - greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, seeds. This bar had all those things in it and still managed to taste like a super-healthy version of chocolate chip cookie dough. I was impressed.🙂

Dinner - BBQ tofu on a sprouted whole grain wrap with carrot-dill kraut, pickles, roasted mushrooms, scallions, and spring mix. Purple and orange sweet potato oven fries. Roasted broccoli.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 4

A pretty good day. 

Breakfast--small portion of low-sugar granola with coconut milk

Lunch--Lunchmeat lettuce wraps with lots of veg, chips, pickle spear.

Dinner--GF wrap with chicken, lettuce, cilantro, onion, avocado. A small spoonful of potato salad.

Snack--2 squares dark chocolate, cup of coffee with coconut milk and 1 sugar packet.

• Like 3

Tuesday  -

breakfast - 1/3 cup of Keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk.  Bone broth.

beautiful blood sugars.  

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  raw goat cheddar.  

beautiful bs

beautiful bs

dinner - Ground beef, black beans, veggies (zucchini, onions, yellow squash, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, sugar snap peas) plant cheese  

Great blood sugars. 

Great bs 

• Like 5

@Jean in Newcastleya for good blood sugars

13 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Tuesday:

Absolutely exhausted tonight. But it was a good eating day. 

Breakfast: Eggs

Lunch: last pork chop & air fried potatoes

Dinner: lemon pepper chicken, salad & asparagus

Long day?

15 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Thanks..  So far I haven't been able to tolerate any oats (even gf ones) due to my stupid body's blood sugars.  Same with yogurt, though I have a line on a non-dairy yogurt that I'm going to try. 

This is what I've been able to tolerate.  https://nutrail.com/products/nutrail-keto-nut-granola-blueberry-cinnamon

I used to make a homemade granola with just nuts, seeds, and coconut. Mixed with a bit of coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, and cocoa. I just do a muesli these days with oats, nuts, seeds, coconut, cocoa nibs, and dates. No oil or honey. Different than granola but good.I think it would work the same without the oats. I was actually looking into quinoa flakes and puffed buckwheat for some otpions to add to it-- I don't know if you can tolerate those any better just throwing it out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had the rest of my chip crumbs w/ uncured ham for my afternoon snack; ended with a light dinner a bit of baked chicken breast (garlic, lemon, pepper) and broccoli and a greek yogurt icecream bar for dessert

today:

b: Smoothie- beet/strawberry/raspberry/blueberry/banana/cauliflower/pb w/ flax+chia/ cocoa/ nf plain greek yogurt/ unsweet almond milk

after workout: thinking gf teff mix bread w/ eggs and turkey bacon + broccoli

lunch: turkey meatballs w/ stirfry veggie mix; chicpea blondie

snack: dark sea salt caramels; ?

dinner---- still haven't made my menu !

• Like 3

Today was hard in terms of sugar cravings. In attempt to get husband healthy, we cut out all crackers, cookies, ice cream, candy (except for that one square of chocolate/day). I really, really, really wanted a cookie today. Still do.

B: steel cut oatmeal, strawberries, oat creamer, cinnamon. Need to figure out a way to get a vegetable in my breakfast. I eat oatmeal + fruit every day.

L: Giant salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, roast turkey, feta cheese and tzatzki.

Snack: greek yogurt with strawberries and a little bit of granola

Dinner: Grilled cheese and tomato on homemade sourdough, homemade vegetable soup from freezer.

• Like 4

Another busy day (work, driving practice, dropping off Salvation Army stuff, orthodontist (super long appt), and driver's ed):

Breakfast: eggs & sausage

Snack: fun sized Snickers (everyone was eating candy around my desk today - I couldn't resist)

Lunch: hot dog, grapes, carrot sticks, strawberries

Dinner (scarfed between ortho and driver's ed): hard boiled egg & grapes

• Like 5

Third great day of blood sugars in a row.  I'm inching closer and closer to normal blood sugars.  In fact, my sugars have been "normal person" levels two nights in a row, which has actually caused me to wake up a couple of times with hypoglycemic reactions because my body isn't used to these numbers and so thinks it's dying.  Hopefully my body will adjust to the new lower blood sugar numbers soon.

Wednesday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  goat cheese.

snack - lunch meat roll ups with shredded carrots and goat cheese.

dinner - ground pork and green beans stir fry.  A bit of goat cheese for "dessert".  (This meal was the one where I was craving carbs but I was at a good caloric marker and didn't want to add to it.  Or risk having a bad blood sugar reading.

• Like 5

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with yellow eye beans, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, figs, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two bbq tofu wraps with mushrooms, scallions, and spring mix. A carrot and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Buffalo chili (like buffalo sauce, not 🦬). Recipe is one of our favorites from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures. I changed up the legumes for variety - the recipe calls for lentils and navy beans, and I used lentils, cannellini, and borlotti beans. I also added roasted mushrooms and kale for added nutrients (I throw mushrooms and greens into just about everything I make). Had a Dave's Killer everything bagel, too.

• Like 5

Thursday - DD had her wisdom teeth out today, so a lot of caretaking today. I was starving all day - I think it was stress.

Breakfast: eggs & sausage

Snack: cashews

Lunch: salad, chicken, carrot sticks, grapes, and some avocado that was going to go bad.

Snack: non-dairy yogurt

Dinner: I found a ham in the back of the freezer, so ham, potatoes, and broccoli

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to an appointment. Then back at home I had my mixed microgreens and muesli/bean bowl with kiwi, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Hummus and a big bowl of raw veggies - carrot, cucumber, and golden beet slices, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, radishes, grape tomatoes, scallions. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Repeat of last night - chili and a Dave's Killer bagel.

• Like 3

Thursday  -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  goat cheese.

snack - lunch meat roll ups with shredded carrots and goat cheese.

dinner - ground beef with mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, onions, black beans. 

evening snack- hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Thursday was:

B: steel cut oatmeal, strawberries, oat creamer, cinnamon. 

L: Giant salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, roast turkey, feta cheese and tzatzki.

Snack: iced chai tea at a bookstore. I forgot to ask if it was sweetened. I think it was, but not over the top.

Dinner: Salmon burger, rice millet ramen, shitake mushrooms and spinach. Was starving an hour after dinner so had a slice of sourdough with goat cheese on it. 

• Like 4

I’m reading along for healthy inspiration. So many great meals here! 
I started wearing a glucose monitor 6 or so weeks ago and learned that my not so great habits were really pretty awful, and some things I thought were working, were spiking my blood sugar. 
I’ve been making some great improvements, but it’s hard. I miss my old favorites. 
yesterday- 

breakfast- dry roasted cashews, Diet Coke, dog walk 

lunch- mixed greens salad with chicken and pumpkin seeds with poppyseed dressing. Spoiler- commercial poppyseed dressing must have sugar 😂

snack- Parmesan crisp crackers 

dinner- pepperoni with cannellini beans and Parmesan cheese. Dog walk. 

Not a bad day, but could have used some more veggies. 

• Like 5

Friday - 

Breakfast - Big bowl of broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with guava, banana, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two sprouted whole grain wraps with hummus, sriracha, carrots, tomato, cukes, beet, mushrooms, scallions, carrot-dill kraut, greens. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Salad with greens, crispy tofu, garlicky sweet potato, edamame, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, ginger-beet kraut, olives, homemade wfpb creamy balsamic dressing.

• Like 4

Friday - dinner out tonight - which will be the big test for my bloodsugars.

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk, bone broth.

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. 

snack - lunch meat, carrot, goat cheese roll ups

dinner - scrambled eggs, bacon, 2 bites of hash browns.  3 bites of gf toast. 

walked afterwards.

Woo hoo!  Great blood sugar!

evening snack - hard boiled eggs.  Which yeah, is an awful lot of eggs today but it's all about keeping those blood sugars low and steady right now.  Next week I will experiment a tiny bit to see what else I can do while still keeping my blood sugars in excellent territory. 

• Like 6

Breakfast- handful cashews and Diet Coke 

Lunch- chicken tikka Masala and roasted broccoli

both were great for glucose levels

dinner- caprese salad over greens and Cauliflower pizza. I think these were good but then I had dark chocolate almonds which were really a lot of sugar. Ruined the meal glucose response 

• Like 6

I had blueberries to put in my buckwheat cereal! 💙

I don't know what I'm having for lunch. (DH and DS are having pizza I don't like.) I'll see if we have any leftovers.

Dinner is Vegan Richa's cheeseburger sheet pan dinner--I need to put some chickpeas in the Instant Pot at some point--and probably sweet potato fries. Yes, that's a lot of sweet potatoes. But they're so good.

I've decided that on Tuesdays we'll try a new-to-us healthyish convenience food for lunch. This coming Tuesday it'll be garlic-herb cauliflower rice.

• Like 6

Tough week--very little sleep and plenty of stress. I am really, really glad to be home and glad to know I don't have to leave home for a while. 

Today--

Breakfast: Apple and banana on my way to gyrotonics class. Had some eggs and a little leftover baked ham and gorgeous rooibos-jasmine tea when I got home.

Lunch: Ate a small, late lunch after a nap. Chicken salad with a gf spinach wrap, handful of chips with salsa, green tea.

Dinner: Not sure yet, but the freezer is full of healthy stuff. 

Snack: 2 squares dark chocolate, also a slice of low-sugar mixed berry tart on gf almond crust. Just enough sweetness to feel like a treat.

I was realizing that I gravitate towards a handful of chips on many days because I crave that intense saltiness. I am wondering now about making sure I have something bitter-salty available that is healthier. So far my only idea has been a stirfry featuring kale, garlic, onion, and gf soy sauce--I'll try to pick up some of that sort of thing in this week's shopping trip and see how the cravings go.

• Like 5

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with yellow eye beans, banana, guava, kiwi, blueberries, apple, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two veggie wraps with carrots, cukes, golden beets, shredded red cabbage, edamame, carrot-dill kraut, spring mix, and a drizzle of Sweet Heat balsamic vinegar. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Tried Monkey and Me's recipe for Thai red curry ramen soup, which turned out great. I doubled the veggies and used red onions, red cabbage, and purple carrots for higher antioxidants and threw in my usual roasted mushroom mix and spinach. Also used a mix of ramen - brown rice ramen with seaweed and black forbidden rice ramen. Had a whole grain everything bagel, too.

• Like 4

Bother.  Today was supposed to be day six of perfect blood sugars. 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese. 

snack- lunch meat and goat cheese with shredded carrots 

Beautiful blood sugars so far. 

dinner-  nomato beef stew (beef, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, pumpkin). Chocolate dipped strawberries. 

technically the carb content of this dinner was less than other dinners I have had this week. But glycemic index was probably bad. And I didn’t walk after dinner. Until after my high reading. I did take Juliet for a quick walk then. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I am wondering now about making sure I have something bitter-salty available that is healthier.

Raw celery does this for me. It has a lot of naturally occurring salt and the crunch soothes my chip cravings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sunday-  

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, soy milk, bone broth 

a few nuts to tide me over until a late lunch. 

lunch-  bunless bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, lettuce;  3 French fries. 

great blood sugar reading. 

dinner-  ground beef, black beans, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms, yellow squash and vegan cheese. 

hard boiled eggs 

back to a great blood sugar day. 

• Like 4

Saturday- everything bagel for breakfast. Sugar spiked, walked 2 1/2 miles, lowered nicely on walk. But as soon as I sat back down, spiked again. lunch- skipped to keep my levels down

dinner- sausage, cheese, apples, potato salad 

Sunday- breakfast- turkey and cheese

lunch - skipped

dinner- sausage & bean soup, chicken casserole, green beans, sliver of birthday cake. 

sugars were good today, but could have been from the Mother’s Day wine I had while cooking 😀

again- not enough vegetables. 

• Like 5

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and kale sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, guava, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two chickpea wraps with ginger-beet kraut, carrots, grape tomatoes, scallions, red cabbage, romaine, wfpb creamy balsamic dressing.

Dinner - Two grilled vegetable burritos with peppers, onions, jalapeños, lettuce, pico de gallo, corn, guacamole, lime-cilantro rice.

• Like 5