Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Well, my youngest are in charge of food while the other 3 of us are recuperating. so I have little say in what gets delivered to the sick rooms.

Breakfast: eggs

Lunch: mcD's (someone dropped it off for us)

Snack: chocolate chips

Dinner: BBQ chicken & grapes

It's always best to affirm the youngest's fabulous effort. đŸ¥°

• Like 2

Today’s a marathon travel day and I don’t have access to gf food of my choice. I mean, there is gf food but I have to have what’s on offer. 

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with bacon and then I ate two slices of gf toast which shot my blood sugars up. 

snack-  was served a gf strawberry rhubarb cobbler which was delicious but bad for my sugars. 

dinner-  gf fish and chips. I did have more choices at this meal and the little devil on my shoulder directed me to this instead of a healthy salad. 

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, mulberries, blueberries, mango, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - was rushed and hectic. No time for a salad. Had a few Olina's Simply Seed crackers and cashew cream cheese.

Dinner - The rest of the spicy Japanese eggplant pizza.

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Kale and cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, mango, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, tofu, quinoa, radishes, tomatoes, cukes, bell pepper, beets, cashew hemp Caesar dressing. A lavender-infused oat milk latte that one of my kids brought me from their favorite coffee place.

Dinner - Veggie burgers (shipped from an awesome vegan restaurant - Burgerlords in Los Angeles) and samosas.

• Like 2

Saturday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese.

snack - this is where I derailed.  had the remaining fish and chips from yesterday.  And some goat cheese for extra protein. 

I also did extra yard work today and "killed" myself stamina wise.  But I was so tired that I didn't keep up with my glucose testing so I don't have proof of how my body responded to my culinary sins.

dinner - a little bit of lentil soup.  And a flaxseed brownie.

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with mulberries, mango, blueberries, blackberries, pear, apple, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, cauliflower, bell pepper, scallions, shishito peppers, radishes, cukes, spicy walnuts, wfpb 1000 island. 2 mandarins.

Dinner - 2 veggie burger wraps with red onion, carrot-dill kraut, pickles, and mixed greens. Watermelon.

• Like 4

Sunday-

lunch- half of an order of bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries with onions and green peppers, some cantaloupe 

snack - some squares of Theo cherry almond dark chocolate 

dinner- other half of the order of bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries with onions and green peppers. 

• Like 4

Catching up.

Saturday:

Breakfast--gf zucchini bread, banana, tea

Lunch--tuna salad with gf crackers

Dinner--bunless burger, roasted spiced potatoes, green beans

Snack--dark chocolate, more squares than usual unfortunately

Sunday:

Breakfast--Low-sugar granola with almond milk, blueberries, mango on the side, tea (NS)

Lunch--Last of the fried cauliflower bites with guacamole, gluten free flatbread, tea (S)

Dinner--Big salad with chickpeas and tons of veg, also some more gf flatbread

Snack--dark chocolate

• Like 4

Dropping back in here...

I found a cracker-chip that is somewhat healthy.  It's the Super Seed Mix from Plant Snacks.  I bought a bag because they were on sale here and ds LOVES them!  They taste like a better corn chip and are made with

Plant Snacks Flour Blend (Whole Ground Corn, Cassava Flour, Pea Protein, Psyllium Husk Fiber, Mushroom Powder), Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Seed Blend (Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sea Salt, Rosemary Extract

So now we have a new addition to lunches on the go.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs w/wheat toast

Snack: Greek Yogurt

Lunch: falafel, tzadziki, spinach salad w/feta & figs

Dinner: beef enchiladas, lime rice, and corn & poblano hash. 

• Like 5

Saturday-

breakfast dry roasted cashews and Diet Coke 

lunch- chicken sausage, peppers, onions, cannellini beans 

snack- cashews

dinner- turkey, cheddar, watermelon 

Sunday -

breakfast- cashews and Diet Coke 

lunch- couple slices of apple with peanut butter, chicken, cheese, carrots 

dinner- wine, big mixed salad with avocado and chicken, dark chocolate, 1 spoon of DH’s ice cream 

today I’m trying to intermittent fast and skip the Diet Coke all day! We’ll seeđŸ˜€

Edited by Toocrazy!!
  • Like 5

Days are starting to run together in quarantine - youngest is still cooking.

Sunday - 

Breakfast: crescent rolls with some chocolate chips rolled up in them.

Lunch: hot dog

Snack: grapes

Dinner: BBQ beef (ordered delivery, so probably blew the budget, but youngest 2 needed a break)

My tummy is not doing too well with the dairy, but I'm recovering pretty well from covid.

• Like 6

So-so today, but I stopped at the frou-frou all-natural grocery store and bought some options for helping my days stay on track.

Breakfast--Tea and a banana before class. I was ravenous at by the end.

Lunch--bunless burger and potatoes. I had one portion when class was over, and then another portion mid-afternoon.

Dinner--Planning to make roasted chicken with some sort of veg and perhaps a baked potato or quinoa.

• Like 3

Today was my fast day just until noon, so no breakfast. And no Diet Coke! I did itđŸ˜€
lunch- chicken, cucumbers, red pepper strips, walnuts, cheddar, pickles, apple slice, PB 

snack- cashews 

dinner- eggs, bacon, toast with PB and flaxseeds, peach, dark chocolate and a glass of wine. 

my blood sugar is great when I eat like this, and I’m starting to really see the difference on the scales. But I’m so bored of what I’m eating right now. Need to mix it up before I go back to my old easy habits. 

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, guava, mango, mulberries, cantaloupe, apple, pear, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Roasted mushrooms, kale, and spinach, topped with marinara and cashew "ricotta". Watermelon.

Dinner - Thai red curry with stir fry veggies, mushrooms, tofu, and spinach, served over cauliflower rice. A few veggie dumplings.

• Like 4

I tested negative this morning, so I came out to cook and do some laundry mainly. Kids have been doing a good job, but they were a little overwhelmed.

So, Tuesday:

Breakfast - honey nut cheerios with almond milk

Lunch - paleo chicken fingers and grapes and carrot sticks

Snack - cashews

Dinner - tilapia (thumbs up from the 4 who tried it) and "frozen fruit" (a frozen strawberry/banana/peach thingee I keep in the freezer for the summer)

Dessert - Youngest who has been cooking was excited to get back to baking, so vanilla gluten free cake with an ombre effect buttercream - Yum!

• Like 4

Breakfast- cashews and Diet Coke. Still addicted after the one day off:) 

lunch- mixed salad with garbanzos and chicken, balsamic and olive oil, walnuts and dark chocolate

dinner - out;) wine, bunless cheeseburger and fries. Not quite the same but pretty good. 

my glucose monitor fell off last night, but I’d say I was steady until dinner. We did walk for about 30 minutes after dinner to hopefully help with the French fries. 

• Like 4

Tuesday- 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese. 

snack- I am sick to death of lunch meat and goat cheese so I got a protein box from Starbucks. 6 Apple slices, 9 grapes, wedge brie cheese, cheddar cheese and gouda cheese. I threw out the crackers. I paid for my sin of having some fruit with elevated blood sugars. Sigh. 

dinner-  cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, green beans, ground beef, avocado; flaxseed brownie 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, cantaloupe, mulberries, figs, mango, guava, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, romaine & iceberg lettuce, tofu, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, scallions, mushrooms, bell peppers, wfpb 1000 island. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Tacos (corn tortillas, brown rice, chickpeas, spinach, avocado, cashew sour cream, red onion, cilantro, salsa). 

• Like 2

Tuesday:

Breakfast--Tea during class (NS). Ravenous afterward, Somehow I need to make it down the stairs ten minutes earlier to slam down a bowl of cereal. After class I had eggs and healthy gf pumpkin muffins with more tea (S).

Lunch--Since breakfast was so late, I wasn't starving. Ate two more healthy gf pumpkin muffins and some cherries. I'm not sure if those muffins count as carbs or not as they are made with almond flour.

Dinner--Pork chops and some fabulous millet-veg stirfry.

Snack--Just a few squares dark chocolate. (90% is my usual.)

• Like 2

Wednesday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese. 

snack - protein box with six apple slices, a couple of ounces of cheese, one hard boiled egg, corn chips. 

dinner- Filipino pork adobo, brown rice, flaxseed brownie. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

@Jean in Newcastlesorry about the fruit! It’s so frustrating to see those results after eating something that’s should be healthy. 

@Selkieyour meals amaze me! They’re always so healthy and with so many different nutrients. 

Breakfast- cashews and Diet Coke. 

lunch- chipotle salad with extra veggies and beans- but I also had a couple chips and queso 

dinner- cucumbers, carrots, walnuts, cheese crackers, a few potato chips. 

still no glucose monitor on- you can see the cheating! Chips and potato chips in the same day when I can’t get a reading.  Still a long way to go for me to get this under control. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Selkieyour meals amaze me! They’re always so healthy and with so many different nutrients. 

Thanks! I feel really good with a lot of plant diversity in my diet, and I love eating a wide variety of foods. My latest thing is trying some new-to-me whole grains, like kaniwa and freekeh.

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Kale and cabbage sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, cantaloupe, pineapple, apple, pear, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Thai red curry over cauliflower rice. Blackberries.

Dinner - Creamy potato and kale stew (recipe from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures - it was great). A whole grain bagel and strawberries.  

• Like 2

Friday

Breakfast--last two healthy gf muffins, tea (NS), eggs, grapes

Lunch--leftover millet-veg stirfry

Snack--dark chocolate, grapes, gf whole-grain crackers with a little cashew "ricotta" dip

Dinner--Grilled kielbasa, sauerkraut, baked potato, pickles, salad

Edited by Harriet Vane
wrote down the wrong day
  • Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, banana, guava, cantaloupe, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, romaine & iceberg lettuce, tofu, tomatoes, cauliflower, bell pepper, scallions, salsa. A mandarin.

Dinner - Leftover creamy potato kale stew and a whole grain bagel.

• Like 2

Thursday-  

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese. 

snack- lunch meat, goat cheese, shredded carrots 

dinner- Mongolian beef, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, bok choy, mung bean sprouts;  mint chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday

Breakfast--I made it down the stairs in time to eat before class, cha-ching. DF yogurt with low-sugar granola and a cup of tea.

Lunch--Leftover kielbasa with whole-grain crackers and sauerkraut. Grapes. 

Snack--Handful of chips. I really need to stop stocking them at all while I grapple with tamping down the salt craving. No chocolate today, though.

Dinner--Chicken street tacos, grapes. 

We binge-watched a TV show and shared a bowl of popcorn.

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, nectarine, banana, mango, mulberries, blueberries, apple, kiwi, guava, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens and lettuces, cilantro, purple sweet potato, tofu, acorn squash, beets, bell pepper, jalapeños, cauliflower, scallions, mushrooms, tangerine-stuffed olives, salsa.

Dinner - I made split pea soup in my new crockpot and it was heavenly. Got the recipe from someone on the Nutritarian Network - I jazzed it up a little, as usual. Yellow split peas, onion, lots of garlic, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, corn, green peas, spinach, veggie broth & cashew cream. Also a whole grain bagel.

• Like 1

Friday:

Breakfast--2 mini-cukes on my way out the door to PT. Not my finest hour.

Lunch--Chicken salad with gf whole-grain crackers, banana

Snack--Dark chocolate, also a handful of chips and some cherries. Unfortunately I also grabbed a mini-can of ginger ale. I had been napping and was in such a fog. Soda isn't usually much of a temptation for me, and we had the ginger ale leftover from Easter. In my fog I think I was just reaching for anything to pull me forcefully back into consciousness. This makes me think that after an event like that it's a good idea to either get rid of the extras we don't want or put them in a less accessible spot.

Dinner--Herbed salmon, jonnycakes (delightful, simple corn cakes) with homemade low-sugar apple butter, mango, salad.

• Like 2

Friday/

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese. 

snack- lunch meat, munster cheese, guacamole, shredded carrots 

dinner/ swimming Rama (pork, carrots, spinach, baby corn in a peanut sauce)

Mukilteo Mudd chocolate ice cream 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Catching up - it's been a really, really, really stressful end of week here. Post covid fatigue and a DD admitted to the hospital 

Wednesday: 

Breakfast - eggs ( I drizzled a little maple syrup on them - I like them that way)

Lunch - paleo waffle

Dinner - sloppy joe meat on a sweet potato

Probably ate a piece of cake on this day as well

Thursday:

Breakfast - maybe it was honey nut cheerios with almond milk?

Lunch - between jobs, so hardboiled egg, some turkey, carrot sticks & sugar snap peas

Dinner - BBQ chicken in the crockpot

Friday: 

Breakfast - honey nut cheerios with almond milk

Rest of the day was a blur: downed a piece of danish while at work, scooped a chunk of leftover buttercream while getting ready for ER trip, some nuts I found in a container in the bottom of my purse while sitting in the ER, and some chips from the bag of chips from her hospital dinner while we waited for her room

• Like 3

Saturday:

Breakfast--Oatmeal with a splash of maple syrup, plus df plain yogurt, frozen berries, walnuts.

Edited to add--coffee with almond milk and a splash of maple syrup with my oatmeal

Lunch--Chicken street tacos

Snack--banana, couple small squares dark chocolate, small handful chips with salsa

Dinner--GF/DF pizza, cherries

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, nectarine, pineapple, guava, mango, blueberries, mulberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens and lettuces, cilantro, tofu, radishes, jalapeños, tomatoes, bell pepper, beets, cauliflower, mushrooms, scallions, tangerine-stuffed olives. Sesame peanut dressing (first time I made it - great recipe from Dr. Fuhrman).

Dinner - Sushi (nori with brown rice, crispy tofu, avocado, cucumber, carrots, scallions, panko, black sesame seeds). Two small nectarines.

• Like 3

Saturday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- lunch meat, munster cheese, bread and butter pickles, mayonnaise 

dinner-  leftovers lentil soup 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, banana, nectarine, guava, pineapple, blackberries, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens and lettuces, bell pepper, tofu, tomatoes, jalapeños, carrots, green beans, corn, peas, mushrooms, tangerine-stuffed olives, spicy walnuts, wfpb sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Leftover split pea soup and sushi. Watermelon and cantaloupe.

• Like 3

Sunday-

Lunch- cup of vegetable soup, half of an apple walnut salad (greens, apples, walnuts, grapes, feta cheese, balsamic vinaigrette

snack- chocolate squares

Dinner - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

• Like 3

Sunday:

Breakfast--Our usual Sunday bonanza. Eggs with veg, sausage, potatoes. Tea (NS). Dh tends to fill the plates with heaping amounts in his Sunday-morning zeal. Today I am happy that I ate until full and did not overeat as sometimes happens when the food is on the plate.

Lunch--Leftover sausage, sauerkraut, banana.

Snack--Dh surprised me with a gorgeous gluten free lemon cake after I woke from a nap. Since it's made from almond flour and sweetened with maple syrup, it's a slightly healthier dessert option (though it still definitely counts as a sweet). Incredibly moist, wonderful recipe. Adjusting to a gluten free, dairy free life has been a tough road the last few years, and recipes like this one really help. It is genuinely delicious, without tasting weird or off as substitutes often do.

Dinner--Not as successful of a substitute as that glorious cake, unfortunately. We made gf, df baked eggplant parmesan. The crumb coating never got crispy, ugh. The df ricotta "cheese" (Kite Hill cashew cheese) was delicious and I am glad to have a cheese substitute I actually like. We had sauteed gf gnocchi on the side, which was fabulous. I've never prepared gnocchi that way before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Dinner--Not as successful of a substitute as that glorious cake, unfortunately. We made gf, df baked eggplant parmesan. The crumb coating never got crispy, ugh. The df ricotta "cheese" (Kite Hill cashew cheese) was delicious and I am glad to have a cheese substitute I actually like. We had sauteed gf gnocchi on the side, which was fabulous. I've never prepared gnocchi that way before.

I like the Kite Hill dairy free cheeses too. 

• Like 2

Fabulous day today, thanks to dh who decided to grill a lot. 

Breakfast--Low-sugar granola with almond milk.

Lunch and Dinner--We had the same thing for both meals. Slow-grilled meat (pork roast, brisket, chicken), watermelon, salad. 

Snack--Friends joined us for lunch out on the deck. For dessert I ate the same gorgeous gf cake from yesterday. I will freeze the rest for another day. My friends tried the cake and raved about it--this recipe does NOT taste gluten free. 

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, cantaloupe, banana, mango, kiwi, mulberries, figs, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens & lettuces, lentils, bell pepper, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, scallions, mushrooms, spicy walnuts, olives, wfpb sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Purple veggie burger (beet/red onion/carrot) on lavash flatbread with carrot-dill kraut, onions, pickles, and greens. Broccoli/cauliflower au gratin (wfpb version from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures).

• Like 4

Monday-

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

snack- lunch meat with munster cheese,  bread and butter pickles 

dinner-  I made a very yummy easy Memorial Day dinner.
Keto “potato “ salad with chunks of cauliflower instead of potatoes 

boiled corn on the cob 

bbq ribs that I made in the instant pot and then finished under the broiler 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Well my Memorial Day weekend was full of events that didn’t lead to the best food choices. I made better choices than I used to, but sugar in bbq sauce, chocolate covered strawberries and watermelon kind of through my sugar out of whack. 

I got some blood tests back and they were good except my hsCRP was high. So, I’m going to cut back on the meat and sausage that were allowing me to keep my carbs low and focus more on the veggies and fiber. Also- less Diet Coke! 

fasted so no breakfast. 

lunch- mixed green salad with pico and avocado and pumpkin seeds.

dinner- fajitas over greens 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Well my Memorial Day weekend was full of events that didn’t lead to the best food choices. I made better choices than I used to, but sugar in bbq sauce, chocolate covered strawberries and watermelon kind of through my sugar out of whack. 

I got some blood tests back and they were good except my hsCRP was high. So, I’m going to cut back on the meat and sausage that were allowing me to keep my carbs low and focus more on the veggies and fiber. Also- less Diet Coke! 

fasted so no breakfast. 

lunch- mixed green salad with pico and avocado and pumpkin seeds.

dinner- fajitas over greens 

I use  G Hughes Smokehouse Sauce BBQ Sugar Free Hickory Flavored.