Menu

May Healthy Eating

Selkie

Really a lovely day. 

Breakfast--oatmeal with frozen fruit, walnuts, and just a smidge of maple syrup. Also half-caf tea (NS).

Lunch--Ds made a casserole kinda like shepherd's pie--ground beef and onions and potatoes. Also ate 2 clementines.

Dinner--Bippibop. YUM. Pineapple for dessert.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and kale microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, scallions, radishes, grape tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, wfpb creamy balsamic. A mandarin and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Leftover Thai red curry ramen soup and a whole grain everything bagel.

• Like 3

Monday- another great blood sugar day. 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens. 1/2 flaxseed muffin. Goat cheese. 

snack- lunch meat, goat cheese, shredded carrots 

dinner- chicken carnitas, romaine lettuce, guacamole, corn, black beans, bell peppers, onions 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage and kale microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, figs, pear, apple, guava, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, grape tomatoes, scallions, chickpeas, blackberries, wfpb creamy balsamic.

Dinner - It turned hot and humid here (unusual for this time of year), so it was the perfect night for veggie sushi (nori, crispy tofu, sliced cukes and carrots, scallions, avocado, red cabbage, panko, sesame seeds).

• Like 3

The weird vagaries of blood sugars meant that despite eating the exact same things as other days my sugars were slightly higher all day. Fortunately they were still within the normal range. 

Tuesday- 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

dinner- ground beef, black beans, bell peppers, onions, corn, guacamole, romaine lettuce 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Breakfast—A banana and tea (NS) before class, then some breakfast sausage and an orange after class.

Lunch—Lettuce/lunchmeat rolls

Snack—Gf brownie

Dinner—Fabulous and super-healthy homemade Indian chicken in peppery red sauce, green beans, rice, mango.

• Like 3

Wednesday:

Breakfast: eggs

Lunch: bits and bobs from the fridge/pantry - some pepperoni, leftover ham, sugar snap peas & pistachios

Dinner: paleo waffles (new recipe - I told no one they were gluten/dairy free, 2 kids liked them "better than the usual", DH said, "mmmm, really, really good", one kid gave me the evil eye and said, "These are gluten free aren't they?" LOL

• Like 3

Wednesday -

Breakfast - Big bowl of broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, cauliflower, chickpeas, tomato, cuke, radishes, wfpb creamy balsamic. A sumo orange.

Dinner - Blistered shishito peppers and the rest of the veggie sushi.

• Like 3

Wednesday - same foods again and sugars came back down again.  I wonder if I was fighting a little something yesterday.

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mixed greens, mushrooms, onions.  1/2 flaxseed muffin.  Cow's milk cheese (but I've decided that I really like the taste of the goat cheese better.)

snack - lunch meat, goat cheese, shredded carrots

dinner - chicken carnitas, romaine lettuce, guacamole.  two squares of chocolate.

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 3

Breakfast: A banana before class and then a luscious orange right after class. Sipped some green tea (NS) while teaching.

Lunch: Leftover Indian chicken with rice. 

Snack: Cherries and a few dark chocolate squares (90%).

Dinner: Celebrating ds' birthday late--he's been home from uni for a few days and leaving again tomorrow. Ordered Chinese for his birthday dinner. I was overjoyed to find a yummy, gluten-free dish but also dismayed at the carbs today. My dinner was curried thin rice noodles with veg and pork. For dessert, I had just a small scoop of dairy-free ice cream. I will miss him--so proud of how adult he is and yet I wish my little boy were still home. 

• Like 3

Thursday:

Breakfast: hardboiled egg & the last of the ham

Lunch: leftover shrimp/sausage skillet thingee

Snack: an apple and some sugar snap peas

Dinner: I worked later than expected and my crockpot decided to burn the meatballs and sauce I had going in it. So, we all fended for ourselves. Last of the BBQ chicken lettuce wrap (still have lettuce, but chicken is gone - will have to make a different lettuce wrap), some nondairy yogurt and a handful of pistachios.

Today was apparently leftover day...

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, banana, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, bell pepper, radishes, tomato, cuke, beets, cauliflower, chickpeas, scallions, zucchini, summer squash, wfpb creamy balsamic.

Dinner - A purple veggie burger (beet/red onion/carrot) with a sprouted whole grain wrap, ginger-beet kraut, pickles, scallions, and spring mix. Purple sweet potato oven fries, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, 1/2 a baby watermelon.

• Like 3

Thursday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coyoyo (coconut yogurt), bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, shredded carrots; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese.

dinner - Keto creamy garlic chicken recipe I got off of Pinterest, 1/4 cup of brown rice.

I was really worried that I had sabotaged my blood sugars with the brown rice, even though the total carb count for dinner was 30 g. carbs.  But my sugars were stellar afterwards.  Woo hoo!

hard boiled eggs.

Oh - and I was running low on the keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola so we went to Costco tonight and got more.  I compared it to a couple of other grain free granolas but with a carb count of 2 g. carbs none of the others even come close. 

• Like 4

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, banana, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, chickpeas, bell peppers, carrots, cauliflower, beets, tomatoes, cukes, sunflower seeds, zucchini, summer squash, wfpb creamy balsamic. A sumo orange.

Dinner - Korean BBQ cauliflower with tofu, mushrooms, spinach, and scallions, served over black forbidden rice. Also had a bit of leftover salad from lunch with a new dressing that I made  - Dr. Fuhrman's cashew hemp Caesar dressing, which is seriously delicious.

• Like 3

Friday/  another excellent blood sugar day 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese. 

dinner-  Had chicken and veggies, extra veggies instead of rice, at the gf teriyaki place. (Cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, onions, mushrooms, broccoli).  Then we took  Juliet to the huge off leash dog park that’s nearby.   She’s tired and happy 

Hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 5

Thursday: Hard to remember but I'll try.

Breakfast--Cooked up a big breakfast for ds before he hit the road for his summer plans. Eggs, breakfast sausage, honeydew melon, orange juice.

Lunch--Big salad with lots of veg and some lunch meat.

Snacks--dark chocolate

Dinner--Fabulous vegan street tacos: kale, onion, garlic, white beans, avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime on corn tortillas. We also had tater tots--not the healthiest choice. Ah well.

Friday: Such a weird day with lots of fatigue after dry needling at PT office. I indulged in more dark chocolate just mindlessly in the tired fog.

Breakfast--An apple on the way to PT and some leftover breakfast sausage.

Lunch--a spoonful of peanut butter and a banana before working out. Then later some leftover vegan street tacos.

Snacks--dark chocolate, more than usual

Dinner--Stuffed peppers (green pepper, rice, ground beef, tomato sauce)

• Like 2

Back on healthy eating plan after a wild morning. DD had knee surgery this week, and it threw me for a loop. DH got me a coke this morning while he went out to Walmart. So I had a coke for the first time in about 8 weeks.

Breakfast: coke, breakfast sandwich

Lunch: last of the leftover pizza

Dinner: hamburger on sweet potato bun, spinach salad, grapes

• Like 3

I have had a ton of travel and general schedule disruption for a few months and realized I am landed for several weeks before we see dd and dsil in July. I am sick and tired of dragging around a suitcase and my mask supply, so I am really glad to be a hermit for a while. It's a convenient time to really buckle down and get super-consistent with diet and more targeted, rigorous exercise (have been struggling with neck/spine/shoulder/elbow dysfunction since October).

Breakfast--eggs with bacon, tea (S)

Lunch--Leftover white beans with kale and onion, also had some honeydew melon

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--Leftover Indian pepper chicken, salad, gf chapattis

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Big bowl of mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, cantaloupe, pineapple, mango, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, summer squash, bell pepper, radishes, beets, mushrooms, and a chopped up purple veggie burger. Topped with cashew hemp Caesar dressing.

Dinner - Leftover Korean BBQ cauliflower/tofu/mushrooms/spinach with black forbidden rice. Shared 1/2 a baby watermelon with my dogs.

• Like 2

Saturday-

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese 

Hard one hour workout with my personal trainer. My sugars have been slightly elevated since. (It’s a known side effect of hard workouts but it frustrates me since I am trying so hard to keep my sugars low. )

dinner-  chicken and veggies, extra veggies instead of rice (Cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, onions, mushrooms, broccoli).

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, pineapple, cantaloupe, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, blackberries, lentils, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, beets, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, a couple slices of avocado mashed with kimchi, cashew hemp Caesar dressing.

Dinner - Veggie loaf (made of oats, chickpeas, lots of veggies), baked navy beans, leftover purple and orange sweet potato oven fries, roasted cauliflower and broccoli.

• Like 4

Sunday-

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt 

lunch-  cheeseburger with no bun, cup of fruit ( honeydew melon, pineapple, grapes, blueberries)

snack- bone broth, chocolate squares 

dinner- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Monday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with almond milk, cup of tea (NS)

Lunch--Spread out in two smaller, snack portions. First white bean street tacos and 2 small bananas, then later a gf bunless burger and fries. 

Snack--2 squares dark chocolate

Dinner--Homemade vegan smorgasbord. Fried cauliflower buffalo bites, curry rice, salad, carrots and celery sticks.

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, guava, mango, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chopped salad with mixed greens, romaine, red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, avocado, carrots, beets, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, quinoa, lentils, carrot-dill kraut, cashew hemp Caesar dressing.

Dinner - A smaller salad with wfpb thousand island and wild rice with lentils, chickpeas, and roasted mushrooms.

• Like 2

Monday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, cocoyo yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese

dinner - cauliflower "rice" (which believe me, does not fool my taste buds one bit), grilled chicken and veggies (portabella mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, yellow squash) grilled pineapple.

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Monday -

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, cocoyo yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese

dinner - cauliflower "rice" (which believe me, does not fool my taste buds one bit), grilled chicken and veggies (portabella mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, yellow squash) grilled pineapple.

hard boiled eggs.

Jean, I'm not crazy about cauliflower "rice" either. Sometimes I substitute millet, which while still a grain, does have a much lower glycemic index. (Or so they say--best do your own research to make sure it can be a fit.) Sometimes I use quinoa, and I really love black rice or purple rice, both of which are more nutritious than white rice. Just some options. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was traveling last week, and did ok with healthy meals for the most part. Lots of salads, which I eat more out than at home. I hate to prepare salads. 

yesterday- breakfast- cashews, steel cut oats with flaxseed and peanut butter. Messed my sugar readings up - big spike- even with all that added fat and fiber, but I was pretty full all day. 

Snack- more dry roasted cashews

dinner- steak and lots of veggies with some black beans. Dark chocolate. 

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar (on the way to an appointment). Once back home, I had my usual bowl of mixed microgreens and muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, honeydew melon, figs, mulberries, mango, kiwi, blueberries, apple, pear, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Smashed chickpea salad on a bed of romaine lettuce with cauliflower, broccoli, edamame, beets, tomatoes, red onion, green olives, spicy walnuts, wfpb thousand island dressing.

Dinner - Tofu scrambles with onion, scallions, garlic, mushrooms, bell peppers, edamame, celery, spinach, kale. Roasted root veggies (beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots). Wfpb sausage made of oats, walnuts, and assorted veggies. Whole grain toast.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 3

Wednesday:

Breakfast: eggs (I cooked DD's & mine together and gave her the greater portion; I must've shorted mine because I was HUNGRY by 11 am)

Snack: apple I found in the bottom of my purse

Lunch: leftover kielbasa, carrot sticks, and grapes

Dinner: paleo waffle

Started on my grocery list & menu plan. It's getting hard to have enough food to last a week within our budget - our cupboards are looking a little light here for a Wednesday (I normally shop Fri/Sat). 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and kale sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with soybeans, honeydew, mango, kiwi, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Smashed chickpea salad on a bed of mixed greens with lentils, quinoa, cauliflower, carrots, beets, olives, carrot-dill kraut, spicy walnuts, cashew hemp Caesar dressing. A mandarin.

Dinner - Round 2 of the tofu scrambles I made yesterday. Tonight, we had them in breakfast sandwiches on lavash flatbread with mashed avocado and greens, topped with salsa. So good. Roasted root veggies and oat/veggie "sausage" on the side, and some blistered shishito peppers.

• Like 3

Breakfast--Quick banana and a handful of granola before class. Also tea (NS)

Lunch--Eggs, 1 clementine

Snack--GF, low-sugar granola bar, and a banana. Later I realized I was shaky-starving, likely due to eating so little for the first 2/3 of the day, so I had some leftover sloppy joe meat with cassava crackers and some cherries.

Dinner--Yummy portabella mushroom sandwich on gf fougasse, big salad.

• Like 3

Wednesday:  another good blood sugar day despite a risky experiment!

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese.

snack - lunch meat, goat cheese, shredded carrots.

and now the experiment:  dinner :  I didn't have to cook tonight so I picked up a "Good Food Made Simple" buffalo style chicken gf pasta bake in the frozen section of the grocery store.  It has 29g protein and 41 g. carbs but I boosted the protein by adding in some goat cheese and I boosted the nutrition by adding in some spinach leaves towards the end of cooking. 

Then I took a brisk walk in the gusty winds afterwards with Juliet.  My blood sugars are perfect.

evening snack - hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 4

@Jean in Newcastlei’m glad your pasta experiment worked out! I have found I can handle carbs a lot better in the evening, and walking after a meal always helps. 

I had a pretty good Wednesday as well.

breakfast- dry roasted cashews and Diet Coke 

lunch- big mixed salad with avocado and chicken sausage 

Snack- I had 1/2 teaspoon of raw edible cookie dough - spike đŸ™‚Â crazy how such a tiny amount of sugar causes a rise in me. Before I wouldn’t have thought that was enough to have any affect 

dinner- wine, grilled romaine salad, chicken satay with coleslaw and stir fry veggies. 

Pretty good veggie consumption day for me. 

• Like 3

Thursday: weird day - tested positive for Covid this morning - got the call just as I arrived at work, so did like 2 things and left. Now in quarantine with the other 2 members of my family who also have it, with the youngest 2 (not sick) taking care of the food, etc. Feel ok, stuffy (but can still smell), cough, maybe a little tired - similar to a cold.

Anyway,

Breakfast: eggs & a breakfast sausage

Lunch (I was supposed to work both jobs today, so in-the-car lunch was packed): deli turkey, some pepperoni, a hardboiled egg, some carrot sticks

Snack (probably pure boredom): nuts and some dark chocolate chips

Dinner (was in the crockpot this morning): chicken taco meat (no tortilla), some grapes

• Like 3

@historically accurate, so sorry to hear that. I hope you all have mild symptoms and speedy recoveries!

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with canary beans, mango, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries, apple, pear, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, quinoa, crispy tofu, avocado, tomatoes, mushrooms, beets, scallions, cashew hemp Caesar dressing. A sliced apple with hazelnut butter.

Dinner - Spicy Japanese eggplant pizza.

• Like 3

Breakfast: Some leftover sloppy joe meat with cassava crackers, banana, green tea (NS)

Lunch: Polished off the last dregs of sloppy joe. Also had gf flatbread. 

Snack: Handful of chips and a tiny bit of dark chocolate.

Dinner: Veg stirfry with rice noodles, also had an orange and some leftover crisp homemade cauliflower buffalo bites.

• Like 3

Thursday-

breakfast - keto blueberry cinnamon granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cheese.

snack - lunch meat, goat cheese, shredded carrots,

dinner - Filipino pork adobo, green beans, flaxseed chocolate brownie

evening snack - hard boiled eggs

• Like 3

I'm feeling pretty good about this day. We're making some allowances for a special occasion, but I have not gone overboard. I'm happy that it's a yummy day and my treats were within reasonable bounds.

Breakfast--Lovely veg hash with just a bit of ham, also decaf coffee with almond milk and no sugar.

Lunch--Tuna salad with rice crackers, banana.

Dinner--Tacos (just meat, onion, cilantro, corn tortillas). Also cherries.

Snack--GF/DF muffins, and one lovely chocolate bar.

• Like 3

Thursday-

breakfast- nuts and Diet Coke 

lunch- chipotle salad no rice, light beans, extra veggies 

dinner- wine, charcuterie, Greek salad with grilled chicken, two bites of chocolate cake 

Friday- 

breakfast- chick fil a Cobb salad

lunch- dry roasted cashews

dinner- big salad with chicken, avocado, black beans, salsa, dark chocolate, wine 

• Like 4