Menu

s/o vacation: Where to book international airline tickets? Lodging?

elegantlion

I'm planning a trip to London for the fall to do archival research for my dissertation. I received funding and need to book the ticket in the next week or so. I've looked at expedia, AAA (I'm a member), and just through the airline's website. Is there a benefit to booking through either one - the flights I'm looking at right now either American or United.  Prices are consistent across all three. 

I'm still looking at lodging and may try to rent through Expedia. I'm still deciding on that but I'll be staying near Earl's Court if anyone has suggestions for a hotel or VRBO type situation. I'll be there about 3 weeks, so that's going to be my biggest expense. 

I'm obviously going to tickets that be changed and places with very liberal cancellation policies just in case. I don't have an airline specific credit card, so I'm not so worried about points right now. I'm also a pretty minimal traveler, so I'll be doing carry on only.

• Like 1

I always begin on Google Flights.

NOTE: It is always safest for the passenger to book directly with the airline. If you book via an OTA (Online Travel Agency) or a regular travel agency (brick and mortar) and there is an issue you must not contact the airline. They will tell you to contact your OTA or your travel agency. That is because if you do not buy directly from the airline you are NOT the customer of the airline, you are the customer of the OTA or Travel Agency and need to go to them if you need help. That is true. 

NOTE: Something I ran into for DD a few months ago when she was going to return from Germany to NC.  In Google Flights...

When I checked to select the flight and check out, it showed different ways to pay and the cost.  The flight was a CodeShare operated by KLM mostly (2 of 3 flights) but also had a Delta flight number.  By buying her ticket from Delta Airlines, the savings on the one way ticket was more than 100 USD.  And she doesn't have a KLM Frequent Flyer number but she does have a Delta Frequent Flyer number.

DD ended up coming home on American, which is a low cost no frills airline (assuming you are in Coach) but they will get you where you are going safely.  They are not known here for food and DD said their B737 MAX aircraft don't have Entertainment systems (despite what their web site shows)  but again it is inexpensive and it is safe.

I don't know about you getting a ticket that is fully refundable. Normally that will cost an arm and a leg, but sometimes the airlines sell inexpensive insurance for that during the check out and payment process.

Note: DD said that it doesn't seem possible but that the American terminal where she changed planes in Heathrow was worse than the KLM terminal in Schipol where she had changed planes before. Hopefully you will not be there a long time.

NOTE: DD said the food on AA from Heathrow to JFK was very good. 

Congrats on your continued education and on your time in the UK!

You need to buy a set of plug adapters to fit into the wall plugs in other countries and then plug your U.S. style plugs into the adaptor.  Also you need to read the tiny print on the AC chargers for your cell phone and your laptop and be sure that the AC Voltage Input range is approximately 100 to 240 volts.

• Like 3

I don't know if this would affect you or not, but just a little heads up. Dh gets travel points through hotel.com for hotel rooms. We have also booked through Travelocity and Expedia before. We have had an issue a couple of times where, in the middle of the stay, we needed to change the arrangements. Because we were booked that way rather than through the hotel or chain itself, we could not make the change without some cost to us. At least, that is what we were told (I have my suspicions about one situation). In one case, the hotel room was nasty and triggering our allergies like crazy, and we needed to leave after the first night (when we arrived late and just needed to sleep). I won't go into the other situation--doesn't pertain. Anyway, be aware of that possibility, just in case. 

ETA: Basically, we couldn't deal directly with the hotels themselves--we had to go back through the online source.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I don't know if this would affect you or not, but just a little heads up. Dh gets travel points through hotel.com for hotel rooms. We have also booked through Travelocity and Expedia before. We have had an issue a couple of times where, in the middle of the stay, we needed to change the arrangements. Because we were booked that way rather than through the hotel or chain itself, we could not make the change without some cost to us. At least, that is what we were told (I have my suspicions about one situation). In one case, the hotel room was nasty and triggering our allergies like crazy, and we needed to leave after the first night (when we arrived late and just needed to sleep). I won't go into the other situation--doesn't pertain. Anyway, be aware of that possibility, just in case. 

ETA: Basically, we couldn't deal directly with the hotels themselves--we had to go back through the online source.

Book with the hotel or whatever directly. It's impossible to change anything once things go wrong with the hotel through the consolidation companies. 

• Like 2

Does your University have a travel department?  If your grant is coming through your University, and not directly to you, I'd book through them, because they probably know about any odd restrictions you might be subject to.  For example, if your grant came from some agency of the US Federal government, you may be subject to the Fly America act, and be required to book travel on US-carriers.  Some academic institutions may not allow VRBO or other non-traditional venue.  You may be subject to a per-diem maximum of how much you can spent, even if your funding covers it.

Edited by PaxEtLux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've used Google Flights to search for deals and then book directly through the airline.

We've always stayed at AirBnB's and had wonderful luck. We love having a kitchen. We always check the map to make sure they are close to public transportation and of course read the posting details, reviews, and look at pictures. We also looked into their cancellation policies as many have free cancellation until close to date.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the reminder about booking directly through the airline. I went ahead and booked last night as prices were very similar to when I checked a few weeks ago. I also was afraid they'd take a steep jump if I wait.

This was not a university grant, it's just a lump sum from an organization affiliated with the university. I just have to submit a report (no receipts) afterward or return the money should the trip not happen. 

Now off to look at your lodging suggestions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...