Menu

Furniture refresh, peel and stick wallpaper

fairfarmhand

I have this hutch that I use to display my grandmothers dishes. I’m thinking of adding a peel and stick wallpaper to the back of the shelves. Would that look ok? I’m thinking something in the light colors. With a subtle pattern that won’t take away from the dishes that I love to display. What do you think?

(ive toyed with the idea of painting the hutch in the future. Red, if I paint it.) 

631CAC46-92DC-4F04-9820-3CA4D1451A2A.jpeg

I think it would look fine, but it would probably be more work than painting it red. I’d probably go for a cranberry milk paint in a historic color, but that’s only because I’ve been dying to paint some furniture red ever since I saw them paint a red desk on Stone House Revival like 5 years ago. Like many men, DH is instinctively against painting wood. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KatieInMN said:

I think it would look great. I would do that rather than paint, because I hate painting. Dh would paint it.
Actually he wouldn’t. He doesn’t think anyone should paint wood. 🙈

This! Oh my gosh. Dh has this mental break down over painting wood. Dd and I have all kinds of ideas for some distressed wood items and what not, and Mark just gets this depressed, puppy dog, anxiety riddled face and whines, 'But we don't paint wood!" I tell him to go eat a piece of chocolate, grab a cup of coffee, and chill because it will all be over with soon. You'd think we said we were going to roast his pet rabbit or something. 😂

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This! Oh my gosh. Dh has this mental break down over painting wood. Dd and I have all kinds of ideas for some distressed wood items and what not, and Mark just gets this depressed, puppy dog, anxiety riddled face and whines, 'But we don't paint wood!" I tell him to go eat a piece of chocolate, grab a cup of coffee, and chill because it will all be over with soon. You'd think we said we were going to roast his pet rabbit or something. 😂

You don't paint wood that you like the look of. 

Wood you dislike, that doesnt' go with your furnishings, have at it! Why live for years with something you dislike just because it is "better" or "more authentic" or whateve.r 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

We just moved from a house we lived in for 25 years. Paneled den, only thr patio door for outside windows. Wood beams. The paneling was very nice looking wood, but it was dated and dark. I always wanted to paint it…at least half way to lighten up thr room. He had a the exact same reaction…..mental breakdown. I lost Thst one every time. I hear the new owners want an all White House…..I assume That room will be the first wood they paint. 

No worries…I did get custom kitchen and bathrooms over the years. And yes, it may be painted white someday. Sigh. 

• Like 1