Menu

Warmest snow boots needed

Kanin

Hi everyone, I need recommendations for really warm snow boots. No matter what boots I wear, my feet start out toasty and then freeze. Even the tow warmers don’t really work. I’m suffering through chilblains right now because a few walks in the cold, and I thought chilblains were only for people from the olden days, lol. I’m also interested in warm hiking-boot type boots in addition to snow boots, for snowshoeing. ❄️

Steger Mukluks.  They outfit Iditarod teams and Antarctic expeditions.  Pricy, but extremely durable.  (you can also use them for snowshoeing, as well as just walking.)   eta: price differences are mostly only about style, not warmth.

Also makes a difference - are you wearing silk or wool socks?  Stay away from cotton if you want to stay warm.

Edited by gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

What air temperatures are you dealing with?  I like my Oboz, but I don't know if they are thick enough for you - our winter temperatures hover around freezing.

Right now it's around 10-15 degrees F. My current boots seem good enough for 30-40 degrees. 

• Like 1

My favorite pair of boots for walking or hiking are ice bugs.  They have literally transformed my winter outlook.  Those are studded.  I like to wear them with hiking smart wool socks, something with a little padding.  

what are you wearing now?  That might help.  I also have sorrels and Ugg and have had mukluks, I have a pair of lined ankle boots from alegría I use for running errands that are suprisingly warm but probably not great for hiking.   The uggs are WARM but not great for walking.  The socks make a huge difference for me and staying warm in my boots.  

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Steger Mukluks.  They outfit Iditarod teams and Antarctic expeditions.  Pricy, but extremely durable.  (you can also use them for snowshoeing, as well as just walking.)   eta: price differences are mostly only about style, not warmth.

Also makes a difference - are you wearing silk or wool socks?  Stay away from cotton if you want to stay warm.

Beautiful!!

I've been wearing cotton because I got them for Xmas. Will go back to the wool. 

1 hour ago, catz said:

My favorite pair of boots for walking or hiking are ice bugs.  They have literally transformed my winter outlook.  Those are studded.  I like to wear them with hiking smart wool socks, something with a little padding.  

what are you wearing now?  That might help.  I also have sorrels and Ugg and have had mukluks, I have a pair of lined ankle boots from alegría I use for running errands that are suprisingly warm but probably not great for hiking.   The uggs are WARM but not great for walking.  The socks make a huge difference for me and staying warm in my boots.  

I have Bogs that are almost worn out, and Kamiks. The studded boots sound interesting! It's SO icy here. 

• Like 1

I have found that no matter what boots I buy, if I don't have wool socks, I am cold. Having sheep on your feet really does the job.

I have also found that if I can buy men's boots, the quality and cold rating are better, such is the misogyny of the fashion industry. Currently I am wearing men's size 6.5 (head to order them because TSC doesn't carry them that small) work/snow boot. Feet are toasty warm with wood socks. My only issue is that for support on the bottoms of my feet, they failed me the other day working outside in the wood. We have been having temps.10-20 degrees with wind chills below zero. I think they would have been fine if I hadn't been standing on frozen, iced over ground for so long. I may as well have been standing on cement all day.

31 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I have Bogs that are almost worn out, and Kamiks. The studded boots sound interesting! It's SO icy here. 

Not instead of warmer boots, but have you tried ice cleats, like these:  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/514536?originalProduct=92023&productId=1533149&attrValue_0=Black&sku=0RBH810008&pla1=0&mr%3AtrackingCode=1B731F03-BFE7-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr%3AreferralID=NA&mr%3Adevice=c&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3125237&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7ySpqXL9QIV2fvjBx0eIAchEAQYAiABEgK2i_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&SN=flyout_test05&SS=B&SN2=inventorySortTest01&SS2=A

We often wear them hiking, or even in the neighborhood when it’s icy like this. They do make a huge difference.

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

These look nicer than the attachable ice cleats I've tried.  I had removable cleats for years I used on and off.  But the ice cleats I have tried were not nearly as sturdy and reliable as the cleated boots for people on their feet a lot in snowy and icy conditions.  The cleated boots aren't for everyone though, they are very expensive.  I justified them by acknowledging that I won't be paying for live classes or a gym while covid is surging.  I have been using the same pair for 2 winters now.  I do walk outside almost every day in the winter in ice, snow, etc in Minnesota.  In some conditions it is nice having ski poles along too.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, catz said:

These look nicer than the attachable ice cleats I've tried.  I had removable cleats for years I used on and off.  But the ice cleats I have tried were not nearly as sturdy and reliable as the cleated boots for people on their feet a lot in snowy and icy conditions.  The cleated boots aren't for everyone though, they are very expensive.  I justified them by acknowledging that I won't be paying for live classes or a gym while covid is surging.  I have been using the same pair for 2 winters now.  I do walk outside almost every day in the winter in ice, snow, etc in Minnesota.  In some conditions it is nice having ski poles along too.  

I saw my first pair of cleated boots yesterday while hiking! The trail actually wasn’t icy, as it turned out, and I thought they seemed difficult—in the same way the removable cleats are— on all the exposed granite and roots, but they sure looked fantastic for more appropriate conditions (ie my neighborhood right now!). I agree they would be worth the expense; as I get older I am ever more mindful of stability issues and find myself more cautious than I used to be. 

editing to add that the boots I saw (actually, heard) yesterday weren’t nearly as nice as the Ice Bugs you have. I’m reading that the studs actually spring back into the sole on hard surfaces (so, like dry pavement?) which is suuuuuper cool and removes the issues I wondered about on roots or rock. I might have to put a pair on my Christmas list next year… 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I'm in Alaska. The most important factor with winter boots is making sure they are roomy enough. Tight boots (and tight socks) will ensure cold feet.

I've used various boots through the years. This year I have used my OOFOS boots quite a bit because I'm fighting plantar fasciitis. 🙂 I like Bogs pretty well, Stegers are okay. In the end, it's really about the fit.

Editing to add ice cleat opinion: Kahtoolas are very popular for hiking here. I just wore them yesterday with my Hoka hiking boots on a four mile snowy trail hike. 🙂

Edited by GoodGrief3
  • Like 3

I wore ice cleats before I got my Ice Bugs, and the Ice Bugs are a million times better - more sturdy and stable and they don't need to be adjusted and repositioned all the time like cleats. Plus, the cleats break fairly often if you wear them on a daily basis. Ice Bugs are a real lifesaver for us since we spend so much time on icy ground while caring for our horses.

They ship from Sweden, but mine got here super fast. I love their slogan: "Safe Grip, Free Mind".🙂

If you want boots you can use for snowshoeing and winter hiking, I'd recommend a pair with laces for stability and a boot firm enough so the snowshoe straps don't dig into your foot/ankle. You'll also need a boot that goes up high enough so the snowshoe strap is on the boot and not the back of your ankle.

Winter boots can get pretty heavy, and adding the weight of snowshoes makes walking an even bigger work-out. If you are able to shop in-person, you'll have a chance to gage the boot weight. It's harder to do this when shopping on-line.

I lucked out and found a pair of men's boots on super sale. If you wear size 9 women, you can often fit size 7 men. I find the toe box is a little wider than women's boots tend to be, and this allows me to wear thicker socks and my toes don't usually freeze. It's often when toes are scrunched into the boot that they'll get cold faster. 

I remember on other thread about winter boots, some people have had good success keeping their feet warm using Hot Hands packets to place in your mitts or boots. I have a bag of these I haven't even used yet, even though I've been been out walking in temps of -20F this week.