Menu

January- Healthy Eating Challenge- Week 2

Soror

Breakfast - black tea, 1/3 c Oatmeal cooked in water

Mid morning snack - small piece of homemade wheat bread, the heel, toasted with thin peanut butter

Lunch - small salad, small sweet potato, couple pieces raw broccoli, 1 clementine 

Snack - celery. double chocolate cookie.

Dinner - salad with salsa and guacamole,  Pinto beans and very small serving rice, 1 flour tortilla with a couple pieces of steak and lots of peppers, guacamole. 1/2 flan.  Delicious but really more carbs then I should have had at night. I really enjoyed it though and did a better workout this morning.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Fortunately, there’s no wine in the house. 😉 I am indulging in a large Diet Coke which isn’t at all healthy. Note to self: do not take the dog to McDonald’s on an empty stomach. I ordered a Filet O Fish no cheese/add shredded lettuce. The lettuce makes it ok, right? 😂

I haven’t planned dinner, but it will definitely include veggies. I will not be over my calorie budget, so I’m good there. 

Quoting to update…

I had a big salad with diced chicken with taco seasoning, ranch dressing. 

My tummy has been unsettled and upset today, so I had a small piece of sourdough toast with butter late this afternoon. I normally don’t snack. 

A couple of hours after dinner, I had the same issue. So I’ve had too many carbs today. At least sourdough is lower on the glycemic index than regular white bread. I haven’t logged all my food today, but I’m betting the snacks put me over my calorie budget. 

• Like 3

Weds: feeling pretty good.  stepped on the scale and I am back to what I was before dh and I went on our trip away last weekend.  That just means the bloat from the extra indulgence is gone! Onward to lower numbers!

- Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with cheese, bacon, mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes (Approx 300 calories.) That will keep me full until about 1.

- Lunch:  Sushi (Approx 330 calories) 

- Dinner: Pork Loin, roasted broc and cauliflower, quinoa, salad (haven't calculated calories yet.)

- Snack: Any veggies I want and a chocolate protein shake (haven't calculated)

• Like 3

On 1/9/2022 at 2:56 AM, Laura Corin said:

Happy Birthday @GoVanGogh!

Thank you. 
I had planned my birthday meals a week in advance, then the restaurant I had selected was closed bc of Covid. Happy pivot. We found a lovely Italian place to go to. I was still able to enjoy a nice meal without it being bad on the healthy eating. We started with the farmer’s market grazing board and it was phenomenal. Roasted vegetables, white beans, pesto sauce and gluten free bread. I would go back and just order that as a meal, and it gave me some ideas for cooking at home. 

• Like 5

My main goals are to eat as close to plant based, whole food as possible. 
This week has gone well. I did make pumpkin pie last night, but it was homemade at least. 
I am making vegetarian enchiladas tonight for supper with zucchini and peppers that I froze this summer. (From farmer’s market, so locally grown.) 
I got a Vitamix in early December and am doing so much better with making a vegan protein shake for lunch. Yesterday’s shake had about two cups of greens from my garden. (Kale, parsley, microgreens, etc.) 

• Like 3

Rough night last night. Was up multiple times with nerve pain. The worst is this feeling that I get where I want to jump out of my own skin. This was all triggered by my workout yesterday. (I do have an appointment with my neurologist set up and will discuss this. )

Anyway-  the reason I mention it here on a healthy eating thread is because in the past I have “treated “ pain and fatigue by eating more to keep me going. Not a good strategy (though it did help keep me functional when the children were little). 

• Sad 3

I feel so much better today. So thankful. I’ve also been in the kitchen a lot. Baking bread is very therapeutic for me. Sourdough is such a miracle. I took two loaves to friends, and I’ve got dough bulk fermenting atm.

Lunch today was chicken gizzard confit. A side of chopped romaine and iceberg lettuce with homemade balsamic vinaigrette (store bought has way too much sugar). I was ticked off because half my romaine froze. Such a waste. 😕

For dinner I thawed out brisket I smoked in November—reheated sous vide. Baked rice pilaf, and roasted turnip root (sounds starchy, but it's actually low carb and good nutrient profile). I would prefer more green veggies but I’m still working the pantry challenge—trying to use up what I already have. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

Breakfast started off with microgreens and then a muesli/bean bowl which included pecans, walnuts, blueberries, apple, figs, 3 seeds, and walnut milk. (Today is the day my produce boxes arrive, so I was running low on interesting fruit choices this morning.)

Lunch was rushed because I was so busy - leftover tacos with tofu, brown rice, chickpeas, guacamole, and microgreens.

Was hungry this afternoon after working outside for a few hours, so I had a more substantial snack than usual - baked tortilla chips and hummus.

Dinner was cauliflower gnocchi with garlic, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash, topped with marinara. Had some bread, too.

• Like 3

I did not reach my goal last week (3+ veggies/fruits per day) because of the two snow days, when I did not eat well 😞 I was home from work and DS (with special needs) was home from school and DD was getting ready to head back to campus so my schedule was weird. So this week my goal is, again, to eat at least 3 veggies/fruits a day, with a focus on variety.

An aside worth mentioning: The school district where I am a permanent sub started offering free lunch to subs 2.5 years ago (pre-covid and unrelated to the whole free school meal thing). At first, I continued bringing my lunches of leftovers. One day I forgot my lunch and got lunch from the cafeteria (I do not actually eat it in the cafeteria which currently feels like the wild west) and it was quite good! I was impressed by all the fruit and veggies available, many of them fresh. And from then on, I have eaten lunch form the cafeteria every school day. The food is decent and quite healthy. However, I have realized that the biggest draw for me is the convenience and utter lack of effort on my part. I have been the person in my family in charge of food for so. many. years. Planning it, making the grocery lists, going to the store, putting away the groceries, cooking it, etc. DH helps (and DD before she went to college), but the full mental load is on me. So I have decided that having lunch planned, purchased, and prepared for me every day is nothing short of awesome. I especially like the fruits and veggies that are washed and cut for me. And it's free 🙂 I am finding that I eat a better variety of produce this way, too.

This week so far (only listing the fruits and vegetables):

Monday: cabbage slaw, steamed broccoli, red grapes, salad (Romaine, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots)
Tuesday: blueberries, salad (Romaine, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots), bean salad (black beans, tomatoes, green peppers, red onions, cilantro)
Wednesday: sliced cucumbers, 1 banana, mandarin oranges, fruit salad (kiwi, melon, pineapple), spaghetti squash

• Like 5

I've not done well this week. I've met my goals but have not stayed away from chocolate. Sigh. Today is yet again a fresh new day. I *am* making a healthier dessert option today.

WIP---

b- homemade granola,yogurt, blueberries, cherries

l- lentied curry (w/ tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, zucchini) w/ sprouted grain/bean mix

d- probably leftover cilantro rice, black beans, peppers, onions, quick slaw

s: some kind of bean brownie/blondie

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

Yesterday, I ate a little off my plan but still stayed in the calorie budget.  

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, seared salmon, spinach

Lunch: chicken and veggie wrap

Dinner: shrimp stir fry

Still no intentional exercise because I'm still recovering from covid but I do intend on spending at least an hour cleaning and reorganizing the rest of the dining room and kitchen 

• Like 4

Since we can't go shopping, we are eating up the produce and from the pantry/freezer.

B: Homemade sourdough toast with pb and homemade peach butter (Hubby ate lots, I ate a small amount) + leftover salads for me (I like savory breakfasts). Apple wedges.

L:  Chicken stir-fry (with onions, red pepper, summer squash, carrots, mushrooms, and Thai sauce), yellow rice, oranges for dessert.

Supper:  l/o Sweet Potato&Feta Phyllo Tart (from Olive Tomato Website).

• Like 4

Yesterday I forgot to post

Breakfast. Black tea. 2/3 c all bran, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1/2 c milk

Lunch - salad with Pinto beans, salsa and guacamole. Half a tortilla with guacamole, a bowl (1 c) Pinto beans.

Snacks - 1 large apple, couple stalks broccoli 

Dinner, I had bad news and lost my appetite. I had about 3 bites salad, then ate my chicken Parmigiano so it wouldn't get soggy. 2 small pieces of breaded chicken breast fried in olive oil with red sauce.

• Like 1

Breakfast: Microgreens, muesli/bean bowl with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, apple, pistachios, walnuts, 3 seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch: Big salad with quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, carrots, yellow squash, topped with pecan balsamic dressing. Oh, and I threw in a few leftover cauliflower gnocchi.

Snack: Mandarins

Dinner will be spring rolls (rice paper wrappers with avocado, cucumber, carrots, red bell pepper, rice noodles, scallions, red cabbage, and spring mix) with spicy peanut dipping sauce. These are my favorite, so I plan to eat a big pile of them.

• Like 3

I did it,

I lost 4 1/2  kg in just over 2 weeks. I Am now below max weight for hight, just. Would like to lose another 3 

but I am now extremely light headed, feel pretty washed out. I am sticking to a calorie counter and eating correctly. Not starving myself or anything.I think it is just lack of chocolate and chocolate withdrawals symptoms.

• Like 5

Forgot to add this to my post with my food log.  Did my arms strength training workout this morning while still fasting.  Blood sugars still did fine.

I get badly nauseated every morning around 11:30 am  But each time I test my sugars and they are within acceptable parameters.  And I have been getting even lower blood sugars without any nausea at all.  But it seems to go away after five minutes or so, so I am just ignoring it. 

• Like 2

Thursday--still eating what I have in the fridge/freezer/pantry, but tomorrow I'm getting some fresh produce delivered.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in a teaspoon of butter

Lunch: 3 oz of leftover chicken gizzard confit which includes some added fat, 40 grams sourdough bread with a teaspoon butter

Dinner: 3.5 oz boneless ribeye steak, 4 oz carrots roasted in EVOO, onion and bell pepper sauteed in butter, 60 grams sourdough with a teaspoon of butter. 

I'm at 928 calories. 

I do not feel like I've lost even a pound. I plan to weigh tomorrow morning.

ETA dd and I split a hamburger on whole wheat at midnight. I’m logging it on Thursday. That put me at 1330 calories for the day—my budget is 1245. Oh well, dd and I are having a sleepover in the basement tonight. Sweet times. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Spirea said:

Yesterday I forgot to post

Breakfast. Black tea. 2/3 c all bran, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1/2 c milk

Lunch - salad with Pinto beans, salsa and guacamole. Half a tortilla with guacamole, a bowl (1 c) Pinto beans.

Snacks - 1 large apple, couple stalks broccoli 

Dinner, I had bad news and lost my appetite. I had about 3 bites salad, then ate my chicken Parmigiano so it wouldn't get soggy. 2 small pieces of breaded chicken breast fried in olive oil with red sauce.

Sorry for bad news, but sounds like you ate well the rest of the day 🙂

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I did it,

I lost 4 1/2  kg in just over 2 weeks. I Am now below max weight for hight, just. Would like to lose another 3 

but I am now extremely light headed, feel pretty washed out. I am sticking to a calorie counter and eating correctly. Not starving myself or anything.I think it is just lack of chocolate and chocolate withdrawals symptoms.

☹️

Today's fruits/vegetables: Raw broccoli, grape tomatoes, fruit salad (kiwi, etc.), red grapes, spaghetti squash.

• Like 1

Didn't really try to eat well today.

Breakfast. Black tea, Scrambled egg and half piece homemade wheat toast.

Double chocolate cookie.

Half large apple

Lunch. 2 pieces garlic bread and 1 piece chicken with red sauce

Dinner. Chicken, dressing, gravy, peas, cranberry sauce.

I didn't eat a huge amount, but did eat more carbs than I would want. Still upset, so that's my excuse. Also schedule was pretty wonky, so I didn't work out or drink enough water.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Spirea said:

Didn't really try to eat well today.

Breakfast. Black tea, Scrambled egg and half piece homemade wheat toast.

Double chocolate cookie.

Half large apple

Lunch. 2 pieces garlic bread and 1 piece chicken with red sauce

Dinner. Chicken, dressing, gravy, peas, cranberry sauce.

I didn't eat a huge amount, but did eat more carbs than I would want. Still upset, so that's my excuse. Also schedule was pretty wonky, so I didn't work out or drink enough water.

I’m sorry you’ve been upset. It is such a challenge to stick to a meal plan when I’m not in a decent place mentally. It’s like there’s not enough room in the brain to deal with it all. I hope tomorrow feels better. I think you did pretty good actually. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

The morning started out pretty hectic because we ran out of oil and it was so cold in the house. Also, my phone is broken so I ended up hyperfocusing on trying to fix it and then buying a new one. So, I forgot to eat breakfast and by the time I remembered I was ravenous. I needed something that was easy but yoube enough protein to satisfy the hunger because munching on random things set it.  So, 250g of leftover pork loin and roughly 66g of protein later and I'm feeling good!

I desperately need to go to the grocery store because we're basically out of veggies and fruits. Hoping to get that done before lunch.

Lunch: giant salad with chicken thighs

Dinner:  Pot roast with salad

I've lost 2 lbs so far in January!

• Like 4

Slightly odd lunch, but not unhealthy:

Lunch: shrimp, peppers.  Small serving of high protein/low sugar granola with a chopped apple.

Snack: home-made falafel with quark and beetroot ETA: baked crisps

Supper: smoked mackerel with cabbage and something.  Prunes.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Breakfast was microgreens & muesli/beans with blackberries, blueberries, apple, walnuts, 3 seeds, walnut milk

Lunch was leftover veggie spring rolls & spicy peanut dipping sauce

Snack was oranges and strawberries

Dinner is going to be veggie burgers (made of beets, red onion, yellow onion, quinoa, beans, oats) and macaroni salad (my favorite whole food plant based & oil free macaroni salad recipe)

Dessert is tofu/cacao pudding (I was going to make this earlier in the week, but only just got around to it now)

• Like 6

I didn’t want to post because I ate another filet o fish for lunch. 

Dinner was Caribbean red snapper that I overcooked. Side of lentil penne pasta and a ton of wilted spinach. Yay for new fresh produce! 

ETA: 3 glasses of red wine with the surprise visit from dd. I haven’t logged it yet, but I think I’m still within my calorie budget.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

Breakfast. Black tea. Attempted oatmeal but only ate half because I was busy and it got cold and congealed. Tried to eat the rest and it stopped all appetite.

Snack. Green tea. Sliver of coffee cake. I don't know why, I don't even like it without fruit.

Lunch. Huge salad with leftover fajita peppers and very little steak, and chipotle sauce and salsa on top.

Dinner. Huge salad, no dressing. 2 bowls of soup with sausage, gnocchi and greens. About 2" of a breadstick with the other 6" going to the voracious toddler.

I guess I didn't totally blow it but ate more carbs that I should and didn't exercise again.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I did it,

Congrats on the weight loss~

Despite what the calorie counter says you have had a steep deficit to lose that much weight in that amount of time. You could try calorie cycling and do a period of maintenance for a bit to recover your energy.

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Recipe?

I bought a powder called Cacao Maca Superfood Mix (ingredients are dates, cacao, chaga mushroom, maca powder, spice, aswagandha root powder). I blend together one block of silken tofu and two tablespoons of the powder, then chill. It makes a good pudding - chocolatey, but not too sweet. I top it with chopped nuts and dark chocolate mini chips.

• Thanks 1

Week 2 wasn't great for me. Mostly I just didn't have the bandwidth to plan and think about food. I didn't blow it or anything, and I'm still eating way better than I did over break, but I know I could do better if I could just think ahead a bit and plan meals better, enter at least some days on MFP, etc. We are supposed to get dd's caregiver back this week (she was quarantined but I don't think she was sick), I've got Monday off of school, and dd has been pretty stable since seizures last Tuesday/Wednesday. So I'll try again week 3.

• Like 2