Menu

Baking a pecan pie....question

Tap

Pecan pie recipes are so varied!

Light Karo syrup or dark?

Brown sugar or white?

Butter crust or shortening/butter crust.

Par bake the crust or not?

I love pecan pie, but it can be sickening sweet. Anyone have a recipe that is less sweet, but still sets?

I have always used light Karo syrup. The recipe I'm using this year (chocolate pecan pie with bourbon) calls for brown sugar.  

No matter what the recipe says, I always parbake my crusts to avoid sogginess. 

I don't have time to look it up now, but I have seen articles on King Arthur flour on how to reduce sugar/sweetness in recipes. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

My recipe says light Karo and white sugar, but I like the richer taste with dark.

I have never parbaked, but maybe I will now!

All butter or butter/pastured lard crust. No Crisco here! 

Chopped pecans in the pie and halves on top, at least in the middle. Yes, more than the recipe calls for.

Ok, So I did light Karo and sugar. Didn't parbake the crust but did use a full butter crust. Crust wasn't great. I used a different recipe and my regular pie pan was missing, so I use a glass deep dish pie pan. This meant the crust was too thin and didn't cook great. Pie was great and not too sweet. I used 1.5 cups of pecans. Mostly broke in half. The filling was great! I think next time I will use brown sugar and light karo to see how that works. 

But for tonight, it was all quite yummy! Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!

• Like 3