Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

25 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Hmmm.  That sure is interesting.  But the time I got them both together kicked my butt, so now I am scared to do that again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hmmm.  That sure is interesting.  But the time I got them both together kicked my butt, so now I am scared to do that again.

I might try it after my last shot not being such a big deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Edited—actually, let me wait until I’m actually able to read the whole thing before I comment lol

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Amoret said:

I kind of wish they'd gone with the more updated version for fall, but at least the advantage of JN1 is that all manufacturers, including Novavax, have that ready to go. If they chose a more recent strain with the FLiRT mutations, Novavax said they would not be able to have that ready for fall. So I will plan on getting another Novavax when they come out, and just hope it holds up against whatever strains are dominant next fall and winter.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

I kind of wish they'd gone with the more updated version for fall, but at least the advantage of JN1 is that all manufacturers, including Novavax, have that ready to go. If they chose a more recent strain with the FLiRT mutations, Novavax said they would not be able to have that ready for fall. So I will plan on getting another Novavax when they come out, and just hope it holds up against whatever strains are dominant next fall and winter.

This pretty much mirrors my thinking. I would have preferred a more recent strain, but I also want novavax, so I’ll go with that hopefully. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PronghornD said:

How and where do you get Novavax? I called around and could not get it. It seems they only wanted people who had Novavax before, not people who had had the other vaccines.

As far as I know, everyone’s vials expired end of May. I wasn’t getting one right now, so I didn’t follow it closely, I just know I kept hearing about them expiring and people sharing which pharmacies still had unexpired doses left.

https://vaccines.phila.gov/index.php/notices/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-now-expired/

26 minutes ago, PronghornD said:

How and where do you get Novavax? I called around and could not get it. It seems they only wanted people who had Novavax before, not people who had had the other vaccines.

I was able to travel to a Costco pharmacy at a nearby city last fall for Novovax. They didn't ask about previous vaccines. (I had 1 Johnson and 2 Pfizer previously.) Also, you don't have to have a Costco membership to use the pharmacy.

I hope to get Novovax again in the fall. I did not have any side effects, not even a sore arm.

• Like 1

Also got mine at Costco. When you make an appointment online you can specify which vaccine you want (they had all 3), and they also take walk ins. I made an appointment for myself and then asked DD if she wanted to come with me in case they could take us both at the same time and they were fine with that, so we both got Novavax. I will likely get it at Costco again this fall.

Here's a bit more detail on Moderna's combo shot. I wasn't really interested in getting the combo shot because I thought the advantage was just having to make 1 appointment instead of 2, and I didn't want to risk higher side effects, but now with the data that combining them actually boosts response to both vaccines, if Novavax gets their combined shot approved I will probably do this in the future. Too bad it won't be approved in time for this fall season.

"In a study of more than 8,000 adults ages 50 and older, about half received the combination vaccine. The other half—the control group—received two separate shots: Moderna's latest COVID-19 vaccine, which targets the XBB.1.5 variant, and a flu shot (either Fluarix, if people were 50 to 64 years old, or Fluzone HD for those 65 and older).

In the younger group, the combo vaccine generated about 20% to 40% higher levels of antibodies to the influenza strains, and 30% higher levels to XBB.1.5, compared to the control group. Among older people, antibodies were 6% to 15% higher against the flu strains and 64% higher against XBB.1.5 compared to older people in the control group. 

“The real advantage of a single shot is that people only need to get one needle," says Dr. Jacqueline Miller, senior vice president and head of development in infectious diseases at Moderna. There's a public-health advantage, too, she says, since U.S. vaccination rates for both diseases are relatively low. "When we are able to give the two vaccines as one, it could increase vaccine compliance rates, especially for those at highest risk."

Moderna is continuing to study the COVID-19 vaccine and the flu shot used in the combo as separate shots as well. That data will also help the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) when it reviews the company’s request for approval of the combination shot, which could come by the end of the year. The specific strains targeted in the shot will depend on which forms of the viruses are circulating at the time. (The company also filed a request to the FDA on June 7 to update its COVID-19 vaccine to target the JN.1 variant.) 

The combination vaccine will likely not arrive in time for the flu and COVID-19 season this fall. But in coming years, a two-in-one vaccine could help to increase vaccination rates, which in turn could contribute to lower hospitalization rates for both diseases."

Source: article in Time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

now with the data that combining them actually boosts response to both vaccines,

I’m still curious what changed with the combined shot, because I recall last winter (or the one before) some research showing getting the two separate shots at the same time slightly decreased response, but not enough to offset the benefits of someone getting them both. The 64% higher Covid response in elderly is huge though. 

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The combination vaccine will likely not arrive in time for the flu and COVID-19 season this fall. But in coming years, a two-in-one vaccine could help to increase vaccination rates

I’m hoping they will be able to administer the combo in human study participants this Fall so we can have some data on actual illness reduction rates rather than only antibody production. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Silly question, is it only if you get the combined shot in one vial to get the better response?  Or does it work if you had gotten both shots at the same time, like lots of people did this last 2 years?

There have been studies showing both ways. (The first one below was a very small study of just 42 people, only 12 of whom got concurrent shots.)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38567194/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2809119

Edited by KSera
Link edit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I’m still curious what changed with the combined shot, because I recall last winter (or the one before) some research showing getting the two separate shots at the same time slightly decreased response, but not enough to offset the benefits of someone getting them both. The 64% higher Covid response in elderly is huge though. 

2 hours ago, KSera said:

That first study is really interesting: "IgG1 responses to XBB.1.5 spike in individuals who received the bivalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccine concurrently with the influenza vaccine were 6.75-fold higher at peak and 4.69-fold higher at 6 months as compared with those who were administered the 2 vaccines on different days."

I wish that study had distinguished between those who got Pfizer and those who got Moderna, but maybe the numbers were too small for statistical significance. It seems like all the studies (including the 2nd linked study plus 3 other studies cited in that one) that showed slightly lower immune response with concurrent administration used Pfizer.

Novavax is scheduled to start the Phase 3 trial of their combined shot in the fall, so I'll be very interested to see those results.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, Amoret said:

Thanks for this Re wastewater program.   One of the advocacy links was super useful  -- great template and shortcuts to email letters of concern to all the relevant politicians (which I've done).

Near-perfect N95 performance matches my personal experience.  I lasted more than 3 years covid-free while working in an ED with covid in my face daily, before finally catching while on vacation.  Colleagues also can trace their own personal cases to the community, usually either vacation or kids bringing it home.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, wathe said:

Near-perfect N95 performance matches my personal experience.  I lasted more than 3 years covid-free while working in an ED with covid in my face daily, before finally catching while on vacation.

Did you wear an N-95 always at work or just with suspected patients? I thought I remembered you saying you had surgical style masks provided by work for a lot of the time. I know most hospitals are not going back to asking patients to mask, but some still have staff masking during peak respiratory disease season, and they aren’t all providing N95s.

Because of what I think I remember (and personal experience), I wonder if in the context of more people masking at one time (seasonally) if it matters a lot or a little absent a super spreader patient. And then again, adding N95 with confirmed or suspected cases, if that improves it also.

Basically, I don’t foresee hospitals acting on this information except to keep Covid positive healthcare workers and personnel working while ill. 

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Did you wear an N-95 always at work or just with suspected patients? I thought I remembered you saying you had surgical style masks provided by work for a lot of the time. I know most hospitals are not going back to asking patients to mask, but some still have staff masking during peak respiratory disease season, and they aren’t all providing N95s.

Because of what I think I remember (and personal experience), I wonder if in the context of more people masking at one time (seasonally) if it matters a lot or a little absent a super spreader patient. And then again, adding N95 with confirmed or suspected cases, if that improves it also.

Basically, I don’t foresee hospitals acting on this information except to keep Covid positive healthcare workers and personnel working while ill. 

Very early days, when n95's were in very short supply and strictly rationed, we wore surgical masks only for patients with resp illness symptoms and n95 only for suspected covid (resp sx plus travel to certain countries or contact with known cases), then shifted in mid-March 2020 to surgical masks for every patient (the same one for the whole shift), with n95s still  reserved only for suspected covid patients or aerosol generating procedures (the same one for the whole shift, and handed in at the end of the shift in a paper bag with your name on it for cleaning and potential re-use).  As much as possible, I  left my n95 on and delayed switching back to the surgical mask, but the n95s that we had access to in those early days were painful to wear for long ( 3M 8210 and 3M 1860) and caused skin breakdown.  Hospital policy stalled at surgical masks for everyone and n95 only for select indications, but once we got access to Vflex (3M 1804) in Dec 2020, which are much more comfortable, I started to wear one for the whole shift, policy-be-damned.   That's around when covid volumes started to spike in my hospital: delta wave here was very bad; it ripped through nursing homes in early 2021 (killing more than 50% of residents at one local large NH, and causing another one to close because staff were all out sick so all the residents were transferred to hospital AT THE SAME TIME, what a horror show that was) and overwhelmed hospitals +++++.  Supply became plentiful in April 2021 when we got made-in-Canada Aura (#M 1870+).

Currently, my colleagues masking behaviours emcompass the whole range.  Most wear a surgical mask when seeing patients and switch to an n95 only when required by policy (currently acute infectious resp illness pts and AGMP), some wear n95 for their whole shift, and a very very few don't mask at all unless specifically required by policy for a particular patient type.

The air quality in my department is very good -- that also makes a big difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Any advice for those of us who’ve been exposed? Anything we can do right away?

Had to have a medical treatment today, and needed to be unmasked. Another person in the room told the nurse about twenty minutes in that his wife had Covid and was sick in bed. He was taking some herbal supplements. I was hooked up to an IV at that point, and probably spent another twenty minutes with him in the room. 

Ugh.

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Had to have a medical treatment today, and needed to be unmasked. Another person in the room told the nurse about twenty minutes in that his wife had Covid and was sick in bed. He was taking some herbal supplements. I was hooked up to an IV at that point, and probably spent another twenty minutes with him in the room. 

Ugh.

The carrageen nasal spray is supposed to be good for this, having said this I haven't personally seen any benefit (was using it when my daughter tested positive and I came down with it a few days later). However, can't hurt . . .

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Bad news for me (antibodies after vaccination are higher for people with covid vax side effects)...

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M23-2956

That’s interesting (and also not surprising), thanks for sharing. I’d like to see any relationships between vaccine side effects and severity of illness and/or long Covid outcomes.  

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

Ugh.

😭 I hate this timeline. I’m so sorry. This is what makes it crazy for masks to not be mandatory in  health care settings (except for those where it’s not possible—but then everyone else should be). Have you done any kind of nasal spray or rinse? CPC mouthwash? At this point, those are the only things I can think of besides popping zinc all day.  Hopefully the fact that he wasn’t symptomatic (right?) means he wasn’t contagious. Lots of people are symptomatic prior to being infectious these days. 

Edited by KSera
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

Ugh.

I don’t know if anything, but I am super angry on your behalf. This kind of exposure is completely and totally unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Bad news for me (antibodies after vaccination are higher for people with covid vax side effects)...

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M23-2956

That's kind of a weird study, like they threw a ton of stuff at the wall to see what would stick. There was no effect for any adverse symptoms after dose 1, and no effect for most adverse symptoms after dose 2, but there was a statistically significant effect for a few specific (mostly self-reported) symptoms.

For example, there was a positive effect for small increases in "maximum nightly skin temperature" but no effect for increases in "average nightly skin temperature," and a positive effect for self-reported "chills" — but no effect for "fever." Vague self-reported symptoms like "feeling unwell" and "tiredness" were correlated with higher antibodies, but other symptoms, like swollen lymph nodes, joint pain, muscle pain, and soreness at the injection site, had no effect.

Also, they lumped together Pfizer and Moderna on the grounds that there was no statistically significant difference between the two, but it looks like some of those p values were significant before "correction." My last stats course was over 40 years ago so I'm not in any position to comment on the stats in that paper, but I would have liked to see the data for each vaccine separately since a lot of the early vaccine data seemed to show that the Moderna shot, which was more than triple the dose of Pfizer, caused both more adverse symptoms and a higher antibody response.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

Well a quick covid story.  My husband and I tested positive for covid for the first time ever this week.  We were very diligent initially, but much less so the last year.  We attend shows, go to restaurants, mask in healthcare settings or with cold symptoms only.  

Anyway - we are having a super busy month, multiple rounds of travel, tickets for shows, etc etc etc.  It's allergy season, so my sinuses and ears are on and off anyway.  I felt a little like maybe I had a head cold, it was like slightly ramped up allergies.  We had upcoming travel and we had tests, so I tested.  And it blazed positive immediately.  

I can maybe identify 48-72 hours where I was slightly symptomatic.  There was one day where I was blowing my nose.  I tested negative a few days later.  Never had a fever.  Honestly, I only think I developed it because I had 2 bad nights sleep in a row right after when I would have had to have been exposed.  I know I have been exposed many times.  Actually my husband would have been exposed at the same time.  But he didn't get it until I gave it to him.   My spouse is 48 hours in and said he said it's turning around for him already too.  

Anyway - friendly reminder covid can be easily missed!  I am sure the world is just walking around with it now.  I was thinking of it for me more in terms of visiting the elderly, pregnant, etc and maybe doing a test if you have anything sinus-y going on.  

Both spouse and I have been vaxxed like 6 times (I think that's the current number?).  I had VERY strong reactions to some of the earlier vaccines, but almost nothing to the last one.  We're both active outdoors.  I do a good quality multi w/iron, probiotics, elderberry.  I have had VERY few colds/upper respitory things since I added elderberry to my life a number of years ago.  Maybe it's woo, but I'm not stopping now.  Anyway, definitely knocking on all the wood here with that luck.  Stay healthy people!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, catz said:

Anyway - friendly reminder covid can be easily missed!  I am sure the world is just walking around with it now

This is the reason for my sad reaction. But yes, tests are often not catching it until people are starting to feel better now. A negative while symptomatic doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not Covid. Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs 

I’m glad you both had easy rounds of it. I’m seeing quite a lot of people really finding this round tough. It seems possibly like people who have had it a couple times before are the ones I’m seeing more hard experiences from this time. Still remember to rest a lot in the next few weeks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Good article on long covid and children in Australia. It's particularly difficult in Australia because you can't get boosters if you're a child and they're now not even recommending the primary doses. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-16/children-with-long-covid-dismissed-doctors-myth-virus-harmless/103959078

I just came to post this, glad you beat me to it. Incredible to see such a thoroughly detailed article on the challenges for long COVID kids in mainstream media like ABC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Amoret said:

Putrino was a physical therapist and the author of a get-rich-quick book for doctors. Now, he is considered by the media to be one of the foremost experts on long Covid. Yet his unwillingness to even mention the single most effective way of preventing long Covid in kids leads me to question his sincerity.

[strikethrough]Until very recently, Putrino was always masking in public and said so. He was recently pictured at a conference or something without one, but it was unknown if that was just briefly for the picture or what. [\strikethrough]* It does make me wonder if he recently had Covid and changed his practices after (I have zero idea if this is the case, I’m just saying it makes me wonder since I have seen this pattern over and over). There very much seems to be a behavioral impact after people have Covid. Whether this is due to the virus itself, or just the psychological effect that exposure to risk tends to have in diminishing perception of risk, I have no idea. Perhaps it’s more the latter since the effect seems strongest in people who feel unscathed by their first encounter with the virus (and people who have long Covid mostly tend to have the opposite effect). One of the (many) messages that has been insufficiently clear is that each infection increases risk; there is no “risk is over” after a first infection.

No real point to my post. It could either be that he is being pragmatic and talking about the mitigations that are most likely to be palatable to the greatest number of people and/or the piece may be edited and he may have mentioned masks and they may not have included that part.

*eta: I went back and looked, and I was incorrect that Putrino was one of the three Covid researchers that were recently pictured at an event without masks. I lumped him in with the other big names in long Covid, but he wasn’t one of them.

Edited by KSera